Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Feature Requests

Old 04-01-2022, 03:39 AM   #1
FeedTheCat
Human being with feelings

Default Option to record MIDI in takes without destructive trimming

Basically I'm proposing an option similar to the existing: Allow trim of MIDI items when splitting,
but for splits that happen during loop recording in takes.

Each take will then contain a copy of the full unaltered MIDI source, but with a different part of the source visible in each take (different source offsets, same as audio takes).

For clarification, in this GIF I'm converting a full MIDI recording (without takes) into the result I'd expect from recording MIDI in takes with this new option enabled.

Why?

Even in the most beat based quantized music, you'll always have notes that come in a bit prior to the 1 beat. (If you don't, your music doesn't groove ) As these notes often tend to be at the end of the loop, they are currently split into two, which causes VST instruments to double trigger. Recording such a "groovy part" in takes is currently not possible. At least not without lots of tedious manual gluing and fixing afterwards. Which brings me to the first benefit:

Benefit 1

You'll now be able to quickly extend MIDI takes a bit, bringing back notes that were cut off and avoiding double triggers:

Currently it looks like this:

(bit out of topic, but note that I'm using take 1 here... MIDI recording during pre-roll would make a LOT of sense with this option!)

Benefit 2:

Being able to drag out any MIDI take to get back the full unaltered performance (similar to audio). Yes, we can currently explode the trimmed takes, but a lot of notes are split and will have to be glued back together manually. Recording MIDI in takes is currently a destructive process!

Thank you for reading this feature request, I'd love to hear your thoughts about it.

Last edited by FeedTheCat; 04-01-2022 at 03:53 AM.
FeedTheCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2022, 08:16 AM   #2
BenjyO

+1
I’d like to see that too.
Old 04-02-2022, 08:08 AM   #3
paaltio

+1

And also as an extension of this I feel recording MIDI you should include anything played during the count-in. At least during the last beat or so, to allow for arpeggiated chords and simply a bit of timing variation.
paaltio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2022, 02:57 AM   #4
FeedTheCat

Quote:
Originally Posted by paaltio View Post
+1

And also as an extension of this I feel recording MIDI you should include anything played during the count-in. At least during the last beat or so, to allow for arpeggiated chords and simply a bit of timing variation.
MIDI pre-roll would be amazing, and it also makes a lot of sense if we ever get this option to leave the whole MIDI source intact (as played).