Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Q&A, Tips, Tricks and Howto

Old 07-06-2021, 05:39 PM   #1
Mufkatar
Human being with feelings

Default Create new automation envelope with each take?

Hi folks,

I'm pretty new to Reaper. I'm on PC(Windows 10), using Reaper version 6.29.

I find it weird that when I record a guitar audio track, using a MIDI expression pedal for the wah effect, the MIDI data (envelope) gets overwritten with each new take. Highly vexing, as I'd very much like to preserve the entire performance within each take, so that if I switch back to take 1, not only audio but also the wah (MIDI) data from take 1 gets played. But only the last recorded MIDI data is preserved, and is unaffected by switching between take lanes.

I'm sure I must be missing something, because this seems highly illogical and counter-intuitive to me?

I've trawled through Kenny's videos and other resources including the forums, but have yet to find an explanation or solution.

Hoping someone can enlighten me - many kudos in advance. :-)
Mufkatar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2021, 12:33 PM   #2
Mufkatar

Default Trying again

Okay, perhaps if I'll rephrase and redefine what I really need, someone will take pity on me? Here's hoping.

Basically, I just want to record both my guitar (DI audio) and the wah performance alongside (MIDI data), both as takes I can switch between to audition the best one.

Right now, I'm trying with the wah MIDI data as an envelope, but no joy as envelopes don't seem to have takes - they are overwritten.

I wouldn't mind recording audio to one track and the MIDI to another, only I am using the "Learn" feature because the MIDI data are coming in as CC#11, and my Guitarport device (that provides the wah DSP effect) only responds to CC#4, so I need to "translate" the MIDI data in some way.

Recording the MIDI to a separate track instead of as an envelope within the audio track robs me of the "Learn" function (the Guitarport plugin doesn't have that natively) - and I can't get the CC mapper plugin to do what I want.

Halp? Please? :-)
Old 07-12-2021, 01:28 PM   #3
mccrabney

Quote:
I wouldn't mind recording audio to one track and the MIDI to another
i think you can make this work.

Quote:
I am using the "Learn" feature because the MIDI data are coming in as CC#11, and my Guitarport device (that provides the wah DSP effect) only responds to CC#4, so I need to "translate" the MIDI data in some way.
you might try using the vst MIDItoReaControlPath after a CC mapper js. this will pipe your translated MIDI data into REAPER's control path, which you can use to learn your guitar fx on another track.
mccrabney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2021, 01:43 PM   #4
Mufkatar

Default Not sure I can make that work

Thanks for tackling this, mccrabney.
However, when I put in the CC Mapper plugin as an input FX, the two settings (CC in and CC out) keep flipping back to CC#1 when I try to set them to other values - as soon as I arm the track for recording, this happens. And I do mean instantly. I don't have to touch anything, start playback or anything like that.

How to avoid this? Until that is solved, I'm not sure adding MIDItoReaControlPath serves any purpose.

Also, to be very clear, my guitar fx cannot learn anything, the "Learn" I'm referring to is Reaper's builtin Learn feature regarding the envelope.
Old 07-12-2021, 02:02 PM   #5
mccrabney

just to confirm we're talking about the same plugin. you're seeing the first 2 parameters flipping to CC1 after having armed the track? i haven't been able to reproduce that.

maybe try the Piz cc converter vsti instead
https://www.paulcecchettimusic.com/w...-One-Expert.7z

Quote:
Also, to be very clear, my guitar fx cannot learn anything, the "Learn" I'm referring to is Reaper's builtin Learn feature regarding the envelope.
got it. scratch the ReaControlpath suggestion.
Old 07-12-2021, 04:50 PM   #6
Mufkatar

Confirmed, that is indeed the plugin, MIDI CC Mapper. Also, the activity meter for the track is not showing anything that I can discern when it happens. But it does immediately flip both source and target back to CC 1 when track is armed.
Just to be clear, it's added as an input FX. I need it to work live, so that the wah is immediately affected.

