Old 05-13-2017, 08:16 AM   #1801
biopsin
Human being with feelings

Default GDK2 compile error

Heyah,
https://github.com/justinfrankel/WDL...8915dbab3ca171
Unfortunely this commit introduces a GDK3.10 spesific problem for the GDK2 oldtimers.
After some wacuuming for a approach, I could'nt digg up anything else other then to omit the the hole thing. Any concequence of this?

the error:
http://www.mediafire.com/file/g3r8sx...x161_scrot.png
Attached Files
File Type: txt omit_gtk3.patch.txt (1.2 KB, 21 views)

Last edited by biopsin; 05-13-2017 at 08:19 AM. Reason: addon
Old 05-13-2017, 10:36 PM   #1802
Justin
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by biopsin View Post
Heyah,
https://github.com/justinfrankel/WDL...8915dbab3ca171
Unfortunely this commit introduces a GDK3.10 spesific problem for the GDK2 oldtimers.
After some wacuuming for a approach, I could'nt digg up anything else other then to omit the the hole thing. Any concequence of this?

the error:
http://www.mediafire.com/file/g3r8sx...x161_scrot.png
I'll take a look to see if there's a diff API for gdk2, but if not then it'll be #ifdef time!
Old 05-14-2017, 08:14 AM   #1803
Justin
Administrator

BTW, you know you can have both GTK2 and GTK3 installed side by side, right?

Edit: pushed a GDK2 implementation of the virtual desktop support too.

Last edited by Justin; 05-14-2017 at 12:31 PM.
Old 05-15-2017, 08:11 AM   #1804
biopsin

Yes! as long I can stick to one toolkit version I will and all apps I use are either fltk/gtk2/qt4. When you decide to pull the plugg on it,
I will comply but thank you for keeping it alive!

Regarding elastique, will it reenter sometime this year? It's one of those things I like toy around with, since I mostly make music for cat's
Old 05-15-2017, 10:21 AM   #1805
Jack Winter

Who here sees the yellow flashing on the transport bar, and do you see it a lot or only occasionally?

Am curious to know to what extent there are these type of audio processing / backend problems?
Software: Archlinux/KDE/Wine, Reaper64, Komplete8, IK Multimedia, Toontrack and various other plugs. Gear: i7-2600k, 16gb ram, RME Multiface, RME Babyface, Behringer X32, Genelec 8040, and much more :)
Old 05-15-2017, 10:24 AM   #1806
ÄxxlForce

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Winter View Post
Who here sees the yellow flashing on the transport bar, and do you see it a lot or only occasionally?

Am curious to know to what extent there are these type of audio processing / backend problems?
yes, I have that bar. I'd say it mostly occurs after startup but yeah it is there quite regularly.
Old 05-15-2017, 10:26 AM   #1807
clepsydrae

Quote:

On Windows I never see it (as expected, if I understand things correctly.) On a Linux laptop I have seen it, but once I dial in the system (turn off wireless networking, increase latency a bit, etc.) I never see it. On a reasonably powerful linux desktop (Kubuntu 16.10) I never see it (though again, I tend to run at moderately high latencies as a matter of habit.)
Old 05-15-2017, 12:22 PM   #1808
Finnish

Quote:

My mixes are more complex (well, just basic builtin plugs etc) with more tracks and routing, certainly I can see the link between cpu-usage and yellow bar. Is that a disc/storage related signal, buffer underrun or? I'm always @64 samples, 2600k cpu.
Old 05-15-2017, 12:58 PM   #1809
Jack Winter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finnish View Post
My mixes are more complex (well, just basic builtin plugs etc) with more tracks and routing, certainly I can see the link between cpu-usage and yellow bar. Is that a disc/storage related signal, buffer underrun or? I'm always @64 samples, 2600k cpu.
It happens when JACK signals an xrun. The red flash signals a disk underrun. Ought to correlate to "RT longest block" in the performance window.
Software: Archlinux/KDE/Wine, Reaper64, Komplete8, IK Multimedia, Toontrack and various other plugs. Gear: i7-2600k, 16gb ram, RME Multiface, RME Babyface, Behringer X32, Genelec 8040, and much more :)
Old 05-15-2017, 03:49 PM   #1810
ÄxxlForce

yep, I can confirm that! I did some more fiddling around with guitar amp VSTs and I can run jack with 128@48000 which gives me acceptable latency of under 10ms but with a specific regularity I get a bunch of XRuns which than cause the yellow bar. hmm, any idea what that could be? It almost feels like garbage collection but AFAIK nor jack or Reaper are written in a managed language...
Old 05-16-2017, 01:28 PM   #1811
Garrick

Wine 2.8 has been delivered.

