Old 02-02-2020, 01:43 PM   #1
Load074
Human being with feelings

Default Vordio and Snap-To-Grid timing issues

I am helping a friend (thousands of miles away) fix the audio on her 80-minute movie. We're using Vordio to make a Reaper session from Final Cut, and it basically works.

However, there are two (related?) problems. First, snap-to-grid seems to be enabled by default in the Reaper project that Vordio creates. I have it turned off in my Project Settings, but Vordio is making the .rpp file. As soon as I open that freshly-created file, it's on. I assume Vordio is making those decisions.

Second, all of files that were converted from .mov have playback rate set to 0.999001. All of the audio files are correct. I can, of course, select all the items and set their rate to "1," but something's up. And even if I do that, the timings are off, b/c they are lined up based on the slowed-down version (plus "snap-to-grid.")

My session winds up ending about eight seconds after the video (which hasn't gone through Vordio/Reaper).

Full disclosure: I'm using Linux, and Vordio is running through Wine. I don't think that should change anything, though. And I'm on the newest Reaper (6.03).

ps I also posted this in "General Discussion." I hadn't noticed this sub-forum; I'll try to delete the other post.
Load074 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2020, 12:26 AM   #2
FixItInPost

Hi Load074,

It looks like a 24fps/23.976fps issue. 23.976fps is actually 24000 / 1001 = 23.97602397602398, and 23.97602397602398 / 24 = 0.999000999000999 or 0.999001 which is the playback rate you're seeing.

I use AATranslator so I'm not familiar with Vordio so perhaps contacting mrlimbic (the developer) would be the best course of action... or wait for a Vordio user to post a more helpful response than mine!
FixItInPost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2020, 12:15 PM   #3
Load074

I'll bet you're right about that 24fps/23.976fps idea. Thanks for your insight; and yes, I'm going to follow up with Vordio, just out of curioustly. But I've gotten everything to workable state now though (by changing all 0.999001 to 1.0000 in the RPP file via text editor).
Old 02-04-2020, 01:10 PM   #4
plush2

I'm glad FixitinPost got to the correct answer for you so quickly. There is a sometimes bug/error when exporting from Finalcut where the exported layout is incorrectly labeled as 24 fps when it's actually 23.976. It's most likely that Vordio was just trying it's best to reconform all that audio from straight time (24 fps) to magic framerate (23.976). Since the issue may have been just the stated frame rate and not the actual layout it follows that the audio would play back correctly when set to 1.000 playback speed.

Text hacking an RPP is just one of those moments when I'm glad I don't have to work solely in PT.
plush2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2020, 12:33 PM   #5
mrlimbic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Load074 View Post
Second, all of files that were converted from .mov have playback rate set to 0.999001. All of the audio files are correct. I can, of course, select all the items and set their rate to "1," but something's up. And even if I do that, the timings are off, b/c they are lined up based on the slowed-down version (plus "snap-to-grid.")
Vordio creator here.

I suspect much is is due to auto rate conform in FCPX being used without the editor being aware thatit is happening.

i.e. If you put 25fps footage on a 23.98 timeline then FCPX stretches the audio so that each video frame can be used. FCPX doesn't indicate it is stretching audio like this, so the editor may be completely unaware it is happening.

Most NLEs don't do this. They will keep audio same rate but drop/repeat video frames to fit instead.

Vordio rate changes FCPX items if the rate-conform tag exists on the clip in the XML to indicate it has been stretched.

Another common FCPX editor gotcha is creating compound clips which have their own timeline parameters. So they may be wrapping their footage in compound clips and didn't notice they picked the wrong frame rate by default for the footage inside the compound clip.

If you send me the XML I can open it in FCPX and compare what is going on.

It's hard to know without looking at it.

Also Vordio 6.0 is coming out soon which has a completely new FCPX converter. I can compare if it handles this situation better and maybe send you a new RPP.

Last edited by mrlimbic; 02-10-2020 at 12:39 PM.
mrlimbic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2020, 11:06 AM   #6
Load074

Hello Mr Limbic, and thanks for your response!

I suspect you're right. I've gotten the session working with just a few tweaks now though. My film-making friend is the one who made the FCP and Vordio-to-Reaper XML files, and I can only imagine the amount of weird settings she may have accumulated in this, her first film foray.

So with Vorido unleashed, I'm up and running now with the project. But I can send you her .fcpxml file in case you're curious, for issues of potential (though unlikely) bug fixing.
Old 02-18-2020, 11:18 AM   #7
mrlimbic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Load074 View Post
Hello Mr Limbic, and thanks for your response!

I suspect you're right. I've gotten the session working with just a few tweaks now though. My film-making friend is the one who made the FCP and Vordio-to-Reaper XML files, and I can only imagine the amount of weird settings she may have accumulated in this, her first film foray.

So with Vorido unleashed, I'm up and running now with the project. But I can send you her .fcpxml file in case you're curious, for issues of potential (though unlikely) bug fixing.
Yes. Send me the .fcpxml file and tell me where the first problematic clip was on the timeline. Always curious to see what people are doing when there are workflow issues. Also if it is a bug I can also compare if it still happens in Vordio 6.0 (coming soon) which has a completely new translation engine.