Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > MIDI Hardware, Control Surfaces, and OSC

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-24-2023, 10:18 AM   #3161
helgoboss
Human being with feelings
 
helgoboss's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Germany
Posts: 1,603
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tompad View Post
Hi all Realearn users!

I have managed to show selected track sends on my X-Touch
and now I am into make only tracks with BUS in their names
show up. Is this possible?

Regards
Thomas
Show up where? You mean cycling through the list of tracks and thereby skipping any track whose name doesn't contain "BUS"?
helgoboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2023, 12:30 PM   #3162
tompad
Human being with feelings
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Fjugesta, Sweden
Posts: 749
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by helgoboss View Post
Show up where? You mean cycling through the list of tracks and thereby skipping any track whose name doesn't contain "BUS"?
Yes, I want only the tracks containing "BUS" show up in X-Touch displays and control them with faders and track buttons. Is this possible?
__________________
ToDoList Obliques MusicMath Donation Some of mine and my friends music projects on Spotify
tompad is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2023, 01:43 PM   #3163
helgoboss
Human being with feelings
 
helgoboss's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Germany
Posts: 1,603
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tompad View Post
Yes, I want only the tracks containing "BUS" show up in X-Touch displays and control them with faders and track buttons. Is this possible?
Hmmm, I take it that it should be "dynamic" in the sense that you add a new track named "BUS something" and then that magically appears as well? Plus, you probably have more than 8 bus tracks, so you need an ability to scroll (if not, it would be very simple)?

If so, the most clean way to achieve this would probably be this:

1. (Temporarily) hide all tracks that don't contain "BUS", either in MCP or TCP (can be easily done with ReaLearn via target "Track: Show/hide" and track "All named" using a wildcard in the name, e.g. "BUS*" ... ah no, this would match the BUS tracks, not the remaining ones, well you could always use a ReaScript)
2. Make sure you use the MCP or TCP selectors for all track targets that you map to the channel strips. Or if you use target "Project: Browse tracks", use the TCP or MCP scope. This makes sure that only visible tracks are considered.
3. When you are finished with this mode, show the other tracks again. (unless you always want to work in this mode, then you can of course just leave it like that)
helgoboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2023, 03:03 PM   #3164
Sound asleep
Human being with feelings
 
Sound asleep's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Montreal, Canada
Posts: 8,537
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by helgoboss View Post
If you use track "Named", only the first track with that name will get armed and others will be unarmed. If you use track "All named", all tracks with that name will match. However, they will not be treated as a group in terms of exclusivity. I'm actually not sure what happens then, probably a conflict. This is indeed something I could improve. I think it would make sense to treat them as a group (arm all of them and disarm the rest). Ah, turns out I made an FR already! https://github.com/helgoboss/realearn/issues/739

Concerning the weird thing: If you name multiple tracks the same, you could run in the issue I described in above paragraph. If not, be sure to use Exclusive "Within project (on only)". "Within project" (without "on only") is the wrong option for you as it leads to the behavior you describe.
Awesome, thanks! I discovered the issue. I was using v. 2.10, or something like that, and we're at 2.14 I think or something similar now. Which apparently came with a massive list of changes lol. Really impressive. And lo and behold the " within project (on only)" option was there, whereas I only had "within project" before. Sorry, I should keep that up to date before posting here.

Is there a way I can get automatic updates or notifications strictly for realearn?
__________________
Slava Ukraini
Sound asleep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2023, 06:36 PM   #3165
Vladistone
Human being with feelings
 
Join Date: Jul 2022
Posts: 49
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vladistone View Post
Helloy everybody!
I organized matrix control of "Send BUSs" (0; 1; 2; 3; 4; 5; 6) for external MCU-controller (SSL Nucleus2) with bank rotation due to one controller button only. It was reach by realearn "encrement button" + looping values p(4 ) by "Wrap"- checkout. Also I got displaying the rows-state of the sends on the controller monitor thanks to "LCD/assignment" feedbacking. For exsample:
- SEND #1 of rows MCP is loocks as "S1" and so on... thanks to setting Glue-option in cell "textual feedbacks:" Text expresstion as.

But some times, I lack additional information:
- in which of the banks of the MCP track group do I being control?
Although this is implemented in the default MCU/DAW setting. but I'm not satisfied with the result, because it have to pressing the "bank left" adn/or "bank right" buttons again for controller position display. the (only this moment the "LCD/assignment" transitions from position of SEND "S{{target.text_value}}" to BANK Number "{{target.text_value}}".
An idea arose - with the help of timing of alternate switch of "LCD/assignment" feedbacking values between the Send-MODE and the current "MCP Bank".

