Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Compatibility

Old 03-30-2009, 07:34 AM   #41
TB!
Human being with feelings

I would also like to get my 428 working with reaper. Momentarily I am using it just as a soundcard, the controls don't work. I would greatly appreciate if someone would be willing to elaborate on the steps necessary to get at least some of the 428 controls workin with reaper.
TB! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 11:56 PM   #42
Edwood

Hi, I'll send Justin my US428 if He needs it. Ed
Edwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2009, 12:14 PM   #43
flynsk

Quote:
Originally Posted by TB! View Post
I would greatly appreciate if someone would be willing to elaborate on the steps necessary to get at least some of the 428 controls workin with reaper.

So...Here's a short guide to setting up the US-428. the i/o, faders, knobs, mute, transport wheel and record, play, etc buttons working. I added the input/output stuff for others who might pick up this thread.

1. DO NOT try to load it as a "control surface" in prefs. It will ruin your day.
2. Set it to "four banks of encoders" in the device properties. (either in control panel, or in reaper's asio settings to save time)
3. In Reaper, go to your devices in options->preferences (or top right corner of main window)then click device under the Audio heading on the left->select ASIO,Tascam ASIO 24bit and set up the first and last i/o's A-D, etc. request 48000 Hz. (assuming you want the highest rate at which the 428 can encode)
4. go to the "Midi Device" section just below device, again on the left. Make sure your US-428 control surface is enabled as "control only" by checking the boxes. Check that that the i/o's are there too.
5. Now go here and get the keyfile. http://forum.cockos.com/showpost.php...0&postcount=11
6. put this file with the others buried in your Reaper directory, then click "actions" and import the commands into the action list.
7. check that your project sample rates jive with what you just set (wrench icon), 'cause they usually default to 41.1kHz.

6. test and let me know if it's not working for you so I can edit this

Last edited by flynsk; 05-01-2009 at 09:43 PM.
flynsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2009, 12:48 PM   #44
flynsk

Default So who will do it?

How about we start a pool? I'd be willing to chip in 5-10 bucks for shipping to someone who will actually take the initiative to maintain contact with, and ship to, Justin.... cause it's not me :P

Seems like we have a lot of willing people, but nobody spearheading this movement.

I'm too busy with the new baby just now. Anything I can't do in one sitting just isn't happening. - A paypal payment, however, i can manage
Old 05-12-2009, 07:48 PM   #45
Count Bassie

Default I'll Do It...

I'll send in my US-428 (recently scored a replacement for my old one) if Justin and co. will have it. I'm going to write a short note to admin and we'll see what happens.

Don't kow about pitching in, et al, but I want mine working! I have a CD project I want to do on R, so it's time.

-The Grubs
Count Bassie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009, 04:06 AM   #46
Count Bassie

Wrote 'em, waiting...

-The Grubs
Old 06-01-2009, 09:52 AM   #47
flynsk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Count Bassie View Post
Wrote 'em, waiting...
Awesome! Thank you!
Old 06-07-2009, 02:11 PM   #48
TB!

Quote:
Originally Posted by flynsk View Post
So...Here's a short guide to setting up the US-428. the i/o, faders, knobs, mute, transport wheel and record, play, etc buttons working. I added the input/output stuff for others who might pick up this thread.

1. DO NOT try to load it as a "control surface" in prefs. It will ruin your day.
2. Set it to "four banks of encoders" in the device properties. (either in control panel, or in reaper's asio settings to save time)
3. In Reaper, go to your devices in options->preferences (or top right corner of main window)then click device under the Audio heading on the left->select ASIO,Tascam ASIO 24bit and set up the first and last i/o's A-D, etc. request 48000 Hz. (assuming you want the highest rate at which the 428 can encode)
4. go to the "Midi Device" section just below device, again on the left. Make sure your US-428 control surface is enabled as "control only" by checking the boxes. Check that that the i/o's are there too.
5. Now go here and get the keyfile. http://forum.cockos.com/showpost.php...0&postcount=11
6. put this file with the others buried in your Reaper directory, then click "actions" and import the commands into the action list.
7. check that your project sample rates jive with what you just set (wrench icon), 'cause they usually default to 41.1kHz.

Fantastic! It works! Thank you so much! :-)
TB! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 03:37 AM   #49
Count Bassie

After a re-read this looks pretty easy! I'll try it soon's I get a minute... might be just in time to record a band demo!

