Old 10-28-2018, 12:07 PM   #1
EttiK
Human being with feelings

Default How is this still a problem?

Hi. I thought by now the midi notes that keep playing even when you stopped the play will be solved... what is going on?
F3 doesn't solve it.
To toggle the VSTi offline doesn't either, not the action “Send all notes off to all MIDI outputs/plug-ins”...
In Ableton or Bitwig this doesn´t happen, how is this still a problem? This should be fixed, i don´t know if there is another way to fix it ourselves but this needs to be solved automatically. I should worry about producing music, not fighting my software. Unacceptable really.
EttiK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2018, 02:59 AM   #2
dupont

Quote:
Originally Posted by EttiK View Post
Hi. I thought by now the midi notes that keep playing even when you stopped the play will be solved... what is going on?
F3 doesn't solve it.
To toggle the VSTi offline doesn't either, not the action “Send all notes off to all MIDI outputs/plug-ins”...
In Ableton or Bitwig this doesn´t happen, how is this still a problem? This should be fixed, i don´t know if there is another way to fix it ourselves but this needs to be solved automatically. I should worry about producing music, not fighting my software. Unacceptable really.
Reported many times ...
dupont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2018, 03:15 AM   #3
vanhaze

Totally agree with EttiK;
I still suffer from the very same issue for many years now of Reaper-mac version use.
Indeed, reported many times but still no fix.
It's this one major issue for me that sometimes starts me thinking dropping Reaper, cause its such a workflow stopper.
I recently reported the issue again.
And then i get a response with the question when it happens and i have to become a tester, doing research when it happens and when not.
Sorry for my ignorance but I don't wanna test anything, i just want to work with midi in Reaper without the constant note hang issue.

Bitwig, Ableton Live, Logic Pro all just work fine with midi for me, without any note hang issue ever occured.
Old 10-29-2018, 03:43 AM   #4
EttiK

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanhaze View Post
Totally agree with EttiK;
I still suffer from the very same issue for many years now of Reaper-mac version use.
Indeed, reported many times but still no fix.
It's this one major issue for me that sometimes starts me thinking dropping Reaper, cause its such a workflow stopper.
I recently reported the issue again.
And then i get a response with the question when it happens and i have to become a tester, doing research when it happens and when not.
Sorry for my ignorance but I don't wanna test anything, i just want to work with midi in Reaper without the constant note hang issue.

Bitwig, Ableton Live, Logic Pro all just work fine with midi for me, without any note hang issue ever occured.
Exactly, i get that Reaper it's a very community based created program and all that. That it's part of all the things that make it good in a lot of aspects.
The problem is when they expect that the users how should be using the time in what they should be PRODUCING , to test and help the development of the software. That is the devs work. I don´t want to sound like an *sshole but that is the truth, i have paid for a software that i wanted to rely on for a nice work experience but then i found that is not reliable at all. It's in that moment when i get a little frustrated. Even more when this problem has been going for years. They put update out like crazy but this is never solved...
Old 10-29-2018, 06:19 AM   #5
ivansc

Said this many times. If you google the problem and dont mention the DAW name in your search, you will see that we are NOT ALONE.
And yes it is annoying.
One more question: how many of you are using external hardware synths/keyboards & get this problem? It used to be largely confined to external sound sources...
Old 10-29-2018, 06:56 AM   #6
pcartwright

I'm always confused by posts like this because I don't experience this issue at all. I have one VSTi that acts up, but F3 works to kill hanging notes.

I'm sure you've already looked at this, but are the following boxes checked on your preferences (REAPER preferences -> Audio -> Playback).

Reset MIDI CC/Pitch on:
playback start
playback stop
playback loop/skip
pcartwright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2018, 12:48 AM   #7
Eisenspalter

playback start / stop allways helps.
Eisenspalter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2018, 12:52 AM   #8
vanhaze

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivansc View Post
Said this many times. If you google the problem and dont mention the DAW name in your search, you will see that we are NOT ALONE.
And yes it is annoying.
One more question: how many of you are using external hardware synths/keyboards & get this problem? It used to be largely confined to external sound sources...
My case: I don't use any MIDI external gear.
Old 10-30-2018, 12:53 AM   #9
vanhaze

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcartwright View Post
I'm always confused by posts like this because I don't experience this issue at all. I have one VSTi that acts up, but F3 works to kill hanging notes.

I'm sure you've already looked at this, but are the following boxes checked on your preferences (REAPER preferences -> Audio -> Playback).

