Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER General Discussion Forum

Old 12-02-2022, 07:36 AM   #1241
helgoboss
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by klong View Post
I wanted to try this tonight and bought the license (~22 usd) but it looks like it isn't going to work on my M1 Macbook Air, as the plugin is x86_64 only (not Apple Silicon), and it needs to run in "native mode" in REAPER and not bridged, which is the only way to run x86_64 intel plugins on Apple Silicon .. wrote the developer to see if there is any workaround
The workaround for now is to use the x64 REAPER version with Rosetta. Playtime 1 will not get Silicon builds anymore, but ReaLearn (which will be the plug-in on which Playtime 2 is based) has Silicon builds already ... so full Silicon support can be expected as soon as Playtime 2 sees the light of the world.

Quote:
Originally Posted by biasply View Post
Hi All,
I'm very new to Playtime, but I'm getting it together pretty quickly.
It's a great solution for a replacement workflow using Reaper instead of Ableton.

I have my Launchpad Mini (original) playing clips from the Playtime grid just fine, but there's no feedback at all to my Mini. I can confirm it does the usual boot and shutdown visuals, just nothing while in use in Reaper. I'm sure I'm missing a toggle of some sort somewhere.

Any help, greatly appreciated.

Cheers!
To enjoy feedback in Playtime 1, it's necessary to add a hardware send to your controller (in REAPER's track routing window). That might be the reason. Another reason ... I'm not sure if I added a "Launchpad Mini" preset back then, did I? The "Launchpad" preset might not be compatible with the Launchpad Mini. In that case, you would need to roll your own controller preset as described in
https://www.helgoboss.org/projects/p...own-controller
helgoboss is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2022, 08:21 AM   #1242
biasply

To enjoy feedback in Playtime 1, it's necessary to add a hardware send to your controller (in REAPER's track routing window). That might be the reason. Another reason ... I'm not sure if I added a "Launchpad Mini" preset back then, did I? The "Launchpad" preset might not be compatible with the Launchpad Mini. In that case, you would need to roll your own controller preset as described in
https://www.helgoboss.org/projects/p...own-controller[/QUOTE]

Thanks @helgoboss, the hardware send seems to be part of it, but it's weird (two red pads and nothing changes when I press something), so I think I have to roll my own. At least this gets me exactly what I need!

EDIT/UPDATE: I wasn't able to find the controller folder in the location specified in the roll your own link, however, checking my install log, I discovered they were installed here: C:\ProgramData\Playtime\controllers. Yes there is one for Launchpad Mini, and it has lights specified in the json. It would seem likely that since i can trigger clips, it must be accessing the controller JSON, but for some reason ignoring the lights/feedback instructions. Weird. I'm gonna keep at it.

EDIT/UPDATE 2: Got lights working about 80% normal, good enough for the functions I need. Colours and behaviour are a bit off, but workable.

Last edited by biasply; 12-02-2022 at 10:30 AM.
biasply is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2022, 08:00 PM   #1243
dbonejones

Hi all,

I'm having trouble editing AUDIO clips recorded in Playtime 1. Whenever I double click on an audio file it zooms to the clip on the timeline and zooms the track, but the clip is not visible, it's hidden somehow.

Everything else seems to work normally. Any insight would be helpful!

Edit: Figured it out, turned off "free positioning" on the track.

Last edited by dbonejones; 01-02-2023 at 08:03 PM. Reason: solved
dbonejones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2023, 10:41 AM   #1244
tjaardvandervaalt

Default Launch next scene, stop previous clip

Hello,

I need help with playtime vst. For my use, I need a midi controlled next-scene launcher, like on Ableton. But I can only find the scene-stop button. Is there a launch next scene button or midi function hidden someplace?

Also, I have clips from a previous scene that are supposed to run longer than the scene itself, and continue into the next ones (f.ex., drones). This works fine, but despite the track being in exclusive mode, the clip will not stop eve if I put a silent track in below it. It just goes on. Is there a stop button function, like in Ableton?

And what is the difference between a track and a group, they tend to transform independently of my will...

Thanks!
tjaardvandervaalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2023, 04:38 PM   #1245
mschnell

Welcome to the Reaper forums !
AFAIK, "Playtime 2" is on it's way.

