Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Bug Reports

Old 03-21-2018, 07:25 PM   #1
Acid
Human being with feelings

Default "Scanning DirectX FX" - Reaper suddenly refuses to open - at all. At all. (SOLVED)

Having been away from music making for a while, l made a foray into Reaper again to check out my ReWire setup with some other DAWs.

I believe l updated Windows 7 Pro too.

I did not update Reaper.

I didn't really understand my setup very well, l'd been away too long. I have lots of MIDI controllers, and 2 soundcards, all in the setup.

Anyway, l got tired, ran out of time, shut down. A few days later, l returned, and then it struck.

Open Reaper --> message window "Can't open ReaMote UDP"

click OK

then second message window opens (or as l recall, it opens after a while anyway, even if you do nothing) "Scanning DirectX FX".

And that window never shuts down, even though the ReaMote UDP message window can be shut down.

I can shut both message windows down via Task Manager, but the reaper.exe process remains in Task Manager, it never closes.

I have searched Google and others have had similar problems, which were resolved by:

- Re-starting
- Re-re-re(a)starting until Reaper has magically blocked out all problem FX plugins and it suddenly starts normally again
- Upgrade to new Reaper, having completely uninstalled the old version, including deleting the FX plugins folder

These solutions worked for other people but for me, nada. I literally cannot enter Reaper, at all. At all.

I am thus overjoyed, and am thankful, and humbled ... that l wasn't doing a fucking live set in front of an audience (that l only have a lower tier license doesn't matter really), although l could have just gone accoustic and chatted to them about how l got where l am today?

Solutions welcome.

Anticipating comments that may well appear further down the line in this thread:
- I am being polite to you, don't take it personally, l'm talking tech
- I know you are one of the Old Ones, the Regulars, and you are trying to help me but mixing help with ascerbic putdowns is wankery by any other name (check my message history to see the kind of crap that pops up in every forum from regulars that need to help others n hurt em at the same time, cus they earned the right, right?)
- I'm on Windows 7 Pro 64-bit, self build PC, core i7 something k Haswell CPU, X99 mobo from about 2014-2015 (like the CPU), 16GB RAM.
- I have tried to upload a screenshot of the problem but my pic dimensions were not allowed, so l rescaled, and the dimensions were still not allowed because they were within the limits, but the wrong way round (limit for x axis was limit for y axis, and vice versa), so l rescaled again, and my image was rejected again, because it was woah 240.5kb, which would mean nobody can phone your landline for 30 mins while you download it.

Last edited by Acid; 03-24-2018 at 11:21 AM.
Acid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2018, 04:50 PM   #2
Acid

Default SOLVED IT!!!!

As per the thread here: https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?p=1970320

I went into the .ini file and deleted the entries pertaining to which tabs to open automatically upon starting Reaper.

This data doesn't remove from the system when Reaper is uninstalled, so an uninstall, reinstall, upgrade, stood no chance.
Old 03-24-2018, 05:27 AM   #3
vitalker

So rename the thread by adding "(SOLVED)"
vitalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2018, 11:06 AM   #4
Acid

Quote:
Originally Posted by vitalker View Post
So rename the thread by adding "(SOLVED)"
edit: totally misunderstood what you were saying

Last edited by Acid; 03-24-2018 at 11:27 AM.
Old 03-24-2018, 11:09 AM   #5
vitalker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acid View Post
You're a stereotype.
Sorry, I don't get your message at all. In that thread Justin (the developer) wrote you how to act in this situation. Did it help?
Old 03-24-2018, 11:16 AM   #6
Acid

Quote:
Originally Posted by vitalker View Post
Sorry, I don't get your message at all. In that thread Justin (the developer) wrote you how to act in this situation. Did it help?
Edit: apologies i misunderstood, l thought the quote in your sig was part of your response to me - because l actually did make a thread about "f@@k you reaper i quit" hahaha - and that actually did - finally - get my problem solved!

Yes l shall now rename the thread "Solved", thanks for the heads up

Last edited by Acid; 03-24-2018 at 11:24 AM.
Old 03-24-2018, 11:57 AM   #7
vitalker

@Acid, ok, I am glad you've solved it.