Sorry for my non-native English!
I saw somewere in tutorial that it is possible for to time-manipulation for turn-OFF/ON of any function/transaction or mappings, but it is not in the mapping settings for LCD / assignment.
Any ideas are welcome!..
BUMP#2
Vladistone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2023, 01:24 AM   #3166
helgoboss
Human being with feelings
 
helgoboss's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Germany
Posts: 1,603
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vladistone View Post
BUMP#2
I replied already a few posts before.
helgoboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2023, 03:01 AM   #3167
GeckoLikesMartini
Human being with feelings
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Posts: 106
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by helgoboss View Post
It depends on what you mean by "Selected FX". REAPER itself doesn't really have the concept of a "selected FX", other than "focused". So I think you want what Puck is suggesting: Instance FX. Each ReaLearn instance allows you to memorize a certain FX. Please read in the user guide about the "FX" target to know how to set the instance FX.
Hi helgoboss, thank you for the feedback. Maybe I don't understand the terminology... ;-/.
I use the ReaperControl OSC template to select plugins in a selected track and tweak the parameters.
The plugin itself doesn't need to be in "focus" (the GUI doesn't show up) but the plugin parameters show up in the OSC template - hence I thought that means "selected" but not in focus ?
Now I would like to combine that with a Midi Fighter Twister. For this controller I try to make a Realearn template that controls the same parameters as selected in the ReaperControl OSC template.

That works almost but only when the plugin GUI shows up. As soon as I close or switch the plugin window, the parameters disappear from the MFT.

But as suggested by you and Puck I'll look into the Instance FX.

Thanks an regards, mj
GeckoLikesMartini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2023, 03:58 AM   #3168
helgoboss
Human being with feelings
 
helgoboss's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Germany
Posts: 1,603
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeckoLikesMartini View Post
Hi helgoboss, thank you for the feedback. Maybe I don't understand the terminology... ;-/.
I use the ReaperControl OSC template to select plugins in a selected track and tweak the parameters.
The plugin itself doesn't need to be in "focus" (the GUI doesn't show up) but the plugin parameters show up in the OSC template - hence I thought that means "selected" but not in focus ?
Now I would like to combine that with a Midi Fighter Twister. For this controller I try to make a Realearn template that controls the same parameters as selected in the ReaperControl OSC template.

That works almost but only when the plugin GUI shows up. As soon as I close or switch the plugin window, the parameters disappear from the MFT.

But as suggested by you and Puck I'll look into the Instance FX.

Thanks an regards, mj
Ah, so you use REAPER's built-in OSC stuff to select a plug-in and want ReaLearn to take care of the Midi Fighter Twister to control that plug-in. I think that's not possible. ReaLearn doesn't know anything about REAPER's built-in OSC state. It's not possible to integrate with it. The "Instance FX" strategy can only work if you use ReaLearn itself to "select" the FX of choice (as instance FX). Which means you would need to replace your existing OSC stuff with ReaLearn's OSC stuff (in another instance) ... depending on how elaborate your OSC template is, that can be quite a task.
helgoboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2023, 04:11 AM   #3169
GeckoLikesMartini
Human being with feelings
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Posts: 106
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by helgoboss View Post
Ah, so you use REAPER's built-in OSC stuff to select a plug-in and want ReaLearn to take care of the Midi Fighter Twister to control that plug-in.
exactly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by helgoboss View Post
) ... depending on how elaborate your OSC template is, that can be quite a task.
Yup! ;-)
GeckoLikesMartini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2023, 04:27 AM   #3170
Vladistone
Human being with feelings
 
Join Date: Jul 2022
Posts: 49
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by helgoboss View Post
I replied already a few posts before.
sorry for delaying! I missed it...
Quote:
Originally Posted by helgoboss View Post
Not sure if I understand correctly. Do you want to show both the track bank number and the current send bus, both on the small assignment LCD display? So you want it to show for example 5 seconds the send bus number and 5 seconds the bank number? If yes, I have to disappoint you. There's currently no solution to this. One display can only be connected to one target at a time. If you connect it to multiple targets, there's a conflict, which means it's pretty much random which of the two things you will see on the display. Create an FR if you want. I'll have to think about how to implement such a thing.
Yes I trying to see the both parameters on LCD display without to press any keys for it.
perhaps, i expect the ideas of view of dallying switch of feedback between two parameters

The essence of my initial request was exactly that:
- how exactly to generate the LCD-assignment display with a time delay when switching between the current bank of tracks and MODE keys...
that's all I tried to express in my last query.

Last edited by Vladistone; 01-25-2023 at 05:10 AM.
Vladistone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2023, 04:31 AM   #3171
Puck
Human being with feelings
 
Puck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2022
Location: Almost Canada
Posts: 467
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeckoLikesMartini View Post
exactly.



