Old 06-17-2015, 08:38 AM   #361
audioguy_on_ca
Human being with feelings

Doesn't the VLC plug-in need to be installed in a components folder in OSX?
"We're like geeky and shit: I'm hanging out on a message board about a recording program. It's kinda expected to be all up in arms about something as ridiculously abstract as 24->16 bit dithering..." -RPR usr nickm
audioguy_on_ca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2015, 09:59 AM   #362
slooky

I cannot get video to play. It starts then freezes. What do I have to do? Downloaded Vlc . Do I need to do something other than Preferences-Vlc? I do not see " make sure OS decoding system is unchecked" Do I need to change from mov.file to another file? I am really rather confused.
slooky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2015, 12:28 PM   #363
airon

Simply do a normal installation of VLC. There is no copying of any extra files necessary.

On Windows, install the 32-bit veersion of VLC if you're using the 32-bit version of Reaper, and the 64-bit version of VLC if you're using the 64-bit version of Reaper.

OSX doesn't require VLC, since its AVFoundation library, that Reaper can use, is much more efficient. If that works well for you, do not bother with VLC on OSX.

The primary reason for bad playback is the video format. Highly compressed H264 MP4 files can be a little problematic. Transcoding them to a smaller frame size and higher bitrate, or a different format like Quicktime PhotoJPEG, can really help.
airon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2015, 12:38 PM   #364
slooky

I got rid of VLC as that didn't work. I installed FFMPEG and put this into Reaper. Still only got 1 second of video before it froze. I tried to Render and I got the whole video to work but I am getting a strobe effect. Now I am going to Render at the slowest speed and see what happens. This is really frustrating.

Last edited by slooky; 07-04-2015 at 06:41 PM.
Old 07-04-2015, 11:05 PM   #365
airon

What is the format of the video ?

The container is Quicktime, mov. What is the codec.?.

If this stuff is confusing, try some google searches on those termsas well.
Old 07-05-2015, 05:12 AM   #366
slooky

File is mov, codec is H264
Old 07-05-2015, 11:09 PM   #367
airon

VLC playback of such a file should work in Windows and OSX.

What version of Reaper are you using ?

I do recommend anyone that wants to try Reaper with video use version 5 of Reaper. It's only available in the Pre-Release forum section right now, but it's easy to find and available for everyone.

It's possible that v4 of Reaper is not compatible with the latest version of VLC(v2.2.1). Reaper 5 is, as I'm using VLC x64 with Reaper 5.0rc4 x64. On Windows, remember to install the 64-bit version of VLC if you're using the 64-bit version of Reaper. That's important, else Reaper won't use VLC.

http://www.videolan.org/vlc/download-windows.html

Last edited by airon; 07-06-2015 at 12:15 AM.
Old 07-06-2015, 12:08 PM   #368
slooky

I have converted video file online
http://convert-video-online.com/

and seems to work fine now
Old 07-22-2015, 01:54 PM   #369
Tod

Hi airon,

I did as you suggested and DLed the latest VLC(v2.2.1), and then installed it.

I'm using REaper 5, 64bit, and after installing VLC my video in Reaper turned solid green, and that's all I get.

I should mention the video was working fine before I installed VLC. I only installed based on your recommendation, so I'm sure it's probably an easy fix.

What do you suggest?
Tod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2015, 06:13 PM   #370
Tod

Just so you know airon, I did manage to get things back working by changing the "Video Priority" with what is on the Wiki.

libav vlc qt:mov,qt,m4v,mp4 dshow:!mov qt

I tried that before I posted and it didn't work but a 2nd effort did it.

I'd still like to get things working the way you suggested.
Old 07-23-2015, 12:17 AM   #371
godly

Probably the version of VLC is to recent? Try an older version. I know there's a topic about it here.
godly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2015, 08:29 AM   #372
Tod

Quote:
Originally Posted by airon View Post
It's possible that v4 of Reaper is not compatible with the latest version of VLC(v2.2.1). Reaper 5 is, as I'm using VLC x64 with Reaper 5.0rc4 x64. On Windows, remember to install the 64-bit version of VLC if you're using the 64-bit version of Reaper. That's important, else Reaper won't use VLC.

http://www.videolan.org/vlc/download-windows.html
Quote:
Originally Posted by godly View Post
Probably the version of VLC is to recent? Try an older version. I know there's a topic about it here.
Thanks godly, yes, I did DL VLC 2.2.1 x64, which I guess is the latest, and I'm also using Reaper 5, ver 0rc8/x64.