I will look into your link tomorrow if I can find the time, or if not, wednesday. Thanks. :-)
Old 07-14-2021, 02:49 PM   #7
Mufkatar

Default No dice?

mccrabney, I tried your link, but none of the DLLs match the name you gave - is it midiConverter3.dll I'm supposed to try?
It does seem to enable me to record CC#11 as CC#4 on a MIDI channel (added it as an input effect), so that is a step in the right direction.
But this input does not seem to affect my guitar effect in the other channel - what am I missing?
I've set the guitar effect to link to MIDI channel 7, and also set that as the output channel in the midiConverter3.dll effect, both are on bus 1. Both tracks are selected, armed for recording, and have record monitoring enabled.

I've also managed to get the JS MIDI CC Mapper plugin to work (no longer snapping back to CC#1 all the time), but the problem is the same with that one.

In short, I am able to record CC#11 as CC#4 on this separate track (track 9), but how do I route it to the audio track (track 7), so the guitar effect actually receives the data, letting it affect the wah amount?

Thanks in advance. :-)
Old 07-14-2021, 11:49 PM   #8
PMan

Greetings Mufkatar, and welcome to Reaper!

You probably have "Record: MIDI overdub or Replace" selected for the track input. You won't get separate takes with that setting.

To do what you want - MIDI recording multiple takes - do this:

- Set the track input to: "Record: input (audio or MIDI)"

Loop away! You won't see the multiple takes until you stop recording. When you do stop, it will be just like recording audio, Reaper will ask if you want to save what you have just recorded. Click yes... You might have to make the track taller to see the multiple takes. It works for MIDI notes, and for CCs.

I would record the MIDI in a separate track, not in the same track with the audio. You will have to change takes in both track... a bit of a hassle, but doable. It's probably possible to have a script the selects takes in all selected tracks.

Good luck!
PMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2021, 09:00 AM   #9
mccrabney

Quote:
In short, I am able to record CC#11 as CC#4 on this separate track (track 9), but how do I route it to the audio track (track 7), so the guitar effect actually receives the data, letting it affect the wah amount?
if i'm understanding you correctly, you need to route CC#4 back to your Guitarport's MIDI input. if this is the case, you need to go to track 9's routing window and select the Guitarport MIDI as the track's MIDI hardware output destination.
Old 07-15-2021, 09:55 AM   #10
Mufkatar

Quote:
Originally Posted by mccrabney View Post
if i'm understanding you correctly, you need to route CC#4 back to your Guitarport's MIDI input. if this is the case, you need to go to track 9's routing window and select the Guitarport MIDI as the track's MIDI hardware output destination.
Yes, that's exactly it! I'm sorry, but how do I find the routing window? I've tinkered with all sorts of MIDI channel & bus settings on these two tracks, but I don't think I stumbled across one named thusly? Tried searching the web for it, am still confused.

Update:
Okay, I think I've found the relevant window - found the "Route" button in the mixer. But it still won't work. I've added screenshots of the routing windows for track 7 (the audio/guitar track) and track 9 (the MIDI track).

Hoping you can tell me what I'm missing here. :-)
Attached Images
File Type: png Track7.png (16.9 KB, 103 views)
File Type: png Track9.png (23.2 KB, 110 views)

Last edited by Mufkatar; 07-15-2021 at 02:29 PM. Reason: Think I found it
Old 07-16-2021, 05:38 PM   #11
Mufkatar

Thanks a lot, PMan! :-)

Sorry for the late reply, I missed your post inbetween mine and mccrabney's at first glance. Appreciate you chipping in!

If you're referring to the setting under the "In"-button, no, it's set to "Record: Input (Audio or MIDI)" for the Guitar audio track. I _am_ getting take lanes, but only for the audio - not for the wah envelope, which also needs to happen.

Alternatively, I can do the MIDI in a separate track (which I'm now attempting), and I am getting takes there, too - only, the MIDI data doesn't reach the VST in the guitar track for some reason. I can't work out how to send it there (see previous post).