A few entries for the dwrite.dll, not sure what it does but I add dwrite as a disabled dll in winecfg to get vsts like cytomic and d16 working.

Seems like only yesterday wine was at 1.9
Old 05-17-2017, 12:05 AM   #1812
eric71

I'm curious about the new 5.411 on landoleet, but I don't have access to my linux computer until later today. Has anyone tried the new alsa option?
Old 05-17-2017, 12:35 AM   #1813
biopsin

Quote:

Yep, depends on complexity too, but on simple stuff maybe every 10-20 sec apart. I thought it was only my setup so I stayed quiet.. but no red thou

will test increase the periods later this week.
Quote:
jack_control eps realtime true
jack_control eps realtime-priority 90
jack_control ds alsa
jack_control dps device hw: DSP
jack_control dps rate 48000
jack_control dps period 128
jack_control dps nperiods 2
jack_control start

a2j_control ehw
a2j_control start

ifrun patchage
Old 05-17-2017, 01:43 AM   #1814
daverich

ok.

New alsa option doesn't work yet for me (says it cant get the device) but the pulseaudio option works for playback!,- it doesn't seem to be working for record however - see link

I can't hear anything but there's a weird signal there. We're nearly there folks!

https://goo.gl/photos/268yWphwWZBreRcz6
Old 05-17-2017, 03:01 AM   #1815
David Else

Trying new 5.411.

error > Pulse works, but the sound only comes from one speaker.

ALSA defaults to hw 0:0, which does not work. I correct it to hw 1:0 (which should be my USB audio interface) and now it connects but:

error (or missing feature) - won't accept 'bit depth' 16, have to correct to 32 (the right setting for my audio interface)

error 2 - won't accept 'buffers' with 0,1,2 or 3... or anything?

There was an error opening the audio hardware:

ALSA: error setting output device buffer size

This is brilliant, we even get a pulse audio option, even more choice than Ardour
Old 05-17-2017, 03:02 AM   #1816
Jack Winter

Quote:
Originally Posted by biopsin View Post
Yep, depends on complexity too, but on simple stuff maybe every 10-20 sec apart. I thought it was only my setup so I stayed quiet.. but no red thou

will test increase the periods later this week.
Maybe that's what everyone has in common, relatively low latency.

I see a lot more flashing when I'm on 64/128 samples latency. I think there are a few delays in reaper that might cause them, will try to see if I can figure out what triggers them.

You'll probably find that the yellow flashing corresponds to JACK xruns, and a RT biggest block (performance) exceeding the available deadline.

Apart from that, IME to run at 64/128 without xruns probably needs a realtime patched kernel, and setting the priority of the soundcard. 256 and upwards ought to be ok with the low latency kernel (referring to the system and soundcard causing xruns).

Last edited by Jack Winter; 05-17-2017 at 03:07 AM.
Old 05-17-2017, 03:04 AM   #1817
Jack Winter

I also got the pulse backend running once I lowered the channel count to 2 in and 2 out. Even managed to record the youtube playback of chromium.

Still playing with the alsa backend to see what's needed to start it.
Old 05-17-2017, 03:47 AM   #1818
David Else

Quote:
I also got the pulse backend running once I lowered the channel count to 2 in and 2 out. Even managed to record the youtube playback of chromium.

Still playing with the alsa backend to see what's needed to start it.
Thanks, lowering pulse to 2 in 2 out did get normal stereo playback working

I assume that MIDI is something that will come later with pulse and alsa...

Awesome work Justin!
Old 05-17-2017, 03:49 AM   #1819
osxmidi

I got occasional yellow flashing when testing LinVst out on an old Dell Inspiron laptop using 10ms latency (256/48000hz) with the stock low latency Ubuntu Studio kernel as a target.

The inbuilt sound system on a Dell Inspiron is down at the low end of the audio hardware spectrum.

But, then I started playing around with stopping system services and system (not jack) interrupt priorities and later on a real time kernel and the yellow flashing vanished.