Airon mentions Reaper 5.0rc4 x64 above, but that shouldn't make a difference?
Old 08-04-2015, 02:11 AM   #373
Megagoth1702

EDIT: since Reaper 5 is out I have no problems, freaking AMAZING!!!

Hey guys,

I need to sync up some audio to some video but REAPER only shows me a black screen. Can you maybe help me out? I tried following the guide lines in this thread.

These are my preferences.

This my my VLC (64 bit version, just installed it!).

Can you guys help me out? What do I need to troubleshoot here? :-/ I don't even know where to look.

Last edited by Megagoth1702; 08-14-2015 at 03:34 AM.
Megagoth1702 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2015, 10:43 PM   #374
boka

Is there any detailed post / specific information about the update of Reaper's video capabilities? What has been improved? What codecs have been tested? I downloaded version 5 and would like to understand if it's going to be reliable / frame accurate for dialogue editing and ADR. Back in version 4 it was useless for me I had to invest in PT because from post-audio perspective the avid video engine that comes with PT is fantastic.

Thanks.
Old 08-14-2015, 03:35 AM   #375
Megagoth1702

Quote:
Originally Posted by boka View Post
Is there any detailed post / specific information about the update of Reaper's video capabilities? What has been improved? What codecs have been tested? I downloaded version 5 and would like to understand if it's going to be reliable / frame accurate for dialogue editing and ADR. Back in version 4 it was useless for me I had to invest in PT because from post-audio perspective the avid video engine that comes with PT is fantastic.

Thanks.
Hey mate,

please download the updated user manual and read from page 359 (chapter 19) - it's what I am doing right now.

I just came here to say that reaper 5 works flawlessly for my needs and just by accident saw your post, hehe, funny coincidence that we are looking at the same question. But yeah,the user manual is great!
Old 08-14-2015, 03:39 AM   #376
boka

Thanks for the response, I'll check it shortly. Have a great weekend!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megagoth1702 View Post
Hey mate,

please download the updated user manual and read from page 359 (chapter 19) - it's what I am doing right now.

I just came here to say that reaper 5 works flawlessly for my needs and just by accident saw your post, hehe, funny coincidence that we are looking at the same question. But yeah,the user manual is great!
Old 08-16-2015, 10:50 PM   #377
urednik

Hello
PC, R5 64bit, VLC 221 64bit

1st question:
I have got some sliced MTS HD files to combine with reaper audio.
I renamed files to -MKV in order to get them displayed, but I have problems with interlaced video during playback and stuttering video playing the rendered file (the rendered file - webm or lossles) as well as interlacing.
What to do?

Second question:
is the first post still valid for R5, since it was edited months ago?
Do I still need to replace or add any files in order to get good quality video render?
Do I still need the handbrake software in order to get a small file size of the video?

PS My NVIDIA graphic card is NOT WORKING, so I use INTEGRATED intel HD - is this a problem?
W10 (64) Lenovo E540 - SSD; Lenovo B590; W7 (32), Compaq 610 (2.1Ghz core 2 duo, L2 cache, 2GB RAM); DPA 4018, Schoeps MK2, Schoeps MTSC 64, Neumann mk184, AEA Ribbon 88mk, AKG SolidTUBE; Focusrite Scarlett 18i20, recording merely live acoustic music.
urednik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2015, 11:41 AM   #378
airon

Quote:
Originally Posted by urednik View Post
Hello
PC, R5 64bit, VLC 221 64bit

1st question:
I have got some sliced MTS HD files to combine with reaper audio.
I renamed files to -MKV in order to get them displayed, but I have problems with interlaced video during playback and stuttering video playing the rendered file (the rendered file - webm or lossles) as well as interlacing.
What to do?
First, check the frame rate of your project. In Repaer 5, the project frame rate determines what frame rate you see during playback. Toss the MTS file(or renamed to MKV) in to VLC and check the properties of the file. Set the correct frame rate in Reaper if necessary.

It may be a good idea to convert your files with minimal quality losses to a format that is easier for Reaper to use for playback.

A VERY highbitrate H264 MP4 or MKV may be a good candidate. Reaper seems to handle those well. I'm talking 20-50 MBit MP4 files. Handbrake can do this, and keep the b-frame number low for quicker seeking. Run a test on two files and try to intercut them heavily to see if this works, and the render result is satisfactory.