Yup! ;-)
As Helgoboss was getting at, you would just need to map realearn to your existing fx selection method and try and make it behave the same. Itís been a while since I looked at the ReaperOSC template but if you select the plugins by looking at the selected track, then I imagine it could be a pretty painless process to add Realearn and get the right fx selected for your MF Twister. In TouchOSC (just in case you arenít aware) you can have up to five independent OSC connections. You may need to utililize that to get Realearn working with osc at the same time as using reapers stock osc.
Puck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2023, 05:29 AM   #3172
helgoboss
Human being with feelings
 
helgoboss's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Germany
Posts: 1,603
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vladistone View Post
sorry for delaying! I missed it...

Yes I trying to see the both parameters on LCD display without to press any keys for it.
perhaps, i expect the ideas of view of dallying switch of feedback between two parameters

The essence of my initial request was exactly that:
- how exactly to generate the LCD-assignment display with a time delay when switching between the current bank of tracks and MODE keys...
that's all I tried to express in my last query.
I understand. It's not possible to delay feedback. Or wait ... it is, I'm surprised myself! I think it can work with conditional activation. Let's say you want to show 2 seconds text A and then 2 seconds text B, alternating.

You can achieve that by using conditional activation of mapping A and mapping B. You bind their active state to a ReaLearn parameter, e.g. Parameter 1, so that only one of them is active at a time. I would use bank-based conditional activation for that purpose, that way you can switch even between 3 or more different texts.

The 2nd step is simple: Use REAPER parameter modulation on parameter 1. Or time-based control transformation, if you want to keep everything within ReaLearn.
helgoboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2023, 05:51 AM   #3173
Vladistone
Human being with feelings
 
Join Date: Jul 2022
Posts: 49
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by helgoboss View Post
I understand. It's not possible to delay feedback. Or wait ... it is, I'm surprised myself! I think it can work with conditional activation. Let's say you want to show 2 seconds text A and then 2 seconds text B, alternating.

You can achieve that by using conditional activation of mapping A and mapping B. You bind their active state to a ReaLearn parameter, e.g. Parameter 1, so that only one of them is active at a time. I would use bank-based conditional activation for that purpose, that way you can switch even between 3 or more different texts.

The 2nd step is simple: Use REAPER parameter modulation on parameter 1. Or time-based control transformation, if you want to keep everything within ReaLearn.
Thanks! it good idea!
I have to understand is and try to make it for my instalation...
the first of all - i never deal with the modulation parameter >>> nesessary to learn it
Vladistone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2023, 06:17 AM   #3174
Vladistone
Human being with feelings
 
Join Date: Jul 2022
Posts: 49
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by helgoboss View Post
You can achieve that by using conditional activation of mapping A and mapping B. You bind their active state to a ReaLearn parameter, e.g. Parameter 1, so that only one of them is active at a time. I would use bank-based conditional activation for that purpose, that way you can switch even between 3 or more different texts.

The 2nd step is simple: Use REAPER parameter modulation on parameter 1. Or time-based control transformation, if you want to keep everything within ReaLearn.
I restored the logic of my parameters and found that your recommendations regarding bank selection have already been implemented by me by collected into two mapping groupe
- LCD by switched (see the comparison screen, where parameter A = 0 it is the MODE-select for SEND BUS = 0 when none of the SEND BUS banks is selected (like me and mentioned before)! and
- LCD MODE 1 "SEND" for show the numeric of row of send (the pic.2)
How to interact with time modulation to switch this state when the bank changes in the SEND BUS sequence from ZERO to 1;2;3;4;5;6 - I don't understand...
Please, give me an idea for the sequence of my actions to get the result?
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg LCD assigment by bank selection.jpeg (90.5 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpeg pic 2.jpeg (87.9 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpeg 1 LCD assigment back mapping .jpeg (177.9 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpeg 2 LCD assigment MODE 1 %22send%22.jpeg (194.6 KB, 4 views)

Last edited by Vladistone; 01-25-2023 at 06:47 AM.
Vladistone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2023, 06:44 AM   #3175
helgoboss
Human being with feelings
 
helgoboss's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Germany
Posts: 1,603
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vladistone View Post
I restored the logic of my parameters and found that your recommendations regarding bank selection have already been implemented by me by collected into two mapping groupe
- LCD by switched (see the comparison screen, where parameter A = 0 it is the MODE-select for SEND BUS = 0 when none of the SEND BUS banks is selected (like me and mentioned before)! and
- LCD MODE 1 "SEND" for show the send number of rows
here's how to interact with time modulation to switch this state when the bank changes in the SEND BUS sequence from ZERO to 1;2;3;4;5;6 - I don't understand...
Please, give me an idea for the sequence of my actions to get the result?
Start small to understand what I mean, best with a clean project and empty ReaLearn instance.

1. Name main compartment parameter 1 "LCD page" and set its value count to 2 (in the menu)
2. Create mapping A which sends a textual feedback "A" and set its activation condition to "When bank active", "LCD page" = 0.
3. Add another mapping B in the same style but choose LCD page = 1.
4. Modulate that parameter.

