Old 10-29-2010, 12:12 PM   #881
vseanv
Human being with feelings

Adam, Thanks a lot for your help with the selection option! appreciate it.

You are the man!! the extensions you are adding are definitely genius! thank you!
vseanv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 01:17 PM   #882
timlloyd

Hey Adam, some awsome fade stuff!

There's some unexpected bahaviour though. If I time-select over multiple items, run the action to apply default fade in/out to each item, and then delete one of the items, all the fades disappear on the others. Here is a quick screencast of it. I did it with a copy of an item, but it also happens with multiple items from different sources.

If that could be sorted out, then it's the ultimate fade action I think!

cheers
timlloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 01:22 PM   #883
AdamWathan

Quote:
Originally Posted by timlloyd View Post
Hey Adam, some awsome fade stuff!

There's some unexpected bahaviour though. If I time-select over multiple items, run the action to apply default fade in/out to each item, and then delete one of the items, all the fades disappear on the others. Here is a quick screencast of it. I did it with a copy of an item, but it also happens with multiple items from different sources.

If that could be sorted out, then it's the ultimate fade action I think!

cheers
Whaaaaat in the name of God did I just see.

Desperately researching why this occurs so I can fix, sorry about this, this is weird... This sucks.
AdamWathan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 01:25 PM   #884
sws
Code Monkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reflected View Post
kinda glitchy:
Middle button on the item to zoom in
Middle button on empty area or on the timeline to undo the zoom (bam..weird)
Thanks for the report, fixed in build #9. Also added more great stuff from Adam!
sws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 01:54 PM   #885
AdamWathan

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamWathan View Post
Whaaaaat in the name of God did I just see.

Desperately researching why this occurs so I can fix, sorry about this, this is weird... This sucks.
Okay I believe this to be fixed, it has been handed off to SWS quality control in the mean time, haha... Sorry guys, that was embarrassing, hopefully that's the last of the problems. I'll be sure to let you guys know when the fixed build is online, until then be careful, haha...
Old 10-29-2010, 01:59 PM   #886
sws
Code Monkey

Posted build #10 which sorts the disappearing fade stuff.
sws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 03:14 PM   #887
gofer
-blänk-

Congrats to another masterpiece, Adam. That fade action is incredibly well thought out.
I especially love the part where it fades in or out depending on cursor placement. That makes this fade action also a treasure when used with "select item under mouse cursor" and "move edit cursor to mouse cursor" before it. Point at an item and it intelligently creates either a fade in or fade out to where the pointer is. Awesome . I love it to pieces. I wanted that a long time.

Now I'm spoiled and want an intelligent fade remove as well which would follow the same strategy. Point left of center of item removes the fade in, point right of the center removes the fade out of the item under the mouse .

Your nice "center of item" idea actually is sort of an additional pair of mouse zones on the items, that's great stuff.

Guess I'll try and sharpen my poor Python knowledge this weekend, I think I know how to do it in theory...

Thanks again for all the effort and the most inspiring work. That includes all of you bunch of extension superbrains .

Edit: Actually that was easier than I thought... Got it basically working quite nice .

Last edited by gofer; 10-29-2010 at 05:08 PM.
gofer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 04:18 PM   #888
plush2

Thanks for the fix to the record selection feature Adam. What do you think of the idea that it automatically switch to item record when items are selected in the record enabled track similar to the way it switches when a time selection exists? Right off the bat I would think it would be best to have time selection overrule item selection (always switch to time autopunch when time is selected, even if items are selected as well). This may have other negative ramifications I haven't realized yet but I haven't come up with any in an afternoon of considering it.
plush2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 05:23 PM   #889
musicbynumbers

Thanks Adam will try It out now only just got back home.

I love gofer's idea about the same set of intelligent methods but for removing fades. But you've already added so much so go rest and again thanks!
musicbynumbers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 05:48 PM   #890
musicbynumbers

Default UBERFADE! ;)

just tried it and it Works fantastically!!

LOL.. you know what else is funny, I actually named my toolbar button "uber fade" before seeing that was what you called it, guess there's no other way to describe it!

I wonder what other edit functions we can whittle down to "one key to rule them all"?

Quote:
Okay new and improved fade action... Potential for bugs though, like I can think of things in my head that may or may not cause problems but the code is so dense with so much crap in there I can't figure out if they need to be fixed or if there's no situation where a bug would actually occur, just hurting my brain, hah... So once I commit this, people need to do some experimenting and get back to me when something screwed up happens!

