Old 12-17-2019, 06:32 PM   #1
kirk1701
Human being with feelings

Default Abbey Road Plates send buss confusion

Okay, I'm demoing this plugin. I always use reverb as a send/return effect. Waves does this thing on most of their plugins, where there's a mono, stereo, and mono/stereo option. I'm trying to understand how this would work on a send.

Is a send comprised of mostly mono material considered multi-mono or stereo? Say I'm sending all my guitars to one buss. They're all mono tracks. Are they summed to stereo at the buss or just dual-mono?

I'd like to know which version of Plates to use. Would I need to set up stereo-specific sends if I'm sending from submixes?
Old 12-17-2019, 07:39 PM   #2
karbomusic

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirk1701 View Post
Okay, I'm demoing this plugin. I always use reverb as a send/return effect. Waves does this thing on most of their plugins, where there's a mono, stereo, and mono/stereo option. I'm trying to understand how this would work on a send.

Is a send comprised of mostly mono material considered multi-mono or stereo? Say I'm sending all my guitars to one buss. They're all mono tracks. Are they summed to stereo at the buss or just dual-mono?

I'd like to know which version of Plates to use. Would I need to set up stereo-specific sends if I'm sending from submixes?
Mono: No matter what you send in, it combines L/R and outputs mono aka one plate and one pickup.

Mono/Stereo: No matter what you send in, it combines L/R and outputs stereo because there is one plate for L and another for R. Consider hearing a mono source while standing in a room but the reverb in that room is stereo.

Stereo: L and R at the input are sent to two different plates like Mono/Stereo but it doesn't combine the signals, this is the only one where if you pan the source track fully to one side, then the reverb only comes out of that same side. I think there is also some crosstalk at the inputs when using this mode.

I pretty much always use Stereo unless I want a mono reverb, and when there are times I need to change that L/R pan relationship, I have a custom FX chain that allows me to make the pan mirror or follow the source track's pan position or somewhere in between that.

** Remember reaper always has at least two channels, so even if your source track is mono, both 1/2 (L and R) have identical audio signals. A side note that mono reverb can really sound 'right' sometimes so try it out from time to time too.
Old 12-17-2019, 08:11 PM   #3
kirk1701

Thanks! That's very clear and helpful.

I notice the CPU hit is lighter in VST as opposed to VST3. Am I nuts?

(Incidentally, this reverb sounds amazing. I didn't expect that. I was almost sold on Valhalla Plate, but the AR sounds much closer to classic rock.

Last edited by kirk1701; 12-17-2019 at 08:16 PM.
kirk1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2019, 08:15 PM   #4
karbomusic

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirk1701 View Post
Thanks! That's very clear and helpful.

I notice the CPU hit is lighter in VST as opposed to VST3. Am I nuts?
You know, I've never checked because I don't think I have VST2 of Waves installed.