Interrupt priorities on these devices

"rtc" - realtime clock
"ehci_hcd:usb2" - USB port 2
"snd" - internal sound chip
"i8042" - keyboard/mouse/touchpad controller

It's even vanished when I just use the stock low latency kernel (instead of the real time kernel), maybe due to some interrupt/services settings that could have been altered by the real time kernel installation.

Just stopping some services made the yellow flashing vanish on my system.

Some services (daemons) can interfere with latency, and also cpu power scaling, and also interrupt priorities.

Last edited by osxmidi; 05-17-2017 at 04:07 AM.
Old 05-17-2017, 04:00 AM   #1820
Jack Winter

Quote:
Originally Posted by osxmidi View Post
I got occasional yellow flashing when testing LinVst out on an old Dell Inspiron laptop using 10ms latency (256/48000hz) with the stock low latency Ubuntu Studio kernel as a target.

The inbuilt sound system on a Dell Inspiron is down at the low end of the audio hardware spectrum.

But, then I started playing around with stopping system services and system (not jack) interrupt priorities and later on a real time kernel and the yellow flashing vanished.

It's even vanished when I just use the stock low latency kernel (instead of the real time kernel), maybe due to some interrupt/services settings that could have been altered by the real time kernel installation.

Just stopping some services made the yellow flashing vanish on my system.

Some services (daemons) can interfere with latency, and also cpu power scaling, and also interrupt priorities.
What IME is pretty important is changing the priority of the soundcard/usb hub to a high value. That is regardless of using a rt patched kernel or not. On my desktop i7-2600k it's the only thing I really care about. The Intel pstate driver seems to work flawlessly shifting the cpu in and out of power saving mode without causing any xruns. The only other source of hardware caused xruns I know is when I keep the audio media on the same hdd as my ~. Those occasional xruns went away when I started keeping audio files on another hdd used for nothing else.
Old 05-17-2017, 04:16 AM   #1821
osxmidi

Quote:
What IME is pretty important is changing the priority of the soundcard/usb hub to a high value. That is regardless of using a rt patched kernel or not. On my desktop i7-2600k it's the only thing I really care about. The Intel pstate driver seems to work flawlessly shifting the cpu in and out of power saving mode without causing any xruns. The only other source of hardware caused xruns I know is when I keep the audio media on the same hdd as my ~. Those occasional xruns went away when I started keeping audio files on another hdd used for nothing else.
I came across a script that sets the irq priorities and stops some services and the performance ended up about the same or very similar as a real time kernel.

irq priorities

"rtc" - realtime clock

RTIRQ_NAME_LIST="rtc usb2 snd i8042"
RTIRQ_PRIO_HIGH=90
RTIRQ_PRIO_DECR=10
RTIRQ_PRIO_LOW=51

possible services to stop

network-manager (optional)
resolvconf
pulseaudio
apport
cups-browsed
grub-common
speech-dispatcher
whoopsie
Old 05-17-2017, 04:26 AM   #1822
Jack Winter

Quote:
Originally Posted by osxmidi View Post
I came across a script that sets the irq priorities and stops some services and the performance ended up about the same or very similar as a real time kernel.

irq priorities

"rtc" - realtime clock

RTIRQ_PRIO_HIGH=90
RTIRQ_PRIO_DECR=10
RTIRQ_PRIO_LOW=51

resolvconf
pulseaudio
apport
cups-browsed
grub-common
speech-dispatcher
whoopsie
I think a lot of this dates back to the last 20 years of running audio on linux, and most of it isn't really relevant anymore (ymmw).

Am pretty sure that if you check /proc/interrupts you'll find that the rtc and i8042 aren't even in use.

To recap, AFAIK, it's important to set the priority of the interrupt servicing the soundcard, then if you want really low latency install a rt kernel. Don't use audio media saved on the same harddisk as other stuff in use, this seems to be a non problem on ssd.

After that there might be other problems, like bt/wifi hardware/drivers, cpu governors, nvidia driver (when doing certain things), etc. But those are not general problem, more problems one might encounter on a specific system.
Old 05-17-2017, 05:15 AM   #1823
David Else

Quote:
To recap, AFAIK, it's important to set the priority of the interrupt servicing the soundcard
THIS is the main issue I want to get to the bottom of. This thread had become so large I can't find your original instructions how to do this I would like to write a guide on this for my website.

