Old 04-23-2011, 12:32 PM   #41
Smurf
Human being with feelings

Thanks for the update onqel! This & Boogix with some IRs have made me a very happy muso!
Old 04-26-2011, 01:48 PM   #42
bls

very good. it will be nice to try this on multiple tracks.
bls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 05:18 PM   #43
PedroSobota

Sounds great, onqel. Thanks a lot for making it.
PedroSobota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 09:54 PM   #44
matey

onqel, this plug is awesome

thank you
Old 04-26-2011, 11:14 PM   #45
jens

Thank you so much for this, Ongel!

The manual for the hardware can be found here:

http://www.tech21nyc.com/support/man...Driver-OM2.pdf

It also includes preset-'screenshots' (for lack of a better term) for a few typical sounds/styles/genres.
jens is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 07:56 AM   #46
jens

Having experimented with the PlugIn a bit I must say that I find the drive to be working extremely odd... it's a if there was simply a certain threshold where everything that surpasses it gets distorted by the same amount so it seems it's either just on or off for any certain point... this leads (depending on the drive level) to only some transients being very distorted, while the rest stays utterly unaffected... really strange.
Old 04-27-2011, 05:53 PM   #47
bls

Have you ever used the hardware? It acts very similar.
Old 04-28-2011, 12:42 AM   #48
jens

From the rather limited experience I had with it I can't remember that - and it would be a very odd thing, wouldn't it?

It is supposed to mimick tube distortion after all and tube distortion increases rather smoothly with increased input-signal.

As it is now the drive function in B.O.D. is almost useless because if not being at 100% it only makes everything sound crappy... and would the original have become so successful if having that kind of 'feature'?

I'm assuming this is some kind of a bug that's going to be fixed, since Ongel's stuff is usually really great and especially his saturation/distortion algorithms kick some serious arse...
and this one sucks right now tbh.
Old 04-28-2011, 02:24 AM   #49
moio

Shhhh...Right after I bought Ampeg SVX ...

Anyway, thanks onqel! Great sound!
moio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 08:53 AM   #50
bls

Quote:
Originally Posted by jens View Post
From the rather limited experience I had with it I can't remember that - and it would be a very odd thing, wouldn't it?

It is supposed to mimick tube distortion after all and tube distortion increases rather smoothly with increased input-signal.

As it is now the drive function in B.O.D. is almost useless because if not being at 100% it only makes everything sound crappy... and would the original have become so successful if having that kind of 'feature'?

I'm assuming this is some kind of a bug that's going to be fixed, since Ongel's stuff is usually really great and especially his saturation/distortion algorithms kick some serious arse...
and this one sucks right now tbh.
I think you may have missed the point of this device. The distortion that you want. Is more ofa saturation/fast compression type effect. When you hear the distortion is when you may consider turning the gain down. Also, there's no tubes in the original. Its a DI/preamp.
Old 04-28-2011, 09:23 AM   #51
jens

I think you may have misunderstood my post. I didn't write anything about the hardware containing any tubes.

Here's a quote from the Bass Driver manual

Quote:
DRIVE: adjusts the overall amount of gain and overdrive, similar to when the output section of a tube
amp is being pushed.

Tubes distort totally unlike this plugin does.

Also, if you listen to examples of the hardware on Youtube, there's no crappy 'brickwall'-distortion going on as in the plugin. For instance check out this promo video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WByH0uiVnI4

(nice Chris Squire hommage included )

Do you notice how smooth the distortion is? Do you notice what HUGE difference there is to the plugin?
Old 04-28-2011, 09:43 AM   #52
jens

Quote:

It is supposed to mimick tube distortion after all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tech21
highly-acclaimed SansAmp™ pioneered Tube Amplifier Emulation[..]
SansAmp Bass Driver DI offers an entire sound spectrum of the most coveted traditional bass amp rigs, from vintage to modern styles.You can also obtain gnarly overdriven sounds
Quote:
Originally Posted by bls View Post
I think you may have missed the point of this device. [...] Also, there's no tubes in the original.

