Old 03-31-2007, 01:13 AM   #1
Traveler
Human being with feelings

Default Snap toggle

I have found a thing odd about the snap toggle within the piano roll, toggling snap with a note already held with the left mouse button, (ready to move) removes the mouses hold on the note, and requires you to release and re select the note to move it. I prefer toggling snap on and off while moving the note, allows for quick movements and detail work without having to reselect the note two or three times.

Is this related to the fact that the snap toggle short cut uses the left mouse button as well? and is there any reason in particular it cant just be toggled with S alone?

Regards,
Ryan.

(loving the single click note insert)
Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2007, 08:40 AM   #2
drew
Mobile

Snap in MIDI window is alt-S, right?

It would be good if this could be changed while dragging - I'd like it to be the case that the same snap/grid shortcuts could be used in both main & MIDI windows and just apply to the one that you are currently using.
drew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2007, 10:43 AM   #3
Ben Zero

Big agreement from me - I've also been frustrated by this, but in the timeline window when dragging an item, and not being able to toggle snap when doing so. I'd love to see this changed.

Related to this, a big beef with me that I've not yet got around to posting about, you also can't use SPACE to play whilst doing, well, anything! For example, moving an item, adjusting automation points, adjusting a fader... etc, etc. When doing those things, hitting SPACE does nothing. I'm aware that CTRL+SPACE does work, but it seems a bit silly that this is necessary.

Perhaps this a restriction then which prevents you from hitting any key whilst the left mouse button is held down? If so, I'd really like to see this changed.

Ben
Ben Zero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2007, 11:44 AM   #4
Dstruct

what's the problem? just press SHIFT while dragging notes/items to bypass the activated snap ...
Dstruct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2007, 03:09 PM   #5
Traveler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dandruff View Post
what's the problem? just press SHIFT while dragging notes/items to bypass the activated snap ...
That makes this thread mighty pointless doesn't it?

Thanks mate.
Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2007, 06:09 PM   #6
Ben Zero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traveler View Post
That makes this thread mighty pointless doesn't it?

Thanks mate.
Shift definitely helps, but doesn't quite do it

I've always known about the shift modifier but it doesn't take away from the fact that when you've begun to drag an item, and decide you want snap on, you can't do this until you release the left mouse button. Shift only bypasses snap rather than also enabling it when snap is off. Basically, you should be free to turn snap (and other stuff) on and off while holding down the left mouse button.

Plus, this doesn't of course help with the SPACE problem I mentioned, which is about the same issue. Essentially, currently is seems you can't operate keyboard shortcuts whilst holding down the left mouse button.

Ben
Ben Zero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2007, 01:52 AM   #7
Tallisman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dandruff View Post
the problem is: In reaper it is easy to be confused by these simple tasks, as there is inconsistency in their implementation: ie SNAP and temporary disabling snapping:

Item Movement Modifiers:
--Shift Disables snapping

Item Edge Modifiers:
--Shift Disables snapping

Loop Selection Modifiers:
--Ctrl Disables snapping

uniformity across the board would be better.

t.

http://tallisman.bandcamp.com <--Me.

"Excuse me. Could you please point me in the direction of the self-help section?"
Tallisman is offline   Reply With Quote