-Michael
mschnell is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2023, 10:05 AM   #1246
algx

Default Playtime 2

Hi
What's the likely release date of version 2? And will there be free updates from version 1?

The reason I ask is because I'm thinking of using it but if version 2 is imminent then I don't want to be left on version 1.

Thanks
algx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2023, 02:23 PM   #1247
andy79

Hello,

Is Playtime 2 going to be compatible with Novation Launchpad Pro and the like?

Thanks
andy79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2023, 04:49 PM   #1248
helgoboss

Quote:
Originally Posted by algx View Post
Hi
What's the likely release date of version 2? And will there be free updates from version 1?

The reason I ask is because I'm thinking of using it but if version 2 is imminent then I don't want to be left on version 1.

Thanks
Playtime 2 release is not imminent but I plan to send discount codes to Playtime 1 customers that can be used to purchase Playtime 2 for the price difference (so that there's no disadvantage buying Playtime 1 now). Playtime 2 will definitely have a higher price than Playtime 1.
Old 02-01-2023, 04:55 PM   #1249
helgoboss

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy79 View Post
Hello,

Is Playtime 2 going to be compatible with Novation Launchpad Pro and the like?

Thanks
Yes. Not all controllers will be supported at first, but I will improve support gradually.
Old 02-03-2023, 01:48 PM   #1250
andy79

Quote:
Originally Posted by helgoboss View Post
Yes. Not all controllers will be supported at first, but I will improve support gradually.
Great news! Looking forward to the release, thanks for this great app!
andy79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2023, 06:40 PM   #1251
brummbear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doflow View Post
Hi, I noticed this behavior and pinpointed it was introduced in v6.54.
v6.53 works fine.
I don't know which change caused this, but it's kind of annoying, imho.

Any progress on v2 or maybe a small update on v1?

I love Playtime and use it all the time in a pretty mature setup (live looping with a lot of customization scripted around Playtime and ReaLearn). The graphics glitch is quite annoying indeed although it does not affect the actual performance. Has anyone been able to figure out why this happens and if there is anything we can do about it?

EDIT:
So I found out where the problem originates from: It is about 'Media Item Positioning'. Reaper moved the setting which previously was 'show overlapping items in lanes' to the preferences where it is now 'offset overlapping media items vertically'. It is the same thing just with a different name (to avoid confusion with track lanes which is a feature under development). However, the change has lead to the peculiar glitch as seen on the screenshots from daniellumertz https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?p=2510913. One way of getting rid of the glitch is to force collapsing of free item positioning in the same preference section 'Media Item Positioning' by e.g. setting the pixel limit really high. But that is of course not desirable if you want to see all items in "lanes" = "vertically offset". Funnily it does work if more than one item is playing in playtime on one track! In that case the items do align properly vertically offset in one single track rather than the red shade all across the screen. But if there is only one item playing then the glitch happens. Whatever happened in the change in Reaper it obviously does not like whatever Playtime communicates via the API when only one item plays on the track. Reaper then miscalculates the proper vertical offset. It only works with multiple items or - of course - if vertical offsetting is suppressed via the first trick.

Neither solution is really satisfactory.

Last edited by brummbear; 02-28-2023 at 03:02 PM.
brummbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2023, 03:34 PM   #1252
brummbear

Yet another update on the graphics glitch. I think what happens is that Playtime "fights" Reaper in the following fashion: Playtime seems to try to achieve what Reaper already does natively now, i.e. displaying the items in "lanes". Playtime does that by configuring a track that stores items (= clips in Playtime language) with 'Free Item Positioning'. It then positions the items in a way that they appear in "lanes", i.e. vertically offset. However, Reaper itself can arrange the items automatically in such a manner. It does that via the settings I was talking about above under preferences (and of course 'Offset overlapping media items vertically' enabled under Options).

There would be multiple ways to solve this problem. E.g. If Playtime would not force 'Free item Positioning' on the tracks (it does so every time when you record, even if you switch it off per track beforehand via right mouse click menu) the problem goes way and you can still enjoy a proper layout by letting Reaper arrange the items as defined in preferences. This would be my preferred way, it would only take a small change in Playtime, i.e. not force this setting.

