Old 03-19-2018, 06:46 AM   #1
hjon
Human being with feelings

Default Reaper midi clock with Mother 32

Hello,

I apologize if this is a trivial question but I've tried quite hard to figure it out and to find the answer in the manual and forums.

I have a Moog Mother 32 hooked up to one of my MIDI interfaces (I'm using an RME UCX if that is relevant), and whenever I start/stop playback in Reaper, it starts/stops the Mother's internal sequencer. I realize this is desirable to a lot of people, but I mostly use Reaper to sequence so I want to send clock and midi notes but keep the sequencer from starting and stopping. A typical usage case would be that I have a track with recorded MIDI on it, in the routing settings I select the relevant MIDI Hardware output, and on another track I record the synth audio output. This works for fine for my other synthesizers, but they don't have sequencers.

My best guess so far is to enable clock and disable SPP in Reaper's MIDI settings. However, the SPP setting doesn't seem to have any effect. Disabling MIDI clock solves the problem with the sequencer, but I want the midi clock output so it's not a good solution.

Another suggestion I've seen for similar issues is to use some form of additional software to filter out specific unwanted MIDI messages (start/stop in my case) before they get sent. I haven't looked into it further since I'm hoping there's a cleaner solution within Reaper itself.

Am I missing something? Is this expected behaviour with any hardware sequencer or is it specific to the Mother 32?

Thank you in advance for any help
hjon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2018, 06:38 AM   #2
Doc Brown

Hi hjon

I ran into a similar problem with my arturia keystep triggering its internal sequencer and my Roland synth whenever I hit the start button to use the arpeggiator. I didn't want its internal sequencer to start when its set to arp mode because it would play both which is not what I wanted.

My solution was to clear out the first default sequencer pattern in the keystep so after a start command it wouldn't play anything except the synth I was sequencing. In your case you could clear out the first sequencer pattern (default) on the mother 32 so when it receives a start command from Reaper it plays an empty slot. It's not ideal but it works.
Doc Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2018, 02:55 AM   #3
hjon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Brown View Post
Hi hjon

I ran into a similar problem with my arturia keystep triggering its internal sequencer and my Roland synth whenever I hit the start button to use the arpeggiator. I didn't want its internal sequencer to start when its set to arp mode because it would play both which is not what I wanted.

My solution was to clear out the first default sequencer pattern in the keystep so after a start command it wouldn't play anything except the synth I was sequencing. In your case you could clear out the first sequencer pattern (default) on the mother 32 so when it receives a start command from Reaper it plays an empty slot. It's not ideal but it works.
Hi Doc,

Thank you for the tip. I seem to remember that the mother doesn't play midi notes while the sequencer is running. At least input from the keyboard just transposes the sequence. I'll give it a try at least, just to be sure. Thanks again
hjon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2018, 05:53 AM   #4
Doc Brown

You also might look into overriding the internal sequencer if it has that functionality.

Try looking over this thread at Moog. Hope this helps.

https://forum.moogmusic.com/viewtopi...24452&start=15
Doc Brown is offline   Reply With Quote