-The Grubs
Old 06-11-2009, 02:21 AM   #50
Edwood

Thank you for the update! I'll try it this weekend, Ed
Old 06-12-2009, 04:31 AM   #51
Edwood

Sorry to report a Failure here. What am I doing wrong?
I'm leaving Control Surface empty, if that correct? Thanks, Ed
Old 06-12-2009, 12:16 PM   #52
Edwood

First off, Let me thank you for your hard work +++111
Got most of it working except Pan, Scrub Wheel ( Maximizes length of track}
Forward and Reverse transport Buttons and transport lights. Perhaps someone
can confirm this as most likely its a error on my part. Thanks again, Ed
Old 07-01-2009, 03:51 AM   #53
kfoltman

The keymap-based solution above is not supposed to control the lights, just buttons, is that correct? (Reaper can't use the MIDI message information in the keymap to send same kind of values back to the control device?)

If that's the case, is anyone still interested in having full(-ish) support for US428? I'm thinking of trying to do it, but it's probably not worth the effort if I was to be the only user.
kfoltman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 09:49 AM   #54
Edwood

Count me in, Thanks. Ed
Old 07-01-2009, 04:09 PM   #55
kfoltman

Okay, so here is the first preview. Note that it's very incomplete, making it arguably worse than the keymap based solution:

- it doesn't handle bank switching
- it doesn't handle fader NULL feature
- no SOLO button support either (I'm not quite sure how it's supposed to work)
- you can't select multiple tracks with SELECT family of buttons
- master fader doesn't work
- no EQ adjustment

What *does* work:
- faders, muting, arming, selection for the first 8 tracks (yes, it updates the lights on US-428 when you select or mute tracks in Reaper!)
- pan knob for the active track
- jogging via jog dial
- LOCATE buttons; SET sets a marker; STOP+SET deletes a marker
- standard transport buttons (use STOP+REW to rewind to start, STOP+FFWD to rewind to end)
- track effect adjustment (pressing aux1..aux4 selects fx parameters 1..4 for adjustment with jog dial, see: action 950..953)

You can download the .dll and the source (basically the modified SDK) from http://foltman.com/us428/us428stuff.zip - here's how to use it:
- just drop it into Reaper's plugin directory instead of the original one (for best result, back the original up)
- switch the US428 to Native mode in its control panel
- start Reaper
- select Control Surfaces in preferences dialog, then press Add, pick Tascam US-428 (Native) as surface mode
- select the correct Input and Output device ("US-428 Control")

Note, this is just one evening of work, and I haven't coded any Windows stuff for 2 years. It may or may not work for you, may crash in the middle of important session and so on. Plus, it's not too useful for now due to lack of bank support and other essential stuff. Still, it's fun!
Old 07-01-2009, 07:53 PM   #56
battla

i have one of these i'll sell if anyone's interested. i've never had any trouble getting it's full midi functionality working with reaper though so i'm not sure why you'd need any additional extension? as a soundcard it's pretty much obsolete (these came out in 2001) although you can use it if you're not doing more than 2x2 at a time. it is a pretty comprehensive mixing control surface though. make me an offer via pm if you're interested.
battla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 01:27 AM   #57
kfoltman

Battla, I already have an US428. Otherwise, I couldn't have gotten prototype ready in one evening I never tried the MIDI OX trick, as it seems rather cumbersome to me.

Also, I found another limitation of my plugin: it doesn't react to track removal properly, so the LEDs stay lit when a track they correspond to no longer exists.

Anyway, I'm going to wait with further development until I get some feedback about existing version - I'm not sure if supporting fader banks makes any sense when faders are not motorized, as any bank switch would require fader "NULLing" in order to be able to use them.

There are other things that could be solved in different suboptimal ways - for example, supporting SOLO for channels is difficult with just one LED available to show solo flag status. It could make use of MUTE LEDs (by showing as muted all tracks other than the soloed ones, plus SOLO LED). Alternatively, it could change the way MUTE LEDs work (so if SOLO LED is lit, then MUTE LEDs are used to indicate solo track). Neither of these is really good. I could make it configurable, but that's more work.
Old 07-19-2009, 08:30 PM   #58
battla

i'm so confused as to how you all got to thinking this thing doesn't work with reaper. here's what you need to do:

1. download the drivers from tascams site
2. install BEFORE turning on the unit
3. use it like any other control surface

i've had full compatibility including all operation modes (four banks of controls, mackie emulation, us-428 native) since pre reaper 2. it works perfectly no extensions or additional support required. if you're having trouble getting yours to work pm me with the exact details of your problem and i'll see what i can do to help.
Old 07-19-2009, 08:32 PM   #59
battla

