Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Bug Reports

Old 09-24-2021, 11:25 PM   #1
talustalus
Human being with feelings

Default Infuriating unprovoked horizontal scroll jumping when dragging item edge

Hello, I've prepared a video of the problem described in the subject:

It is rather annoying, and I'm wondering if anyone can confirm that this happens on their end?

If so, I think we need to look at fixing this to restore good, wholesome editing without any surprises.

I'm on v6.29.
talustalus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2021, 12:43 AM   #2
talustalus

Bump. Does anyone have any info on this?

Ideally I'd like scroll to remain static when resizing items, so I can manually decide when the screen should be scrolling.

The involuntary screen jumping causes you to lose time and energy regaining your bearings.
Old 10-01-2021, 04:20 PM   #3
talustalus

Bump. Driving me nuts! Causing items to disappear when the screen jumps too far while dragging item edges in.

I'm asking why the screen can't just be static when preforming drags on the item edges?

Continuous scroll setting did not affect this.
Old 10-02-2021, 01:33 PM   #4
MonkeyBars

having trouble replicating this bug. does it depend on items on surrounding tracks? i can't get it to happen here
MonkeyBars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2021, 04:15 PM   #5
Justin
Administrator

Does this behavior occur with 6.36?

Do you have any extensions installed (sws, e.g.)? If so which version?

Can you make a zip of the .rpp file (no media needed) and your reaper*.ini files, and send that to support at cockos dot com, with a link to this thread included? Thanks!
Justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2021, 07:09 PM   #6
talustalus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin View Post

Can you make a zip of the .rpp file (no media needed) and your reaper*.ini files, and send that to support at cockos dot com, with a link to this thread included? Thanks!
This bug is really a head scratcher.

I have the latest SWS installed; I am using v6.36 of Reaper now. Problem still persists. Can't replicate it at will, it just sort of happens sometimes.

I have just sent an example .rpp file and the .ini files to the email.
Old 10-21-2021, 06:57 PM   #7
talustalus

Quote:

Here is another example. I was time-stretching an item, and the horizontal scroll jump thing happened. It happens all the time. I have to undo, retrace my steps, and try again until dragging the item edge (or, as also happens time selection edge) does not cause the jump.

Last edited by talustalus; 10-22-2021 at 12:13 AM.
Old 10-22-2021, 10:51 PM   #8
talustalus

Bump. I'm surprised no one has this experience.

Need to get to the bottom of it if possible.
Old 10-23-2021, 05:30 AM   #9
Justin
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by talustalus View Post
Here is another example. I was time-stretching an item, and the horizontal scroll jump thing happened. It happens all the time. I have to undo, retrace my steps, and try again until dragging the item edge (or, as also happens time selection edge) does not cause the jump.

Oddness with the peaks there too! Can you save that as a minimal project with media and send to support at cockos? Thanks!
Justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2021, 07:09 PM   #10
talustalus

Quote:
Oddness with the peaks there too! Can you save that as a minimal project with media and send to support at cockos? Thanks!

The peaks appear as what would happen if I stretched the item out by a large amount. Only, I didn't - but the unintended horizontal jump command makes Reaper think I dragged it to a much later position.

I'll send another example to support.
Old 01-04-2022, 04:23 AM   #11
Loedfortydown

Hi there,

I expereince the very same issue!
I have the feeling it happens a bit more often when zoomed into a waveform for detailed editing.

I already tried the following: different mouse, trackball instead of mouse.
clean install of reaper without any customizations.

The behavior didnīt change, unfortunately.

Canīt tell when this starts to happen, but half a year ago or so with a former version of reaper this didnīt happen at all.

I also experienced, that reaper does not react on mouse click sometimes
when triying to edit the track name or double click on a volume or pan pot to center or 0dB them. In these cases I need to click several times until reaper recognizes my click.

