Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER for Linux

Old 09-26-2019, 04:29 PM   #1
scotchi
Human being with feelings

Default Know of open source VSTs where you can drag and drop from external windows?

Hi folks --

In the last couple of weeks I've been trying to get drag and drop working for Sitala (and for that matter, any JUCE-based plugin) on Linux.

At the moment I've got it working on Bitwig and Tracktion, but not in Reaper. In fact, at the moment, I can't get drag and drop from external windows (e.g. Gnome's Files) to plugin windows working in LinVst either, though I'd swear that used to work. It does work to ReaSamploMatic.

I've been using LinVst as an example since I can read its source code and try to emulate what it does, but again, it's no longer working for me. So, questions:

- Has anyone noticed drag and drop in Reaper + LinVst breaking recently? Did you discover the root of things? For me it didn't work on either my laptop or desktop (both Ubuntu) not in a Debian VMWare instance.

- Does anyone know of an open source VST where drag and drop presently does work in Reaper? It'd be good to have a second source to dissect and see if I can figure out what we're (or rather, JUCE is) doing differently.

If anyone has info that would help us track this down, it'd be much appreciated.
scotchi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2019, 04:38 PM   #2
SmajjL

I am new with WINE but got Kontakt working for ex and I did notice I could not drag from REAPERs explorer, had to use Kontakts own browser and since I am new, I though this was normal and maby a Linux under construction thing? this have worked before? ahh, you swear & stuff oki, hmm
I am about to re-install Linux right now and will try again, but yes, it did not work few days ago.

I'll be on Mint Cinnamon (Ubuntu compatible one) and try sooonish

SmajjL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2019, 01:22 AM   #3
scotchi

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmajjL View Post
I though this was normal and maby a Linux under construction thing? this have worked before? ahh, you swear & stuff
I'm specifically referring to dragging from external windows, like the system file browser, not from windows inside the host. LinVst specifically notes that dragging from inside of the host to the plugin windows doesn't work.
Old 09-27-2019, 07:19 AM   #4
Glennbo

WINE and Linux are on different planets. Something you might try, and I don't know if it will work, is to fire up a Windows file manager by issuing the command,

wine explorer

which will give you a file browser from WINE. Then see if you can drag and drop from it, since it is on the same planet as WINE.
Glennbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2019, 07:44 AM   #5
scotchi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glennbo View Post
WINE and Linux are on different planets.
Drag and drop between GNOME File Manager and LinVst works in both Tracktion and Bitwig, so the question isn't if that can work.

And again, I'm just using LinVst as an example -- I'm asking if anyone knows of any other examples of specifically open source plugins for Linux / Reaper where drag and drop does work. I don't have any special interest in getting LinVst working.
Old 09-28-2019, 11:02 AM   #6
SmajjL

Quote:
Originally Posted by scotchi View Post
I'm specifically referring to dragging from external windows
Ahh & ohh? well that, I never do that unless someone ask me to, and that have never happened.
From REAPERs media explorer, I expect it to work because when it doesn't, I go *doh!!*
And my small example was just into Kontakt, maby a WINE/Kontakt thing, I dunno.

SmajjL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2019, 04:20 AM   #7
chuckwood

Not open source but you can't drag and drop to Renoise Redux within Reaper linux either. Tal sampler converted into linvst also doesn't work on my system. (Ubuntu studio 19.10)

Is anyone able to get drag and drop working into vst plugins in Reaper linux? This would really make my life easier if this was possible.
chuckwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2019, 05:01 PM   #8
azslow3

If that is so important, why just not check what is not working?
The behavior is defined here: https://www.freedesktop.org/wiki/Specifications/XDND/
Usual toolkits (Qt, GDK) use documented wrappers.

REAPER on Linux is SWELL based, which in turn is GDK based. Note that plug-in parent window is "a hack" in SWELL.

So checking what is working and what is not is strait-forward.
Well, I have never used JUCE (and probably will never do...). If it is not possible to get XID and hook raw messages interceptor, it can be a bit more problematic.
azslow3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2019, 08:57 PM   #9
JamesPeters

Quote:
Originally Posted by azslow3 View Post
If that is so important, why just not check what is not working?
I think the answer is "because the rest of your post makes no sense to most of us: the uneducated/unwashed masses".

Thanks for posting the info, though! Hopefully it helps.
JamesPeters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2019, 03:48 AM   #10
chuckwood

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesPeters View Post
I think the answer is "because the rest of your post makes no sense to most of us: the uneducated/unwashed masses".

Thanks for posting the info, though! Hopefully it helps.
Yup, that sums it up for me! I assumed that the post was directed at the O.P. who is a programmer or perhaps at the reaper devs rather than towards my post, as I am indeed one of those unwashed.
It looks useful to either of those though so thanks.
chuckwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2019, 01:06 AM   #11
azslow3

Yes, the question was to OP or other programmers which try to IMPLEMENT D&D in own plug-ins. Sorry, I have not realized the rest of discussion is between users

The question was practical. If OP does not know how to check what is going on, I can check that (I have recently digged into SWELL/GDK and X11 protocols deep). But it can happened the implementations OP could see are outside of specification or particular framework block required behavior. There is no reason to check nor write low level example then...
azslow3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2019, 07:16 AM   #12
scotchi

Quote:
Originally Posted by azslow3 View Post
Yes, the question was to OP or other programmers which try to IMPLEMENT D&D in own plug-ins. Sorry, I have not realized the rest of discussion is between users

The question was practical. If OP does not know how to check what is going on, I can check that (I have recently digged into SWELL/GDK and X11 protocols deep). But it can happened the implementations OP could see are outside of specification or particular framework block required behavior. There is no reason to check nor write low level example then...
Just saw this now.

I did dig pretty deep, but I actually wasn't entirely sure what the correct behavior is and wanted to find an example of D&D working to see if I could pattern things off of that. I already patched JUCE and got it working for other hosts, but haven't had any luck with Reaper. I thought I remembered seeing D&D work at some point, so I was curious if I could find an example to pattern things off of. LinVst has code specifically for Reaper D&D in it, so I assume it worked at some point, but on my machines neither the LinVst code, nor mine based off of it worked for current Reaper. Might be worth another spin with v6.