Here's a new vid focusing on the added features:

http://www.adamwathan.com/reaper/AWuberfade.swf

I think it handles pretty much every fade in/out/crossfade related scenario EVER now, all from one action. It rules.
Old 10-29-2010, 07:04 PM   #891
timlloyd

Quote:
Okay I believe this to be fixed, it has been handed off to SWS quality control in the mean time, haha... Sorry guys, that was embarrassing, hopefully that's the last of the problems. I'll be sure to let you guys know when the fixed build is online, until then be careful, haha...
It's fixed! I'm in uni-key-command-fade-heaven, cheers dude and SWS-Tim
timlloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 07:56 PM   #892
Bevosss

Quote:
Bevoss, try the latest build, SWS just updated it now. Should solve that issue!

I found that when duplicating items, sometimes they were up to 0.00000000005 seconds apart, hehe... So the tolerance has been increased now to a value that is hopefully high enough to avoid that problem!
Many thanks Adam, that works perfect now! Quite amazing how intelligent this action is now. And yeah, I saw those extra time amounts when examining the rpp file, I wonder what or why that is happening? Something to do with rounding or snap maybe??

One new bug I found...

If you delete an item's fades that weren't the default fade, and apply your action, the default fade isn't used, it uses the last existing fade shape. It does this for both crossfades and fade-in/outs.

I only know this because my default fade is linear, but I often test stuff on the Brad Sux project, which has equal power or something fades.
Old 10-29-2010, 07:58 PM   #893
Bevosss

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicbynumbers View Post
I wonder what other edit functions we can whittle down to "one key to rule them all"?
Hmm, how about an intelligent one-key trim/extend/crop item action?
Old 10-29-2010, 08:24 PM   #894
AdamWathan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bevosss View Post
Many thanks Adam, that works perfect now! Quite amazing how intelligent this action is now. And yeah, I saw those extra time amounts when examining the rpp file, I wonder what or why that is happening? Something to do with rounding or snap maybe??

One new bug I found...

If you delete an item's fades that weren't the default fade, and apply your action, the default fade isn't used, it uses the last existing fade shape. It does this for both crossfades and fade-in/outs.

I only know this because my default fade is linear, but I often test stuff on the Brad Sux project, which has equal power or something fades.
Yeah that's not really a bug per se, it doesn't always use the default fade shape, it uses whatever fade shape was set for that item.

If you look in the item properties window you'll see each item has it's own fade in and fade out shape... The default fade shape is just what is used as the default shape for each newly created item.

I've thought about it but I think I see more value in using the item's fade shape rather than always force it to use the default fade shape. If you used my action for example, then changed the fade shape, then wanted to tweak the fade, it would revert back to the old fade shape which would probably get annoying pretty fast
Old 10-29-2010, 08:25 PM   #895
AdamWathan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bevosss View Post
Hmm, how about an intelligent one-key trim/extend/crop item action?
Mulling this over now, will experiment a bit and see if it turns out to be a good idea!

I am really into the idea of streamlining actions like this... When Tim first brought out the intelligent delete/split/cut/copy actions it was a godsend for me, those are my bread and butter in my daily work!
Old 10-29-2010, 08:29 PM   #896
AdamWathan

Quote:
Originally Posted by plush2 View Post
Thanks for the fix to the record selection feature Adam. What do you think of the idea that it automatically switch to item record when items are selected in the record enabled track similar to the way it switches when a time selection exists? Right off the bat I would think it would be best to have time selection overrule item selection (always switch to time autopunch when time is selected, even if items are selected as well). This may have other negative ramifications I haven't realized yet but I haven't come up with any in an afternoon of considering it.
I can easily add another action that incorporates that as well. I'm not sure I would use it which is why I am hesitant to change the one I have now. I feel like I probably try and record often while having items selected without really paying attention to it and it might throw me off a lot for it to switch modes when I am intending to use "normal" mode, but I'll look into it!

Regardless, I can add it as a separate option... A little extra bloat won't hurt, hehe...
Old 10-29-2010, 08:34 PM   #897
AdamWathan

As far as the "intelligent fade remove" action goes, would that really be that much quicker than just alt+clicking the fade? There's not really that much intelligence involved so it would be pretty painless to add but would it really be an improvement?
Old 10-29-2010, 08:42 PM   #898
Bevosss

The new action for recording in normal/loop mode is a real timesaver Adam! More thanks...

You made me a python script a while ago which I've been using, where if there was a time selection AND repeat was engaged, ie looping takes recording, it reset the take color.