I think this should be another post/ bug report?

cheers
Loedfortydown
Loedfortydown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2022, 01:16 AM   #12
virelai

Same thing here, and it drives you nuts really. I'm trying to edit a bass recording, selecting the best pieces from the takes I recorded, but it's almost impossible to do it, as it scrolls while dragging the edges. I made a video too.

https://postimg.cc/7bd2Kx5H
virelai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2022, 03:21 PM   #13
virelai

And just now I realized that it's doing the same thing with the time selection, dragging one end of the time selection makes the progect scroll, like page scrolling, not the smooth scrolling you get when using the mousewheel.
virelai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2022, 04:52 PM   #14
talustalus

Glad (not glad) to see others having the same problem.

This is a most infuriating way to work and the cause should be investigated.
Old 09-16-2022, 09:23 PM   #15
AmanLivesHere

Hi

I've been plagued by this same problem for like a year or so. Can't really remember when it started, but eventually it drove me to make a hard reset of Reaper. That didn't solve anything and the problem persists. It also made me choose not to use Reaper for editing for a while, because of the frustrating and anxiousness inducing nature of this problem.

Here are two videos that show the problem. In the first one you can clearly see the view jumping uncontrollably to the left when dragging edge.

https://youtu.be/Hpyvpi8udd4

In the second one you see the same problem. This time you can also see the view flashes each time it jumps to left (from 0:30 onward it's easier to see). It's almost as if the item I'm dragging the edge of is uncontrollably trying to grow all the way to the beginning?

https://youtu.be/NmOZ_cE68dY

Things I have noticed about the problem:
- Grid visibility or snapping does not have an impact on the problem
- When the view jumps, it jumps always towards the start
- If the arrange view is already in the beginning of the project, it doesn't jump. It might still flash and show the willingness to jump, but since it's already at it's leftmost position it doesn't move.

I'm using the latest Reaper install + the latest SWS extension

Last edited by AmanLivesHere; 09-16-2022 at 09:31 PM.
AmanLivesHere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2022, 05:46 PM   #16
talustalus

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmanLivesHere View Post
Hi

I've been plagued by this same problem for like a year or so.

Thank you for mentioning it. It is a truly frustrating and anxiety inducing problem when editing. Still has not been investigated. Reaper's arranger screen should remain still when making editing moves within the visible screen space.

Recently I noticed it happens as well when I move the time selection:
https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=270660

These movements are definitely buggy and I wish they were on the devs radar.
Old 10-23-2022, 07:13 AM   #17
AmanLivesHere

Quote:
Thank you for mentioning it. It is a truly frustrating and anxiety inducing problem when editing. Still has not been investigated. Reaper's arranger screen should remain still when making editing moves within the visible screen space.

Recently I noticed it happens as well when I move the time selection:
https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=270660

These movements are definitely buggy and I wish they were on the devs radar.
For me it's much more rare to have it happen when moving the time selection. Dragging the edges of items in the other hand drives me absolutely nuts and makes it exhausting to try and perform any work :/

I can start a new project with nothing in it, just create an empty midi item and try to drag it's edges and the problem is already there.

And the same problem is there even without the SWS extension installed, so it's not that either.

I'm running (registered) Reaper with:
- Processor: AMD Ryzen 7 2700X Eight-Core Processor 3.70 GHz
- RAM: 32 gb
- GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 6GB
- Interface: RME Babyface Pro / Fractal Audio AXE FX III (depending on what I'm doing)
Old 03-02-2023, 08:47 AM   #18
StanG

+1 here. Started to happen with my project two days ago with the reasons unknown. It is jumping horizontally SO bad, I can't really operate the project anymore. I need to drag around bunch of items on the tracks, but because it jumps so much, I can't do it with any sort of precision. All this while I'm working on quite important production project.

Any help please?

Reaper v.6.75
Processor i7-13700K
RAM 64 GB
StanG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2023, 11:37 AM   #19
StanG

Whoah!

Rushing here as I may have found some clues on where possibly the bug is located!

I tried various settings on and off as you guys did as well. And suddenly, if you change HiDPI Mode in settings (General -> Advanced UI/System Tweaks) from default Multimonitor Aware (recommended) to Multimonitor V2 (experimental) and then restart the Reaper, issue would be healed for some time. It may re-appear again but restarting Reaper will solve it again.