If you already use conditional activation for the mapping for another purpose (maybe the case in your big setup), you can use conditional activation on the group, too. Then both group condition ane condition of each mapping is combined.
helgoboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2023, 06:59 AM   #3176
Vladistone
Human being with feelings
 
Join Date: Jul 2022
Posts: 49
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by helgoboss View Post
Start small to understand what I mean, best with a clean project and empty ReaLearn instance.

1. Name main compartment parameter 1 "LCD page" and set its value count to 2 (in the menu)
2. Create mapping A which sends a textual feedback "A" and set its activation condition to "When bank active", "LCD page" = 0.
3. Add another mapping B in the same style but choose LCD page = 1.
4. Modulate that parameter.

If you already use conditional activation for the mapping for another purpose (maybe the case in your big setup), you can use conditional activation on the group, too. Then both group condition ane condition of each mapping is combined.
i Did it by step from my setup:
1. - see printscreen #3 above (1 LCD assigmen for "view Bank#")
2. - printscreen #4 (2 LCD assigmen for MODE 1 "SEND")
3. - so on...
4 - I cant to understand, what does it mean?..
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg parameter info.jpeg (35.0 KB, 3 views)

Last edited by Vladistone; 01-25-2023 at 07:31 AM.
Vladistone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2023, 07:18 AM   #3177
helgoboss
Human being with feelings
 
helgoboss's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Germany
Posts: 1,603
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vladistone View Post
i Did it by step from my setup:
1. - see printscreen #3 above (1 LCD assigmen for "view Bank#")
2. - printscreen #4 (2 LCD assigmen for MODE 1 "SEND")
3. - I cant to understand, what does it mean?..
No, you need to start clean, don't use your existing setup. All I can give you is the minimal working example and some hints. Looking into a complex existing setup is much work, I can't offer that. But once you understand the minimal example, integrating it into your existing setup should be much easier.
helgoboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2023, 07:23 AM   #3178
Vladistone
Human being with feelings
 
Join Date: Jul 2022
Posts: 49
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by helgoboss View Post
No, you need to start clean, don't use your existing setup. All I can give you is the minimal working example and some hints. Looking into a complex existing setup is much work, I can't offer that. But once you understand the minimal example, integrating it into your existing setup should be much easier.
well, thank you very match, I will try to do it

the only thing that I did not realize after the conversation is
- how the timing management function is formednt?
anothe words:
- how the "time-based control transformation" is formednt?

Last edited by Vladistone; 01-25-2023 at 07:48 AM.
Vladistone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2023, 12:23 PM   #3179
tompad
Human being with feelings
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Fjugesta, Sweden
Posts: 749
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by helgoboss View Post
Hmmm, I take it that it should be "dynamic" in the sense that you add a new track named "BUS something" and then that magically appears as well? Plus, you probably have more than 8 bus tracks, so you need an ability to scroll (if not, it would be very simple)?
For a starter I could live with 8 bus tracks :-)

Quote:

If so, the most clean way to achieve this would probably be this:

1. (Temporarily) hide all tracks that don't contain "BUS", either in MCP or TCP (can be easily done with ReaLearn via target "Track: Show/hide" and track "All named" using a wildcard in the name, e.g. "BUS*" ... ah no, this would match the BUS tracks, not the remaining ones, well you could always use a ReaScript)
I tried with "Track: Show/hide" and maybe I could find a solution with that.
BUT a little drawback with that is that my X-Touch still show all tracks in
the displays even then "Track: Show/hide" hides some tracks.

I have also tried Script: Lokasenna_Show only specified tracks - BUS.lua,
the same there, if I run script, only BUS tracks is visible in mixer but
on X-Touch all the tracks are visible.
__________________
ToDoList Obliques MusicMath Donation Some of mine and my friends music projects on Spotify
tompad is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2023, 07:04 PM   #3180
helgoboss
Human being with feelings
 
helgoboss's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Germany
Posts: 1,603
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tompad View Post
For a starter I could live with 8 bus tracks :-)



I tried with "Track: Show/hide" and maybe I could find a solution with that.
BUT a little drawback with that is that my X-Touch still show all tracks in
the displays even then "Track: Show/hide" hides some tracks.