What is the most simple method to do this in a step by step manner (for the confused windows escapee)? How about:

Code:
cat /proc/asound/cards
 0 [HDMI           ]: HDA-Intel - HDA Intel HDMI
                      HDA Intel HDMI at 0xaa230000 irq 47
 1 [USB            ]: USB-Audio - Scarlett 6i6 USB
                      Focusrite Scarlett 6i6 USB at usb-0000:00:14.0-2, high speed
Tells me what sound cards I have, and shows the one I want Focusrite Scarlett 6i6

I can show all the interrupts:

Code:
cat /proc/interrupts
           CPU0       CPU1       CPU2       CPU3       
  0:         40          0          0          0  IR-IO-APIC   2-edge      timer
  3:          0          0          0          0  IR-IO-APIC   3-edge      nuvoton-cir
  8:          1          0          0          0  IR-IO-APIC   8-edge      rtc0
  9:          2          0          0          2  IR-IO-APIC   9-fasteoi   acpi
 18:          0          0          0          0  IR-IO-APIC  18-fasteoi   i801_smbus
 23:         13          7          7          6  IR-IO-APIC  23-fasteoi   ehci_hcd:usb1
 40:          0          0          0          0  DMAR-MSI   0-edge      dmar0
 41:          0          0          0          0  DMAR-MSI   1-edge      dmar1
 42:      14410       3610       9428       4738  IR-PCI-MSI 1572864-edge      ahci[0000:03:00.0]
 43:      65773      11099     116853      30739  IR-PCI-MSI 327680-edge      xhci_hcd
 44:         24         11        225         20  IR-PCI-MSI 409600-edge      enp0s25
 45:       6191       2714       5404       2291  IR-PCI-MSI 32768-edge      i915
 46:         14          0          0          0  IR-PCI-MSI 360448-edge      mei_me
 47:        350         79        581        284  IR-PCI-MSI 49152-edge      snd_hda_intel:card0
 48:       1004        618       2511        812  IR-PCI-MSI 1048576-edge      iwlwifi
NMI:         23         23         22         19   Non-maskable interrupts
LOC:      68210      66314      58408      57996   Local timer interrupts
SPU:          0          0          0          0   Spurious interrupts
PMI:         23         23         22         19   Performance monitoring interrupts
IWI:          0          0          1          0   IRQ work interrupts
RTR:          3          0          0          0   APIC ICR read retries
RES:      11196      10558       8464       6274   Rescheduling interrupts
CAL:      24867      23747      27494      23526   Function call interrupts
TLB:      23528      22095      25743      21905   TLB shootdowns
TRM:          0          0          0          0   Thermal event interrupts
THR:          0          0          0          0   Threshold APIC interrupts
DFR:          0          0          0          0   Deferred Error APIC interrupts
MCE:          0          0          0          0   Machine check exceptions
MCP:          3          3          3          3   Machine check polls
ERR:          0
MIS:          0
PIN:          0          0          0          0   Posted-interrupt notification event
PIW:          0          0          0          0   Posted-interrupt wakeup event
But nowhere does it say the magic words Focusrite Scarlett 6i6.

I got so far a while ago, but got lost when I tried to:

1. run a script at boot in Fedora, that was another rabbit hole I got lost in.

2. somehow find if it was allocated the exact same interuupt on boot if I used different USB ports or unplugged anything from them.
Old 05-17-2017, 01:28 PM   #1824
Jack Winter

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Else View Post
THIS is the main issue I want to get to the bottom of. This thread had become so large I can't find your original instructions how to do this I would like to write a guide on this for my website.
I'd agree that the thread has gotten too long.. Maybe we should start a new thread, on the other hand the port has progressed so fast that maybe we'll see it reach pre status soon, and then maybe we could get our own forum with threads on various topics. Or we could just start occupying more space in this forum keeping a few threads alive

Quote:
What is the most simple method to do this in a step by step manner (for the confused windows escapee)? How about:

Code:
cat /proc/asound/cards
 0 [HDMI           ]: HDA-Intel - HDA Intel HDMI
                      HDA Intel HDMI at 0xaa230000 irq 47
 1 [USB            ]: USB-Audio - Scarlett 6i6 USB
                      Focusrite Scarlett 6i6 USB at usb-0000:00:14.0-2, high speed
Tells me what sound cards I have, and shows the one I want Focusrite Scarlett 6i6
Unfortunately AFAIK there is no easy way. I don't have all that much experience with USB devices, but I can share what I know.

To directly answer the above example, the best way I know is to take the 00:14.0 from
Code:
cat /proc/asound/cards
and look it up with
Code:
lspci -v
where the entry for 00:14.0 will get you the irq used.