I have a feeling that this may be somehow triggered by Windows' "split screen" modes. I think it may have started to happen to me when I placed Reaper and Chrome both on my monitor side by side (was following youtube tutorial). I have only one monitor btw.

Thoughts?
Old 03-26-2023, 08:47 AM   #20
AmanLivesHere

Quote:
Originally Posted by StanG View Post
Whoah!

Rushing here as I may have found some clues on where possibly the bug is located!

I tried various settings on and off as you guys did as well. And suddenly, if you change HiDPI Mode in settings (General -> Advanced UI/System Tweaks) from default Multimonitor Aware (recommended) to Multimonitor V2 (experimental) and then restart the Reaper, issue would be healed for some time. It may re-appear again but restarting Reaper will solve it again.

I have a feeling that this may be somehow triggered by Windows' "split screen" modes. I think it may have started to happen to me when I placed Reaper and Chrome both on my monitor side by side (was following youtube tutorial). I have only one monitor btw.

Thoughts?
Oh My Jolly Good!

Yes, I had that default option "Multimonitor Aware (recommended)" selected and after changing it to "Multimonitor V2 (experimental)" and restarting Reaper I haven't experienced the bouncing anymore!

I've tested it with different projects and tried my best to make the screen jump as it usually does but it doesn't!

So I changed the option back to the default one and the jumping screen returned, so I think you were clearly on a right track with this one! If the issue still returns, I have to take a good look through those options and my screen/desktop/monitor, because it really feels like the problem is within that multimonitor support. (I'm also rocking only one monitor)

Thousand thanks to you, I can perform simple, but vital tasks in the project without getting stupidly stressed and anxious!
Old 03-26-2023, 09:14 AM   #21
StanG

It is not an actual solution, I think. But it gets through in the projects we have, fortunately. I am glad that there is a sort of "workaround" but it would be great if this problem will be fixed for good as the solution I found is not really playing well with some VST plugins' UI, sadly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmanLivesHere View Post
Oh My Jolly Good!

Yes, I had that default option "Multimonitor Aware (recommended)" selected and after changing it to "Multimonitor V2 (experimental)" and restarting Reaper I haven't experienced the bouncing anymore!

I've tested it with different projects and tried my best to make the screen jump as it usually does but it doesn't!

So I changed the option back to the default one and the jumping screen returned, so I think you were clearly on a right track with this one! If the issue still returns, I have to take a good look through those options and my screen/desktop/monitor, because it really feels like the problem is within that multimonitor support. (I'm also rocking only one monitor)

Thousand thanks to you, I can perform simple, but vital tasks in the project without getting stupidly stressed and anxious!
Old 03-29-2023, 06:41 PM   #22
talustalus

In my case, I think it was related to having a non "1" scale in the UI advanced settings

But I'm not sure
Old 03-30-2023, 01:24 AM   #23
StanG

Quote:
In my case, I think it was related to having a non "1" scale in the UI advanced settings

But I'm not sure

Interesting.... Will try it tonight for sure
Old 04-02-2023, 06:36 AM   #24
StanG

Quote:

But I'm not sure
YES! This did work. Thank you, talustalus!

I went back to Multimonitor Aware (recommended) and set scale to 1 (the scaling checkbox was actually off for me). All works perfectly now. And I think it possibly even fixed my issue with not working double-click!

Note about Multimonitor V2 (experimental) - is is only a temporary solution, plus it does not work very well with some VSTs (UI is scaled very wrongly)
Old 04-09-2023, 12:16 AM   #25
talustalus

Quote:
Originally Posted by StanG View Post
YES! This did work. Thank you, talustalus!

I went back to Multimonitor Aware (recommended) and set scale to 1 (the scaling checkbox was actually off for me). All works perfectly now. And I think it possibly even fixed my issue with not working double-click!

Note about Multimonitor V2 (experimental) - is is only a temporary solution, plus it does not work very well with some VSTs (UI is scaled very wrongly)

Good to hear.

I guess playing around with different scales should only be seen as an experimental feature.