Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > newbieland

Old 01-29-2018, 04:41 AM   #1
Popmart
Human being with feelings

Default How do I duplicate the same VSTi MIDI tracks?

Hi folks. Here is my scenario. I've got one instance of Native Instrument's Kontakt plugin running 8 different brass instruments to 8 separate stereo outputs. Each instrument has been set up with slightly different volume and EQ settings. Everything is running through a 'Brass Folder' on Reaper which I created just for these 8 brass instruments. I like the sound I'm getting but I want this part to really stand out in the mix and panning it dead center just doesn't seem to get the all-encompassing sound I'm looking for.

As I'm pretty new to audio production I wanted to try out an idea which may or may not work. I wanted to duplicate all 8 of the EXACT instruments and their EXACT settings into a new 'Brass folder' with one panned slightly left and another slightly right, to hopefully create even more stereo separation.

I know that ultimately I could just create another instance of the Kontakt plug-in and painstakingly copy and paste every bit of MIDI and every instrument's EQ settings but as that would take a lot of time I wondered if there's a way within Reaper that would allow me to essentially 'copy and paste' the entire contents of my 'Brass folder' into a new 'brass folder' - and yes I already tried to copy and paste but with no luck!

Of course my problem may simply be down to the fact that I'm a newbie so there could be an even simpler solution through some clever routing? Either way I would like to know what more experienced Reaper users would do in this scenario.

Thanks.
Popmart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2018, 05:09 AM   #2
Judders

I think the easiest way would be to "save as..." with a different file name and try it.
Judders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2018, 05:41 AM   #3
Popmart

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judders View Post
I think the easiest way would be to "save as..." with a different file name and try it.
Hi Judders,

Thanks for the reply. You mean to save it as a track template?
Popmart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2018, 05:48 AM   #4
Judders

Quote:
Originally Posted by Popmart View Post
Hi Judders,

Thanks for the reply. You mean to save it as a track template?
No, just save it as a new project. Save it in the same folder and don't copy any media with the save.
Old 01-29-2018, 08:16 AM   #5
solger

If all the Brass Tracks are inside a (Brass) Folder Track, it might be enough to just select the Parent Folder Track and use Track > Duplicate Tracks to duplicate the Parent & all Children Folder Tracks first. And then adjust any settings to your liking afterwards. Otherwise select all 8 Tracks you want to duplicate first.

And as Judders suggested, it's a good strategy in general to save the Project under a different file name first and then try things out in the second Project backup/copy.

Last edited by solger; 01-29-2018 at 08:40 AM.
solger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2018, 04:00 PM   #6
Jaake

As far as I understand, you wouldn't get any more stereo seperation since you have the exact same settings in both your right and left channels. You might want to try having your second instance with slightly different eq settings, or delaying it slightly.
Jaake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2018, 04:03 PM   #7
Judders

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaake View Post
As far as I understand, you wouldn't get any more stereo seperation since you have the exact same settings in both your right and left channels. You might want to try having your second instance with slightly different eq settings, or delaying it slightly.
Good catch.

Presumably it is possible to pan the separate elements inside Kontakt.
Old 01-30-2018, 05:14 PM   #8
ashcat_lt

Quote:
Good catch.

Presumably it is possible to pan the separate elements inside Kontakt.
But if both instances of Kontact are, in fact, making exactly the same sound, then this is just redundant. It can only make a real difference if the two instances actually sound different. If there's randomization, or different Modulation settings, or...anything different between the two, it makes much more sense. Even if both instances are exactly the same, some "humanization" of the MIDI feeding them could probably help.
ashcat_lt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2018, 05:58 PM   #9
Judders

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashcat_lt View Post
But if both instances of Kontact are, in fact, making exactly the same sound, then this is just redundant. It can only make a real difference if the two instances actually sound different. If there's randomization, or different Modulation settings, or...anything different between the two, it makes much more sense. Even if both instances are exactly the same, some "humanization" of the MIDI feeding them could probably help.
Sure, I misunderstood the OP.

I thought Popmart was saying that they'd like to duplicate Kontakt so that they could pan the instruments across the stereo field within Kontakt, to see how that compared to having them all straight-up-the-middle. I didn't realise they were just thinking of having a duplicate and panning them L&R.
Old 02-13-2018, 02:39 PM   #10
lunker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Popmart View Post
I wondered if there's a way within Reaper that would allow me to essentially 'copy and paste' the entire contents of my 'Brass folder' into a new 'brass folder' - and yes I already tried to copy and paste but with no luck!
Although (as mentioned above), this is not the correct solution to the OP's stereo width desire, copy/paste should work to make a copy of the folder track.

It won't get you what you want, but learning how to copy/paste tracks in Reaper may come in handy on another project. Select the "Brass folder' track and everything inside it, copy, and then paste. You should now have a duplicate folder with everything (child tracks, audio/MIDI items in each track, VST in the FX for each track, etc.).

If that doesn't work as expected, post back.
lunker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2018, 12:20 PM   #11
TheDevloper

Default It worked

Quote:
Worked for me thank you