Old 10-12-2017, 12:59 PM   #41
serr
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digger 66 View Post
Just looking to get some ideas together right now so I don't really need to break the bank .
I would be happy right now just monitoring it through the computer if that's even possible....
Very good info ^^^
Thank you !
There's no reason not to jump in and get started. In the long and short of things, you don't need a full spectrum system to make a decent mix. There's a lot of "meat & potatoes" mixing elements that should come across in just the vocal range midrange band. Switching between studio monitors and shitty speakers is even something done in the studio for quick balance perspective to remove the 'ear candy' factor.

You asked "why" so I answered with the above. You don't need audiophile/studio perfection to mix. It obviously helps to have a full spectrum system though and if music listening and creation is important to you this should be an eventual goal just because.

If you are on a budget, look to pawn shops and other used outlets for deals on actual speakers. Don't waste any money on the scammy stuff like "sound bars". Wait for deals to come along. And stay the heck out of places like Worst Purchase! FYI, "computer speakers" is a misnomer. Computer based audio systems or home theater systems don't use any special "computer" speaker. Speakers are speakers. They range from excellent to awful. Some have amps built in (powered), some don't (passive). Scammers make up terms like "computer speaker" to trick you into buying garbage by making you think you needed something different to be compatible.

Spend some moments dialing in what you have right now too. Any obnoxious ringing going on in the room itself? Start with that. Are the speakers level and making an equilateral triangle with your head at the listening position? Leveled with a level so they're firing in the same plane? Played with the distance from the back wall and corners (while keeping that equilateral triangle relationship)?
Mac Pro 8x3.33GHz i7, 16GB, 256GB SSD(OS, apps), 3x2TB 7200 HD(data); MacBook Pro 2.8GHz, 6GB, 128GB SSD HD(OS, apps), 750GB 7200 HD(data); 2xTrue Precision 8; Apogee AD-16; 2xMOTU 828mk3, Evolution UC-33e; Faderport; WiRanger, iPad & the analog mixer has retired
serr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2017, 01:56 PM   #42
Digger 66

Quote:
Originally Posted by serr View Post
If you are on a budget, look to pawn shops and other used outlets for deals on actual speakers.
Not really "on a budget" I just don't want to "over-buy" .
Like buy a bazillion dollar setup just to get my ideas recorded .
Any recommendations ?
Digger 66 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2017, 03:45 AM   #43
g8torcliff

Since you are new to the action someone should warn you about GAS.

Gear Acquisition Syndrome

Sort of what you already alluded to.

"Not really "on a budget" I just don't want to "over-buy" .
Like buy a bazillion dollar setup just to get my ideas recorded.

Its an easy thing to fall into but, so far you've been given some pretty solid advice.

Cliff
g8torcliff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2017, 04:37 AM   #44
Digger 66

Quote:
Originally Posted by g8torcliff View Post
Since you are new to the action someone should warn you about GAS.

Gear Acquisition Syndrome

Sort of what you already alluded to.

"Not really "on a budget" I just don't want to "over-buy" .
Like buy a bazillion dollar setup just to get my ideas recorded.

Its an easy thing to fall into but, so far you've been given some pretty solid advice.

Cliff
Haha ^^
Thanks . I'm no stranger to ?AS (insert favorite noun ) acquisition syndrome .
4 wheelers , sleds , hot-rod ....

Just to be sure : it will be possible for me to use my current computer speakers for a while until I get enough beaver pelts together for some real deal monitors ?
I'm picking up my Scarlett tomorrow morning .
Old 10-13-2017, 04:53 AM   #45
Goldreap

"Your current computer speakers"...? Are they powered speakers separate from your computer and plugged into a line out on your computer? If so, yes just plug them into your Scarlet line outs..you'll prob need an adaptor..stereo mini jack socket to L and R 1/4" jacks or something.
Goldreap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2017, 07:18 AM   #46
g8torcliff

Before I bought a set of Rokits I did this:

plugged the speaker out on the PC to a Tape In on an old stereo receiver I had sitting in my spare room. Used a 1/8 jack connected to an rca y connector. So, basically, just an additional input on an old stereo which already had Technic and Sansui old school speakers. Just flipped the stereo receiver to "tape monitor" on and .... sound.

I still use the setup after mixing down on my Rokits.

Just starting out there's lots of ways to get some descent sound....you'll always want more.

cliff
g8torcliff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2017, 07:59 AM   #47
Digger 66

Old 10-14-2017, 08:13 AM   #48
Goldreap

Well done!
Goldreap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2017, 09:40 AM   #49
Stella645

Went out for interface, came back with monitors too??

I think you'll like the JBLs
Stella645 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2017, 09:48 AM   #50
Digger 66

Thank you both .
This is friggin' AWESOME ! ! ! !