Old 12-26-2017, 08:59 PM   #1
dmoss74
Human being with feelings

Default reaper and video. problems importing mp4

so i just learned that reaper has video editing capabilities. now i'm sure they are limited (not expecting adobe premiere, here), but i can't even import the videos from my cell phone to try it out.

the files are mp4 videos. none of which reaper will import. is there a codec pack somewhere that i need to dl/install?

version 5.7, windows 7 pro 64.

thanks

all i want to do is import videos, add some background music, and edit clip lengths. possibly add title cards, scene dissolves/cuts, etc.

Last edited by dmoss74; 12-27-2017 at 07:24 AM.
dmoss74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2017, 12:02 AM   #2
Seldrums

Hi Dmoss,

Here's maybe a good place to start:

https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=82459
Seldrums is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2018, 02:57 PM   #3
richardj

Did you find out how to import .mp4?

I have the latest Reaper & VLC on Windows 10 and I can't either.
richardj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2018, 09:52 PM   #4
wiglebot

Default Fixed importing video this way

Hi, I read another another thread and you need and have VLC with the same bit (64 or 32).

My issue was I had VLC 3.0 and my 64 bit reaper needs 64 bit VLC 2.2.8 so I installed that. and all is well.

You can check by Looking in Preferences -> Media-Video and click "video decoders" If the wrong version of VLC is in the wrong place an error should be shown. Mine said "Architecture error."

pb
wiglebot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2018, 12:49 AM   #5
gvdv

Hey,
Thank you to all in this thread, and especially to wiglebot.

I was able to open the very first video I loaded into Reaper (tried that for the first time about half an hour ago), but then could not get any others to open.

All of the videos that would not open were .MP4, but the one that I got to open separately was an .MP4 that I had imported, edited, and then exported as an AVI.

It does not make sense to me that it would open one of the formats listed in the 'Video Decoder Priority' box in 'Preferences-Media-Video/REX/Misc', but would not open another format listed in the same box.

But, sure enough, when I clicked 'Show Available Decoder Information' just above the 'Video Decoder Priority' box, I got some sort of error message, telling me - once again, bizarrely, to me - that I needed one of the previous versions of VLC.

So, I uninstalled the current version of VLC and downloaded the one suggested in Reaper, and it works!

Many thanks, once again. I would never have been able to solve this.
gvdv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2018, 04:42 AM   #6
Eliseat

Reapers video editing capabilities are quite good and in a certain way much quicker and better than Adobe Premier's. Ok its more limited in the case of filters, but you can cut, blend, arrange, speed up/speed down, mirror and so on very fast and intuitive. I would prefer it in 8 out of 10 cases for simple tasks.

To load every video file format quickly just download the ffmpeg dlls from the Cockos homepage. Here is the direct link: https://www.reaper.fm/lgpl/ffmpeg-reaperdist.zip (Or search the internet for REAPER ffmpeg to find more up to date versions.)

Just unzip those files or folders to the "user plugins" directory of Reaper. (To find it quickly, open Reaper, go to Options -> show Reaper recourse path...) Or you install VLC 2, which should be working too.

After a restart Reaper recognizes all files which are supported by ffmpeg. Now you just need to drag an drop them from the media explorer. As I know it reads mp4, avi, mkv, webm etc.

There are many very good video tutorials out there:

https://www.youtube.com/results?sear...+video+editing

I always enjoy the reaper-blog tutorials about video editing because it seems he really is the only one getting deep into this and who has lots of clever hints and tricks.

Some hints from me: Just right click in the video preview and go to video item properties to mirror the video quickly in certain ways. Its hidden there. But its possible. And of course use the video processor as an FX to explore more video features. I wouldn't recommend anything in the list, because its just to complicated to adjust some parameter by entering digits until it fits. I often make a work around by exporting a screen shot of my video to use it in Photoshop for creating titles and overlays/texts. Later I use them in Reaper with the chroma key or crossfade presets to blend in and out texts more precisely. Its the same way You would create a logo with alpha channel and put it on your video.

Hope it helps.

Greetings from Cologne
Eliseat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2018, 05:22 PM   #7
ReaperMadness

Eliseat - Thanks for the tip. I followed your link and set-up REAPER according this guy's advice. BTW - he said to put the four(4) .dll files, downloiaded from this site, directly into the REAPER program folder, which is what I did).

Worked like a charm.

Thanks from Michigan - much appreciated.

New Music: = Mourning Marrs =
ReaperMadness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2020, 12:00 PM   #8
Buy One

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eliseat View Post
To load every video file format quickly just download the ffmpeg dlls from the Cockos homepage. Here is the direct link: https://www.reaper.fm/lgpl/ffmpeg-reaperdist.zip
these are the library source files, not the binaries to be used with REAPER
Buy One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2021, 03:13 AM   #9
Stephen M. Hampton

Hello everyone. On many forums, I asked where I can watch high-quality videos and even royalty free video clips I was advised an excellent site where I can buy and download videos in any format
Stephen M. Hampton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2021, 10:17 PM   #10
monbaza

Thank you all for contributing to this issue. I've tried these on my Windows 10 PC and the mp4 shows up finally:
1. uninstall Reaper and VLC
2. Install latest 64bit Reaper
3. Install VLC 2.2.8.exe https://get.videolan.org/vlc/2.2.8/win64/
4. Install ReaPack https://reapack.com/
5. Install FFMPEG https://www.gyan.dev/ffmpeg/builds/ and put the unzupped into userplugins
monbaza is offline   Reply With Quote