Another good candidate on OSX is Quicktime Prores. Take a look at the different formats and pick a quality/space tradeoff that's right for you. Test it on one or two files.

Quote:
Second question:
is the first post still valid for R5, since it was edited months ago?
Do I still need to replace or add any files in order to get good quality video render?
Do I still need the handbrake software in order to get a small file size of the video?

PS My NVIDIA graphic card is NOT WORKING, so I use INTEGRATED intel HD - is this a problem?
The graphics card means nothing here. Reaper does not use any resources on it, though some Waves plugins may require OpenGL that may or may not work well on the IntelHD graphics chip. Who knows. It means nothing for video editing in Reaper AFAIK.

On OSX you're slightly better off with Reaper 5 in terms of decoding and encoding efficiency, as well as format selection. On Windows you're dependant on the FFMPEG libraries that Reaper brings along, or that you can install yourself for encoding.

Handbrake is simply the better MP4 encoder. It uses all your CPU cores, which FFMPEG does not, and is thus much, much faster. You also get great control over the encoding parameters, whereas in Reaper you get almost none. That's why the inbetweener render formats are a good idea if you want a great result.

The first article needs to be reviewed and updated a little, but it mostly stands.
Old 08-22-2015, 12:08 PM   #379
urednik

Quote:
First, check the frame rate of your project. In Repaer 5, the project frame rate determines what frame rate you see during playback. Toss the MTS file(or renamed to MKV) in to VLC and check the properties of the file. Set the correct frame rate in Reaper if necessary.
It was correct playrate (25)

Quote:
It may be a good idea to convert your files with minimal quality losses to a format that is easier for Reaper to use for playback.

A VERY highbitrate H264 MP4 or MKV may be a good candidate. Reaper seems to handle those well. I'm talking 20-50 MBit MP4 files. Handbrake can do this, and keep the b-frame number low for quicker seeking. Run a test on two files and try to intercut them heavily to see if this works, and the render result is satisfactory.

Another good candidate on OSX is Quicktime Prores. Take a look at the different formats and pick a quality/space tradeoff that's right for you. Test it on one or two files.
This would make large files, whereas original is lossless and smaller filesize. So I rather use youtube upload and download as mp4 then. It is some quality loss, but also much smaller file size.
Would love to have a non-destructive audio/video editor I guess. Because I use primarily audio I can not talk about Vegas or any other video SW.

Quote:
The graphics card means nothing here. Reaper does not use any resources on it, though some Waves plugins may require OpenGL that may or may not work well on the IntelHD graphics chip. Who knows. It means nothing for video editing in Reaper AFAIK.
Ok, thanks.

Quote:
On OSX you're slightly better off with Reaper 5 in terms of decoding and encoding efficiency, as well as format selection. On Windows you're dependant on the FFMPEG libraries that Reaper brings along, or that you can install yourself for encoding.
So should I overwite FFMPEG with the one mentioned in the first post?

Quote:
Handbrake is simply the better MP4 encoder. It uses all your CPU cores, which FFMPEG does not, and is thus much, much faster. You also get great control over the encoding parameters, whereas in Reaper you get almost none. That's why the inbetweener render formats are a good idea if you want a great result.

The first article needs to be reviewed and updated a little, but it mostly stands.
Ok, got that. Thank you for your time.
W10 (64) Lenovo E540 - SSD; Lenovo B590; W7 (32), Compaq 610 (2.1Ghz core 2 duo, L2 cache, 2GB RAM); DPA 4018, Schoeps MK2, Schoeps MTSC 64, Neumann mk184, AEA Ribbon 88mk, AKG SolidTUBE; Focusrite Scarlett 18i20, recording merely live acoustic music.
Old 08-22-2015, 12:23 PM   #380
Tod

Quote:
I've been following your directions pretty much using Reaper-5 for my editing along with a few FX, and I'm quite happy with it.

I've been using Handbrake to create the MP4s.

My main question is that after loading it into Youtube I only have up to 720 for quality. I've created other videos that have 1080 for quality, is the 720 due to it being a MP4?

Although I'm a little disappointed with the YouTube quality, the quality using the Windows Media Player is pretty good.
Old 08-22-2015, 12:30 PM   #381
urednik

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tod View Post
My main question is that after loading it into Youtube I only have up to 720 for quality. I've created other videos that have 1080 for quality, is the 720 due to it being a MP4?

