Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER for Linux

Old 08-09-2019, 12:26 PM   #41
Glennbo
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesPeters View Post
Again, use whatever you want. I just object to your use of strong language that implies SWS is a problem waiting to happen. So is every piece of software, if you look at it under that kind of lens. Any software/plugins/extensions can have bugs and/or incompatibility. SWS goes through "growing pains" once in a while as Reaper matures, but they get ironed out and/or more native actions get added to Reaper.

Currently there are improvements to Reaper's UI efficiency (in the pre-release builds), and some aspects of the API were modified. That broke some compatibility with some aspects of SWS. Justin fixed it within a couple days. All this happened during pre-release dev builds, so the only people who would've noticed are the ones using the pre-release builds. I offered the built (latest) SWS files knowing how chicken you are about building things. But no good deed goes unpunished, I guess.
I've got nothing against SWS or folks who use it. For the way I work, I simply don't need the SWS extensions or even the majority of native features contained in a virgin install of REAPER for that matter.

I'm also kind of a minimalist which is probably why switching from Windows 7 to Linux was such an easy transition for me.
Glennbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2019, 12:42 PM   #42
Coachz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glennbo View Post
I've got nothing against SWS or folks who use it. For the way I work, I simply don't need the SWS extensions or even the majority of native features contained in a virgin install of REAPER for that matter.

I'm also kind of a minimalist which is probably why switching from Windows 7 to Linux was such an easy transition for me.
That's cool. Whatever works in Reaper !
Coachz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2019, 05:48 AM   #43
danbb

Quote:
Originally Posted by silksow View Post
Microsoft will take your money if you want security updates after this year, for up to 3 years at a higher fee for each consecutive year. After that, or without the extended support starting Jan 1st 2020, yes - the only way to be safe is to stay disconnected. So you'll never want another plugin? Don't cave. There was a time Reaper seemed complicated to you, I bet. Or routing sends or setting up your interface or using a compressor or playing an instrument.

The walled gardens of the corporate world are betting that you're too insecure or lazy or incompetent to declare your independence from them.
The threat of no updates is just scaremongering at this point; just propaganda to make people cave in to Windows 10. The security in Windows 7 has always been rubbish, so I will be exposed to the same risk as I have since I started using Win7 in 2010. Decent up-to-date anti-virus will catch the worst offenders. I've often turned off updates on Windows 7 for months at a time without suffering any major effects.

That said, I'm typing this from a fresh install of Linux Lite on my laptop to see if I can get used to it and get Reaper working on here. I think my main hurdle will be getting all my plugins to work. If all goes well on my laptop, I will bite the bullet and go for it on my main desktop.
danbb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2019, 06:17 AM   #44
danbb

Since watching this i don't feel so bad anymore.
Thanks for the replies guys.
danbb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2019, 10:16 AM   #45
Glennbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by danbb View Post
Since watching this i don't feel so bad anymore.
Thanks for the replies guys.
His 60 days to get used to Linux is about right. For me, most stuff worked right away. A few things took more tweaking, but now a little more than a year since setting up a dual boot Win7/Xubuntu DAW, with the default set to load Linux, when I boot Win7 it feels like the foreign OS to me.
Old 08-10-2019, 11:14 PM   #46
4duhwinnn

Quote:
Originally Posted by danbb View Post
What happens if I just keep using Windows 7? Will I be risking losing data or viruses etc.? I'd prefer not to have to learn a new OS if I can avoid it. If it's unavoidable though, what is the best linux distro for running Reaper and do they come with WINE and JACK etc. pre installed? I really hate Windows 10 and can't face the idea of caving into it, but linux seems complicated and I'm having trouble deciding what to do. I'm wondering if I should just disconnect my computers from the internet to reduce risk and just keep running Windows 7 indefinitely.
I'd check some long-running 3rd party security softwares,
like Spybot Search & Destroy, to see if they will maintain support.
Then get good at cloning your system, and hopefully you can use a software collection that is easy to reinstall if darkness should fall.
In the long run, having win 7 and a few different linux setups
will enable some experimentation, without fear of catastrophy.
Malware is not omnipresent, and for windows, a network cable
is easy to disconnect. and you can refuse visiting dodgy websites,
only going online to register a must-have product.