I really, really don't want to switch takes in two separat tracks manually when auditioning, if it can be helped in any way. That'd be such a pain.

What I truly don't get is why envelopes are overwritten when a new take is recorded. Why on earth is it not considered part of the take?? So weird.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PMan View Post
Greetings Mufkatar, and welcome to Reaper!

You probably have "Record: MIDI overdub or Replace" selected for the track input. You won't get separate takes with that setting.

To do what you want - MIDI recording multiple takes - do this:

- Set the track input to: "Record: input (audio or MIDI)"

Loop away! You won't see the multiple takes until you stop recording. When you do stop, it will be just like recording audio, Reaper will ask if you want to save what you have just recorded. Click yes... You might have to make the track taller to see the multiple takes. It works for MIDI notes, and for CCs.

I would record the MIDI in a separate track, not in the same track with the audio. You will have to change takes in both track... a bit of a hassle, but doable. It's probably possible to have a script the selects takes in all selected tracks.

Good luck!
Old 07-17-2021, 07:16 AM   #12
mccrabney

Mufkatar - you're very close. in your screenshot, you found the right window, but it looks like you missed the part about the MIDI hardware output. open that up again for track 9 and look at the upper right hand corner of the window. that's the send you'll want to create to send MIDI from the track to the Guitarport (which, i assume, you've set up as a MIDI output option in preferences).
Old 07-17-2021, 07:17 AM   #13
mccrabney

here's an image where MIDI hardware output is hilighted. this is where you need to find your Guitarport

right now, you're sending MIDI to an audio track that isn't connected via MIDI to your guitarport at all.
Old 07-17-2021, 06:23 PM   #14
Mufkatar

Thanks again, mccrabney, but I'm still not all the way there.
Yes, I had in fact noticed that setting (MIDI Hardware output), but the thing is, I suspect I really do need to send it to the track (and thus the plugin), not the hardware as such?

Of course I may be wrong about that. Thing is, I could have sworn that I'd already tried your suggestion prior to my previous post, to no avail (perhaps it was a matter of not having selected the tracks), but tried again and it did work now. Sorta.

Because it only affects the wah knob during recording. When playing back the take, the wah knob no longer moves at all. Checking the MIDI track, it does in fact have MIDI data with the correct CC#4 and channel 1.

So why does it only work "live" and not during playback?? Any ideas? :-)

My only guess right now is that MIDI data sent to the Guitarport hardware affects it in the moment, but when playing back, it is the VST plugin version of it that is processing the recording, and because the plugin isn't getting the MIDI data, it doesn't respond. Something like that.
Old 07-18-2021, 03:35 AM   #15
Andywanders

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mufkatar View Post
My only guess right now is that MIDI data sent to the Guitarport hardware affects it in the moment, but when playing back, it is the VST plugin version of it that is processing the recording, and because the plugin isn't getting the MIDI data, it doesn't respond. Something like that.
A good guess.

You need to send the recorded MIDI CC data to the audio track that has the plugin. This can be done from either the MIDI track (send) or the Audio track (receive). Click on either track's routing button to set it up.

If you're not sure how to do this, check section 2.24 of the Reaper User Guide.

Andy M. VST
Andywanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2021, 06:15 AM   #16
mccrabney

guitarport is both a VSTi and a hardware unit? maybe post your project for us to look at
Old 07-18-2021, 04:20 PM   #17
Mufkatar

Thanks for the input, Andy, and yeah, mccrabney, my bad - I guess I should have made that clear from the get-go.

I've tinkered some more, and leveled up my understanding a bit - so here's where I'm at now:

My Guitarport unit is a USB audio interface with DSP processing, which can be configured via a Windows application - and also comes with a VST plugin.

What I CAN do:
Use the Reaper CCMapper plugin to remap my MIDI expression pedal to send the proper CC#4 messages, and route that channel's output to the Guitarport hardware, it listens on MIDI channel 1. This affects the Windows application as it should, the wah control follows the pedal movements.