Although I'm a little disappointed with the YouTube quality, the quality using the Windows Media Player is pretty good.
Wait an hour or so after the video is processed on Youtube and you can have it in full HD. But you can not download it on YT with full HD - you need to save it from http://en.savefrom.net/ or similar.

Quality on YT is worse because of big and very efficient compression.
Old 08-22-2015, 12:49 PM   #382
Lawrence

Maybe you R-Vid wizards can help me.

I'm editing a video in Reaper using FIPM and my expectation was that the video on top vertically (in FIPM lanes or positioning) would take precedence, but it seems the other way around, that if videos are stacked in FIPM the video on the bottom always plays. Like below, the first edit is a cut but then another clip is there to cut back but the video on the bottom keeps playing, not the one vertically on top.

Is that backwards and/or is there a setting to change that?

Thanks.
Lawrence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2015, 01:06 PM   #383
Lawrence

Also, has anyone created a preference preset for video editing?

As I go along I noticed that some things need to be switched on or off, for example, I want to snap but only to events, not to grid, and I also had to turn off the automatic fades on media split to get clean cuts.

Is there something one of you guys have already setup preset wise that covers all of that (including the stuff I haven't thought of yet) for video editing? Something you can just load up to have more optimal preference settings for video editing?

Thanks.
Old 08-22-2015, 01:35 PM   #384
nofish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lawrence View Post
Maybe you R-Vid wizards can help me.

I'm editing a video in Reaper using FIPM and my expectation was that the video on top vertically (in FIPM lanes or positioning) would take precedence, but it seems the other way around, that if videos are stacked in FIPM the video on the bottom always plays. Like below, the first edit is a cut but then another clip is there to cut back but the video on the bottom keeps playing, not the one vertically on top.

Is that backwards and/or is there a setting to change that?

Thanks.
In Proect settings -> Video tab there's "Video item visibility" which controls the priority of video items in tracks but I'm not sure if that has effect on video items in lanes (don't have Reaper open atm.)
nofish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2015, 01:44 PM   #385
Lawrence

Ah, yeah. I could use that and just not do lanes, but tracks, thanks.

Honestly, the straight away editing isn't bad at all. The only thing I don't like is that the audio and video are kinda attached at the hip. To use audio from one clip while looking at video from another clip you can't just trim it like you can in a typical editor, you have to put the video in a position where it just won't show, to just hear the audio.
Old 08-22-2015, 01:46 PM   #386
Tod

Quote:
Originally Posted by urednik View Post
Wait an hour or so after the video is processed on Youtube and you can have it in full HD. But you can not download it on YT with full HD - you need to save it from http://en.savefrom.net/ or similar.

Quality on YT is worse because of big and very efficient compression.
Thanks urednik, I'll check that out.

Quote:
As I go along I noticed that some things need to be switched on or off, for example, I want to snap but only to events, not to grid, and I also had to turn off the automatic fades on media split to get clean cuts.

Is there something one of you guys have already setup preset wise that covers all of that (including the stuff I haven't thought of yet) for video editing? Something you can just load up to have more optimal preference settings for video editing?

Thanks.
Hi Lawrence I've been able to snap to events or items by "Disabling Grid Lines" but having "Snap on".

The only preset I've used so far is Item fades affect video and I like how it works.
Old 08-22-2015, 01:56 PM   #387
Lawrence

Thanks. I don't like the auto fades for video because it makes a 20ms fade between cuts. I think that should be disabled by default for video clips tbh, should just not even apply to video clips at all.

As to the other thing, thanks again, I'll try that. I was more wondering if there was a way to just switch preference presets for video editing to change all of those things at once when you edit and then (I guess) choose another preset later when you get back to editing music.
Old 08-22-2015, 03:00 PM   #388
Lawrence

First reasonable video edit in the R. Not bad for straight cuts, a little problematic for the audio though, not having both video and audio on the timeline as separate entities. Cool though.

I've been playing with these same clips in multiple editors and in Reaper the one big drawback was no trimmer.

Old 08-22-2015, 03:20 PM   #389
Tod

Quote:
Thanks. I don't like the auto fades for video because it makes a 20ms fade between cuts. I think that should be disabled by default for video clips tbh, should just not even apply to video clips at all.
Humm, I haven't had that problem at all, the only problem I've had, is if the fades aren't aligned just right, then one of them will black out for a split second.

