Old 04-15-2015, 01:41 PM   #1
rea1ta1k
Human being with feelings

Default Troubleshooting ReWire

Hi All,

I am a mac user trying to get max / msp to output audio to reaper via rewire. Problem is, max refuses to show up under ReWire plugins when I select "Insert Virtual Instrument on New Track."

I have tried to "Scan for new plugins" to no avail. I have also tried setting max "Audio status" to "ad_rewire" both before and after launching Reaper.

There doesn't seem to be much out there for troubleshooting this issue. Does anyone have any suggestions?
rea1ta1k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2015, 02:18 PM   #2
Fergler

That's not how ReWire works. ReWire won't create a plugin for max/msp, but rather accept max/msp output to a track.

To set up, there is a tutorial here:
https://docs.cycling74.com/max5/vign...re/rewire.html

You want the bit labeled "Connecting from Max to a host application using ReWire"
Fergler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2015, 02:39 PM   #3
rea1ta1k

Thanks so much for the fast reply, Fergler!

I have reviewed that tutorial and believe I'm following it. Thing is, it appears to me (a total beginner) that one accesses max in reaper by selecting, "Insert virtual instrument on new track > Rewire > Max". Is that correct?

If not, would you mind outlining the steps for getting the two to speak?

I'm looking to record the audio (no MIDI) output of a patch into Reaper.

Thanks again, and apologies if I'm missing something obvious.
Old 04-15-2015, 02:42 PM   #4
rea1ta1k

To be more specific, I guess what I'm asking is how to accomplish the "Create a channel in the host application to accept input from Max/MSP" step in Reaper from the "Connecting from Max to a host application using ReWire" section of your link, https://docs.cycling74.com/max5/vign...re/rewire.html

Thanks
Old 04-15-2015, 07:56 PM   #5
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fergler View Post
That's not how ReWire works. ReWire won't create a plugin for max/msp, but rather accept max/msp output to a track.
However, that *is* exactly how REAPER works with ReWire - REAPER presents ReWire devices in the form of plug-ins, and you have to insert a ReWire plug-in into a track in REAPER to configure its audio & MIDI routing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rea1ta1k View Post
I have reviewed that tutorial and believe I'm following it. Thing is, it appears to me (a total beginner) that one accesses max in reaper by selecting, "Insert virtual instrument on new track > Rewire > Max". Is that correct?
Yes, that is correct.

What version of Max are you using? Those instructions for Max 5 seem a bit outdated, as Max is currently at v7 and many things have changed. Moreover, many people seem to have issues with ReWire and some versions of Max/MSP... I can't really test this for myself as I'm only licensed to use Max with Ableton Live, which implies that I can't use any audio outputs from Max other than to Live. But, fwiw, on my system, the ReWire driver for Max was initially invisible in REAPER as well, and it *only* appeared in REAPER after I manually created a symlink from the Propellerhead ReWire folder to Max's ReWire driver bundle, e.g. for Max 6.1 (in Terminal):
Code:
ln -s /Applications/Max\ 6.1/Cycling\ \'74/ad/MSPReWireDevice.bundle /Library/Application\ Support/Propellerhead\ Software/ReWire/MSPReWireDevice.bundle
You can also drag and drop the MSPReWireDevice.bundle from (again for Max 6.1)
/Applications/Max 6.1/Cycling '74/ad/
to
/Library/Application Support/Propellerhead Software/ReWire/.

Alternatively, you could perhaps use something like Jack or Soundflower (or ReaSend, if you would have been using Windows) for this purpose. Or, use Ableton Live for recording, which is integrated pretty well with Max/MSP, without any need for ReWire or similar external tools (afaik this would even work using its demo mode).

PS: welcome on this forum, rea1ta1k!
Old 04-15-2015, 08:15 PM   #6
rea1ta1k

WOW! Thank you, @Banned!

I actually just acquired max about a week ago, so I am using v7.

Going to run through your suggestions now - really appreciate this
Old 10-10-2018, 02:19 PM   #7
divedive

having trouble getting rewire reaper(host) max8 (client) working. I have a track w/ Rewire:Max 8 on it - and max running w/ ad_rewire as driver - but nothing comes into Reaper.

anyone have any tricks?
divedive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2018, 02:58 PM   #8
louisdufort

Default Max rewire cannot record

Hello,

I'm able to monitor the output of max using REWIRE in reaper. Now, my main problem is to record what's coming in. I can see and hear the signal coming in, but as soon that I want to start recording, the signal stops sending to the track. I have tried to send the incoming signal to another track using a send but still no luck. I also tried using a different output from max to avoid any kind of feedback loop but still no luck.

Any ideas what's I'm doing wrong?

thank you

Louis
louisdufort is offline   Reply With Quote