Windows ten is like a grenade with the pin pulled
being passed around at a holiday bonfire...
"Who is feeling lucky tonight?"
4duhwinnn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2019, 03:49 AM   #47
SmajjL

Is Linux immune to the CPU blabla doors and what have we? might as well pull the plug and turn off the phone, move to the forrest and if you go Linux today, is not your past whole life on big brothers/"WATSON's brain anyway already?
I think Linux for music is just waiting for more people to add to the stats so companies see the ohh-lalaah, or something.
Not as much meh's as it used to be, even SmajjL can manage with the wealth of helpfull Linus peoples.

SmajjL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2019, 06:30 AM   #48
Glennbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmajjL View Post
Is Linux immune to the CPU blabla doors and what have we? might as well pull the plug and turn off the phone, move to the forrest and if you go Linux today, is not your past whole life on big brothers/"WATSON's brain anyway already?
I think Linux for music is just waiting for more people to add to the stats so companies see the ohh-lalaah, or something.
Not as much meh's as it used to be, even SmajjL can manage with the wealth of helpfull Linus peoples.
One of the biggest reasons I switched to Linux was for the CPU microcode updates which patch for things like the Spectre and Meltdown chip level exploits. Windows 7 does NOT do any microcode updating where Windows 10 does, but I don't want to run Windows 10, so I jumped to Linux.

Microcode must be loaded BEFORE the OS even begins to boot and is not written permanently to your CPU, but is rather installed to your computer's RAM, then the CPU is pointed to look for it there, rather than the microcode that is static and on the CPU, so it must be loaded every time, just before the OS begins to boot.

In Linux, to see what vulnerabilities have or have not been mitigated, issue the following command in a terminal window.

grep . /sys/devices/system/cpu/vulnerabilities/*
Old 08-11-2019, 11:18 AM   #49
SmajjL

Thanks Glennbo! Time for a dualboot thingie again then, and hope Windows will turn out to be more a Gameing OS and my gameing activity will be all they get!
Although I hear some stuff has happened in that area also on Linux.
Not as hardcore bitter as some, but I actually love Linux enviroment and the community, why not? - so it shall be done!

Old 08-11-2019, 12:41 PM   #50
Glennbo

Quote:
Thanks Glennbo! Time for a dualboot thingie again then, and hope Windows will turn out to be more a Gameing OS and my gameing activity will be all they get!
Although I hear some stuff has happened in that area also on Linux.
Not as hardcore bitter as some, but I actually love Linux enviroment and the community, why not? - so it shall be done!
Funny you should say that. The ONLY thing I boot Windows 7 for at this point is a handful of EA racing games on Steam that my kid set me up with for father's day. They might work in Linux, but I haven't setup Steam in Xubuntu to try it yet. Not really a gamer.

I figure at some point I'll need some storage space and will end up nuking the whole 120 GB Win7 side, but for now I'm leaving it just for Steam. Everything involving REAPER I do in Linux.
Old 08-11-2019, 05:01 PM   #51
SmajjL

Hey Doppel

Ahh yeah, it was this I was thinking about guys, and rFactor2 is Gold? Alright-y-then, must try that also, just hope controllers work also.
https://www.protondb.com/
Must Youtube that, the support list has groooown! dauym

Got f12017 for ex just because they chose to support Linux with that one,
also raceing fan.

Old 08-12-2019, 11:15 AM   #52
SmajjL

I am afraid I am same as you and curious of exploration last time I went totally more nutt'ers than usual and distrohopped like a champ! (moron) totally flipped out heh
Thanks! Did not know about Lutris, what is going on? this is great news!

Old 08-13-2019, 06:32 PM   #53
SmajjL

Quote:
In Linux, to see what vulnerabilities have or have not been mitigated, issue the following command in a terminal window.

grep . /sys/devices/system/cpu/vulnerabilities/*

So, Linux Mint 19.2 Tina I get this.