Wondering if Ben would be willing to do that. I tested by constantly right clicking the track in different scenarios and always disabling 'Free Item Positioning' whenever Playtime sets it to enabled and it works fine. I even prefer the fact that with this one can fine tune the overlap via Reaper's preferences.
Old 03-01-2023, 08:50 AM   #1253
helgoboss

Quote:
Originally Posted by brummbear View Post
Yet another update on the graphics glitch. I think what happens is that Playtime "fights" Reaper in the following fashion: Playtime seems to try to achieve what Reaper already does natively now, i.e. displaying the items in "lanes". Playtime does that by configuring a track that stores items (= clips in Playtime language) with 'Free Item Positioning'. It then positions the items in a way that they appear in "lanes", i.e. vertically offset. However, Reaper itself can arrange the items automatically in such a manner. It does that via the settings I was talking about above under preferences (and of course 'Offset overlapping media items vertically' enabled under Options).

There would be multiple ways to solve this problem. E.g. If Playtime would not force 'Free item Positioning' on the tracks (it does so every time when you record, even if you switch it off per track beforehand via right mouse click menu) the problem goes way and you can still enjoy a proper layout by letting Reaper arrange the items as defined in preferences. This would be my preferred way, it would only take a small change in Playtime, i.e. not force this setting.

Wondering if Ben would be willing to do that. I tested by constantly right clicking the track in different scenarios and always disabling 'Free Item Positioning' whenever Playtime sets it to enabled and it works fine. I even prefer the fact that with this one can fine tune the overlap via Reaper's preferences.
Hi brummbaer. To be honest, I can't do Playtime 1 changes at the moment, not even small ones ... or to be more specific, I can't compile/release them. I'm away from home for quite a while and only have my ARM MacBook with me. Even back home, it would be more effort than one might think because I would have to restore the build environment (on Win and macOS). Unfortunately, Playtime 1 build requirements/docs are much worse and old-school compared to that of ReaLearn/Playtime2.
Old 03-01-2023, 06:44 PM   #1254
brummbear

Quote:
Hi brummbaer. To be honest, I can't do Playtime 1 changes at the moment, not even small ones ... or to be more specific, I can't compile/release them. I'm away from home for quite a while and only have my ARM MacBook with me. Even back home, it would be more effort than one might think because I would have to restore the build environment (on Win and macOS). Unfortunately, Playtime 1 build requirements/docs are much worse and old-school compared to that of ReaLearn/Playtime2.
I understand! The change is tiny from a development perspective but the administration around it is a different story. I have a wacky workaround in my specific setup which is CPU efficient because I trigger everything in Playtime via MIDI. Maybe I can come up with a more universal approach that works for others too. It will still be wacky (i.e. likely a running script that periodically checks if Free Item Mode got enabled on specific Playtime tracks just to unset it again). If so, I will publish it here. Anyway, it is more of a nuisance than a deal breaker. Playtime still works with the glitch. Take care.
Old 03-03-2023, 03:07 PM   #1255
brummbear

Default Playtime Whack A Mole

So... updated to Reaper v6.77 and the graphics glitch now presents itself in yet another fashion probably due to recent updates when calculating item height etc: Now, when only one item plays on a track it is not visible at all anymore on the timeline. Sigh. The annoying red shade as in previous versions of Reaper is gone, but no item at all is also not great. As soon as multiple items play simultaneously on one track all is good again.

I caved and wrote a script which remedies the graphics problems: "Playtime Whack A Mole Workaround (TM)".
https://stash.reaper.fm/v/46460/Play...Workaround.lua

It runs in the background and is very resource friendly. See code comments for details. What it basically does it puts Playtime under surveillance and squashes "Free Item Positioning" every time when Playtime sets this to enabled.