BUT - this does not affect the Guitarport VST plugin at all. Even if I change the routing of the channel to a send instead, pointing it to the audio track containing the Guitarport VST does nothing.

Another angle of attack:
I CAN use Reaper's "Learn" function on the Guitarport VST plugin (via the "Param" button in the FX window) to teach it to respond to my pedal (pedal natively sends CC#11). This makes the wah control move in the plugin as it should.

BUT - for some reason, the wah control will ONLY respond to live movements of the pedal. Routing MIDI CC#11 (or for that matter, CC#4) data to the track does absolutely nothing.

SO - my questions now become:
* Why would Reaper's "Learn" function only ever respond to live signals, and not playback? Is there some way to disable this odd limitation?
* Provided that this is impossible, I would like to understand why the Guitarport plugin does not respond to routed CC#4 data (with "Learn" disabled). The plugin clearly states that CC#4 controls wah, so I'm wondering if I've not configured the track to properly "listen" to MIDI - perhaps simply routing the data to the track is not enough? "Input" is set to "Input: stereo" (ie. audio) after all, not MIDI. Although I've tried switching it to MIDI during playback just to test, and no joy there either. Perhaps it's some automation/envelope setting I must tweak to let the MIDI data through to the VST? It kills me that "Learn" allows the knob to be controlled, but that I can't find the "natural" route to control the knob without "Learn" - it must be possible, somehow?

Unless you can illuminate me on any of these two questions, I guess I'm left to conclude that this is an ancient plugin by now and may not ever work with Reaper the way I want it to. For now, the only way I can get that wah knob to move is using the Reaper "Learn", which doesn't work with playback data. And in that case, my choices are probably either to record the processed output (which should also capture the wah effect in the audio) and thus severely limit my options as regards tweaking the tone in post etc., or to buy a new guitar DSP system, either hardware or software based.

I'd like to hear from you (all of you), even if just to say you're just as stumped as I am. :-) And thanks for sticking with me this far.
Old 07-18-2021, 09:48 PM   #18
Andywanders

Does the Guitar Port VST Plugin actually process audio or does it just control the hardware Guitar Port?

Sorry, I had to ask because I'm not familiar with it.

Andy M. VST
Old 07-19-2021, 12:17 PM   #19
Mufkatar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andywanders View Post
Does the Guitar Port VST Plugin actually process audio or does it just control the hardware Guitar Port?

Sorry, I had to ask because I'm not familiar with it.
Completely fair question! The plugin utilizes the hardware unit for DSP processing; the plugin GUI is pretty much a carbon copy of the Windows application. Guitarport is a direct recording audio interface, so I can record my guitar unprocessed while monitoring using a set of effects and amp/cab simulation applied. I can then switch the effects around in post if I like, since the recording is just the "raw" sound of the guitar.

Hope that makes sense?
Old 07-19-2021, 09:20 PM   #20
Andywanders

Quote:
Hope that makes sense?
Got it.

Therefore, inserting the Guitar Port VST plugin on the recorded guitar track will have no affect on that audio. It only controls the Guitar Port hardware.

That means the only way to process the recorded guitar track through Guitar Port's DSP is to send it back out from Reaper, through Guitar Port and back into Reaper on a new track (this is do-able but I've never done it). This is often refereed to as 're-amping'.

So (disregarding the MIDI CC issue for a moment), the way I see it is you've got 4 options.

1. Record the processed guitar through the Guitar Port hardware live until you're satisfied with the take.

2. Record dry, no processing, then re-amp the dry, recorded guitar track back through the Guitar Port Hardware.

3. A combination of 1&2 if Guitar Port can send dry and processed sounds to Reaper on separate channels.

4. Record dry, no processing, and use a VST Guitar amp/FX plugin instead.

With regards to the MIDI issue earlier:

Quote:
What I CAN do:
Use the Reaper CCMapper plugin to remap my MIDI expression pedal to send the proper CC#4 messages, and route that channel's output to the Guitarport hardware, it listens on MIDI channel 1.
In this case you simply do not need the Guitar Port VST at all. Reaper's CC mapper is doing what you need. The Guitar Port VST is not an audio effect plugin, hence, it's redundant.

