Old 02-24-2017, 07:28 PM   #1
AriSongBird
Human being with feelings

Default Was the update a bad idea?

I am new to Reaper. I'm currently using an evaluation download of Reaper 5 and have been "evaluating" for about 30 days of the 60. Everything seems to be going great, including plowing through the learning curve and making all kinds if new discoveries. However, today I downloaded an updated version (Reaper 5.3something) and now my inputs are no longer connected, it seems. I'm using a Yamaha Audiogram 6 as an interface with my Korg Triton ProX for the sounds and keyboard functions (using it as an audio input, and not midi--yet). Anyway, do I uninstall the update (after saving my work on an external drive) and re-install Reaper 5? Or is there something about 5.3something of which I am totally unaware?
Thx, Ari
AriSongBird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2017, 07:36 PM   #2
Lokasenna

Does it say something like "device closed" at the top-right corner of the window? (Closer to the middle on Mac, I think)

If it does, you should just have to click on that and find your interface again. In theory all the settings should be as you left them.
Old 02-24-2017, 08:45 PM   #3
AriSongBird

I didn't see a "device closed" notice, but I will go back and check more carefully. Thx. -
Old 02-24-2017, 09:51 PM   #4
vdubreeze

You don't need to do anything when updating beyond replacing the old version with the new. It doesn't change the projects or audio, so no need to back up beyond the normal good practice of having backups when updating.

Reaper remembers interfaces and settings as far as I recall. But if you opened a project without it connected (or before it was turned on) it will revert to the system default hardware in and out, at least on OS X it does, and it remembers that next time. Maybe that's what happened, and it's easily enough remedied by going to Preference/Audio/Device and the Yamaha should be able to be selected.pdating

Reaper's updating is just about the least invasive and most trouble free I've ever encountered.
Old 03-02-2017, 05:01 PM   #5
AriSongBird

Default Almost ready to give up...

Okay...I have read the responses to my posts and they have been helpful, BUT, I am still deep in the weeds. (and I don't mean weed, I mean weeds--like bull rushes, ya know)... anyway, ever since I got the update (I just got another one, too--535) the sound no longer works. I am attempting to record audio, which, up until this point, has been working great. Something is wrong and I can't find the answer. I have been reading and watching tutorials and still, nothing. I am on the edge of purchasing my copy to make it legit. (I've had an evaluation copy now for 37 days.) But, I gotta tell ya, I'm not feeling real warm and fuzzy about all this. That said, as a whole, I think REAPER is an outstanding program. I really want to make this work! Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Ari
Old 03-02-2017, 05:35 PM   #6
Lokasenna

What *does* it say at the top-right? If you click on the text up there, it will open Reaper's audio device settings - are you able to post a screenshot of that?