/sys/devices/system/cpu/vulnerabilities/l1tf:Mitigation: PTE Inversion
/sys/devices/system/cpu/vulnerabilities/mds:Mitigation: Clear CPU buffers; SMT vulnerable
/sys/devices/system/cpu/vulnerabilities/meltdown:Mitigation: PTI
/sys/devices/system/cpu/vulnerabilities/spec_store_bypass:Mitigation: Speculative Store Bypass disabled via prctl and seccomp
/sys/devices/system/cpu/vulnerabilities/spectre_v1:Mitigation: usercopy/swapgs barriers and __user pointer sanitization
/sys/devices/system/cpu/vulnerabilities/spectre_v2:Mitigation: Full generic retpoline, IBPB: conditional, IBRS_FW, STIBP: conditional, RSB filling

Good enough or?

Old 08-13-2019, 08:31 PM   #54
Glennbo

Quote:
So, Linux Mint 19.2 Tina I get this.

/sys/devices/system/cpu/vulnerabilities/l1tf:Mitigation: PTE Inversion
/sys/devices/system/cpu/vulnerabilities/mds:Mitigation: Clear CPU buffers; SMT vulnerable
/sys/devices/system/cpu/vulnerabilities/meltdown:Mitigation: PTI
/sys/devices/system/cpu/vulnerabilities/spec_store_bypass:Mitigation: Speculative Store Bypass disabled via prctl and seccomp
/sys/devices/system/cpu/vulnerabilities/spectre_v1:Mitigation: usercopy/swapgs barriers and __user pointer sanitization
/sys/devices/system/cpu/vulnerabilities/spectre_v2:Mitigation: Full generic retpoline, IBPB: conditional, IBRS_FW, STIBP: conditional, RSB filling

Good enough or?
This one caught my eye:

According to this site it looks like you have a vulberability with SMT, but it also looks like Linux is clearing the CPU buffers as a backdoor fix for it.

https://www.kernel.org/doc/html/late...-vuln/mds.html

Edit: Also note that pretty much none of those mitigations would be happening with Windows 7.

Last edited by Glennbo; 08-13-2019 at 08:44 PM.
Old 08-13-2019, 10:41 PM   #55
SmajjL

Ok! thanks Glennbo.

I am on Windows 10 otherwise and Linux for music in my case is def possible pretty much, maby get an hardware EQ and a Push2 to replace the (dead brick Maschine Mikro mk2 on Linux) .. nice excuse though.

That proton-mode, experiencing input lag and not as snappy on QuakeLive for ex, but comments on QuakeLive for example suggest it should be OK, hmm, have to rea-search and try stuffs, rFactor2 installed and run ok in forced mode also, but this is bonus stuff, was going to focus on music and that-will-work since I am not to much locked-in with tons of kilograms (terrabytes) of VSTs for Windows either.

Last edited by SmajjL; 08-13-2019 at 10:44 PM. Reason: :)
Old 08-18-2019, 08:03 PM   #56
s wave

Quote:
Ok! thanks Glennbo.

I am on Windows 10 otherwise and Linux for music in my case is def possible pretty much, maby get an hardware EQ and a Push2 to replace the (dead brick Maschine Mikro mk2 on Linux) .. nice excuse though.

That proton-mode, experiencing input lag and not as snappy on QuakeLive for ex, but comments on QuakeLive for example suggest it should be OK, hmm, have to rea-search and try stuffs, rFactor2 installed and run ok in forced mode also, but this is bonus stuff, was going to focus on music and that-will-work since I am not to much locked-in with tons of kilograms (terrabytes) of VSTs for Windows either.
Linux DooM ya
s wave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2019, 12:58 AM   #57
SmajjL

All is good now when using a real-time kernel ya

Old 08-20-2019, 01:36 AM   #58
SmajjL

I am having luck with Manjaro and the 4.19.59_rt23-1 kernel.
I hope there is a tiny app switch for the:
echo performance | sudo tee /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu*/cpufreq/scaling_governor
On Nvidia X Server I turn off G-Sync and Sync to VBlank, and also if the flavour has any of that stuff in its own system settings/general/Compositor Options (Vsync Method), any usual suspects like those that can be interesting to try.
Ohh, and Nvidia X Server/Powermizer/Prefeer Maximum Performance sound good.

