Old 10-20-2006, 05:19 PM   #1
SRR
Human being with feelings

Default Glitchs during play back

I don't know what is causing it, but it happens sometimes at splits in the vocal take but its not just the vocals that glitch its everything. Also sometimes happens at volume automation points. I have never had this problem before. And of course it never does it twice in a row at the same points, and a few times it played back just fine. Prior UAD-1 problems with glitching was never or almost never at splits or other defined points, now its doing it at very defined points.

AMD 1.4Ghz, 512 megs ram, 80GB 7200 RPM hard drive, UAD-1, SIS735 motherboard chipset.

Reaper 1.32
SRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2006, 01:31 PM   #2
SRR

Anyone else getting these glitchs? UAD-1 users???
Old 10-21-2006, 04:14 PM   #3
malcolmj

Quote:
Originally Posted by SRR
Anyone else getting these glitchs? UAD-1 users???
I am getting glitches during recording and playback using 1.32 that I've never experienced before, but each time I go back to check the section where the glitch occurs the playback is fine - even if the glitch occured during recording - so I haven't been able to pin down a cause yet.

I don't have a UAD-1.

Cheers,

Malcolm.
malcolmj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2006, 04:42 PM   #4
Art Evans
Mortal

Is that with automation read on, by any chance, Malcolm?
Art Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2006, 04:49 PM   #5
malcolmj

Quote:
Originally Posted by Art Evans
Is that with automation read on, by any chance, Malcolm?
No Art, no automation.

Cheers,

Malcolm.
Old 10-21-2006, 04:52 PM   #6
SRR

Not sure where that is, but I just use envelopes, so I hit the envelope button make sure volume has a check mark, visible has a check mark, and arm has a check mark.
Old 10-22-2006, 01:36 AM   #7
malcolmj

Meh. There is a memory leak somewhere in the Project I'm working on.

I've been working on the same Project all day and the playback glitches were getting worse towards the end of the day, so I opened Task Manager to see if something was chewing up my RAM. It turned out reaper.exe was using over a GIG of RAM at the time, so I closed REAPER down to clear the memory.

When I re-opened the Project I noticed that the memory useage kept creeping up about every 6 to 8 bars. At the start of playback reaper.exe was using 154,996KB, but by the end of the song (3'30") it was using 155,180KB. Repeated playback just made the memory useage increase.

Ghosts in the machine.
Old 10-22-2006, 05:27 AM   #8
Art Evans
Mortal

I've seen Audition do the same thing, and I've been told it's normal behaviour. But I'm not saying that's true!
Art Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2006, 04:16 PM   #9
SRR

I have used reaper a lot the past 3 days, and all the glitchs are gone for now...but I haven't been using a lot of UAD-1 plugs...shurgs...
Old 10-25-2006, 10:38 AM   #10
SRR

Ok I lied, I had some glitchs last night.
Old 10-25-2006, 10:52 AM   #11
kLyon

I'm not getting any action on my thread, so I thought I'd switch horses. Even though I don't have a UAD, these similiar (?) maddeningly random little glitches are driving me crazy. They seem to be largely folder-use-related, but can happen anytime.
To lower possible variables (for instance, I'm using XP 64) I rebuilt an offending project entirely in Acid 6 -- same tracks, same plugins, same everything. The result: no glitches, ever.
The ghost, whatever it is, is Reaper specific, at least on my machine.
kLyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2006, 12:37 PM   #12
malcolmj

Hi Kylon,

I'm using x64 too. I haven't had time to track down the glitches I'm experiencing to find out whether they're Folder-Track related or just REAPER related, but they've definitely only started showing up since v1.32. As I mentioned earlier, they're annoying, but don't seem to be affecting the recorded audio.

Are you using any FX on the folder Track?

If you can post an example Project file (just the Folder Tracks) I'll test it on my machine.