Other than that I can place video clips back to back and there's no fade what so ever.

You might be getting your auto fades because of a Preference in Reaper. I'm not sure if this is it but check out "Prferences>Media Item Defaults>Create automatic fade-in/fade-out for new items".
Old 08-22-2015, 03:50 PM   #390
Lawrence

Yes. I turned it off. It was set for 10 ms. It's a great option for audio, not so much for video.

I can't imagine why anyone would ever want auto fades on video splits so it seems to me, mmv, that the option should probably not even apply to video splits, just be ignored. I didn't know what it was at first but I noticed the tiny blinking between edits / cuts and zoomed in and saw all of the video edits had tiny fades on them.

Vegas does that also, but only on the audio clips, not the video clips, but of course in Reaper they're both the same clip.

Anyway, basic editing works pretty well. I think they opened up a small can of worms here though. If people using it a lot don't start asking for more and more video function, I'll be surprised,

Last edited by Lawrence; 08-22-2015 at 03:58 PM.
Old 08-22-2015, 07:20 PM   #391
Tod

Quote:
Anyway, basic editing works pretty well. I think they opened up a small can of worms here though. If people using it a lot don't start asking for more and more video function, I'll be surprised,
Yeah, for me the first thing is to have a little better video rendering. Now maybe it can be done, I'm just learning the video thingy.

Like I mentioned above, I was disappointed with a previous video I made. Today I made a video of some pictures as well as a video of a major fire we had just across the road from me a couple of weeks ago.

I started out to do it in Reaper but couldn't get some various sizes to line up. I ended up doing it in Movie Studio Platinum 12 and the quality was much better. Maybe there's some things in Handbreak that can improve the quality, not sure.

This it the video I made today, I think the quality is pretty good.

https://youtu.be/MS8z9eomSRM

EDIT: Incidentally, how do you guys get those thumbnails to work on you links?

Last edited by Tod; 08-22-2015 at 07:32 PM.
Old 08-24-2015, 04:10 AM   #392
G-Sun

I'm testing out a video-edit.
Downloaded vlc
Are these settings ok for e.g. YouTube:

?
G-Sun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2015, 04:13 AM   #393
G-Sun

Well, that crashed Reaper.
Had a successful export before installing vlc.
Old 08-24-2015, 04:22 AM   #394
airon

Vlc is not used AFAIK for encoding. Thats all the Ffmpeg lbraries. By default you only get a few free formats.

In any case, I recommend exporting to something like MKV, huffyuv, 24-bit pcm audio, and then transcoding that with Handbrake to an MP4 of at least 10 Mbit (256 kbit AAC for audio), for upload to Youtube.

Maybe I should write an FAQ in PDF form.
Old 08-24-2015, 04:27 AM   #395
G-Sun

Quote:
Vlc is not used AFAIK for encoding. Thats all the Ffmpeg lbraries. By default you only get a few free formats.

In any case, I recommend exporting to something like MKV, huffyuv, 24-bit pcm audio, and then transcoding that with Handbrake to an MP4 of at least 10 Mbit (256 kbit AAC for audio), for upload to Youtube.

Maybe I should write an FAQ in PDF form.
Thanks!

Read in the manual that vlc was recommended, so that's why I tried it.

Uninstalled vlc, tried your suggestion. Still crashing
Old 08-24-2015, 06:34 AM   #396
G-Sun

Reinstalled vlc. Using these settings in pref:

Still crash and no export.

Have tried disabling vlc-codecs, but no change.
They where also still present as above when I had uninstalled it.
Old 08-24-2015, 06:37 AM   #397
G-Sun

Here's my project-settings:
Old 08-24-2015, 06:47 AM   #398
G-Sun

Ok, got it working again.
Set audio sample-rate back from 48khz to 44,1khz.

Was an error in project settings vs. render-settings for sample-rate.

Tried both at 48khz, and works

Just me being new to video. Cool that Reaper now seems like a usable video-editor.

Old 08-24-2015, 07:15 AM   #399
G-Sun

Quote:
This is extremely slow. Like 0,2x realtime on my i5.
Then recoding..
Old 08-24-2015, 07:21 AM   #400
urednik

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Sun View Post
This is extremely slow. Like 0,2x realtime on my i5.
Then recoding..
Welcome to the video world ...
It won't get much faster!