Quote:
Originally Posted by kfoltman View Post
Okay, so here is the first preview. Note that it's very incomplete, making it arguably worse than the keymap based solution:

- it doesn't handle bank switching
- it doesn't handle fader NULL feature
- no SOLO button support either (I'm not quite sure how it's supposed to work)
- you can't select multiple tracks with SELECT family of buttons
- master fader doesn't work
- no EQ adjustment
i'm tellin you you're writing a solution to a problem that doesn't exist. i've had all of this functionality since the first time i ever used my us-428 with reaper.
Old 07-20-2009, 01:47 PM   #60
kfoltman

Quote:
Originally Posted by battla View Post
1. download the drivers from tascams site
2. install BEFORE turning on the unit
3. use it like any other control surface
Like any other control surface = by using Preferences/Control Surfaces in Reaper?

I couldn't get it to work using any of Reaper's built in control surface modes, no response to any fader/button operations whatsoever. As I said, I had some success with keymap based solution, but that's one-sided communication only (doesn't update the LEDs).

The only mode that seems to do anything is the HUI(partial) mode, and that that's where US-428 faders "work" by changing track pan instead of track volume. Kind of suboptimal, to be honest.

Of course, I'm using latest drivers from Tascam (3.4.0.3). The drivers are surely installed properly, because my own crappy version of surface plugin is working just fine using exactly the same setup.

By the way, there's no "Mackie emulation" mode in this version of drivers, or any other version I've seen - it is allegedly available in Tascam FW-1082 though (but that's a completely different device!).

If there's some trick to make it work - I surely must have overlooked it. Can you verify that it works for you with unmodified Reaper 3.0.5?
Old 07-22-2009, 02:25 AM   #61
Edwood

+1 to that, Ed
Old 07-22-2009, 04:16 PM   #62
battla

i'm not sure what i'm missing here and not sure what you mean by "keymap mode" just assign whichever controller to whatever you want to controll in the normal (if cumbersome) reaper fasion. i have the eq controls on mine control any instance of reaeq that is in focus by duplicating the same assignments for each instance and limiting each to in focus. the job wheel scrubs/scrolls/zooms depending on which bank and function im in etc. if there's any limitations to the use of the thing with reaper i haven't found them yet. perhaps you could tell me a specific example of a controller assignment you are trying to make but having trouble?
Old 07-23-2009, 12:11 AM   #63
kfoltman

As I said, key mapping works, but this is unidirectional only, so there's only as much visual feedback on the US-428 as the driver provides without Reaper's help. So:

- no fader NULLing (because the surface doesn't know the "required" value)
- no transport lights
- no solo/mute/rec lights, only select (because it's handled by driver itself)

And there's no way to add it, so I'm considering the keymap to be kind of a dead end. Useful one (most things work, after all!), but still.

I also had some problems with assigning toggle buttons myself (mute etc.) in Native mode, but the keymap in this thread for Four encoder banks mode doesn't have that problem.
Old 07-26-2009, 07:01 AM   #64
Edwood

Battla, I have tried every combination conceivable with no luck,Ed
Old 07-29-2009, 07:06 AM   #65
idrop

Quote:
Originally Posted by flynsk View Post

This one worked great for me. the only issue I had was that my jog wheel would not move the cursor. Instead it would zoom in horizontally. Tried to change and adjust in the actions, but still no luck. When I try to assign a shortcut, certain midi controls are always ,moving so it makes it difficult.

Quote:
By the way, there's no "Mackie emulation" mode in this version of drivers, or any other version I've seen - it is allegedly available in Tascam FW-1082 though (but that's a completely different device!).
Yeah, I don't have that option either.
idrop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 02:04 PM   #66
kfoltman

Okay. So, I wasted two more evenings on this crap, and added a couple more features:

- fader bank support

Each bank corresponds to 8 tracks, there is no upper limit on the number of banks.

- track send support

The track sends can be adjusted using jog wheel, after selecting the send using one of the buttons labeled AUX1 - AUX4. Effect automation is still accessible for first 3 parameters, via buttons labeled F1 - F3. The ASSIGN button is still unused.

- master fader support

The master fader can be used to adjust volume of the master channel. However, in order to use that without side effects, the option "Master fader sends MIDI only" in the US-428 control panel must be set.