I have also tried Script: Lokasenna_Show only specified tracks - BUS.lua,
the same there, if I run script, only BUS tracks is visible in mixer but
on X-Touch all the tracks are visible.
That's exactly the reason why you need to modify the existing mappings that refer to tracks to use "Dynamic (MCP)" (or "Selected in MCP" if you do track banking by track selection). Do you use "DAW control" preset? This one doesn't respect track visibility in its current version. Then it's best to make the change in the Lua code of the preset, otherwise you will have to change a lot of mappings by hand. It's here: https://github.com/helgoboss/realear...aw-control.lua
helgoboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2023, 10:01 PM   #3181
Vladistone
Human being with feelings
 
Join Date: Jul 2022
Posts: 49
Default Organizing the periodical or time cycle of undepended LCD-assigment feedbacks

I got periodical alternate the blinked feedback information on the LCD assignment MCU display. If anyone is interested in my experience - read below:
the result video here:
https://app.animaker.com/animo/DAewwqESWLbDi43w/
According to instruction from helgoboss:
Quote:
Originally Posted by helgoboss View Post
1. Name main compartment parameter 1 "LCD page" and set its value count to 2 (in the menu)
2. Create mapping A which sends a textual feedback "A" and set its activation condition to "When bank active", "LCD page" = 0.
3. Add another mapping B in the same style but choose LCD page = 1.
these settings are shown in fig. "LCD assignment"
where conditional activation is set depending on bank select point "0" or "1" received from main compartment parameter #5 (see pic."LCD page parameter").
text values are in two-digit numeric format for the 7-segment display for BANK. And for the SEND rows, the abbreviation "S" has been added.

The most difficult thing for me was to create the function item #4
Quote:
Originally Posted by helgoboss View Post
4. Modulate that parameter.
The modulate blinking due to using realearn's "TIMER"-function in the source mappings setup window (see pic. "LCD page modulation").
so:
1. There are two options for designing blinking modulation (pic. "LCD page modulation"):
1.1 with the same half-cycles for displaying information on the LCD assignment between "BANK#" and "SEND BUS row#" (it`s the easiest option for generating and understanding the blinking mechanism)
- see the left window of the mapping...
1.2 with uneven flashing, by use the timeout setting. For this is nessesary to add the second mapping, (see the right window, named "LCD page time release")

Note: The timer of blinking from the "LCD time modulation" map is starts after pressing the "SEND-mode" button (or another, if you wish), which additionally informs the owner that the DAW controller is in a certain extra mode (it's better than nothing! when there is no multi-color display option to show such controller states ), and doesn't get annoying with dull flickering when in the main fader-mix mode.

Thus, thanks to this technique, You can use the flawed 7-segment "LCD-assignment" display to shows a much more amount of information with a cyclic repetition!
The number of layers isn"t limited to only two values, as in my first video. And it can be used for multivariate matrix inference... limited only by your imagination.
And there is no need to resort to other information fields on the DAW screen or unnecessary manipulations with your main DAW controller.

I hope this will help someone expand the range of use of realearn FX ?!
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg LCD page parameter.jpeg (34.4 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpeg LCD assignment.jpeg (145.5 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpeg LCD page modulation.jpeg (186.4 KB, 4 views)

Last edited by Vladistone; 01-26-2023 at 01:35 AM.
Vladistone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2023, 12:22 AM   #3182
tompad
Human being with feelings
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Fjugesta, Sweden
Posts: 749
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by helgoboss View Post
That's exactly the reason why you need to modify the existing mappings that refer to tracks to use "Dynamic (MCP)" (or "Selected in MCP" if you do track banking by track selection). Do you use "DAW control" preset? This one doesn't respect track visibility in its current version. Then it's best to make the change in the Lua code of the preset, otherwise you will have to change a lot of mappings by hand. It's here: https://github.com/helgoboss/realear...aw-control.lua
Aha! Now I got it! :-)

I am using a "DAW control", slightly modofied I think...

I will take another look on this.

Thanks Benjamin!
__________________
ToDoList Obliques MusicMath Donation Some of mine and my friends music projects on Spotify
tompad is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2023, 07:19 AM   #3183
GeckoLikesMartini
Human being with feelings
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Posts: 106
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puck View Post
As Helgoboss was getting at, you would just need to map realearn to your existing fx selection method and try and make it behave the same. Itís been a while since I looked at the ReaperOSC template but if you select the plugins by looking at the selected track, then I imagine it could be a pretty painless process to add Realearn and get the right fx selected for your MF Twister. In TouchOSC (just in case you arenít aware) you can have up to five independent OSC connections. You may need to utililize that to get Realearn working with osc at the same time as using reapers stock osc.
Hi Puck, thanks. And yes, that's what I'm trying to do but selecting or focusing plugins with ReaperOSC or actions seems buggy or at least inconsistent to me. For some plugins (Valhalla Supermassive, TAL Chorus etc.) I even need to click into the plugin gui just to make it focused...

Regards, mj
GeckoLikesMartini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2023, 05:43 PM   #3184
Tycho
Human being with feelings
 
Tycho's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: San Francisco
Posts: 421
Default

Is it not possible to target actions within the media explorer? Every time I try to select one under the invoke reaper action target it doesn't work.
Tycho is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2023, 12:03 AM   #3185
Trekopep
Human being with feelings
 
Join Date: Oct 2022
Posts: 4
Default

Is there a good way to use two buttons with polyphonic aftertouch as a pressure-sensitive FX Parameter controller? i.e. Press down harder on the button to increase the value faster.

