Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Bug Reports

Old 06-25-2018, 09:23 AM   #1
ChocolateHawkins
Human being with feelings

Default Missing Plugins Issue / Incl. Other Threads

Hello

I’ve been having an issue with Reaper since last year. I am wondering if any of you had come in to similar issues. There are 3 different issues which all seem to be related to plugins.

1. Sporadically, some of my plugins will not load. I have not changed names, directories, updated anything. Often times a PC reset will correct it. Other times not. I can find them in the FX browser but they don’t load. This affects new plugin adds or plugins in existing projects. I install only 64bit plugins and I have one folder for all those plugins.

2. Some of my plugins have completely disappeared from the FX browser. They are still in the folder and have not changed or moved. I can’t load them because I can’t find them in the browser.

3. And some of the plugins that have disappeared still load if I have them in a saved template. For example, I have Magnetite in a bus template. I can load that up and it works. But if I try to search for it to add it is not there.

There’s no consistency to which plugins disappear. It’s not particular to developers or anything.

Nothing has changed on my PC. It’s a consistent problem across all versions of Reaper 5.xx

When did Reaper change the way it handled scanning VSTs? Because I believe this may have been the major turning point. Before, Reaper would show EVERYTHING. 32bit, 64. Didn’t matter. Now it has the hierarchical folder system. I have ONE folder for all VSTs (64bit only) so this shouldn’t be an issue but it seems to be when this began.

I have found other threads from the past 6 or so months where users have similar issues:

Exact same:
https://forum.cockos.com/showthread....ghlight=plugin

Exact same:

Almost exact same issues:

Similar:

Also similar:

PC Specs:

Reaper latest update
Win 7 64bit
i7 3550
16gb RAM

Last year the problem got so bad I went and bought a new SSD, installed a fresh Reaper, reinstalled all my plugins and it was good for 3 or 4 months and now I'm back in the same place.
ChocolateHawkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2018, 02:15 AM   #2
ivansc

Since I was a participant in most of those threads you cited, I went and re-read them all. In just about every case, either the cause of the problem was established and fixed (usually operator error) or the OP failed to provide information essential to providing a fix, or just plain stopped posting to the thread.

Which leaves us with about 3 of you that still have this or a similar issue.

Excuse me for sounding cynical, but it does appear that this is far more likely to be something you guys are overlooking in your particular setup, or are forgetting to tell us.
Maybe we should all start over on the troubleshooting.
I am more than willing to help, but you DO need to help us too.
Old 12-09-2018, 07:23 AM   #3
nocturn

just a second ago, my super duper organized "add FX" directory structure somehow reset and vanished. i was loading a new plugin for the first time and it crashed reaper, and then windows, xp 32. i rebooted, loaded up reaper, and poof, no directory tree. the plugins are all there, none of my personal catagories they were all nicely, finally, sitting. i have a crappy memory so i label all my plugins as they come in with prefixes in the plugin browser so that i dont have to remember what everything is. i got lucky because that kinda made them group themselves alphabetically when i look under the "all plugins" catagory and i could keep working. now im back trying to figure out what happend. ive been using screensets and theyve been responsible for other defaults changing, like glue/rendering bit depth and other default project settings but ive been using them awile now and in the 10 or so years ive been using reaper, this is a first. are my custom plugin labels next to go? my main structures gone. its an hour of typing and squinting and its such a bixch moving the folders up and down...
it could be my win xp and me stubbornly trying newage plugins on this old bear of a pc , 90% of which dont install, or crash while loading, or crash while mixing, or stop working after a couple sessions, but ive always come back to my defualts intact after a reboot, what is this?
its a little unsettling for me, its an isolated offline pc, legitamate plugins, nothing heavy or experimental/homegrown. sws, reapack, nothing special. im lucky the custom names held on, hope they arent next! any help? insight?
nocturn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2018, 03:13 PM   #4
ivansc

"XP" and "Win32bit" says it all, mostly.

Particularly since from what you say you routinely get crashes etc when trying to install other plugins not designed to work with XP 32.

Maybe its time to break down and update to at least Win7 - ideally 64bit?
Is there a particular reason you are trying to install modern plugs in an elderly system?

Dont get me wrong. I have no beef with you wanting to use an older OS but you also have to be realistic and work within its limitations. That said, have yo tried doing a fresh reinstall of |Reaper and installed it as a portable install? By default this installs a new separate Reaper in its own folder in your C: drive. Becasuse it is separate, it wont mess with your existing installation so you can serially add the paths to your existing plugin locations and keep running it as you add each one till it crashes. In one fell swoop you have eliminated all possible errors caused either by your own customisation of Reaper and any issues you ave within your various plugin directories.

But I would just update to Win7 or above.