Finally:

What I would do if I really want the sound of the Guitar Port's DSP is to use option 1 and commit to a take I'm happy with.

However, I don't have Guitar Port so I always record guitar with amp sims (option 4).

I hope this helps (it took ages to type )

Good luck!

Andy M. VST
Old 07-20-2021, 02:31 PM   #21
Mufkatar

Quote:
Got it.

Therefore, inserting the Guitar Port VST plugin on the recorded guitar track will have no affect on that audio. It only controls the Guitar Port hardware.
No, sorry, we got our lines crossed. It definitely has an effect on the audio. If I record the wah as an envelope within the track, the wah knob moves as it did during recording, and if I disable the envelope, or move the knob manually, it instantly affects the wah level during playback.

The USB unit functions as an audio interface, and it has 2 stereo channels I can choose from when recording to my DAW - the first contains the "natural" sound without FX, and the second contains the post-FX mix. What I hear in the DAW is always the post-FX mix, because the VST applies the FX in real time. I can render the track so the FX-version of the audio replaces the "raw" audio.

But this is besides the point of my current issue.

Quote:
In this case you simply do not need the Guitar Port VST at all. Reaper's CC mapper is doing what you need. The Guitar Port VST is not an audio effect plugin, hence, it's redundant.
It most certainly is not redundant - without it, I would only hear the sound of a "raw" guitar, and all the life would go out of the performance - no distortion, reverb, wah, etc. Again, my apologies if I explained myself poorly before, or answered your question incorrectly.

These are still the burning questions for me:

* Why would Reaper's "Learn" function only ever respond to live signals, and not playback? Is there some way to disable this odd limitation?
* Provided that this is impossible, I would like to understand why the Guitarport plugin does not respond to routed CC#4 data (with "Learn" disabled).

The latter can be due to the age of the plugin, so that for some reason, it doesn't pick up on the CC#4 messages I'm trying to route to it, but I find that strange since it does respond when I use the Reaper "Learn" feature with it.

However, the way that "Learn" function operates is really a conundrum to me - why on earth does it not react to playback data??? When I move the pedal, the Guitarport VST responds exactly as I want it to - why does the exact data that gets recorded when I do that not trigger the same result when played back??? So very, very odd.

Quote:
I hope this helps (it took ages to type )

Good luck!
Believe me, I'm thrilled that people are trying to help me, including you! Thanks for pitching in.
Old 07-21-2021, 03:32 AM   #22
Andywanders

Quote:
No, sorry, we got our lines crossed.
My apologies. I misunderstood.

I hope you get it sorted.

Andy M. VST
Old 07-21-2021, 10:16 AM   #23
PMan

So here are a couple of thoughts...

First, you can record your audio to one track MIDI data to another track, *and select takes on both tracks at the same time* I think if found this in one of Kenny Gioia's vids, there are a set of actions:
Take: Set 1st take active
Take: Set 2nd take active
Take: Set 9th take active

So you can select one of 9 takes. I have those actions assigned to buttons in a custom toolbar... I have only used them with a single item selected, but I just tried it with multiple items selected, and it changes the take on all selected items. So that makes dealing with MIDI in a separate track a lot easier.

The other thing is, try putting the MIDI mapper as an output effect. That way, you record the incoming MIDI unaltered. You only need to change the MIDI output that you are sending to the Guitarport track.

Recording the MIDI unaltered gives you the opportunity to try different things, different MIDI channels (maybe the Guitarport only responds to certain MIDI channels), and different CC mappings.

