Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > newbieland

Old 03-23-2023, 02:53 PM   #1
an3
Human being with feelings

Default Recording Arturia Keylab in Reaper (aka Have I lost the track I recorded?)

Hi there - I'm new to Reaper and recording, so I imagine my issue is "operator error" and not the program itself. I am trying to find the solution to this, but since I am new I also don't know what keywords to search for and my terminology in this post may be a little wonky (apologies if this question has been asked before).

I am using an Arturia Keylab with Reaper. These are the steps I took to use it 1. I connected the Keylab to my Mac laptop
2. I armed the track
3. For the "IN FX" I put the input as MIDI
4. I then went to FX and chose VSTi: Analog Lab 4 (Arturia) and chose sounds from there.

I recorded the track and changed sounds throughout (is this the rookie mistake?)

When I listened back, the track had all of the different sounds that I used throughout. I saved the project, closed Reaper. When I reopened Reaper I could still listen to the track how I had recorded it.

The next day I opened Reaper and now the whole track is only one sound. I think it chose the last sound I used before closing everything down for the night.

Does anyone have experience with recording with the Arturia Keylab in Reaper?

Also....is there any way to get my track back or do I need to give up on that hope?

Thanks for any help/insights y'all can offer. I appreciate it
an3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2023, 05:59 PM   #2
DaveCoast

I have the keylab61.

Wild guess here...

When recording MIDI you're not recording sounds you're just recording midi instructions. Then you apply sounds with a vst like AnalogLabV. Unless you print that sound (render), you just have a MIDI item.

So, you can change the vst at any time with the same notes (instructions).

Is that close to where you are confused?
DaveCoast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2023, 07:47 AM   #3
an3

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveCoast View Post
I have the keylab61.

Wild guess here...

When recording MIDI you're not recording sounds you're just recording midi instructions. Then you apply sounds with a vst like AnalogLabV. Unless you print that sound (render), you just have a MIDI item.

So, you can change the vst at any time with the same notes (instructions).

Is that close to where you are confused?
This is very helpful - I think this is close to where I'm confused! Thank you for taking time to break this down for me. (I'm going to get this terminology soon)

I'm hoping this is clearer...Apologies if the language is still off or confusing... Do you know if there is a way to have my track remember the previous sounds I recorded through AnalogLabV? The midi instructions still seem to be there in some way, but not the individual sounds I applied through the AnalogLabV vst.

Also, how do you usually record your Keylab61 - do you use the VST or something else?

Thanks again I'm really looking forward to being able to use the Keylab and Reaper with more ease in the future
Old 03-24-2023, 06:10 AM   #4
Stella645

Quote:
Originally Posted by an3 View Post
I recorded the track and changed sounds throughout (is this the rookie mistake?)
Changed sounds how? If you changed them using the controller (keyboard) then they are probably still there. But if you changed them from the plugin interface they wouldn't be recorded.

You can add program changes to the existing recording to change the sounds if you know which ones you used.
Stella645 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2023, 07:52 AM   #5
an3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stella645 View Post
Changed sounds how? If you changed them using the controller (keyboard) then they are probably still there. But if you changed them from the plugin interface they wouldn't be recorded.

You can add program changes to the existing recording to change the sounds if you know which ones you used.
Hi thanks for trying to help me out! I sometimes would change the sounds through the vst and other times would change them using the controller. As I was recording it seemed like the vst and controller were in sync with one other i.e. when I changed the sounds on the vst the sound title would show up on the controller screen (and vice versa when I would change on the controller, it would show the change in the vst)

If only sounds changed through the controller are there, do you know if there is a way to use Reaper to retrieve them? Thanks again for the help.
Old 03-26-2023, 09:16 AM   #6
DaveCoast

Have you watched any of the Kenny videos (https://www.reaper.fm/videos.php)? Your answers and inspiration will likely be found there.

My usage is pretty basic/beginner and yes I always use a vst. Mostly the free ones that I've seen in the videos above like Vital synth, Numa Player and Piano One. I like these better than the included ones from Arturia (the Arturia ones seem to be resource intensive and my needs are simple).

I also use the Chordgun script (https://youtu.be/-v5oE79NJMg) which I find very handy to create Chord loops to practice with.

I don't think there's a way to reference any sounds in the MIDI (what do I know?). You probably want to investigate rendering, stems, bouncing, printing, locking tracks, and get some guidance from those in the know, along with the many videos out there.
DaveCoast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2023, 02:30 PM   #7
an3

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveCoast View Post
Have you watched any of the Kenny videos (https://www.reaper.fm/videos.php)? Your answers and inspiration will likely be found there.

My usage is pretty basic/beginner and yes I always use a vst. Mostly the free ones that I've seen in the videos above like Vital synth, Numa Player and Piano One. I like these better than the included ones from Arturia (the Arturia ones seem to be resource intensive and my needs are simple).

I also use the Chordgun script (https://youtu.be/-v5oE79NJMg) which I find very handy to create Chord loops to practice with.

I don't think there's a way to reference any sounds in the MIDI (what do I know?). You probably want to investigate rendering, stems, bouncing, printing, locking tracks, and get some guidance from those in the know, along with the many videos out there.
I had spent some time watching the Kenny videos prior to posting, but was a little lost since I wasn't sure exactly what I was looking for. It feels very helpful to be able to go back now and search for the specific terms you mentioned. Thanks again for the help!

Also, I will check out the Chord loop feature - looks very cool in this video so far.