I have something kind of working by using Incremental button mode, setting the Speed Min/Max, and using "Fire after timeout, keep firing (turbo)". The issue is that the mapping retriggers whenever the aftertouch value changes, which means the value changes faster when changing the amount of pressure.

I tried having a "Tick" mapping that goes based off of the REAPER Timer, and setting the parameter mapping active "When target value met", but that also doesn't work since the aftertouch needs to be changing in value when the tick is enabled. I also considered using a Control transformation, but since there's no "project" time variable, I can't see that working either. (If I'm understanding correctly, there wouldn't be a way to get rel_time to do what I want?)

Is there a way to do this that I'm missing, or should I give up on it? Honestly, having a non-dynamic adjustment just using a button would be fine, I just thought this sounded fun.


(Side note: thanks so much for ReaLearn! I've been trying to get back into music-making for a long time, and this is the most I've messed with Reaper in a LONG time)

(Side note x2: possible bug, after I leave the Value sequence text field, the numbers disappear and only the commas remain visible. The numbers still function properly, but not being able to see them makes using it difficult)
Trekopep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2023, 12:34 AM   #3186
tompad
Human being with feelings
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Fjugesta, Sweden
Posts: 749
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by helgoboss View Post
That's exactly the reason why you need to modify the existing mappings that refer to tracks to use "Dynamic (MCP)" (or "Selected in MCP" if you do track banking by track selection).
I read this part "(or "Selected in MCP" if you do track banking by track selection)" a few times
and realized that this maybe is connected to another question that I have:

Am I correct when saying that I can make my X-Touch "follow" the selected track in MCP?
Ex. I see track 1 to 8 on X-Touch and when selecting track 14 in MCP the X-Touch jumps and show track 14?

If so - does it even work the other way around?
__________________
ToDoList Obliques MusicMath Donation Some of mine and my friends music projects on Spotify
tompad is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2023, 07:54 AM   #3187
WelderOriginal
Human being with feelings
 
Join Date: Jan 2023
Posts: 10
Default

Is ReaLearn able to control the color of RGB backlit pads on the AKAI APC KEY 25 ? Could not find any docs to look up and figure that out ..
WelderOriginal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2023, 08:04 AM   #3188
mschnell
Human being with feelings
 
mschnell's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Krefeld, Germany
Posts: 12,497
Default

ReaLern can control just about anything.
But supposedly you need to do the configuration for a dedicated device using the device's documentation.

Michael
mschnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2023, 11:27 AM   #3189
indigomirage
Human being with feelings
 
Join Date: Oct 2020
Posts: 16
Default

Hi there -

I'm making great headway into mapping ReaLearn. Generally, for DAW control, I use my piano KB midi controller. I've mapped the major transport functions and other to various notes (C#3 = Play... etc...).

One area where I'm stumped is in how to use the Pitch Wheel as either a scrub or as a bank left/right toggle. I can't seem to figure out how to make it recognize a push to the right should be the same as a button to fire Bank increment and a push to the left as a button to fire Bank decrement (or scrub or whatever).

Really at a loss. If anyone has had success (I saw some threads wrt using Pitch Wheel for scrubbing, but not many solutions), I'd be very grateful!

Cheers!
indigomirage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2023, 08:49 PM   #3190
Trekopep
Human being with feelings
 
Join Date: Oct 2022
Posts: 4
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by WelderOriginal View Post
Is ReaLearn able to control the color of RGB backlit pads on the AKAI APC KEY 25 ? Could not find any docs to look up and figure that out ..
I wasn't able to find anything about the AKAI APC KEY 25 specifically, but for some controllers (like my Novation Launchpad X) the pad colors are set by sending a midi velocity between 0-1. So for example, each of my pads has 127 possible color choices, so for the Numeric feedback I can put a formula of x=80/127 to choose the 80th color.

Quote:
Originally Posted by indigomirage View Post
Hi there -

I'm making great headway into mapping ReaLearn. Generally, for DAW control, I use my piano KB midi controller. I've mapped the major transport functions and other to various notes (C#3 = Play... etc...).

One area where I'm stumped is in how to use the Pitch Wheel as either a scrub or as a bank left/right toggle. I can't seem to figure out how to make it recognize a push to the right should be the same as a button to fire Bank increment and a push to the left as a button to fire Bank decrement (or scrub or whatever).

Really at a loss. If anyone has had success (I saw some threads wrt using Pitch Wheel for scrubbing, but not many solutions), I'd be very grateful!