What is sad is that this might change on reboot...

For my laptop (which is where I use usb audio, I came up with this script (as I know that it's always connected to usb2):
Code:
#!/bin/bash
irqnum=`grep ehci_hcd:usb2 /proc/interrupts | cut -c2-3`
chrt -f -p 95 `pgrep irq/${irqnum}-ehci_hcd`
On my desktop as it's always the same, I just do:
Code:
chrt -f -p 95 `pgrep irq/18-snd_hdsp`
An alternative is the rtirq script, but I'm not that fond of it, as specifying usb will make it raise the priority of all the usb related irqs threads...
Old 05-17-2017, 07:12 PM   #1825
4duhwinnn

For 5.411, I'm using the 569 meg barebones Bodhi 3.1 linux,
(4.1 is the current release) just adding audio things,
and basics like archiver, preferred filemanager, text editor,
web browser and terminal.

Made a recording with U-he Hive, a hardware synth, and two instances
of rakarrack, about ten effects between them. No yellow flashing at all,
kernel is 14.04.1-Ubuntu SMP.

No media player is installed. Is there a chance those type of apps
are running background processes looking to add media to playlists,
update tags etc, and somehow are hooking their claws into existing
media in /home/users, for their frame of reference, and thus
altering system performance?

I never install players with all that fancy stuff, just
smplayer using jackd.

Sure is nice being able to drag & drop my .REAPER, .vst and .u-he folders,
from backups, and have all the prefs/themes, presets and reg data intact.
Cheers

Last edited by 4duhwinnn; 05-17-2017 at 07:19 PM.
Old 05-17-2017, 11:07 PM   #1826
brainwreck

Jack, you have some very informative posts on linux audio in this thread. And of course, there are good posts by others here on linux audio as well. Maybe some of us should start in on mining the thread to extract some of it and consolidate it.
Old 05-18-2017, 12:00 AM   #1827
osxmidi

It depends on how deep someone wants to go into interrupt priorities.

I havn't looked into it much at all, so I'm no expert.

I just installed some script that I came across that set my irq config/script file (/etc/default/rtirq in Ubuntu) to what's below and it also stopped some services at startup like pulseaudio and some other monitoring services and my latency (with a low latency kernel) ended up very similar to what I get from a real time kernel.

What services to stop and how much effect they have, I don't really know, and probably a bit of experimentation might be required for some systems.

I have picked up that interrupts can change on boot (due to APIC) and the irq config file can deal with that.

There is an irq config file /etc/sysconfig/rtirq in Fedora and /etc/default/rtirq in Ubuntu

On my system /etc/default/rtirq is set to

# "rtc" - realtime clock
# "ehci_hcd:usb2" - USB port 2
# "snd" - internal sound chip
# "i8042" - keyboard/mouse/touchpad controller
RTIRQ_PRIO_HIGH=90
RTIRQ_PRIO_DECR=10
RTIRQ_PRIO_LOW=51

----

resolvconf
pulseaudio
apport
cups-browsed
grub-common
speech-dispatcher
whoopsie

and it seems to have done something, because the yellow flashing disappeared after that and suddenly 10ms (256/48000hz) on my old Dell was stable as a rock using the stock Ubuntu (Studio) low latency kernel whereas before I was getting intermittent yellow flashing and audio crackling.

-------------------

https://www.mixxx.org/wiki/doku.php/..._audio_latency

Raise the IRQ priority of your sound card

IRQs (interrupt requests) allow devices to get the operating system kernel's attention. You can improve the audio performance of your computer by configuring your OS to give more attention to your sound card than other devices. This will not have any effect unless you have enabled realtime scheduling in your kernel as described above.

The easiest way to raise the IRQ priority of your sound card is by installing rtirq and setting it to run on boot. To set rtirq to run on boot on distributions using systemd (which is most distros), run systemctl enable rtirq as root. Check that rtirq set your IRQ priorities correctly by running rtirq status. The IRQ for your sound card will end in ehci_hcd for devices plugged into USB 2.0 ports and xhci_hcd for USB 3.0 ports. If it is not a USB sound card, look for “snd” in the last column. This should be above other IRQs listed by rtirq status. The configuration file for rtirq is located at /etc/sysconfig/rtirq in Fedora and /etc/default/rtirq in Ubuntu. If you use a USB sound card, you may want to put “usb” in front of “snd” in the RTIRQ_NAME_LIST in rtirq's configuration file (or remove “snd”) to give your USB sound card higher priority than your onboard sound card.

http://subversion.ffado.org/wiki/IrqPriorities

Automated priorities setting with rtirq

The fun thing about IRQ handlers is:

thanks to APIC, interrupt numbers can (and will change) between reboots
PIDs of top halves will change between reboots and on hardware hotplug events
USB bus numbers will change between reboots
(The USB port you found above will not change, though.)

