Old 07-18-2018, 03:25 AM   #1
Jack Winter
Human being with feelings

Default Linux installer

Please note that REAPER for Linux has gotten an install script and desktop/mime support. It is quite flexible and allows several choices to be made, but to make it easy on the new user I'll make the following recommendations.

Chose I to install, and 1 to install it into /opt. Let it install the desktop support and to create the symlink. This will result in having REAPER installed system wide in /opt/REAPER where an uninstall script will also be created. The desktop support will add reaper to the system's start menu (applications), and mime support so that files will be correctly shown in the file browser. The symlink in /usr/local/bin will allow you to start REAPER from a terminal by typing reaper5.

This can also be achieved directly by running: sudo sh install-reaper.sh --install "/opt" --quiet --integrate-desktop --usr-local-bin-symlink

REAPER's userdata will by default be created in ~/.config/REAPER.

Install your license and optional SWELL theming (reaper-license.rk & libSwell.colortheme) into ~/.config/REAPER. Install SWS and Reapack (reaper_sws64.so reaper_reapack64.so) into ~/.config/REAPER/UserPlugins.

Have fun and please let us know about any eventual issues or thoughts on the installation process.

Note that there is no need to install REAPER and the desktop support, you can safely run REAPER out of whatever directory you unpacked it into.
Reaper for Linux Documentation (WIP). Software: Archlinux/KDE, Fabfilter FX, Komplete 8, Nebula, Schwa/Stillwell, T-racks Max/Amplitube/SVX, etc. Gear: i7-2600k/4700HQ/16GB, RME Multiface/Babyface, Behringer X32, Genelec 8040, etc. :)

Last edited by Jack Winter; 07-18-2018 at 03:40 AM.
Jack Winter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2018, 07:15 AM   #2
alextone

I've run the script for the full install and can confirm it works here.

UbuntuStudio 18.10 Bionic Beaver.

I'll test the Debian build on the weekend.

Nice job and thanks to all involved.

Alex.
alextone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2018, 03:08 PM   #3
audiojunkie

What are the best practices for upgrading Reaper versions?

Do we need to uninstall the old version or install over the top of the old version with the new version?

What is the best way (command instructions) for uninstalling cleanly?

Has anyone here tried checkinstall to create custom DEBs?
audiojunkie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2018, 08:35 PM   #4
Justin
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by audiojunkie View Post
What are the best practices for upgrading Reaper versions?

Do we need to uninstall the old version or install over the top of the old version with the new version?

What is the best way (command instructions) for uninstalling cleanly?

Has anyone here tried checkinstall to create custom DEBs?
You can install over with the new version.

To uninstall you can run the uninstall-reaper.sh that it drops in the installation path...
Justin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2018, 09:13 PM   #5
audiojunkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin View Post
You can install over with the new version.

To uninstall you can run the uninstall-reaper.sh that it drops in the installation path...
Excellent!! Thank you Justin! So, is Reaper needing to be compiled? What are the general instructions for installing it after downloading and unzipping it?

(I'm a newbie and have never installed Reaper for Linux (although I've got and use the Windows version regularly).

EDIT: I don't know what I was thinking! Jack Winter gave instructions above in this very thread! I completely forgot about that! Duh! I'm dumb!!

By the way Justin, you have the instructions for building/installing the libswell.so in the readme within the installation, but no actual installation instructions within the file. Might it be a good idea to have general installation instructions within the file itself? Then we newbies wouldn't have to search for this thread each time a new version comes out. :-)

Last edited by audiojunkie; 07-23-2018 at 09:20 PM. Reason: Duh! I'm dumb!
audiojunkie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2018, 08:36 AM   #6
Justin
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by audiojunkie View Post
By the way Justin, you have the instructions for building/installing the libswell.so in the readme within the installation, but no actual installation instructions within the file. Might it be a good idea to have general installation instructions within the file itself? Then we newbies wouldn't have to search for this thread each time a new version comes out. :-)
Adding:
Quote:
Installation:

1) You can run REAPER directly from the extracted .tar.xz -- simply navigate to
REAPER/ and run "reaper5".

By default configuration state will be stored in ~/.config/REAPER. If you want
to keep all configuration with the "reaper5" executable, you can create a file
named "reaper.ini" alongside it, which will cause REAPER to use that directory.

2) If you would like to install REAPER to your system (either globally in /opt,
or in ~/opt) and/or integrate with the desktop environment, you can run the
included "install-reaper.sh" script from the terminal. It will offer you
choices on how to proceed. If you choose to install REAPER, the script will
also generate an uninstall script in order to remove it at a later date.

Upgrading old versions of REAPER:

You can always install a new version over the old version, there is no need to
remove the old version first.
Sound good?

Last edited by Justin; 07-25-2018 at 08:51 AM.
Justin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2018, 09:15 PM   #7
Matt Mayfield

Thank you! The MIME types were kind of a hassle before and it's great to see an install script.

Also, on some machines I've been using REAPER as a portable installation, by unpacking the archive then putting an empty file caller "reaper.ini" in the REAPER folder before running the application. (Then you can use git to keep it in sync across machines.)
Matt Mayfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2018, 02:11 PM   #8
marcoose777

Default AUR packaging blunder

Hi Jack, firstly many thanks for making this great DAW available on linux. I have a question for you, currently Arch linux, and it's subsidiaries, has a reaper package available in the user repos' (https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/reaper/#news). The current PKGBUILD as I've pointed out to the maintainer is grabbing the bundle from the wrong location i.e. landoleet.org. Correct me if I'm wrong, but that file repository is a development portal, not for redistribution. The AUR package should be linking to reaper.fm to redistribute in a repository. If I'm correct could you be a good fellow, and give the maintainer a polite nudge in the correct direction.
Many thanks again for the excellent job of reaper for linux, as a beta it's much better than some 'mature' release software I've come across

Ciao
marcoose777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2018, 02:32 PM   #9
EnkelMagnus

I get an "illegal instruction" on line 396 of the ./install-reaper.sh.

(./install-reaper.sh: rad 396: 8977 Otillåten instruktion (minnesutskrift skapad) $srcpath/reaper)

I run Arch 64 on an old AMD Athlon X2 (is that the issue?).

I ran a previous version before (don't remember which, i compiled LibSwell myself,i remember that) and that one worked just fine.

Any ideas?
EnkelMagnus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2018, 01:00 AM   #10
Jack Winter

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcoose777 View Post
Hi Jack, firstly many thanks for making this great DAW available on linux. I have a question for you, currently Arch linux, and it's subsidiaries, has a reaper package available in the user repos' (https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/reaper/#news).
First of all I'm not a reaper dev nor affiliated with Cockos, just an enthusiastic long time user who has been pushing the Linux cause for many years

Regarding the Arch package I've sent an email about it, hopefully the package will be fixed soon, and even better be renamed reaper-bin and just track the official releases. It made sense to track LoL before, but no longer now that we have official releases for Linux.
Reaper for Linux Documentation (WIP). Software: Archlinux/KDE, Fabfilter FX, Komplete 8, Nebula, Schwa/Stillwell, T-racks Max/Amplitube/SVX, etc. Gear: i7-2600k/4700HQ/16GB, RME Multiface/Babyface, Behringer X32, Genelec 8040, etc. :)
Jack Winter is offline   Reply With Quote