Old 04-28-2011, 09:53 AM   #53
jens

Quote:
I compared it with my sans amp, and this guy got damn close. Once the overdrive is pushed to break, it sounds a bit different, but the drive leading up to the break is very familiar.
I'd say either you are deaf, or your Sans Amp is broken (both of it is not beyond the possible as well of course)
Old 04-28-2011, 10:40 AM   #54
bls

I'm not sure jens, but I think you might be a fool.
Old 04-28-2011, 03:55 PM   #55
Lokasenna

Quote:
I'd say either you are deaf, or your Sans Amp is broken (both of it is not beyond the possible as well of course)
Funny, when I scroll up there's a post where you say that you had a fairly limited experience using the hardware. I suspect the guy who apparently *has* a Sansamp might be more reliable. :P

bls - Any chance you could post a comparison clip of the two, using the same DI and matching settings as much as possible?
Old 04-28-2011, 04:14 PM   #56
Ed Zeppeli

Quote:
I'm not sure jens, but I think you might be a fool.
It's quite possible as I've heard nothing to the contrary.

Although I use and love this plug-in. I'd really like to give a real Sansamp a try sometime just to see how they care. I hear it's a part of Geddy Lee's rig.
Ed Zeppeli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 08:56 AM   #57
jens

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lokasenna View Post
Funny, when I scroll up there's a post where you say that you had a fairly limited experience using the hardware. I suspect the guy who apparently *has* a Sansamp might be more reliable. :P
Why would I need a lot of experience with the hardware to realize something is wrong with the distortion of the plugin?

The hardware would NEVER EVER have becomse so succesful if the distortion was as unuseable as it is in the plugin. And like I said: you only need to listen to examples of the hardware to realize its saturation is working properly (i.e. really sounding tube-like as advertised by Tech21)...

if you don't hear how the drive algorithm in the plugin is fucked up I feel really sorry for you guys - I mean it - don't know what else to say since it is really so obvious.

Last edited by jens; 04-29-2011 at 09:02 AM.
Old 04-29-2011, 09:04 AM   #58
robbiecanuck

Default Thanks! - but problems

Thank you so much - I love this plugin.

Quote:
Originally Posted by onqel View Post
B.O.D is updated to version 1.1

Fixed the audio drop-out bug when loading two instances of the plug..

http://www.theserinaexperiment.net/p...SE_BOD_1.1.zip
But...is there always a but?...I ran into a fairly major issue last night that may be related to your recent tweaks. (I'm not sure if this is the right place for a bug report).

I had a live multitrack recording of our band containing several songs. I mixed them as one big project and used a single B.O.D. 1.1 on the bass DI track. I wanted to render individual songs as mp3s, so I highlighted each song as a selection, and added it to the render queue. When I finally went to the queue and said "render all" Reaper would render one song, then crash. I'd restart reaper, "render all", one more song would render, then crash. I eventually ran task manager and discovered an unkillable Reaper process for each of the crashes. I could not remove the B.O.D. from the bass track (I saw the same crash) until I rebooted the computer _and_ removed the dll from my vst directory. Once B.O.D. 1.1 was removed I could add as many regions to the render queue as I wanted and render them without problems.

All on Windows 7 64 bit, Reaper 3.76 32 bit (I also tried 3.75 32 bit).

Thanks for listening to all of this. I _really_ enjoy using the B.O.D. and I hope I can figure out how to make this latest version work.

- Rob
robbiecanuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 09:04 AM   #59
jens

Here are more examples of the hardware b.t.w. - you could not possibly achieve similar results with the plugin since the saturation/distortion reacts so differently:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Qi-UQ4jvAs
Old 04-30-2011, 07:22 AM   #60
bls

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lokasenna View Post

bls - Any chance you could post a comparison clip of the two, using the same DI and matching settings as much as possible?
That's a great idea, but it may have to wait until after my school finals.
Old 04-30-2011, 09:53 AM   #61
MadMadRiver

Quote:
Here are more examples of the hardware b.t.w. - you could not possibly achieve similar results with the plugin since the saturation/distortion reacts so differently:

I have a Tech 21 BDDI and out of curiosity I just compared the unit's drive against the plugin's drive and it seems that you have to drive the plugin harder to get a similar level of distortion. I turned up my mixer's output volume (going into the computer's audio interface) a bit and was able to match the hardware unit's od/distortion sound. I don't like the overdriven SansAmp sound very much anyway, so I never tested that before - clean, the plugin is spot on against the hardware.

Last edited by MadMadRiver; 04-30-2011 at 12:44 PM.
MadMadRiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2011, 01:52 PM   #62
Bezmotivnik

Quote:

Those sound almost uniformly atrocious.

The real secret to the SansAmp is its subtle attention to EQ, not its distortion, which is more or less based on the notorious Furman accidental distortion artifact in their EQ in the '70s which they subsequently corrected.