Reset MIDI CC/Pitch on:
playback start
playback stop
playback loop/skip
Yes, i am aware of these settings;
All checked for me and doesn't make a difference at all.
Old 10-30-2018, 12:53 AM   #10
vanhaze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eisenspalter View Post
playback start / stop allways helps.
No, not for me.
Old 10-30-2018, 03:06 AM   #11
dupont

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcartwright View Post

Reset MIDI CC/Pitch on:
playback start
playback stop
playback loop/skip
Indeed but at the end of the day I am fed up hitting F13 on OSX.
Old 10-30-2018, 04:08 AM   #12
vanhaze

In my situation, in many many cases, even hitting F13 (osx) doesn't help at all, go figure ..
Old 10-30-2018, 11:52 AM   #13
pcartwright

Does this only happen on OSX?
Old 10-30-2018, 12:33 PM   #14
vanhaze

I wouldn't say "only".
But, i have read many posts about the hanging notes issue in Reaper and my conclusion is that it seems that OSX users suffer more from the issue than Windows users.
Old 10-30-2018, 02:00 PM   #15
pcartwright

And yet some users don’t experience this issue at all (or in my case, one VSTi plugin). I’m wondering what is different in these cases.
Old 10-30-2018, 03:05 PM   #16
RobertP

I do get this.
I haven't tested this but stuck notes seem to happen mostly for me with playback and using the mouse to click backwards and fwds in the tune or using the space bar to stop/start. If I click the transport to stop/start it seems to not happen.

I have all the boxes ticked and F3 works a treat.
Old 10-31-2018, 12:35 AM   #17
OPI

Bee happening to me for years now.

Windows 8- now 10
Latest version of reaper
Zebra 2, z3ta +2, predator, and korg m1 are all experiencing the midi hangs.
OPI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2018, 03:48 AM   #18
EttiK

As is clear that this happens to a lot of people and it is a super annoying thing i just want the devs of Reaper to say something about it. If in any moment they tried to solve this or what.
Right now im not using reaper. It annoys me and makes me slow down every time that something like this happens. I would like to because i bought some reaper extensions like Sawer and i would like to use it...
The interface and personalization of Reaper are great, it's a shame to see these problems hold it back.
Old 10-31-2018, 06:30 AM   #19
Michael AD

It's unlikely this is a Reaper issue.

I have encountered it with Ableton and Sonar.

It's a MIDI issue and you will see users of other DAWS with the same complaint of hanging notes.

The usual cause is a MIDI NOTE-ON without a corresponding MIDI NOTE-OFF.

Here is a quick experiment to see if that is the problem with a track with hanging notes.

Enter the MIDI editor and select all. Then bring up the note properties with CTRL-F2. In the LENGTH box type *.2 and hit apply, then OK. This should reduce the length of all your notes to 20% of their original length. Now play the track and see if the notes hang. If they don't hang that means you have a note that does not have a corresponding NOTE-OFF. Now you can CTRL-z to restore your track to the original note lengths and you can hunt for the problem note(s).
Michael AD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2018, 07:43 AM   #20
vanhaze

If they don't hang that means you have a note that does not have a corresponding NOTE-OFF.

That seems a typo .

When experiencing note hangs i always shorten note lengths alittle bit, to see if it cures the hang problem.
In most cases, it is not a cure for me, it doesn't help at all.
Old 10-31-2018, 10:56 AM   #21
Michael AD

Hey Rob--

No, not a typo... but perhaps not referenced well. I was referring to the original full-length sequence as not having a proper NOTE-OFF. I should have made that explicit reference.

Regarding the problem, my experiment does not always solve it, but many times it does. What I actually do when I have hanging notes is set the grid to the tiniest resolution and use an action to reduce the length of the selected notes by the grid size. So it creates an imperceptible musical change that allows (sometimes!) to correct the missing NOTE-OFF.

I guess the most important point I was making was that this is not a Reaper issue. I have been doing Midi stuff for a long time (since DOS days) and I have seen every DAW exhibit the hanging notes problem.

BTW, have I mentioned how much I enjoy your YouTube videos!
Old 11-01-2018, 02:43 AM   #22
ivansc

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivansc View Post
And yes it is annoying.

Ahem! First time I encountered this was on an Amiga 500 running Bars n Pipes Pro in 1900&FrozenToDeath.

Like I said, not exclusively a Reaper problem as far as I am concerned.
Old 11-01-2018, 02:48 AM   #23
vanhaze

Well, i think nobody would argue that.
However (again: i speak for my own situation), if would bespoken how often note hangs appear in a DAW, then Reaper certainly is a "Winner" by far.
Old 11-02-2018, 02:30 AM   #24
dupont

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanhaze View Post

Well, i think nobody would argue that.
However (again: i speak for my own situation), if would bespoken how often note hangs appear in a DAW, then Reaper certainly is a "Winner" by far.
this is a exclusively Reaper issue on my side.
Tyrell N6, for example, I can get hung notes within a few minutes with Reaper, I don't have this issue with other DAWs, Logic, Live, Studio one.
Old 11-02-2018, 03:46 AM   #25
ivansc

Yewah I seem to recall having some issues early on with Tyrrell6 but cant recal what I did to take care of it. So seldom use it these days but whwen I do it behaves OK. I will dsee if I can find time to torture it a bit later today in the hopes of reproducing your issue.
Old 11-02-2018, 06:00 AM   #26
Michael AD

Quote:
Originally Posted by dupont View Post
this is a exclusively Reaper issue on my side.
Tyrell N6, for example
Sure, there may be specific VSTs that conflict with specific DAWs, but that's a different issue than the broad issue of hanging MIDI notes.

