Old 08-30-2017, 02:13 PM   #1
Gypsysinger
Human being with feelings

Default Would love some constructive feedback!!

Hey everyone,
I realize I'm a little late to the party but I decided to give mixing Doppler Shifts - Atrophy a shot.

I didn't use any samples but I did use whatever plugins I felt worked best. My only objective was just to mix something I enjoyed listening to.

This is the first time I've ever mixed anything so I'd love it if people could give it a listen and give me some constructive feedback.

https://soundcloud.com/ward-arnold/sets/mixes/s-p9VQ6

Cheers!
Old 08-30-2017, 07:22 PM   #2
buzzardwhiskey

Wow. Forget about the mix. You're amazingly talented!

If there is a place that could use a tiny bit of attention it might be the vocals. They seem slightly flat in terms of space.
buzzardwhiskey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2017, 09:35 PM   #3
Gypsysinger

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzardwhiskey View Post
Wow. Forget about the mix. You're amazingly talented!

If there is a place that could use a tiny bit of attention it might be the vocals. They seem slightly flat in terms of space.
I'm guessing you listened to some of my own live recordings? If so, thanks for the compliment, it's much appreciated.

Just so we're clear, this isn't me or my group, I just took a shot a mixing them.
The tracks are from the Reaper mix contest.

Do you have any tips on how to increase the space of the vocal? I decided to sit it dead center for the verses and eq'd it to sit back a bit since the aim was for them to pop forward and sound more urgent in the chorus.

Thoughts?.... suggestions?

Last edited by Gypsysinger; 08-31-2017 at 05:36 AM.
Gypsysinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2017, 05:57 AM   #4
buzzardwhiskey

Oh, wow! I had no idea. I haven't followed the group long enough to know about a mix contest of "standardized" material. Cool!

I listened once again and I now see what you've done. Honestly, it doesn't need much of anything and I'd be proud of it as is. You might try a bit or reverb. Or you might try a plugin called bx steromaker by Plugin Alliance https://www.plugin-alliance.com/en/p...ereomaker.html
buzzardwhiskey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2017, 03:17 AM   #5
DaveKeehl

hi Gipsysinger I heard your mix! It's good man I think you nailed the ambient parts. Maybe the rhythm guitars could be a bit more upfront and the vocals are just a tiny bit too airy. Then maybe just a touch of automation and it would have been perfect!

You're welcome to join the competition this month

Dave
Old 09-05-2017, 03:47 AM   #6
Judders

It sounds very heavily stomped on by compression to me.
Judders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2017, 12:44 PM   #7
Gypsysinger

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveKeehl View Post
hi Gipsysinger I heard your mix! It's good man I think you nailed the ambient parts. Maybe the rhythm guitars could be a bit more upfront and the vocals are just a tiny bit too airy. Then maybe just a touch of automation and it would have been perfect!

You're welcome to join the competition this month

Dave
Hey Dave,
Thanks for the constructive feed back. It's been a crazy month so far but if I can, I'll enter. Any chance you could tell me where in the mix the vocals are "airy"? I'd like to keep from making the same mistake twice if possible.

Cheers!
Old 09-14-2017, 03:04 PM   #8
Gypsysinger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judders View Post
It sounds very heavily stomped on by compression to me.
Being that this is the very FIRST thing I have ever mixed, you could help me out by being way more specific.

So what exactly is it that you find overly-compressed and why? Better yet, how could I go about creating a better sound?

CONSTRUCTIVE criticism is what I'm after here.

Thanks.
Old 09-14-2017, 04:12 PM   #9
Judders

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gypsysinger View Post
Being that this is the very FIRST thing I have ever mixed, you could help me out by being way more specific.

So what exactly is it that you find overly-compressed and why? Better yet, how could I go about creating a better sound?

CONSTRUCTIVE criticism is what I'm after here.

Thanks.
Hey, sorry about that. Somehow I managed to skip over the bit where you said this was your first mix

It's really good for a first mix!

The drums sound a bit small and splatty. As well as raising the threshold on the compressor(s) a bit, a longer attack time will help bring out the transients.

It's all a bit flat and squished though. Did you compress the whole mix?
Judders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2017, 07:14 AM   #10
Bri1
Banned

Alloello- think you done well.
Not sure how the stems were-but i don't think this mix is overly compressed--it seems to bounce the meters quite nicely here,although it did appear to be a little left channel heavy-maybe a bit more of the kick energy there...
Sounds good overall-the track is well written,arranged/performed.
ThanX.
Bri1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2017, 02:05 PM   #11
DaveKeehl

@Gypsysinger

I listened to your mix another time and I took other notes

For the vocals I said were too airy I meant that generally had too much high-end information. Now, listening to it again, I don't have quite that impression anymore but I'm using my headphones and not the monitors.

Other notes:

- I don't remember what files were included in that session, but the stereo field is really narrow. Next time try to use more panning! Especially the rhythm guitars (which are usually at least double-tracked) really need to be wide and open.
- Next time, try using automations in order to have the chorus really hit you in the face. It's important to change the volume of the instruments depending on the sections.
- Pay attention to instruments like that piano. When you find instruments that are so boring you need to make it interesting. I would have for example something like a hall reverb and try to put the piano distant that way.
- The delay on the vocals at the end of the song was too long

But for a first mix it's really good

Last edited by DaveKeehl; 09-16-2017 at 02:24 PM.
DaveKeehl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2017, 01:10 PM   #12
Gypsysinger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judders View Post
Hey, sorry about that. Somehow I managed to skip over the bit where you said this was your first mix

It's really good for a first mix!

The drums sound a bit small and splatty. As well as raising the threshold on the compressor(s) a bit, a longer attack time will help bring out the transients.

It's all a bit flat and squished though. Did you compress the whole mix?
@ Judders Not a problem man, it's all good.

Yeah, I did compress the whole mix. I decided to put 2 different compressors on the main bus and mix into them. Each was only 1 or 2 dB but they glued the mixed together from the get-go and made it sound much more cohesive to me.

I went back and listened to the drums and their transients. I was able to get a lot more punch and presence out of the kick, snare and toms. I'll listen for that in future mixes.

I guess my ears had gotten tired (even though I took breaks) because I am hearing my mix differently now. Soooo much to learn.
Thanks for the help!

Last edited by Gypsysinger; 09-22-2017 at 01:21 PM.
Gypsysinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2017, 01:21 PM   #13
Gypsysinger

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveKeehl View Post
@Gypsysinger

I listened to your mix another time and I took other notes

For the vocals I said were too airy I meant that generally had too much high-end information. Now, listening to it again, I don't have quite that impression anymore but I'm using my headphones and not the monitors.

Other notes:

- I don't remember what files were included in that session, but the stereo field is really narrow. Next time try to use more panning! Especially the rhythm guitars (which are usually at least double-tracked) really need to be wide and open.
- Next time, try using automations in order to have the chorus really hit you in the face. It's important to change the volume of the instruments depending on the sections.
- Pay attention to instruments like that piano. When you find instruments that are so boring you need to make it interesting. I would have for example something like a hall reverb and try to put the piano distant that way.
- The delay on the vocals at the end of the song was too long

But for a first mix it's really good
@DaveKheel Thanks again for taking the time to listen and help me out.

I'll keep all of that in mind. I think when I have some time, I'll go back and remix this song to see if I can incorporate the feedback you guys have given me so far. If so, I'll post it and perhaps you can give it another listen and see if I've improved.

All the best.