Reaper is super flexible, if it's possible with the Guitarport, Reaper can make it happen!
Old 07-21-2021, 02:24 PM   #24
Mufkatar

Quote:
So here are a couple of thoughts...

First, you can record your audio to one track MIDI data to another track, *and select takes on both tracks at the same time* I think if found this in one of Kenny Gioia's vids, there are a set of actions:
Take: Set 1st take active
Take: Set 2nd take active
Take: Set 9th take active

So you can select one of 9 takes. I have those actions assigned to buttons in a custom toolbar... I have only used them with a single item selected, but I just tried it with multiple items selected, and it changes the take on all selected items. So that makes dealing with MIDI in a separate track a lot easier.
That is useful knowledge! Thanks a bunch! :-)
Now, if I could only have the MIDI data actually do something...

Quote:
The other thing is, try putting the MIDI mapper as an output effect. That way, you record the incoming MIDI unaltered. You only need to change the MIDI output that you are sending to the Guitarport track.

Recording the MIDI unaltered gives you the opportunity to try different things, different MIDI channels (maybe the Guitarport only responds to certain MIDI channels), and different CC mappings.

Reaper is super flexible, if it's possible with the Guitarport, Reaper can make it happen!
I have tried placing the CC MIDI mapper as both an input and an output FX (not at the same time, mind), and it seems to make no difference in terms of affecting the other track/VST.

It seems nobody is clear on why the Reaper "Learn" feature does not work the same way for playback data as it does for live data; if only I could crack this mystery, I could maybe solve this.

I can record a "wah" pedal envelope within the audio track, but I can't get the envelope to be treated as a take. On the other hand, I can also record the pedal input as a separate MIDI track and get it split into takes, but it doesn't affect the audio VST on the other channel.

They do state that GuitarPort listens on all MIDI channels, and they mention MIDI automation as a feature of the VST.
Old 07-21-2021, 11:59 PM   #25
Andywanders

Just a thought...

Maybe try installing Gearbox.

https://line6.com/software/index.html

From what I've read it seems to be an upgraded Guitarport.

It might solve this issue - maybe.

Andy M. VST
Old 07-23-2021, 02:54 PM   #26
Mufkatar

Quote:
Just a thought...

Maybe try installing Gearbox.

https://line6.com/software/index.html

From what I've read it seems to be an upgraded Guitarport.

It might solve this issue - maybe.

Andy, you rock for going all out to help me. Much appreciated, but - I'm already using Gearbox - it is in fact the plugin I'm using with my Guitarport hardware. I should perhaps have been more precise, but I felt it was a needless detail in the bigger picture.

I'm wondering if the reason the MIDI CC data isn't affecting the Gearbox VST is due to my n00bness, perhaps I've set something incorrectly.

I'll tinker on, but I'm wondering if this will ever work... :-/
Old 07-25-2021, 12:00 AM   #27
PMan

This really has me scratching my head...

So lets test a couple of things:

Record some guitar/wah licks, and then:

Route the *recorded* MIDI (from the 2nd track) to a 3rd track, and arm that 3rd track to record MIDI.

Disarm your original tracks, and hit the record button on the transport.
- If you are sending/routing MIDI, Reaper should record the MIDI coming out of the 2nd track into the 3rd track.

-If you get MIDI recorded, the problem is that your VST is not responding to MIDI (for whatever reason).

-If you don't get MIDI recorded into the new track, then somehow, the MIDI routing isn't happening.

We're not trying to make it "work" at this point, but trying to isolate the problem.
Old 07-25-2021, 05:19 AM   #28
Mufkatar

Default A breakthrough!

PMan, your tenacity does you credit, and what's more, you're on to something! :-)

I have done the test you suggested, and while it does create an item in the 3rd track, the only thing it contains is an "All Notes Off" event.

So, my routing game needs improvement, that much is clear. But I just checked with the Reaper Oracle (AKA Kenny), and I'm doing it in like fashion to what he's showing in this video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YTQVIHPKzc0
I'm including a screenshot of the 2nd channel routing window (where my recorded pedal data is).

