Old 12-11-2018, 08:14 AM   #1
bhuether
Human being with feelings

Default Quantization on Record Output (MIDI)?

Hi,

I am using the MIDI Guitar 2 plugin to convert audio to MIDI. It works similar to ReaTune, in that you have to route MIDI from the audio track to a MIDI track, and set that MIDI track to Record Output (MIDI).

This MIDI Guitar 2 plugin is sending short duration notes (like 32nd note, 64th note...) and I am trying to set Quantization to prevent those sorts of detections since the plugin itself strangely enough doesn't seem to have such settings. Using Input Quantization doesn't work here since the track is in Record Output (MIDI) mode.

Thanks, Brian
bhuether is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2018, 12:41 PM   #2
ashcat_lt

1) I'm not sure that quantize is going to give you what you want. If these are like "glitches" caused by false triggering or otherwise basically mistakes that you want deleted, quantize won't get rid of them. It'll just force them to the grid. If you actually want to keep them, but extend their durations, quantize might help that but there may be better ways to do that, too.

B) Input quantize doesn't work because a Receive is not an Input. Is there a good reason why you can't quantize (or otherwise process) after recording the MIDI? I know it adds an extra step to the process, but it's not a particularly involved or time consuming step.

III) You don't really have to go to a second track and record output. You could just Apply FX. It's almost always faster than sitting there while the thing plays through.
ashcat_lt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2018, 01:29 AM   #3
bhuether

Hi, I ended up realizing I can use an action like "Delete every note shorter than 16th note" and it works great.

thanks, Brian
Old 12-12-2018, 01:39 AM   #4
vanhaze

But then again, notes that are 1/16 or longer are still not quantized properly during recording output so you still are left with this issue.. or am i wrong ?
Old 12-12-2018, 02:20 AM   #5
bhuether

Yeah, meant to add that I also apply quantize in MIDI editor, then select all notes to set a length. Seems to be working.

thanks, Brian