Cheers!
Huh, this actually seems like a similar question to the one I asked. The best solution I can think of is having the MIDI pitch wheel (or virtual Multi for it) as the source, then in the Glue section, setting Min and Max to the maximum possible values and setting Mode to Incremental button, optionally using "Fire after timeout, keep firing (turbo)" if you want to be able to hold the pitch wheel to keep scrubbing. Then make another mapping for the minimum pitch wheel values.

Needing to keep the pitch wheel at the max/min to scrub rather than having some threshold probably isn't ideal, but like with my question, if there's a range, the mapping will trigger every time the pitch wheel changes within that range, so it'll fire much more than you want it to.
Trekopep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2023, 09:02 PM   #3191
hulkss
Human being with feelings
 
Join Date: Jan 2022
Posts: 4
Default Send Feedback Now Button

Sometimes when I start REAPER my TouchOSC control pad does not get a feedback update. If I quit REAPER and restart I do get an update. Is there a process in Windows that needs to be running for the startup feedback to happen?

A possible solution would be to setup a button on my TouchOSC control pad to target the ReaLearn menu command "send feedback now". Is that possible some how?
hulkss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 04:27 AM   #3192
helgoboss
Human being with feelings
 
helgoboss's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Germany
Posts: 1,603
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vladistone View Post
I got periodical alternate the blinked feedback information on the LCD assignment MCU display. If anyone is interested in my experience - read below:

...

I hope this will help someone expand the range of use of realearn FX ?!
Great that you figured it out! The timer source is a good idea if you want regular switching (such as every 5 seconds). If you have more than two pages (e.g. bank #, send bus #, something else), you can also choose mode "Incremental button" instead of "Toggle button". Then with every timer tick, the page will change.

If you want non-regular switching (e.g. 5 seconds, 2 seconds, 4 seconds), that's also possible by writing your own time-based control transformation. However, it's slightly more difficult because you need to program.
helgoboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 04:32 AM   #3193
helgoboss
Human being with feelings
 
helgoboss's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Germany
Posts: 1,603
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tycho View Post
Is it not possible to target actions within the media explorer? Every time I try to select one under the invoke reaper action target it doesn't work.
I didn't come around to implement this yet. Granted, it would be just consequent to have this. Here's the FR: https://github.com/helgoboss/realearn/issues/422

There's a workaround: Write a ReaScript that calls the action and then just trigger the ReaScript from ReaLearn.
helgoboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 04:40 AM   #3194
helgoboss
Human being with feelings
 
helgoboss's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Germany
Posts: 1,603
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trekopep View Post
Is there a good way to use two buttons with polyphonic aftertouch as a pressure-sensitive FX Parameter controller? i.e. Press down harder on the button to increase the value faster.

I have something kind of working by using Incremental button mode, setting the Speed Min/Max, and using "Fire after timeout, keep firing (turbo)". The issue is that the mapping retriggers whenever the aftertouch value changes, which means the value changes faster when changing the amount of pressure.

I tried having a "Tick" mapping that goes based off of the REAPER Timer, and setting the parameter mapping active "When target value met", but that also doesn't work since the aftertouch needs to be changing in value when the tick is enabled. I also considered using a Control transformation, but since there's no "project" time variable, I can't see that working either. (If I'm understanding correctly, there wouldn't be a way to get rel_time to do what I want?)

Is there a way to do this that I'm missing, or should I give up on it? Honestly, having a non-dynamic adjustment just using a button would be fine, I just thought this sounded fun.
This is an interesting use case! So you want to touch the key and while you hold it it should keep increasing a value AND when pressing harder, it should keep increasing the value faster. Is that correct?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trekopep View Post
(Side note: thanks so much for ReaLearn! I've been trying to get back into music-making for a long time, and this is the most I've messed with Reaper in a LONG time)
I hope it doesn't distract too much from actually making the music

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trekopep View Post
(Side note x2: possible bug, after I leave the Value sequence text field, the numbers disappear and only the commas remain visible. The numbers still function properly, but not being able to see them makes using it difficult)
Which target do you use? Do the values appear when you switch the target value unit to percent (bottom-right button in target section)?
helgoboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 04:42 AM   #3195
helgoboss
Human being with feelings
 
helgoboss's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Germany
Posts: 1,603
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tompad View Post
I read this part "(or "Selected in MCP" if you do track banking by track selection)" a few times
and realized that this maybe is connected to another question that I have:

Am I correct when saying that I can make my X-Touch "follow" the selected track in MCP?
Ex. I see track 1 to 8 on X-Touch and when selecting track 14 in MCP the X-Touch jumps and show track 14?