Funny, I am actually Googeling that up myself now, was curious
Ps, not tried your Evil game, but you can go to your game's preferences and add start commands in set launch options, if I could find the list of commands/tweaks would be great.. *doh*
All I got atm.

Last edited by SmajjL; 08-20-2019 at 01:46 AM.
Old 08-20-2019, 01:52 AM   #59
SmajjL

You are welcome!
Also, that is one more wow, Nvidia is actually pushing out drivers, thought they was Linux-alergic, much better today but yeah, AMD is AMD and something good is going on, so cool.
--
Also, if it is a brand new spanking game and if it is a dx12 game then try force it to dx11 or less if possible, not sure dx12 is on the menu with this stuff, correct me and spank me if wrong..
--
https://www.protondb.com/app/883710
Maby not the 2019 edition that one but check your other games there also see what status it has and peoples comments.

Last edited by SmajjL; 08-20-2019 at 05:20 AM.
Old 08-20-2019, 06:02 AM   #60
Jack Winter

For some games run through Proton, setting the environment variable "PROTON_NO_ESYNC=1" can help.
Reaper for Linux Documentation (WIP). Software: Archlinux/KDE, Fabfilter FX, Komplete 8, Nebula, Schwa/Stillwell, T-racks Max/Amplitube/SVX, etc. Gear: i7-2600k/4700HQ/16GB, RME Multiface/Babyface, Behringer X32, Genelec 8040, etc. :)
Jack Winter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2019, 01:50 AM   #61
SmajjL

Found a site that shows some how-to RT kernel, this one is for Mint.
https://gnipsel.com/linuxcnc/uspace/linuxmint19-rt.html

Old 08-23-2019, 08:53 AM   #62
Glennbo

The rule is to use what you like, and if that's Windows 10, then use that. I stopped liking Microsoft after their many aggressive and extremely invasive attempts to force me into Windows 10.

Microsoft would figure out that people were blocking their unauthorized installation of Windows 10 and then they would circumvent that method of blocking it. That was the case with them changing the Win10 install from a "Recommended Update" to an "Important Update" or if you had disabled GWX.exe from being installed via KB3035583, then they later include it anyway in another one. One of the final straws for me was when one of my machines got an unwanted Microsoft update containing the Win10 payload and the popup dialog box only offered an "Install this shit now" or "Install this shit later", but no option for "Don't install this shit".

The more ways that they tried to force Windows 10 on me, the more they pushed me into switching every computer in the house (seven currently) to Linux.

Edit: I had forgotten that clicking the "X" behavior was also changed.

"But here’s the icky part: The redesigned GWX pop-up now treats exiting the window as consent for the Windows 10 upgrade."

https://www.pcworld.com/article/3073...upgrading.html

Last edited by Glennbo; 08-23-2019 at 09:10 AM.
Old 08-23-2019, 09:21 AM   #63
SmajjL

Just thought, "you should talk to Glennbo"..

Back to Mint! thinking, must learn how to do schtuff myself, Manjaro is to easy..

Installing a low-latency kernel through Synaptic did not brake Nvidia this time.. hmm and, Xcfe has gotten my attention.

Everything i've got does work on Windows 10 yesterday, I give it that, Linux is improving though, nothing bad about that and Linux is fun to mess with (speaking for myself)

Comparing a native Linux vs Native Windows software sounds more fair though.

Old 08-23-2019, 09:58 AM   #64
Glennbo

I setup xfce on a clean install of Raspbian on my Pi, and it feels noticeably faster than the stock desktop to me. I'm staging the Pi with Kodi to replace a media center PC that's the last Win7 box in the house.
Old 08-23-2019, 10:16 AM   #65
SmajjL

Even on a power PC I was thinking , why not, feels more pedal to the metal and minimal waste of resources and, looks OK to me for beeing so lightweight.
Want to try the fastest Linux got, and that would be Xfce right?
Ps. with a user interface..