I wonder if you would consider adding that functionality to your existing action, or possibly an alternative action if it's not useful to the majority? Cheers if you can!

Edit: ahh cool, I understand the fade logic now...fine as is, carry on!
Attached Files
File Type: txt ResetColorWhenLooping.txt (337 Bytes, 255 views)
Old 10-29-2010, 08:45 PM   #899
Mercado_Negro

Thanks for these new actions Adam, I just tried the one for fades, cool!

(Too bad those crossfades are created at the center of the split... hehe yeah yeah, it's me again)

Cheers
Old 10-29-2010, 08:51 PM   #900
musicbynumbers

Quote:
Mulling this over now, will experiment a bit and see if it turns out to be a good idea!

I am really into the idea of streamlining actions like this... When Tim first brought out the intelligent delete/split/cut/copy actions it was a godsend for me, those are my bread and butter in my daily work!
Adam I can already picture that being very handy and fast! Hope it goes well.
Old 10-29-2010, 08:53 PM   #901
AdamWathan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercado_Negro View Post

(Too bad those crossfades are created at the center of the split... hehe yeah yeah, it's me again)

Cheers

Maybe in the future if I am brave enough I will create a similar "setup" dialog to this one that allows you to do all sorts of nutty things... Just open the dialog and set the parameters and the fade action will follow those from then on:

Don't hold your breath though, I have no idea how to make dialogs yet and the "Fill Gaps" action needs it more, haha...
Old 10-29-2010, 08:54 PM   #902
AdamWathan

Bevoss, musicbynumbers, gofer, etc. you guys exist anywhere in the land of real time chat? Could use some input as I work on this stuff once in a while!
Old 10-29-2010, 08:55 PM   #903
musicbynumbers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercado_Negro View Post

Cheers
Could it be made that if the edit cursor was also in the time selection/crossfade area that it could put the cross fade centre at The edit cursor position but the start and end of The crossfade be at the time selection?
Old 10-29-2010, 08:58 PM   #904
musicbynumbers

Quote:
Bevoss, musicbynumbers, gofer, etc. you guys exist anywhere in the land of real time chat? Could use some input as I work on this stuff once in a while!
Can do from Sunday onwards on things like gtalk,Skype or one the text based chats. let me know and I'll send you my details.
Old 10-29-2010, 09:00 PM   #905
AdamWathan

Quote:
Could it be made that if the edit cursor was also in the time selection/crossfade area that it could put the cross fade centre at The edit cursor position but the start and end of The crossfade be at the time selection?
If I'm understanding right that's not really possible because we have a limited number of fixed fade shapes... In order for the crossfade to be any x ms long but have the center of the fade be anywhere within the crossfade, you would need to be able to shape the fades freely :/

What Mercado is getting at is that when you have a split, select the two adjacent items (but no time selection) and run the action, right now it creates a centered crossfade at the split. He wants the crossfade to be on the left of the split (for preserving transients and junk)...

You know what Mercado actually, my "Fill Gaps (quick, crossfade using default fade length)" will do what you want! Since there are no gaps in adjacent items, it'll simply just add a crossfade to the left of each split Not as quick as the "one fade to rule them all" philosophy I know, but might help you out in the mean time.
Old 10-29-2010, 09:01 PM   #906
Mercado_Negro

Quote:

Maybe in the future if I am brave enough I will create a similar "setup" dialog to this one that allows you to do all sorts of nutty things... Just open the dialog and set the parameters and the fade action will follow those from then on:

[img]IMAGE CROPPED[/img]

Don't hold your breath though, I have no idea how to make dialogs yet and the "Fill Gaps" action needs it more, haha...
Wow, now that looks like a plan!

Hopefully Tim will help you eventually with that (hint hint)
Old 10-29-2010, 09:02 PM   #907
Bevosss

Quote:
I'm off to a birthday later, but I'll jump on IRC now for a while...I'll be off and on.
Old 10-29-2010, 09:05 PM   #908
Mercado_Negro

Quote:
You know what Mercado actually, my "Fill Gaps (quick, crossfade using default fade length)" will do what you want! Since there are no gaps in adjacent items, it'll simply just add a crossfade to the left of each split Not as quick as the "one fade to rule them all" philosophy I know, but might help you out in the mean time.
Yeah, I tried it briefly in the past days (been a bit busy) and most of those actions you created a couple of weeks ago (fill gaps, remove overlaps, etc) are very useful for some methods I've used for years in REAPER to 'adapt' loops to project tempo without changing the rate of splits. Thanks for those too!