Reaper Settings for this script to work nicely:
Project Settings -> Item mix behavior = Items alway mix (otherwise Playtime Exclusive Mode = Off won't work as expected)
Options -> Offset Overlapping Media Items Vertically = Enable (simultaneously playing items will be nicely shown on tracks, can be fine tuned under Options -> Preferences -> Appearance -> Media Item Positioning

Code:
-- Playtime Graphics Glitch Workaround "Whack A Mole" (TM)
-- Author: brumbear

-- Reaper Settings for this script to work nicely:
-- Project Settings -> Item mix behavior = Items alway mix (otherwise Playtime Exclusive Mode = Off won't work as expected)
-- Options -> Offset Overlapping Media Items Vertically = Enable (simultaneously playing items will be nicely shown on tracks, can be fine tuned under Options -> Preferences -> Appearance -> Media Item Positioning

function main()

-- Assemble list of tracks that contain Playtime
    -- Scan only one track at a time in each defer cycle (1/30s) for performance reasons
    total_trackcount = reaper.CountTracks(0) - 1
    if total_trackcount >= 0 then
        if i <= total_trackcount then
            -- scan next track
            track = reaper.GetTrack(0, i)
            if reaper.TrackFX_AddByName(track, "Playtime (Helgoboss)", false, 0) > -1 or reaper.TrackFX_AddByName(track, "Playtime Worker (Helgoboss)", true, 0) > -1 then
                pt_trackcount = pt_trackcount + 1 -- tracklist starts with index 1
                tracklist[pt_trackcount] = track
            end
            i = i + 1
        else
            -- reached end of all tracks in project
            delta = total_pt_tracks - pt_trackcount
            if delta > 0 then
                -- shorten list when Playtime tracks get removed
                for j = 1, delta do
                    tracklist[pt_trackcount+j] = nil 
                end
            end
            total_pt_tracks = pt_trackcount
            -- start from beginning
            i = 0
            pt_trackcount = 0
        end
    end

-- Whack a Mole: Every time when Playtime sets Free Item Positioning to enabled unset it again = "whack a mole"
    play_state = reaper.GetAllProjectPlayStates()
    if total_pt_tracks > 0 and play_state > 0 then
        for j = 1, total_pt_tracks do
         if reaper.GetMediaTrackInfo_Value(tracklist[j], "I_FREEMODE") == 1 then
                reaper.SetMediaTrackInfo_Value(tracklist[j], "B_FREEMODE", 0) -- "WHACK IT"
                -- parameter name should actually be "I_FREEMODE" according to API docs. Bug reported here: https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=276792
                -- reaper.SetMediaTrackInfo_Value(tracklist[j], "I_FREEMODE", 0)
            end
        end
    end

reaper.defer(main)

end

tracklist = {}
pt_trackcount = 0
total_pt_tracks = 0
i = 0
main()
Old 03-12-2023, 06:08 AM   #1256
AndreiMir

Hello, are there any updates planned at all? New versions of Reaper are coming out and some things are no longer working as we would like...
AndreiMir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2023, 06:09 AM   #1257
AndreiMir

Quote:
Originally Posted by brummbear View Post
So... updated to Reaper v6.77 and the graphics glitch now presents itself in yet another fashion probably due to recent updates when calculating item height etc: Now, when only one item plays on a track it is not visible at all anymore on the timeline. Sigh. The annoying red shade as in previous versions of Reaper is gone, but no item at all is also not great. As soon as multiple items play simultaneously on one track all is good again.

I caved and wrote a script which remedies the graphics problems: "Playtime Whack A Mole Workaround (TM)".
https://stash.reaper.fm/v/46460/Play...Workaround.lua

It runs in the background and is very resource friendly. See code comments for details. What it basically does it puts Playtime under surveillance and squashes "Free Item Positioning" every time when Playtime sets this to enabled.

Reaper Settings for this script to work nicely:
Project Settings -> Item mix behavior = Items alway mix (otherwise Playtime Exclusive Mode = Off won't work as expected)
Options -> Offset Overlapping Media Items Vertically = Enable (simultaneously playing items will be nicely shown on tracks, can be fine tuned under Options -> Preferences -> Appearance -> Media Item Positioning

Code:
-- Playtime Graphics Glitch Workaround "Whack A Mole" (TM)
-- Author: brumbear

-- Reaper Settings for this script to work nicely:
-- Project Settings -> Item mix behavior = Items alway mix (otherwise Playtime Exclusive Mode = Off won't work as expected)
-- Options -> Offset Overlapping Media Items Vertically = Enable (simultaneously playing items will be nicely shown on tracks, can be fine tuned under Options -> Preferences -> Appearance -> Media Item Positioning

function main()