For instance, there had been lots of complaints about NI Symphony Essential Strings constantly hanging on some systems, but they just issued an upgrade and so far (at least on my system) it seems to have solved the problem.

(Of course, ED will probably write that the upgrade had nothing to do with solving that problem...hehe)

But my point is that some software can be prone to the problem.
Old 12-28-2018, 12:58 PM   #27
dupont

Still get hung notes with Tyrell N6.
Old 12-28-2018, 01:21 PM   #28
Eliseat

Quote:
Still get hung notes with Tyrell N6.
Does this happen randomly or at a specific part of a MIDI item? And if it happens, does it happen if you repeat the last actions? (playing, stopping, clicking, scrubbing in a specific manner)

I read a lot about this issue but never ever ran into it. But I ask myself why it can't get focused.

Edit: I just downloaded Tyrell N6 and let it run thru a pentatonic scale while changing the note length and tempo. What should I say? It got hung in the moment I switched 1/16 notes to a 1/4 note length and back. I'm pretty sure exactly the note gets stuck which plays if I change the length back. Tried the same with Synth1 from Daichi but it does not happen there.

Last edited by Eliseat; 12-28-2018 at 01:45 PM.
Eliseat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2018, 02:28 AM   #29
dupont

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eliseat View Post
Does this happen randomly or at a specific part of a MIDI item? And if it happens, does it happen if you repeat the last actions? (playing, stopping, clicking, scrubbing in a specific manner)

I read a lot about this issue but never ever ran into it. But I ask myself why it can't get focused.

Edit: I just downloaded Tyrell N6 and let it run thru a pentatonic scale while changing the note length and tempo. What should I say? It got hung in the moment I switched 1/16 notes to a 1/4 note length and back. I'm pretty sure exactly the note gets stuck which plays if I change the length back. Tried the same with Synth1 from Daichi but it does not happen there.
It happens When Reaper is in play mode with a 2 bars Loop, even with no midi item.
Hang happens after continuously adjusting Tyrell N6 parameters, for example envelope release, filter cutoff ... while Reaper is playing in loop mode.
Old 01-02-2019, 08:33 PM   #30
Philbo King

A pedal down CC without a pedal up will also cause this
Old 01-03-2019, 04:18 AM   #31
Eliseat

Quote:
It happens When Reaper is in play mode with a 2 bars Loop, even with no midi item.
Hang happens after continuously adjusting Tyrell N6 parameters, for example envelope release, filter cutoff ... while Reaper is playing in loop mode.
So this is more a Tyrell issue than a Reaper one. Or does it not happen in other DAWs? I did exactly the opposite of your test. I let Tyrell alone and only changed the MIDI note length in Reapers MIDI editor. (Note length longer than note tempo (overlapping) leads into hanging sound.) So it also got hung without doing anything in Tyrell.

I did not do any other tests but changing the synths. And it did not happen with Synth1 for example.
Eliseat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2019, 08:45 AM   #32
MaXyM

I also suffer from this issue.
Synth1 is most used vsti by me and it occasionally make notes hang too. It seems it may hang in the middle of playing the song.

I found, I need to play the same note which is hanged to stop it. It would confirm the thesis about missing note off midi message.

regards
MaXyM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2019, 12:28 PM   #33
dupont

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eliseat View Post
So this is more a Tyrell issue than a Reaper one. Or does it not happen in other DAWs? I did exactly the opposite of your test. I let Tyrell alone and only changed the MIDI note length in Reapers MIDI editor. (Note length longer than note tempo (overlapping) leads into hanging sound.) So it also got hung without doing anything in Tyrell.

I did not do any other tests but changing the synths. And it did not happen with Synth1 for example.
It is only a reaper issue.
Old 01-07-2019, 01:51 PM   #34
Smurf

I love how when someone posts a problem all the Reaper fans jump in claiming other software does this also....Reaper has a LOT of small problems that crop up like this, which add up to a major fix needed.

I LOVE Reaper, do NOT get me wrong, but I also am not comfortable paying to be a beta tester.

Come on Justin & crew, DROP THE NEW FEATURES AND FIX THE PROBLEMS WE HAVE ALL BEEN REPORTING FOR YEARS ALREADY! I don't CARE if the problem crops up in other software, with the talent here these problems should not be happening with the frequency that they do across the board, IMHO....
Old 01-07-2019, 01:53 PM   #35
vanhaze

Well said, count me in.
Old 01-09-2019, 10:24 AM   #36
ivansc

[QUOTE=Smurf;2079751]I love how when someone posts a problem all the Reaper fans jump in claiming other software does this also...[\QUOTE]

Point taken, but in my particular case, I really have seen this problem on not just the three or four DAWs I use regularly, but read other peoples complaints about it happening in DAWs I dont own. I just googled the problem.

This is not fanboi-ism, simply wanting people to explore more than just "it`s a reaper problem" when it patently isn`t.

In any case, sorry if my participation is pissing you off. I will try and remember to look before I leap on future occasions.