If so - does it even work the other way around?
Yes, you are correct. And it also works the other way around. You just need to build it that way. The script "daw-control.lua" contains a configuration flag "follow_track_selection" that you can set to true to get this behavior.
helgoboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 04:46 AM   #3196
helgoboss
Human being with feelings
 
helgoboss's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Germany
Posts: 1,603
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by WelderOriginal View Post
Is ReaLearn able to control the color of RGB backlit pads on the AKAI APC KEY 25 ? Could not find any docs to look up and figure that out ..
The pad LEDs of APC Key 25 show different colors depending on the velocity (or CC value, I don't remember if it's controlled by NOTE or CC messages). That means if you have a mapping in ReaLearn that uses a pad as source, you can influence the OFF color by setting "Source min" and ON color by setting "Source max".
helgoboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 05:00 AM   #3197
helgoboss
Human being with feelings
 
helgoboss's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Germany
Posts: 1,603
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by indigomirage View Post
Hi there -

I'm making great headway into mapping ReaLearn. Generally, for DAW control, I use my piano KB midi controller. I've mapped the major transport functions and other to various notes (C#3 = Play... etc...).

One area where I'm stumped is in how to use the Pitch Wheel as either a scrub or as a bank left/right toggle. I can't seem to figure out how to make it recognize a push to the right should be the same as a button to fire Bank increment and a push to the left as a button to fire Bank decrement (or scrub or whatever).

Really at a loss. If anyone has had success (I saw some threads wrt using Pitch Wheel for scrubbing, but not many solutions), I'd be very grateful!

Cheers!
Scrubbing is achieved using target "Project: Invoke REAPER action". The action is "Transport: Scrub/jog (MIDI CC relative/absolute only)" or "Transport: Scrub/jog fine control (MIDI CC relative only)". I don't know how the absolute control works. But the relative mode makes sense and I know it works. With a rotary encoder that natively sends relative messages it's straightforward, just map it.

I was just going to tell you to use "Make relative" or "Incremental buttons" with some adjustments to make it work for an absolute control element such as pitch wheel, but something isn't right. Doesn't work for some reason. Let me look into it.
helgoboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 05:03 AM   #3198
helgoboss
Human being with feelings
 
helgoboss's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Germany
Posts: 1,603
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by hulkss View Post
Sometimes when I start REAPER my TouchOSC control pad does not get a feedback update. If I quit REAPER and restart I do get an update. Is there a process in Windows that needs to be running for the startup feedback to happen?

A possible solution would be to setup a button on my TouchOSC control pad to target the ReaLearn menu command "send feedback now". Is that possible some how?
Oh that's a pity, it's supposed to work automatically. Maybe it's a problem with OSC connection, need to look into it. As for the workaround, yes, you can map "Send feedback now" to a button. There's a *REAPER* action "ReaLearn: Send feedback to all devices" (something like that) which you can map.
helgoboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 05:12 AM   #3199
WelderOriginal
Human being with feelings
 
Join Date: Jan 2023
Posts: 10
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by helgoboss View Post
The pad LEDs of APC Key 25 show different colors depending on the velocity (or CC value, I don't remember if it's controlled by NOTE or CC messages). That means if you have a mapping in ReaLearn that uses a pad as source, you can influence the OFF color by setting "Source min" and ON color by setting "Source max".
I figured out how to light up LED pads on the APC Key by sending raw MIDI messages (using a python script, completely outside of Reaper). And I'll admit I'm pretty confused how Source MIN/MAX influence this.

Looking at the user guide, section related to "Source min/max" :

Quote:
This range also determines the minimum and maximum feedback value
Indeed, swiping through the values change the LED color, but the AKAI expects a 3-bytes message for the LED backlit control:

- A byte for the behaviour (solid, blinking)
- A byte for the pad location in the grid
- A byte for the color

How does the source min/max magically ends up being the last byte send to the device ? Are the two first ones ignored ?
WelderOriginal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 05:55 AM   #3200
helgoboss
Human being with feelings
 
helgoboss's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Germany
Posts: 1,603
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by WelderOriginal View Post
I figured out how to light up LED pads on the APC Key by sending raw MIDI messages (using a python script, completely outside of Reaper). And I'll admit I'm pretty confused how Source MIN/MAX influence this.

Looking at the user guide, section related to "Source min/max" :



Indeed, swiping through the values change the LED color, but the AKAI expects a 3-bytes message for the LED backlit control:

- A byte for the behaviour (solid, blinking)
- A byte for the pad location in the grid
- A byte for the color

How does the source min/max magically ends up being the last byte send to the device ? Are the two first ones ignored ?
Which version of the APC Key 25 do you use? The new one? I only have experience with the old one.

Concerning the bytes: Most messages in MIDI are made up of 3 bytes, also note-on messages. The way ReaLearn is constructed, each MIDI source has some constant parts and some variable parts in the message that it sends/receives. Source "Note velocity" means the constant part will be: one byte encoding the message type (NOTE ON) and channel. One byte for encoding the particular note number. The variable part: one byte encoding the velocity. So velocity translates to the actual value, in both directions. This, changing source min/max value influences the LED color.
helgoboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 11:37 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2023, vBulletin Solutions Inc.