Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > newbieland

Old 07-21-2021, 05:57 PM   #1
zxzxzxzx
Human being with feelings

Default Plugin to bring up bass guitar in old mixdown track?

I came across a song from a project I mixed down about 10 or 12 years ago. I no longer have access to the multi-track project.

I never considered it a completed song until I was able to listen to it objectively years later. I trimmed it down a bit removing a long intro and fixed a weak sounding opening on the guitar solo and I'm satisfied with what I got but the bass is way too low in the mix.

Is there a plugin that can surgically boost the bass guitar level without disturbing anything else?
zxzxzxzx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2021, 09:35 PM   #2
Lynx_TWO

iZotope has a bass module in Ozone that can do some impressive things based on machine learning. Also check out the plugin BassRoom if your just looking for an eq designed to get your low end right. You also try an EQ such as Fabfilter’s Q 3, in dynamic mode and Natural Phase
Lynx_TWO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2021, 12:09 PM   #3
martifingers

This may be of use too?

ISOL8 by TB Pro Audio
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W1acEnIS8Rk
martifingers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2021, 01:08 AM   #4
zxzxzxzx

Thanks.
Old 07-23-2021, 03:06 AM   #5
beingmf

Izotope RX7 does work somehow (I tried the demo on a crackly low-fi 60's recording, and the results weren't half bad), and then there's the open-source solution https://github.com/deezer/spleeter (which I haven't tried yet).

Unfortunately I forgot the name of a Reaper scripting project which is intended to do exactly that as well, but it was too nerdy command-line-ish for me, so I never installed it. But maybe you do and let us know how it came out?
Old 07-23-2021, 07:56 AM   #6
Stoker

Quote:
Originally Posted by beingmf View Post
Izotope RX7 does work somehow (I tried the demo on a crackly low-fi 60's recording, and the results weren't half bad), and then there's the open-source solution https://github.com/deezer/spleeter (which I haven't tried yet).
I've been using a version of Spleeter wrapped up in an easy to use GUI (Windows only I think). I mosly use it to extract bass lines where I can't quite hear what the bass player is doing in the complete mix to help with transcription. However I did a little experiment with an old Blondie track where I extracted the bass and then mixed that back in at a higher level with the original track and it worked really well.

https://makenweb.com/SpleeterGUI

The quality of the results can vary bit but it can be a very useful tool.

Here's an example, about half way through I mix in the extracted bass: Blondie

--Ian

Last edited by Stoker; 07-23-2021 at 08:16 AM. Reason: Added link to example track
Stoker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2021, 09:09 AM   #7
beingmf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoker View Post
However I did a little experiment with an old Blondie track where I extracted the bass and then mixed that back in at a higher level with the original track and it worked really well.

--Ian
Amazing, just what the OP needs! Thanks for the positive "review"
Old 07-23-2021, 01:13 PM   #8
zxzxzxzx

Thanks again. I'll give that Spleeter a try.
Old 07-23-2021, 07:58 PM   #9
zxzxzxzx

Quote:
I've been using a version of Spleeter wrapped up in an easy to use GUI (Windows only I think). I mosly use it to extract bass lines where I can't quite hear what the bass player is doing in the complete mix to help with transcription. However I did a little experiment with an old Blondie track where I extracted the bass and then mixed that back in at a higher level with the original track and it worked really well.

--Ian
I get an error telling my that "Tensorflow" failed to install. It looks to require "Python PiP" which is not installed and does not look to be a simple straight ahead installation.

Did you have to go through any of that?

What are you running it on?
Old 07-23-2021, 09:16 PM   #10
dug dog

If you don't mind spending a few bucks, there's a "cross-grade" price on Izotope RX 8 Standard of $100 if you own any other "paid" Izotope product (and some of those are priced as low as $10).

This is an impressive piece of software and the bass extraction (and volume rebalancing) capabilities in RX8 are an improvement over the previous version, RX7.

Last edited by dug dog; 07-23-2021 at 09:21 PM.
dug dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2021, 05:18 AM   #11
Stoker

Quote:
Originally Posted by zxzxzxzx View Post
I get an error telling my that "Tensorflow" failed to install. It looks to require "Python PiP" which is not installed and does not look to be a simple straight ahead installation.

Did you have to go through any of that?

What are you running it on?
I'm using a laptop PC running Windows 10. Did you use the download from the makenweb.com website that I pointed to? From the info on their site it says that it's a self contained install and doesn't require the user to have an existing Python install. SpleeterGUI installed and ran without issue for me. Sorry I can't be anymore help.

I did try to do an install from the Spleeter github site first on my Ubuntu system and that way does require Python, pip and conda in order to get it all working. I gave up with that and booted the Windows PC!

If you can't get it to work and it's just one or 2 tracks, I'd be happy to try it for you if you can send me the mix somehow.

--Ian
Stoker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2021, 04:42 PM   #12
ts335

+1 for ISOL8 - Free - I use it to learn bass parts that are hard to grab sometimes. Very tweakable to get the right freq range.

If you don't mine spending a few bucks there's PEEL from ZPlane. A lot like Spleeter without the fuss and a pretty good interface. There is a trial version.

https://www.pluginboutique.com/products/7190-PEEL
Old 07-29-2021, 10:23 PM   #13
zxzxzxzx

Quote:
I'm using a laptop PC running Windows 10. Did you use the download from the makenweb.com website that I pointed to? From the info on their site it says that it's a self contained install and doesn't require the user to have an existing Python install. SpleeterGUI installed and ran without issue for me. Sorry I can't be anymore help.

I did try to do an install from the Spleeter github site first on my Ubuntu system and that way does require Python, pip and conda in order to get it all working. I gave up with that and booted the Windows PC!

If you can't get it to work and it's just one or 2 tracks, I'd be happy to try it for you if you can send me the mix somehow.

--Ian

That is indeed what I used. I tried again to get it going with no luck. Then I found a simple program on the site that tells me whether or not I can run the program. It checks if your CPU supports the required AVX instruction set. The answer was a straight up "NO". One of the most no nonsense utilities I have ever used. LOL! see attachment.

Thanks for your suggestion. I'll take your offer into consideration.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg AVX_NO.jpg (9.4 KB, 78 views)