Cheers,

Malcolm.
Old 10-25-2006, 12:51 PM   #13
kLyon

Malcom,

I've been experiencing the problem for a while now; it isn't simply 1.32 related. At first I thought I had solved the problem by removing plug-ins from the folder. In fact, I emailed Aleksey at Voxengo to ask if he thought the glitches could have been caused by Voxformer or another of his plugs. Then they would still show up occasionally with no plugs on the folder track.
Most times getting rid of the folder track will stop them; but yet some occasionally show up regardless. And, as you said, they aren't in the same place ever, don't turn up in recorded tracks, and don't evidence themselves in renders at all.
I'll try to find a manageably sized project that demonstrates this to send you. Unfortunately, the random nature of the problem makes it difficult to localize.
My Acid experiment points the finger at Reaper, and I still believe it is somehow folder related. (I haven't been empirical enough about it to know for sure, but if I have time I'll try to get a bit more scientific. Usually it's like, "Oh oh. Glitches. Back to Vegas.")

Many thanks,

kL
Old 10-25-2006, 04:02 PM   #14
malcolmj

Quote:
Originally Posted by kLyon
I've been experiencing the problem for a while now; it isn't simply 1.32 related.
You could be right. To be honest I've only really started to push the boundaries of REAPER since v1.32. For the past couple of months I've been swamped with non-REAPER related work, and prior to that I was too busy working on the Manual to really push REAPER, so it's quite possible that I've overlooked a lot of possible problems as I've been too busy to test them further.

I'm really happy that you're using REAPER on x64. Justin doesn't have a copy so there's never been anyone else (to the best of my knowledge) who could verify the issues I encountered that might be x64 specific. As an example, there's a lot of Jesusonic FX that I can't use on my machine as they create all sorts of glitches, but as there haven't been any similar reports I've been assuming that they're x64 specific.

When you get a chance, could you download the "MalcolmJacobson-4x4" zip file from this page http://www.reaper.fm/samples.php and load up the 4x4_remix.RPP? It's a very simple demo I put together on a standard XP machine in the early days of REAPER. When I open the file on my x64 machine the "Bass Loop" Track is completely out of sync. I'd love to have independent confirmation that it's not a bug that's limited to my machine.

Quote:
My Acid experiment points the finger at Reaper, and I still believe it is somehow folder related. (I haven't been empirical enough about it to know for sure, but if I have time I'll try to get a bit more scientific. Usually it's like, "Oh oh. Glitches. Back to Vegas.")
Yes, the fact that they're random makes them very frustrating. I will try to replicate the current Project I'm working on in Samplitude and see if I get the same sorts of glitches.

Cheers,

Malcolm.

P.S.: Sorry to SRR for hi-jacking your thread
Old 10-25-2006, 05:03 PM   #15
kLyon

Malcom,

I downloaded the project and it plays fine, no sync problems. Sounds great. The plot thickens.

kL
Old 10-25-2006, 05:52 PM   #16
malcolmj

Quote:
I downloaded the project and it plays fine, no sync problems.
Bummer!
Old 10-25-2006, 11:39 PM   #17
SRR

Quote:
Originally Posted by malcolmj

P.S.: Sorry to SRR for hi-jacking your thread
No problem the more info about these glitchs the more justin and crew will have to go on when he comes back.

I think mine are UAD-1 related, but I could be way off, as it seems I either have no glitchs or atleast fewer glitchs when I use less or no UAD-1 plugs, BUT I could be imagining that.....

Like you guys no problems during renders just playback, during a mix session. I haven't had them when recording so I am good there. I did vocal recording for a song over the weekend lead and harmony, not one glitch during the recording session, not one during playback for my wife (the singer I was recording) during the record session so she could hear what we just recorded during that last take or what have you.

So I guess what I am saying is I get random glitchs at defined points (splits, volume enevelope points, etc.), when I start using plugins, maybe more so when I start using UAD-1 plugs. I hope justin comes back safe........

......and soon .
Old 10-28-2006, 04:29 AM   #18
malcolmj

Quote:
Most times getting rid of the folder track will stop them; but yet some occasionally show up regardless. And, as you said, they aren't in the same place ever, don't turn up in recorded tracks, and don't evidence themselves in renders at all.
I've managed to develop a repro for these glitches on my machine using v1.33.

I noticed that I seemed to be getting a glitch at roughly the same spot in playback the first time I played through the Project after I started a REAPER session. After some experimentation I managed to find that I can repro the glitch at the same spot by making sure that REAPER is closed first. If start REAPER, then load the Project and play, I get a glitch in playback at exactly 54 seconds into playback.