That means there is no simple way to script those adjustments you've just made. rtirq to the rescue. It's a straightforward bash utility written by Rui Nuno Capela that employs some grep and awk magic to automate what you just did by hand.

Here's an example configuration (/etc/sysconfig/rtirq) that corresponds to the manual setting described earlier:

NOTE: Current low latency kernels enable per-device handlers (as opposed to per-interrupt as before). That means if two devices are sharing an interrupt (very common on notebooks), you can apply more fine-grained tweaks. rtirq has been updated to deal with this, so be sure to get the very latest version (scroll down a bit on that page). Still, you may encounter problems. Holler on the lists if you do.

# IRQ thread service names
# (space separated list, from higher to lower priority).
RTIRQ_NAME_LIST="rtc yenta ohci1394 ehci_hcd:usb"

# Highest priority.
RTIRQ_PRIO_HIGH=90

# Priority decrease step.
RTIRQ_PRIO_DECR=2

# Whether to reset all IRQ threads to SCHED_OTHER.
RTIRQ_RESET_ALL=0

# On kernel configurations that support it,
# which services should be NOT threaded
# (space separated list).
RTIRQ_NON_THREADED="rtc"

# Process names which will be forced to the
# highest realtime priority range (99-91)
# (space separated list, from highest to lower priority).
# RTIRQ_HIGH_LIST="timer"
And here is the result:

hoppetosse:~ # /etc/init.d/rtirq.sh start
Setting IRQ priorities: start [rtc] irq=8 pid=1128 prio=90: OK.
Setting IRQ priorities: start [yenta] irq=16 pid=1124 prio=88: OK.
Setting IRQ priorities: start [ohci1394] irq=16 pid=1240 prio=86: OK.
Setting IRQ priorities: start [ehci_hcd:usb] irq=19 pid=426 prio=84: OK.

Last edited by osxmidi; 05-18-2017 at 12:26 AM.
Old 05-18-2017, 12:25 AM   #1828
ivansc

Default SORRY if this is in the wrong place

Not sure where else to ask.
Does anyone have the RME Babyface (original) working successfully under Linux?
Old 05-18-2017, 12:38 AM   #1829
osxmidi

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivansc View Post
maybe http://wiki.linuxaudio.org/hw/rme_babyface
Old 05-18-2017, 03:06 AM   #1830
Jack Winter

Quote:
I have one for occasional testing and vacations, don't know if it's an original one though. It is a couple of years old.

Had to do nothing else than put it in class compliant mode and occasionally use the hardware controls to set pre amp gain.
Old 05-18-2017, 06:08 AM   #1831
biopsin

Quote:
could the answer be somewhere in this thread?
https://lists.columbia.edu/pipermail...er/000211.html
Old 05-18-2017, 10:41 AM   #1832
Jack Winter

Quote:
Originally Posted by brainwreck View Post
Jack, you have some very informative posts on linux audio in this thread. And of course, there are good posts by others here on linux audio as well. Maybe some of us should start in on mining the thread to extract some of it and consolidate it.
Thank you, I've been using reaper on linux for 7-8 years or so. The moment I realized I could run it in wine I installed linux and haven't really looked back. I like that I have a large say in how the system is configured, what runs or not, etc. That I have such a choice of WM/DEs is also great.

Over the years I've picked up a bit or two, so am happy to share it.

Have been meaning to update the cockos wiki, but have put that off for months now Maybe someday B)

But if someone would like to mine the thread and create some documentation I'm all for it. Would probably be helpful when updating the wiki too.. And I guess at some point the information would also be useful for the reaper documentation itself.
Old 05-19-2017, 03:10 AM   #1833
David Else

Jack, thanks for your great reply to my question! I will try it all out as soon as time permits.

Justin, v5.412 ALSA is now working!

It would be cool if Reaper could somehow pick-up your input and output devices names rather than the cryptic hw:1,0 and offer them in a drop down menu

I saw in the changelog for v5.411:

"linux: jack dynamic loading (if jack not installed, no problem!)"