Old 08-23-2019, 11:25 AM   #66
JamesPeters

Quote:
"But here’s the icky part: The redesigned GWX pop-up now treats exiting the window as consent for the Windows 10 upgrade."
OMG lol. Yeah. As if I weren't already "done" with Windows, I needed to see that.

Quote:
Want to try the fastest Linux got, and that would be Xfce right?
I think it's about as fast/light a DE as you can use in Linux, from what I've noticed and what some of my friends have said in their comparisons. That's anecdotal of course.
JamesPeters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2019, 12:32 PM   #67
Glennbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesPeters View Post
OMG lol. Yeah. As if I weren't already "done" with Windows, I needed to see that.
Stuff like that made me totally distrust Microsoft. It's the exact same kind of stuff you would see happening with malware. After tiring of their constant contest with me over who owns the control of MY computer, I broke free of their BS and installed Linux.

Quote:
I think it's about as fast/light a DE as you can use in Linux, from what I've noticed and what some of my friends have said in their comparisons. That's anecdotal of course.
Initially I had installed Xubuntu with xfce on an older Core2 Duo because of the lightweight aspect of it, but when I switched my DAW to Linux I found I still preferred xfce, even though I could run a more demanding DE. It does what I need it to do and is really fast on a faster computer.
Old 08-26-2019, 06:42 AM   #68
SmajjL

About security, Linux does not seem to be immune, or any OS.. so does some choose Debian because of it may be sharp in that area? Downloading a pure Debian now, speaking of pure, saw even Plasma/KDE can have a hole to be fixed (it was fixed) what the heck is the world coming to...

Have had no luck with Debians, but sure it was all on me.. so, and, people are obviously using it..
And yeah, using older flavours that has been around for sssome time might be good idea?

Last edited by SmajjL; 08-26-2019 at 06:51 AM.
Old 08-26-2019, 07:02 AM   #69
Glennbo

Quote:
About security, Linux does not seem to be immune, or any OS.. so does some choose Debian because of it may be sharp in that area?
Part of what makes Linux more secure than say Windows, is that the bulk of what you install comes from the repository that goes with your distro, so it's more of a closed ecosystem. I refrain from adding other repositories unless I know a lot about them, like WineHQ for instance. I also run UFW so each machine has it's own firewall on top of the router's firewall.

As long as you aren't downloading and installing 3rd party stuff that you know little about, and are getting most everything from your distro's repository, you prolly aren't in much danger.

That said, if you've installed Flash in your web browser, and if you are not using any kind of protection against scripting, you could still get some malware running there. I use NoScript and have set Firefox to never accept cookies except for sites that I've specifically white listed, like forum.cockos.com.

Last edited by Glennbo; 08-26-2019 at 07:19 AM.
Old 08-26-2019, 07:21 AM   #70
SmajjL

So, know it's an online computer and a tad common sense combo and Linux should be OK
Stumbled on this out of date one, but cool if Ubuntu is doing OK because, I can handle Ubuntu pretty OK'ish now..
https://www.zdnet.com/article/uks-se...e-end-user-os/

That would include trusting ppa's if going there.. everything Ubuntu officially offers including flatpak is checked? so civilians can relax?

Old 08-26-2019, 08:07 AM   #71
Glennbo

Quote:
So, know it's an online computer and a tad common sense combo and Linux should be OK
Stumbled on this out of date one, but cool if Ubuntu is doing OK because, I can handle Ubuntu pretty OK'ish now..
https://www.zdnet.com/article/uks-se...e-end-user-os/

That would include trusting ppa's if going there.. everything Ubuntu officially offers including flatpak is checked? so civilians can relax?
Open source software in Canonical's repository would have way more eyes on it than say some random 3rd party utility someone suggests you download and install in Windows.

When I switched to Linux a year ago, it took me a minute to get used to finding almost everything I need in the repository, because in Windows I had become used to the idea of downloading and installing tons of little helper applications from 3rd parties.