Cheers
Old 10-29-2010, 09:25 PM   #909
AdamWathan

Okay so in light of this trim thing, here are the first batch of scenarios where the desired behavior needs to be identified.... I've included my gut expectations on the right of each one, please let me know if you disagree with anything!

Before | After

=

=

=

=

=

=

=
Old 10-29-2010, 09:48 PM   #910
hopi

Adam... is it just me or do your links not show up for other people as well??? All I see are = signs and nothing more?
Old 10-29-2010, 10:32 PM   #911
arkima

Quote:
Originally Posted by hopi View Post
Adam... is it just me or do your links not show up for other people as well??? All I see are = signs and nothing more?
Showing up ok here - on Firefox hopi.. Refresh?

ps - A sincere Thank You! to everyone responsible for making these amazing extensions.

Last edited by arkima; 10-29-2010 at 10:42 PM. Reason: comment added
arkima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2010, 03:13 AM   #912
gofer
-blänk-

Adam:
The "center of item" part in your action (1.8.2 #10) has a problem when the item is smack at project start (starts at 1.1.00).

- Have an item that starts at 1.1.00
- no time selection
- place the edit cursor somewhere inside the item
- select the item
- run "Fade in/out/crossfade..."

Result: no fade is created
Expected: Fade is created either from or to the edit cursor, depending on the place of the edit cursor

- move the item (the tiniest bit is sufficient) to the right and run the action again
=> fade is created as expected

Re intelligent fade remove:
You're probably right. The advantage is mainly that I don't have to aim that precise and can have it on the same key + modifier as the create fade. Not really much to it otherwise, I don't think it's worth it. Also, being a "under mouse cursor" thing, it doesn't fit too well into the strategy of your action.

It was more an idea for a private little coding endeavor, no request.
gofer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2010, 03:27 AM   #913
musicbynumbers

Adam that trim/move looks sweet! Will it do multiple items and do you think I can combine it with "move edit cursor to mouse position" for a mouse position version? That would be fast, can't wait to try it.
Old 10-30-2010, 03:58 AM   #914
norbury brook

Quote:
Adam that trim/move looks sweet! Will it do multiple items and do you think I can combine it with "move edit cursor to mouse position" for a mouse position version? That would be fast, can't wait to try it.
Yes looking good guys.

MC
Old 10-30-2010, 07:49 AM   #915
AdamWathan

Quote:
Originally Posted by gofer View Post
Adam:
The "center of item" part in your action (1.8.2 #10) has a problem when the item is smack at project start (starts at 1.1.00).

- Have an item that starts at 1.1.00
- no time selection
- place the edit cursor somewhere inside the item
- select the item
- run "Fade in/out/crossfade..."

Result: no fade is created
Expected: Fade is created either from or to the edit cursor, depending on the place of the edit cursor

- move the item (the tiniest bit is sufficient) to the right and run the action again
=> fade is created as expected
Thanks, fixed on my end, will let you guys know when the fixed build is online.
Old 10-30-2010, 07:58 AM   #916
AdamWathan

Quote:
It's coming along okay, the problem so far is no one can agree on the best behavior in some circumstance so I'm going to make two actions...

One will always trim to the selected area or to the cursor by cropping and never extending an items edge, and the other will always fill the selection by extending the edges.

So in this case...

The "crop" trim would do this...

...and the "fill" trim would do this...

Does it make sense to keep them totally separate or should I include the obvious cropping situations in the "fill" trim as well? Like if you make a selection that is completely within an item, should the "fill" trim crop to the selection or no? I feel like it's cleaner to keep them totally separate rather than have overlap between what they do but I thought I'd get opinions first...
Old 10-30-2010, 08:39 AM   #917
Sambo Rouge

I agree with you, keep them totally separate === much cleaner.
Sambo Rouge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2010, 08:41 AM   #918
musicbynumbers

Will have a think about when I get time but working today, I'm sure if we put our heads together here we can get it down to one command.. perhaps
Old 10-30-2010, 09:20 AM   #919
AdamWathan

Quote:
Will have a think about when I get time but working today, I'm sure if we put our heads together here we can get it down to one command.. perhaps
I would really love that but me, Bevoss and SWS had a hard time nailing it last night haha... Any ideas are more than welcome!

I've got the two separate actions working now anyways more or less, will demo them for you guys in a few hours.
Old 10-30-2010, 09:50 AM   #920
Bevosss

Quote:
I'm sceptical after some of the situations Adam posed, now Im thinking to get the most situations and speed out of it, it should be 2 dedicated actions. But, don't let that stop you if you have a good idea.