This seems amazing, so it deals with setting real-time priority and increased max locked memory all out the box? No more messing about with the joining groups and editing /etc/security/limits.d/95-jack.conf?!

I don't know how to test if ALSA RT priority setting is working, or if I need to give permission in the OS first?
Old 05-19-2017, 03:26 AM   #1834
daverich

ok noticed a weird thing with the Pulseaudio in the v5.412 build.

If I put an audio file on track 1 and play it it plays fine,

if I then record enable another track the meters start showing the behaviour of the track that is playing (no matter what input I select). If I record whats going into those tracks it's vaguely like the audio playing but totally sci-fi borg sounding. Bit like the outputs are being fed into the inputs but samplerate mis-match/glitchy or something.

IGNORE ABOVE -

I think it was using my webcam mic for some reason as an input! - nuts. ANYWAY, JACK WORKS!!!!! I had to use cadence to set the input/output (obviously reaper could do with a device selection menu/buffer size etc) - but hot diggity this is great!

Last edited by daverich; 05-19-2017 at 03:36 AM.
Old 05-19-2017, 03:48 AM   #1835
daverich

ah well it worked for a bit then stopped working. Getting closer each release though

EDIT - and it's working again. OK this is probably more to do with my soundcard than reaper possibly. I've noticed the card does not stay 'live' if an app isn't using it, that might be why it's dropping and coming back which is something pulseaudio seems more than happy to deal with.

current settings are using the ALSA-Pulseaudio-Jack bridge in cadence and that works.

Last edited by daverich; 05-19-2017 at 03:54 AM.
Old 05-19-2017, 03:43 PM   #1836
marxmarv

Quote:
Originally Posted by daverich View Post
I've noticed the card does not stay 'live' if an app isn't using it
JACK (and pulseaudio, if not configured to shut down idle interfaces) should continuously output to a sink and input from a source, whether or not anything is connected.

Possibly related, JACK connections aren't saved when a source/sink goes away. An audio session manager will preserve the connections, analogous to a desktop session manager.

Hey Justin, any chance of REAPER integrating with the Non Session Manager so as not to have to wire up all our JACK effects racks anew every time we load a project? http://non.tuxfamily.org/wiki/Non%20Session%20Manager

And/or integrating DSSI/LV2 plugin support so as not to need the extra tooling to hook up?

Last edited by marxmarv; 05-19-2017 at 03:44 PM. Reason: add pulse
Old 05-19-2017, 08:41 PM   #1837
Finnish

Quote:
Originally Posted by marxmarv View Post
JACK (and pulseaudio, if not configured to shut down idle interfaces) should continuously output to a sink and input from a source, whether or not anything is connected.

Possibly related, JACK connections aren't saved when a source/sink goes away. An audio session manager will preserve the connections, analogous to a desktop session manager.

Hey Justin, any chance of REAPER integrating with the Non Session Manager so as not to have to wire up all our JACK effects racks anew every time we load a project? http://non.tuxfamily.org/wiki/Non%20Session%20Manager

And/or integrating DSSI/LV2 plugin support so as not to need the extra tooling to hook up?
LV2 plugin support!!! 👍👍👍
Old 05-20-2017, 05:33 AM   #1838
4duhwinnn

Using 5.412 in Mint 18, I tried the Carla rack vst
that loads single LV2's, and it worked well,
I loaded 4 racks, 2 with zynaddsubfx synths, and two more
with rkr and zyn effect plugins, and they behaved fine.
I could dock, close, reopen, and switch between the
various gui options, and the synth interface worked normally.
And sounded typically wonderful.
Cheers
Old 05-20-2017, 05:52 AM   #1839
4duhwinnn

When I move the mouse down quickly in a menu,
it closes, as if I ran the pointer out of the frame.
But I measured to make sure, and it happens well before
bottoming out. And having a boundary on the bottom
of menus frames would be a welcome feature when menus
are so rich and plentiful.

Also, where lists of choices appear, the text seems
scrunched up against the left side of the related interface,
where a few pixels for spacing would look more natural.
I installed an nvidia video card, so if nobody else notices
those issues, it's probably local to my setup.
Cheers
Old 05-20-2017, 07:13 AM   #1840
piratethedog

Tooltips should not be resizable, in tiling WMs (like awesome) it's a major problem.
Closed Thread