Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER for Live Use

Old 01-06-2022, 12:38 PM   #1
DaveInIndy
Human being with feelings

Default Windows account dedicated to Reaper?

I have a need/want that seems like it would be widely desired by Live rig users (Reaper and beyond).

Background, I'm going into my second year with Reaper as my live rig for guitar and vocal effects controlled by an FCB1010. I don't have any backing tracks- transport is only used for rehearsals (play along with original recording). I've just expanded channels with the UMC1820 and rebuilt my Reaper template so its almost ready to go. I use the interface as a mixer- every line in goes to its own line out -> soundman. Instruments are played live (2 guitars, 4 mics, keys, a soft synth and SampleOMatic). I use one song per tab plus Snapshots to switch routing and track mutes to change FX mid-song.

With the expanded tracks and associated FX I am finding myself closer to the limit of RTCPU use where pops creep in... 25% or so. In 'show mode' - ie with network adapters disabled, antivirus off, power set to max etc, I have no issues. But switching all those Windows settings back and forth stinks! SO MY QUESTION-

Does anyone have a way to configure Windows 10 user accounts with preferences like these that do NOT overlap accounts? Almost all my 'live show' changes are shared between my Admin and local user (non-Microsoft) accounts. I can't find solutions online, none that are simple. Windows 10 Home here, which does NOT have the User Group (lusrmgr etc) features. I can't even tell if those would do what I want.

Anyone? Buehler?? TY!!
DaveInIndy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2022, 12:48 PM   #2
karbomusic

Things like NIC cards being enabled/disabled aren't per user. You'd ideally want a showmodeon and showmodeoff scripts either powershell or .bat
Old 01-06-2022, 02:50 PM   #3
DaveInIndy

Yes was just reading some scripting in BAT files, ie https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=221955

Would really need something customized for DAW use. Certainly in the Windows versions above Home one can control internet access (WAN or LAN) without touching the NIC state, but not in Home. I can't see jumping through the hoops to achieve that since I don't get the other things needed- power states, antivirus off, background tasks, services, etc. I've just tweaked as many of these OS settings as I can in my main Windows account without disrupting usability outside DAW.

So a custom BAT script to optimize for live sessions, then another to return to SOP. Hmm. I've done some powershell automation in a past life, but this would be far beyond my current state.

Dave
DaveInIndy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2022, 02:58 PM   #4
karbomusic

I mentioned batch files just because they are old school and familiar for many. PowerShell is probably the best option - really just depends on which you know the best but PowerShell is more powerful with less fuss depending.

The majority of it can likely be done just by disabling/enabling services etc. I discourage Windows Home for anything other than home use, aka what Grandma needs (there's just to many gotchas for any type of pro use). But if that's what you have, that's what you have.
Old 01-06-2022, 11:22 PM   #5
mschnell

I highly recommend using a dedicated box for live playing.

-Michael
mschnell is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2022, 10:33 PM   #6
Geoff-h3o

Default 2 OSs

Hi Why not have a dual boot? You can install windows twice on the same machine using the same licence key and configure them differently.
Geoff-h3o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2022, 12:15 AM   #7
mschnell

This

-Michael
Old 03-14-2023, 02:31 PM   #8
/AND/

Do you use ASIO drivers? They give significantly improved latencies. If you don't have one for your audio interface, try ASIO4ALL.

BTW you can try dual-booting with Linux. If you don't use external plugins this would be a godsent, because Linux with PipeWire (a system-wide audio driver) has significantly better latencies than even Windows with ASIO drivers.
/AND/ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2023, 10:58 PM   #9
wakodoha

I use dual boot with a dedicated stripped down version of WIN10 only for live use. Yes a pirate one, even though I have paid for the proper WIN10 license.

That version for live has everything not used for live removed and the gain in performance is incredible (much lower latency), like buying a new PC. In other terms: the bloatware in Windows is unacceptably lowering the performance you should get from your computer.
wakodoha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2023, 12:23 AM   #10
mschnell

Great !
How to get such ? I might be willing to upgrade my old WIN7 live system by installing a second SSD and doing dual-boot for the time of configuring the new one.

I seem to have read that Win11 should be better for realtime performance than Win10. What about no-bloat versions of same ?

Last edited by mschnell; 10-05-2023 at 04:19 AM.
Old 10-05-2023, 01:14 AM   #11
Geoff-h3o

Default You don't need another licence

windows accepts 2 installs on the same machine... probably more!
Old 10-05-2023, 01:16 AM   #12
Geoff-h3o

Quote:
Originally Posted by mschnell View Post
Great !
How to get such ? I might be willing to upgrade my old WIN7 live system by installing a second SSD and doing dual-boot for the time of configuring the new one.

I seem to have read that Win11 should be better for realtime performance than Win11. What about no-bloat versions of same ?
See above, and google debloater.