This is only repeatable for the first playback after launching REAPER. After the first playback the glitches start appearing at random intervals.

Since I'd found a way to repro the glitch I then tested shutting off FX, Folder Tracks, etc., trying to locate a possible cause in the Project for the bug. Unfortunately I've found that I can have everything in the Project muted, and the playback readout still freezes for a second (which is the same thing it does when the audio glitches occur) at 54 seconds into playback.

Are any of the glitches you are experiencing repeatable using this method?

Cheers,

Malcolm.

P.S.: Note that I didn't remove the Folder Tracks, just muted them.
Old 10-28-2006, 11:03 AM   #19
kLyon

Malcom,

I probably won't get a chance to test until tomorrow (show tonight) but I'll let you know as soon as I can. I was testing yesterday on something that exhibited the classic result: a folder track with plugins = glitches. Take the contained tracks out of the folder (turning the folder off) = glitches gone, even with the plugins subsequently duplicated on each of the tracks formerly contained in the former folder.
Old 11-04-2006, 06:17 PM   #20
kLyon

Malcom, another experiment that might point to xp 64 having a unique, subtle problem with reaper: I copied an offending file to my xp machine (not as fast, audio hardware not Lynx, other deficiencies) and though it didn't behave as well generally, it didn't exhibit the folder-related and other random little glitches that are driving me crazy on my main music machine.
I wouldn't be using xp 64 in the first place, but I got a slamming deal on a board, processor, and windows 64 from AMD and couldn't resist. But then it works fine with everything else... maybe Justin could get an xp 64 machine and have a look at it. After all, it is, I believe the path of the future. (Right?)

kL
Old 11-04-2006, 06:45 PM   #21
malcolmj

Quote:
But then it works fine with everything else... maybe Justin could get an xp 64 machine and have a look at it. After all, it is, I believe the path of the future. (Right?)
Heh One would think so

x64 will actually be superseded by Vista, but I'll be resisting "upgrading" to that resource hog for as long as possible.

Once I rebuild the missing file from my Project I'm going to try transferring it to Samplitude to see if I get similar problems. Will probably be a few weeks before I get around to it though.

Cheers,

Malcolm.
Old 11-06-2006, 01:38 PM   #22
kLyon

Frustrated, I took the next logical step: I installed an XP partition on my XP 64 machine. The result: no glitches. Now I have 30 days for either Justin to take pity and fix the problems with XP 64 or talk Microsoft into activating it. (Or, I suppose, buying another license... but since I'm already one person with two machines and two licenses that doesn't seem to make sense...)
Old 11-06-2006, 03:59 PM   #23
psingman

I've seen Audition do the same thing, and I've been told it's normal behaviour. But I'm not saying that's true!

Yes, both Reaper and Audition are doing the same thing on my computer. The CPU usage goes from like 2%, when not running, to like 90% when recording or playing back and actually seems to rise after a few minutes. WOW, I thought Reaper used hardly any resources, so I was going to change over. I do know though that some computers just don't like certain programs. I think it might be the asio thingie, they say it is supposed to be better for latency, well, it might be, but I think it pertains to really fast powerful machines, which, alas, I don't have. Keep up the possible solutions, thanks, psingman
psingman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2006, 12:34 AM   #24
kLyon

Okay, I take it back. I had a chance to check some more files, and there are still some of the annoying little "micro-glitches" using 32bit windows, in a project with Reason rewired but not a crazy cpu hit. Oh well.
Old 11-07-2006, 08:52 AM   #25
RedStone

http://www.cockos.com/forum/showthread.php?t=3487

I'm also getting glitches ... to the point of projects being unplayable

though it's not UAD-1 related
mine is a problem with SIR reverb, and JS amp modeller spiking CPU to 160%!
Old 11-11-2006, 01:39 AM   #26
malcolmj

Quote:
Originally Posted by malcolmj View Post
If start REAPER, then load the Project and play, I get a glitch in playback at exactly 54 seconds into playback.
I finally got around to rebuilding my Project that lost MIDI data, and the 54 second glitch still occurs. The only difference now is that I can repro it just by loading the Project - I don't need to close and re-open REAPER. Glitches at 54 seconds on first play through after loading the Project.

Now to try rebuilding it in Samplitude ...