Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER for macOS

Old 12-28-2010, 04:38 PM   #1
Robokid
Human being with feelings

Default REAPER won't let me do time selection anymore?? Also, how do you do negative space?

Hey guys,

I'm in the middle of tracking a band and all of a sudden I can't highlight and area to remove it. Usually, I click and drag and it highlights the area in white, and I can do stuff like right click and select "insert empty space in selection" or "remove selection" etc., but now when I click and drag it won't highlight an area in white...? Any ideas? I'm thinking I probably accidentally changed a setting or something in the preferences box or option drop-down menu.

ALSO!!! I am doing gapless playback for another project, and I want to have negative space between tracks so it doesn't do the slight hiccup before the next track starts (which it does hiccup sometimes with using markers and burning the disk straight from REAPER using the markers as new tracks). Any ideas?

Thanks so much!

Trevor
Robokid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 08:54 AM   #2
Robokid

Guys I hate to pester but I really need this answered asap! Thanks for the help!
Old 12-29-2010, 08:56 AM   #3
schwa
Administrator

All I can think is that somehow you may have locked the time selection accidentally? Is the toolbar lock button lit? If so, click it, or right click it to set what gets locked when the toolbar lock button is on.
schwa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 09:37 AM   #4
brucie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robokid View Post
... but now when I click and drag it won't highlight an area in white...? Any ideas? ...
That happened to me only once...user error.

I had zoomed in too far, so the snap settings didn´t allow me to drag a time selection...
brucie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 04:07 PM   #5
Robokid

Somehow it started working again.. strange

But how do I do negative space when mastering a project? Can't find info on that ANYwhere
Old 12-29-2010, 04:20 PM   #6
Ollie
Super Moderator (no feelings)

Project Settings->'Project Settings' tab->"Project start time" and "Project start measure".
Ollie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 11:51 AM   #7
Robokid

Ya, I know how to do it when one track is involved, but how do you do it for an EP or album? I always bounce all the project's tracks to .wav files, then put them in one project, and use markers as tracks, and burn as an audio cd for gapless playback. How do I do negative space for more than one track in the same project?

Thanks!
Old 12-31-2010, 09:24 AM   #8
Robokid

I appreciate all the help so far, can anyone help me out with doing negative time in a multi-song project? Thanks!
Old 01-04-2011, 03:18 PM   #9
Ollie
Super Moderator (no feelings)

I'm sorry I'm not sure what you mean by "negative time by track" - there's only one time ruler for all tracks. Or do you simply want to insert empty spacebetween two items? (Right-click empty space in the arrange window -> "Insert empty space in selection")
Ollie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 03:46 AM   #10
bexpert

Quote:
Originally Posted by schwa View Post
All I can think is that somehow you may have locked the time selection accidentally? Is the toolbar lock button lit? If so, click it, or right click it to set what gets locked when the toolbar lock button is on.
I know this is an extremely old thread, but thank you so much for this post. You just saved me a ton of headache. That stupid lock icon. It would have driven me crazy if I hadn't found this thread.
bexpert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 08:05 AM   #11
kemper

Seconded ! Also , it's worth making sure the locking isn't mapped to a key that might get accidentally triggered.
kemper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 10:13 AM   #12
serr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robokid View Post
I want to have negative space between tracks so it doesn't do the slight hiccup before the next track starts
I think you're talking about an obsolete feature that used to be used with the CD format. This would let you edit the "pause space" (extra space between tracks).

The concept was that the song file itself would be trimmed to play 'correctly' as a single and then any needed extra blank space for a proper segue would be handled by the pause space. An example that makes more sense might be a live album. You'd put the stage banter introducing the song in the pause space so you'd hear it in context when listening to the whole album but the song would start right at the 1st note when skipping to it or playing just the one track. During the pause space time, you see the hardware CD player clock counting backwards.

A bug in one of the earlier CD authoring apps is responsible for the ability to make that 'secret track' pause space you need to scroll back from the start of the 1st song to hear. (The bug being the ability to make this more than the intended 2 seconds and put recorded content there.)

Note that this system does nothing to eliminate errors (hiccups) or allow gapless vs. not gapless. Content is determined 100% by the song file itself. This is merely a system that used to be recognized by hardware CD players to affect where the index points go.

'Hiccups' or glitches between tracks (what people used to refer to as 'lack of gapless playback' or 'sector boundary errors') was a common problem with early bug riddled software. This was never a thing that you needed a 'feature' to prevent, it was straight up corrupt software with verifiable bugs.

Back to 2013...

If you still want to support this obsolete format for the couple older machines some of your listeners might have, you'll have to find an older CD authoring app that lets you edit these pause space values.

Make your final 24 bit (original sample rate) masters first. (This is priority one and what you want people to hear.)
Edit your final master so the segues between tracks are proper. (ie. Make the best choice for the starting point if content segues like a live recording for example.)

Make the reduced quality portable master next for the 16 bit format (CD) and further destruction to mp3.
Same segues/indexes editing, just reduced quality for the format.

Now make a 3rd "special pause space" CD master.

IMPORTANT
Understand that when anyone rips that CD to wav files (ie. anyone that listens to their media with a computer or portable device), the pause spaces you make (where the hardware CD player is counting backwards) will be appended to the end of each track they come after.

That means when you get creative with that live album and put the stage banter intro to a song in the pause space, the previous song will now end with that segue section. Kind of an awkward transition to the current non-use of this feature.

Last edited by serr; 10-26-2013 at 10:21 AM.
serr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 06:33 AM   #13
illsoulprod259

Default YES

Life saving thread right here
illsoulprod259 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2016, 09:49 PM   #14
sammydix

...and years later it's still giving...

I didn't even know how I hit it, but sure enough, the lock was on all the while I was pulling my hair out wondering why I could no longer make a time selection.

Looks like this helps at least one person a year or so. Kudos RoboKid and schwa.
sammydix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2016, 06:20 PM   #15
MonkeyBars

Yes thanks Schwa. Looks like it's on by default in my template... whoops
MonkeyBars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2017, 03:48 PM   #16
fallforward

Just used this thread today, thank you! Had the timeline locked... Didn't know I could do that...
fallforward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2017, 10:54 AM   #17
squibs

Just fell victim to this too. Think I'll be deleting that button from my toolbar.
squibs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2017, 11:42 AM   #18
sammydix

It's looking like this thread should be a sticky. It keeps on going...
sammydix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2017, 05:21 AM   #19
zacki

Quote:
Originally Posted by sammydix View Post
...and years later it's still giving...

I didn't even know how I hit it, but sure enough, the lock was on all the while I was pulling my hair out wondering why I could no longer make a time selection.

Looks like this helps at least one person a year or so. Kudos RoboKid and schwa.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fallforward View Post
Just used this thread today, thank you! Had the timeline locked... Didn't know I could do that...
Quote:
Originally Posted by squibs View Post
Just fell victim to this too. Think I'll be deleting that button from my toolbar.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sammydix View Post
It's looking like this thread should be a sticky. It keeps on going...
So, I was another "victim" of a locked timeline. Good this thread exits!