With Xubuntu, all that stuff is usually found at Canonical's repository, even including video editing software, and the same planetarium software I used in Windows. About the only things I've installed via download and self install were things like REAPER plus both paid and free plugins to use with it.
Old 08-26-2019, 09:12 PM   #72
KingPancake

I'll be explaining some things about Linux as seemingly the guy asking the questions should have some clarifications about this naturally! I'll go one by one though:

Regarding DEs/WMs and their CPU/RAM usage: When you pick a Linux distribution, you expect it to have some sort of DE already installed by default or networking tools that let you download, configure and sometimes even compile the DE or WM of your own choosing. The reason why many people go and ask "When I tried xfce after GNOME3, it was a revelation!" can be due to a number of reasons.

If they feel is lighter, well, they are right. The difference between DEs comes down to the taste of one's person in particular, but the reason why some DEs feel "heavier" than others is due to the resources they need in order for them to function properly. In the case of Xfce, the reason why it feels lighter is because it does not needs GPU rendering, Hardware accelerated graphics or 3D rendering like GNOME does and so xfce can work completely fine even with software rendering alone. Among xfce in the DE crowd you get the even lighter LXDE and LXQt (the latter being actively developed and the former still having the occasional update) and the teensy-bit-heavier than xfce MATE DE.

However, all of those do not require hardware acceleration and can work with software rendering, which is why when someone uses them on say, older computers, they won't feel the weight of something like GNOME3 does due to those aforementioned causes. The distro implementation of a DE may help you in getting it running faster than ever if that distro aims for desktop usage (like say, Manjaro with its GNOME3 variant, or Solus) but they won't reduce the functionality or the weight the DE itself has, only give you a little helping boost here and there when needed (Which is usually not significant because again, it depends on how well the DE itself is handled by its upstream developers)

WMs are not DEs. When you use a DE like Xfce or Mate, you expect it to come with a File Manager, an audio player integrated, some other desktop tools integrated, etc. WMs do not come with any of those, they can focus or help you giving some graphical interfaces but at their core they are much simpler to maintain and develop than DEs because they do not rely on giving you the full kitchen sink. WMs are extremely customizable and you can "rice" them however you like because they are meant for those who like to tinker, read scripts or modify them to their core. Some WMs however (IceWM or Fluxbox) do help the end-user a little bit with their windows, effects and graphical management but overall won't hold your hand with additional tools or anything else, you still have to do your homework when maintaining those.

Regarding Security: Security is a process, the reason why many people feel Linux is secure is because indeed it is! however, the user must still be aware of how to operate their computers well and make the administrations tasks needed to perform them. Use root when doing tasks that a regular user can't do and then go back, however, I shall tell people not to be afraid of root, only that they should understand the consequences of what that much power entails.

Many Linux distributions also come with a package manager, repositories, options to add more repositories and if the user is willing they can also compile the source of a program into their machine in case the software they desire is not available in their repos. This greatly lessens the risk of any user who installs a Linux distribution, add to that: Linux kernel and updates rolling in for all distributions constantly + Patches for every imaginable kernel that it would be impossible to affect something + Monolithic design that allows the OS to be separated from its UI elements (unlike Windows) + Separation of the root and regular user clearly + Designed to handle multiuser setups from the get-go.

All of those above make it extremely unlikely to get infected on a Linux machine, you really need to go out of your way to be infected or have even one virus on Linux (Most of the viruses are written for the servers anyway, which is where Linux absolutely dominates, but desktop or embedded users need not to worry). In opposition to Windows which is...a joke regarding security to put it lightly.

Well, I hope I clarified something with this much info!
KingPancake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2019, 02:51 AM   #73
SmajjL

Hey! Thanks for explaining!