It's great for quick tone-shaping (incredible job of putting some life, depth and immediacy in flats, for example), but I just don't get the distortion part.
Bezmotivnik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2011, 01:56 PM   #63
kindafishy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bezmotivnik View Post
Those sound almost uniformly atrocious.

The real secret to the SansAmp is its subtle attention to EQ, not its distortion, which is more or less based on the notorious Furman accidental distortion artifact in their EQ in the '70s which they subsequently corrected.

It's great for quick tone-shaping (incredible job of putting some life, depth and immediacy in flats, for example), but I just don't get the distortion part.
The distortion part largely comes into play with electric guitars. If done right, you can hear the distortion when you solo the bass, but when mixed into the full song, you only hear the bass and the distortion fills out the low mids of the guitars nicely, and the bass has a little more definition. This has been my experience with this plugin, anyway.

I love this plugin. Thanks again to onqel.
kindafishy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2011, 02:02 PM   #64
Bezmotivnik

Quote:
Originally Posted by kindafishy View Post
The distortion part largely comes into play with electric guitars. If done right, you can hear the distortion when you solo the bass
I never want to hear another distorted bass solo as long as I live.
Old 04-30-2011, 05:21 PM   #65
bls

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bezmotivnik View Post
I never want to hear another distorted bass solo as long as I live.
I never want to hear another bass solo as long as I live.
Old 05-01-2011, 05:27 AM   #66
Bassman1

Ah shucks
Old 05-01-2011, 06:20 AM   #67
l0calh05t

Quote:
I never want to hear another bass solo as long as I live.
Damn guitarist kids these days *waves with his stick*
Old 05-03-2011, 09:51 AM   #68
onqel

Quote:
if you don't hear how the drive algorithm in the plugin is fucked up I feel really sorry for you guys - I mean it - don't know what else to say since it is really so obvious.
The hardware unit has opamp distortion only, no diodes or anything that comes close to the warmth of a tube.
This plugin was modeled after a BDDI clone which has it's shortcomings, I'm sorry you don't like it, but unfortunately it's as close as I can get right now with my current schematics.. I will of course improve it when I get the chance

robbiecanuck: April 29th 7:45pm i reuploaded the B.O.D version 1.1 with some changes to see if it still behaved strange .. could you please download it again and confirm if it's still buggy? http://www.theserinaexperiment.net/forum/index.php

Last edited by onqel; 05-03-2011 at 10:00 AM.
onqel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 10:53 AM   #69
robbiecanuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by onqel View Post
robbiecanuck: April 29th 7:45pm i reuploaded the B.O.D version 1.1 with some changes to see if it still behaved strange .. could you please download it again and confirm if it's still buggy? http://www.theserinaexperiment.net/forum/index.php
Will do. I'll try it tonight. Thank you very much.

- Rob
Old 05-03-2011, 09:31 PM   #70
robbiecanuck

Default Sucess!

Onqel:

I downloaded the latest 1.1, dated 4/29/11 7:40pm in the zip file. I was able to successfully render a queue of 3 songs on the same project that hung and left orphan reaper processes last time.

I don't know what you changed but that certainly seemed to fix it.

Thank you very much!

- Rob
Old 05-26-2011, 08:22 AM   #71
Bassman1

Posting this here to see if anyone else has had this problem. I love this plug but had a heck of a time sorting a problem out....Hope there is a simple fix to this, as I want to add it back into my plugs.

http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=80885

For now it is uninstalled and all is fine again.
Old 05-26-2011, 10:27 AM   #72
bls

I've had no problem, but I'm still on 3.76

Thanks for the heads up though.
Old 06-01-2011, 07:38 AM   #73
onqel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bassman1 View Post
Posting this here to see if anyone else has had this problem. I love this plug but had a heck of a time sorting a problem out....Hope there is a simple fix to this, as I want to add it back into my plugs.

http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=80885

For now it is uninstalled and all is fine again.
tried downloading the file again? I made an update right after the initial release of version 1.1 which worked well for some daw's, but I didn't change the version number.. tried downloading again too see what happened? :P
onqel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 07:47 AM   #74
Bassman1

onqel Downloaded it again and tried adding and removing it, changing projects, and all is sweet.

Many thanks. I love this plug, and was really disappointed when i had problem and had to remove it.

All seems good now, thanks again.
Old 09-08-2017, 03:17 AM   #75
Nardus Niemand

Default B.O.D. version 3 is out.

Check it out here:
http://www.tseaudio.com/software/tseBOD

great plugin
Nardus Niemand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2017, 09:29 PM   #76
Bazzbass