-- Assemble list of tracks that contain Playtime
    -- Scan only one track at a time in each defer cycle (1/30s) for performance reasons
    total_trackcount = reaper.CountTracks(0) - 1
    if total_trackcount >= 0 then
        if i <= total_trackcount then
            -- scan next track
            track = reaper.GetTrack(0, i)
            if reaper.TrackFX_AddByName(track, "Playtime (Helgoboss)", false, 0) > -1 or reaper.TrackFX_AddByName(track, "Playtime Worker (Helgoboss)", true, 0) > -1 then
                pt_trackcount = pt_trackcount + 1 -- tracklist starts with index 1
                tracklist[pt_trackcount] = track
            end
            i = i + 1
        else
            -- reached end of all tracks in project
            delta = total_pt_tracks - pt_trackcount
            if delta > 0 then
                -- shorten list when Playtime tracks get removed
                for j = 1, delta do
                    tracklist[pt_trackcount+j] = nil 
                end
            end
            total_pt_tracks = pt_trackcount
            -- start from beginning
            i = 0
            pt_trackcount = 0
        end
    end

-- Whack a Mole: Every time when Playtime sets Free Item Positioning to enabled unset it again = "whack a mole"
    play_state = reaper.GetAllProjectPlayStates()
    if total_pt_tracks > 0 and play_state > 0 then
        for j = 1, total_pt_tracks do
         if reaper.GetMediaTrackInfo_Value(tracklist[j], "I_FREEMODE") == 1 then
                reaper.SetMediaTrackInfo_Value(tracklist[j], "B_FREEMODE", 0) -- "WHACK IT"
                -- parameter name should actually be "I_FREEMODE" according to API docs. Bug reported here: https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=276792
                -- reaper.SetMediaTrackInfo_Value(tracklist[j], "I_FREEMODE", 0)
            end
        end
    end

reaper.defer(main)

end

tracklist = {}
pt_trackcount = 0
total_pt_tracks = 0
i = 0
main()
Great, I'll try it now!!!
Old 03-12-2023, 07:16 AM   #1258
AndreiMir

Default uu

https://gifyu.com/image/S7oF4
How to make a midi recording without repeated silence before and after recording? I tried to change the settings, but it still works

Last edited by AndreiMir; 03-12-2023 at 07:36 AM.
Old 05-01-2023, 06:18 AM   #1259
krahosk

Quote:
With the same honesty, will PLaytime 2 be available for Linux?
krahosk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2023, 07:22 AM   #1260
TonE

Yes, it is built into realearn already. You can use it now. Only without any gui. Headless playtime or clip engine.
TonE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2023, 05:42 AM   #1261
deseipel

Default Video performance with Playtime

hi there, I use Playtime to trigger mostly one-shot video samples. The issue I'm seeing is that if I'm using an arpeggiator, the video is triggered correctly but the cpu usage jumps to 40-50% in some cases (but not always). Lowering resolution seems to help a bit. Any ideas?

I suspect this is more of an issue with how video is decoded rather than how Playtime is handling it. If Reaper supported the HAP codec and preloading videos, then the cpu wouldn't have to work as hard since HAP is decoded on the GPU.

Last edited by deseipel; 08-08-2023 at 06:13 AM.
deseipel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2024, 01:09 PM   #1262
brummbear

Default Reaper V7.10 breaks important Playtime functionality

Recording of clips breaks with V7.10, see

https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=288171

EDIT: Problem will be solved in Reaper 7.11 (see details in linked thread if you are interested). For those using Playtime 1 and recording audio clips you should use Reaper 7.09 or earlier until 7.11 gets released.

Playtime 1 is still going strong in my opinion, amazing capabilities especially as a live looper.

Last edited by brummbear; 02-11-2024 at 11:16 AM.
Old 02-11-2024, 10:48 AM   #1263
Ape_Din

any news? still waiting for version 2
Ape_Din is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2024, 02:30 PM   #1264
helgoboss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ape_Din View Post
any news? still waiting for version 2
Feel free to join the early-access testing (write to info@helgoboss.org).