Linux (REAPER) & everything has in a relative short time gone to simply ALSA also, and KDE Plasma a year ago or so, along with Discovery was buggy, on Ubuntu at least, was not that familear with Manjaro then.
Gameing side along with Steam Play/Proton & Co is just so, fffffinally! still not over it that it works, on my stuff at least, not even tried the linVST stuff and all that yet if I need that

Beeing a Windows user 100% until now and just-like-that, *BAM! - going Linux (not only trying/testing/curious) actually decided! as we speak, my main SSD is now cleared formated (celebration is in order!) and Linux is going to live there now and Manjaro KDE will be The One since it works on everything I need, today.. and KDE is atm at 0.78 GiB of mem... and KDE's ways & looks modern, tweakable anyway and KDE's options is great enough for me and personal taste thing along with that I like the KDE widgets and found one I was missing and, I am on a power PC that is used to Windows..

I have now distrohopped like a crazy Tarzan and tried stuff enough so I know what I would miss if I choose this or that and all that, just that the Linux scene is a taaaad different and I need to ask stuff or Google, i'm ready now! let's do this! *clap!*

Thanks again! there are surely more people like me out there that is reading also but maby shy or summit.. I don't have that issue, I ask.
And also thanks for the help Glennbo!

--
Now listen here Firefox.. don't make me about:config your ass and go layout.css.devPixelsPerPx 1.5 on you... ok, fine! *slap!*

Old 08-27-2019, 05:57 AM   #74
Glennbo

Quote:
And also thanks for the help Glennbo!
You're quite welcome!

Quote:
Now listen here Firefox.. don't make me about:config your ass and go layout.css.devPixelsPerPx 1.5 on you... ok, fine! *slap!*
HA! That's one of the first things I do on every machine I setup.
Old 08-27-2019, 08:50 AM   #75
s wave

Like SmajjL said - YOOO HOOO its nice when you finally come to land on your 'flavor' I saw the future of art and Linux back in the early Mint days of CLems vision. That's when I knew overbloated OSs with the hood welded shut and booby trapped anti-troubleshooting conundrums were not for me. AND I could see and KNEW there was a path via linux (for waht I wanted to do) - I boarded the happy train... and never regretted it. BUT it does take that finding of kernel-DE-repository etc. to actually embody this wonderment. I hope you keep looking and poking and saying 'what if' - people here will help you find it... gl
s wave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2019, 12:25 PM   #76
mike@overtonedsp

Quote:
BUT it does take that finding of kernel-DE-repository etc. to actually embody this wonderment
No it absolutely doesn't - a recent Ubuntu LTS distro will be fine. If you *want* to spend time customising and tweaking (rather than making music...) then that's fine - you have the option - and you can probably convince yourself its better as a result - but please, we need to get away from repeating the idea that you *have* to do this in order to use Linux (for audio). A lot of potential converts from other OS are dissuaded from even trying, because of this misconception...
mike@overtonedsp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2019, 06:05 AM   #77
SmajjL

Found a Glennbo-compatible civilian.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JE4SwkJ0Fys
And Fedora now belongs to IBM or what?

Old 09-09-2019, 05:51 AM   #78
SmajjL

Eum, LöL..

https://conf.qtcon.org/system/attach...f%3F1473018986

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cinnam...op_environment)

Old 09-09-2019, 06:35 AM   #79
Glennbo

With any OS, be it Windows, Linux, or whatever.

Don't install a bunch of stuff you know nothing about like little 3rd party *helper* tools that someone in a forum might suggest, and you prolly won't pick up any undesirable modules that are hiding in the background.

I run Firefox with NoScript, with strict blocking, use the hosts file from, http://winhelp2002.mvps.org/hosts.htm have cookies disabled except for sites like this one that I trust, and have it throw everything away every time it closes. I also run UFW on every machine in the house, and have zero shares.

Yeah, web pages look pretty funky and are missing lots of things that come from other places, but javascript and a rogue ad square is all it takes to acquire stuff like keyloggers and bitcoin mining from your browser.

I never install 3rd party stuff unless it comes from a company or person that I know and trust, or if it is in the distro's repository. If it is packaged up in an installer and comes from someone I know nothing about, I'll simply skip it and never have to wonder what all was installed all over my drive.
Old 09-09-2019, 07:21 AM   #80
SmajjL

Why why-why am I so drawn to Linux.. dammit..

Last edited by SmajjL; 09-22-2019 at 02:59 PM.