- fader null mode

Allows resetting the physical faders to song's values. Press NULL, and the mute/rec/select LEDs in each strip will show if corresponding fader's position is too high (yellow LED), too low (green LED) or just right (red LED). The master fader has only one LED, so I decided to use EQ LEDs for it instead.

- solo mode

The SOLO button changes the function of MUTE buttons and LEDs. When SOLO mode is enabled, those act as SOLO switches and indicators, instead of MUTE.

- autodetection

There is no settings window for US-428 surface - it's not needed, the correct MIDI devices will be found automatically. As far as I know, nobody is using two US-428, and no other device implements the same control protocol, so this is arguably the best approach.

Also, I made some fixes, mostly related to updating LED when adding/removing tracks, loading songs etc.

Anybody wants to test?

Edit: added SOLO function too.

Last edited by kfoltman; 08-06-2009 at 02:19 PM.
Old 08-10-2009, 07:48 AM   #67
bestcontrol

> Anybody wants to test?

Yes please!
My US-428 is desperately waiting for some more charming support...

And thank you in advance.
bestcontrol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 10:44 AM   #68
kfoltman

http://foltman.com/us428/us428stuff-new.zip

In order to be able to use it, just copy the DLL file into Reaper's plugin directory (replacing the original file - you may move the original somewhere else in case this doesn't work). Then select US-428 in Control Surfaces page in preferences window. Also, go to US-428 applet in Windows control panel, Select "US-428 Native" protocol and "MIDI fader sends MIDI only".

Also provided is the source code - in case anyone has too much spare time and wants to improve on it. The license is the same as of the original control surface code, i.e. LGPL.

Note - there is no warranty whatsoever, use at your own risk. Use in production environment is not recommended, as it might crash Reaper in the middle of the session. It works fine for me, but YMMV.

EDIT: Also, keep in mind to disable the "Enable input for control messages" option for the US-428 Control device, it's no longer and may in fact interfere with operation of the plugin.

Last edited by kfoltman; 08-10-2009 at 11:06 AM.
Old 08-11-2009, 06:59 PM   #69
AzureCrystal

Default [Play], [Record] nto working

Hi kfoltman;

I tried the DLL and everything works fine except [Play] and [Record] buttons, when I press those I get(Yes I am in us-428 native mode) : "the following MIDI inputs/outputs could not be opened: US-428 Control".. the thing is after that messagebox comes up, the buttons DO work, but its annoying getting those messages every time...

Even when I click on the play icon in Reaper, I get the message, but it does work after I clear the messagebox and the play light turn on.... Arrrhhhg, almost there... !!!

Last edited by AzureCrystal; 08-11-2009 at 07:16 PM. Reason: typos
AzureCrystal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 12:25 AM   #70
kfoltman

That's rather unusual, judging from how this code works (or is supposed to). I mean, the MIDI devices are supposed to be opened on startup only, don't know why it's opened on playback.

Are you sure you don't have US-428 control enabled as input or for control messages, or some other application using the US-428 at the same time?

You're using it with Reaper 3.06, or some other version?
Old 08-12-2009, 02:35 PM   #71
kfoltman

Just checked: this error message shows up when you have US-428 Control enabled as either input or output in MIDI Devices tab.

It should be <disabled> in both MIDI input and MIDI output list.
Old 08-12-2009, 06:54 PM   #72
bestcontrol

Default Works great! Wow!

kfoltman,
I've played around with your adaption, and I must say I'm really impressed.
What works well:
channel and master faders,
Fader NULL function works great! Even better than in Adobe Audition
PAN control
channel select, bank select
Locate and SET buttons
Rec/Play/Stop and REW, F.FWD
Scrubbing using the Jog wheel - also, very nice and actually usable!!

There's only one thing I really miss: EQ support.
Using ReaEQ, I have tried to add relative controller support in FX chain window using [Param]->FX param->Learn->MIDI Learn and tried different "CC mode=Relative" settings, but turning an EQ knob seems to send no data.

Does your adaption probablya "block" anything? Or am I getting s/th wrong here?
4-Channel EQ support is the only thing left that I could wish for :-)

And thanks again for your great work!
Old 08-12-2009, 07:04 PM   #73
AzureCrystal

Yes, using Reaper 3.06 and us-428 driver v3.4.0, attached are screen shots, as soon as i add the device I get errors:

Quote:
That's rather unusual, judging from how this code works (or is supposed to). I mean, the MIDI devices are supposed to be opened on startup only, don't know why it's opened on playback.

Are you sure you don't have US-428 control enabled as input or for control messages, or some other application using the US-428 at the same time?

