Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER for Linux

Old 11-09-2019, 12:11 PM   #81
Freeman
Human being with feelings

Default Win 7 to Linux

I just want to point out that trying Linux gets easier all the time. Just make sure you are using up to date info about what ever distro you use. I went with Pop OS because they are friendly to new hardware and I have a new computer. I also liked the fact that they had a separate ISO for Nvidia drivers so I was all set. I have a Behringer umc 204 hd interface and it was immediately recognized.I did not have to fight and disable other choices. Also, I liked the fact that for the install, there was no need to change bios settings. The only requirement was to disable fast start. Not to be confused with fast boot, fast start is changed inside of windows. The other thing I like is the dual boot method.There is no grub boot loader. I just use the bios boot select. I am not so thrilled with their support options,but that's just my issue. For someone running older hardware, I would probably look elsewhere. This distro is Ubuntu based some negatives or positives of Ubuntu would apply.
Freeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2019, 05:54 AM   #82
Celphor

Tried to update from Win7 to Win10. Not because I like it, at first I saw no easy alternative. Three times in a row I got "Setup failed".
I quickly remembered why I hate Windows since ever ;-)

So I trashed Windows (without a cry) and converted my DAW PC into a Hackintosh. Works like a charm. But its not totally legal and OSX is also not my favorite. Far better than Windoze, but not really my world.

Since I'm an old Linux guy I started to try Reaper on Linux a few days ago. I wonder how well it works. Of course there are some obstacles, but I'm sure we will get over it soon. This would really be my dream. Several Linux boxes with Reamote :-)
Celphor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2019, 12:07 PM   #83
s wave

anything up to windows 8.0 is almost a no fly zone to update to win 10. The easiest route is to save the files - then bootable win 10 (from rufus) on a NON WINDOWS PC to get the legit ISO from win 10 site....

Welcome (back) to Linux this is not your fathers linux anymore... browse the OS flavors... if you are doing real time tracking recording - research that FIRST. For the low latency realtime kernel and ALSO. This forum should get you to where you want to go. I do not do much real time tacking - so my main driver pc is Linux Mint Cinnamon. tc
s wave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2019, 05:32 AM   #84
bulevardi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coachz View Post
I just upgraded my windows 7 to windows 10 for free. It ran the upgrade for an hour and was done. It works great.
[/url]
I did that couple of years ago, but it did NOT work at all, blocked my whole system, and the original windows recovery dvd's didn't work at all...

So I had to change to Linux..; and no regrets yet!! It all gets better