The 3rd channel is set to receive MIDI on all devices and channels (didn't want to leave anything to chance), and it's the only one armed for recording. I even added some MIDI notes to the Wah recording, just to see if it's only CC messages getting filtered out, but nope, still no dice.

So, for some reason the MIDI data (which looks fine in the item in channel 2) doesn't get any further. Yet, I see the yellow activity indicator flashing in both tracks when I arm track 2.

I'm wondering if the output setting of track 2 is crucial? Since it's just being redirected to a VST, I'm unsure of whether it matters and what to set it to - nothing seems to be the "right" choice.

Addendum: I've now tried adding a piano VST to the 3rd track, and it does play back the random notes I recorded in the 2nd track. So, the data is getting routed there, but only for "live" performance, if that makes sense - nothing gets recorded there. Is my Reaper set up incorrectly, or is this by design?

2nd Addendum: And now I've gotten it to actually record the MIDI in the 3rd track. The trick was to choose "Record: Output (MIDI)" instead of the default "Record: Input" setting. However, while this proves that the routing works in this test case, I of course cannot choose "Record: Output (MIDI)" for my main Guitarport (Gearbox) track, as it needs to record audio as well. So, does this knowledge bring us closer to a solution?

Footnote: Please ignore the track number in the screenshot (#9), I'm referring to the tracks by your numbering scheme in an attempt to be consistent.

Quote:
This really has me scratching my head...

So lets test a couple of things:

Record some guitar/wah licks, and then:

Route the *recorded* MIDI (from the 2nd track) to a 3rd track, and arm that 3rd track to record MIDI.

Disarm your original tracks, and hit the record button on the transport.
- If you are sending/routing MIDI, Reaper should record the MIDI coming out of the 2nd track into the 3rd track.

-If you get MIDI recorded, the problem is that your VST is not responding to MIDI (for whatever reason).

-If you don't get MIDI recorded into the new track, then somehow, the MIDI routing isn't happening.

We're not trying to make it "work" at this point, but trying to isolate the problem.
Attached Images
File Type: png RoutingMIDI.png (17.7 KB, 119 views)

Last edited by Mufkatar; 07-25-2021 at 06:17 AM.
Old 07-25-2021, 08:38 AM   #29
Mufkatar

Default VICTORY!

Aaaaaand it works! :-D The final recipe turned out to be:
  1. Set up routing - simple drag'n'drop from MIDI channel to the audio ditto is fine
  2. Add the JS CC mapping VST to MIDI channel as input FX, remap CC#11 to #4
  3. On audio track, hit "Param" button for Guitarport Gearbox VST and enable MIDI link for CC#4!
  4. There is no step 4.
  5. Arm both tracks, record, and get audio takes in one, MIDI wah data in the other. Use T-shortcut or "Activate take X" shortcuts/custom toolbar to switch takes in both simultaneously. Cackle like a madman.
  6. Profit!
So, apparently the VST doesn't "hear" the MIDI CC data unless I also do a MIDI Link action for it.

Any last tips or comments? I'm all ears! But otherwise, it looks like I'm all set - until the next speed bump. :-)

I'd like to thank everyone who contributed here; PMan, Andywanders and mccrabney - without you guys, I probably would have given up on this little quest. But now it's working, and I even learned some great stuff along the way! You rock!

Ideally, this could all be handled within one single track (with the CC#4 wah automation being stored within each take, and not just once for the track as a whole) - but given how Reaper is constantly evolving and adding new great features, it could become reality some day. :-)

Last edited by Mufkatar; 07-25-2021 at 08:47 AM.
Old 07-25-2021, 11:32 AM   #30
PMan

The param button, yes!

Glad you got it solved! The next person who has a similar issue can read about your adventures and find the solution.

Old 07-25-2021, 05:20 PM   #31
Andywanders

Quote:
Aaaaaand it works! :-D
Great..

Glad to hear it.

Andy M. VST