You're using it with Reaper 3.06, or some other version?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg reaper-1.jpg (69.9 KB, 350 views)
File Type: jpg reaper-2.jpg (47.3 KB, 318 views)
Old 08-12-2009, 07:06 PM   #74
AzureCrystal

THAT WAS IT !!! THANK YOU !! YIPEE !!!

Quote:
Just checked: this error message shows up when you have US-428 Control enabled as either input or output in MIDI Devices tab.

It should be <disabled> in both MIDI input and MIDI output list.
Old 08-13-2009, 12:12 AM   #75
kfoltman

Quote:
Originally Posted by bestcontrol View Post
Does your adaption probablya "block" anything? Or am I getting s/th wrong here?
4-Channel EQ support is the only thing left that I could wish for :-)
Yes, I'm probably not passing unhandled messages back to Reaper. I'll try to add that function later.

EDIT: There are probably two possible solutions. First is basically what you describe, i.e. allow manual binding of the EQ controls via CC mapping. The second would try to find the Reaper EQ plugin on the current track, and try to control the parameters directly, without any keymap use. It's less flexible, more complex to code, but also more effort-free from the user point of view.

Maybe this + ability to control arbitrary plugins using EQ knobs and Assignable button, would provide enough support to be able to call it a finished version.

Last edited by kfoltman; 08-13-2009 at 03:17 AM.
Old 08-13-2009, 02:27 AM   #76
Edwood

OK, I put the DLL file in the Plugin folder and it won't show in Control Surfaces? Thanks, Ed
Old 08-13-2009, 03:11 AM   #77
kfoltman

Did you put it in Plugins or Plugins\FX? It should be put in the former, and overwrite the already-existing file with the same name. If you renamed the old file, be sure it doesn't appear anywhere where Reaper could find it, or it may use the original control surface plugin instead of mine.

In other words, it's not a VST/DX/JS/whatever plugin, it's a Reaper native plugin. It should replace the original control surface driver (the one with Mackie, Faderport etc. but without US-428).

Once it's finished, I may try to post it to plugin developers forum and ask if it could be integrated into Reaper - it would be best to have US-428 support "out of the box"
Old 08-13-2009, 04:22 AM   #78
bestcontrol

> Maybe this + ability to control arbitrary plugins using EQ knobs and Assignable button, would provide enough support to be able to call it a finished version.

Indeed that'd be superb.

> ...try to find the Reaper EQ plugin on the current track, and try to control the parameters directly...

Even better! Since the EQ is one of the most important tools in audio production, I'm sure not to be the only one you'd make a lot happier with such kind of support.
One thing to think about though: Controlling EQ imho only makes sense if you also SEE the four EQ bands you're about to tweak. So most likely the ReaEQ "curve window" should pop up as soon as you press one of the low/lomid/himid/high EQ band buttons, and maybe disappear as soon as you press any non-EQ-related button (like transport control, select btn etc) on the 428.
kfoltman, please get in touch with me if I can help you somehow.
Old 08-13-2009, 05:56 AM   #79
yhertogh

Quote:
Did you put it in Plugins or Plugins\FX? It should be put in the former, and overwrite the already-existing file with the same name. If you renamed the old file, be sure it doesn't appear anywhere where Reaper could find it, or it may use the original control surface plugin instead of mine.

In other words, it's not a VST/DX/JS/whatever plugin, it's a Reaper native plugin. It should replace the original control surface driver (the one with Mackie, Faderport etc. but without US-428).

Once it's finished, I may try to post it to plugin developers forum and ask if it could be integrated into Reaper - it would be best to have US-428 support "out of the box"
Xenakios has written control surface code for the VS2480 (maintenance will be provided by me), but that was through a seperate DLL i.e not integrated with the reaper_csurf.dll. This might be a better option going forward ?

Thumbs up for the good work btw!

Yves
yhertogh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 06:22 AM   #80
kfoltman

Quote:
Originally Posted by yhertogh View Post
Xenakios has written control surface code for the VS2480 (maintenance will be provided by me), but that was through a seperate DLL i.e not integrated with the reaper_csurf.dll. This might be a better option going forward ?
I'm not sure. First, all existing control surfaces are currently selected from the same place (combo box in Control Surfaces), and it's probably hard to have additional control surfaces in separate DLLs. Second, the parts of my code might be reused for other purposes - basically, more of example code for potential control surface developers.

Anyway, I don't have any strong opinion either way, unless it makes my code much more complex than it is now.