Old 02-15-2012, 02:58 PM   #1
jalan
Human being with feelings

Default Killing my quad-core - help?

Hi, all. My latest project is killing my machine (PC details in my sig) -- performance meter has me up in the mid 80% to 90%. My PC is a few years old now, but that still just doesn't seem right to me. I'm at about 40 tracks, but all basic stuff -- only one VST (Slate drums), guitars, bass and vox (looks like the TSE X50 on my guitars is what's doing the most damage).

Just wondering if there's anything in the RPR preferences, etc. that I may have setup wrong or might need to change to maximize my machine. Any input welcome. Thanks!
Old 02-15-2012, 04:11 PM   #2
rictheobscene

What kind of and how many reverbs are you running?
rictheobscene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 04:48 PM   #3
chucky5p

Quote:
Originally Posted by jalan View Post
Hi, all. My latest project is killing my machine (PC details in my sig) -- performance meter has me up in the mid 80% to 90%. My PC is a few years old now, but that still just doesn't seem right to me. I'm at about 40 tracks, but all basic stuff -- only one VST (Slate drums), guitars, bass and vox (looks like the TSE X50 on my guitars is what's doing the most damage).

Just wondering if there's anything in the RPR preferences, etc. that I may have setup wrong or might need to change to maximize my machine. Any input welcome. Thanks!
From what I've read, it seems that the TSE X50 is known to use a lot of CPU. Maybe you could replace it with the TSE X30 which uses a lot less CPU, or optimize the settings of the TSE X50 to use less CPU while playing live (tracking, practicing, etc) but still give full quality when rendering.

Check this review of the TSE X30 vs. the TSE X50:
http://audiobestplugins.blogspot.com...-freeware.html
chucky5p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 04:57 PM   #4
chrisharbin

Are those made with SE/SM? If so they are most likely going to crush a project.

You can always demo a couple of other amp sims. There is another thread where the TH1 seems to be working well in efficiency. You can also try amplitube free and it has economy settings which can bring down CPU use.
chrisharbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 05:50 PM   #5
jalan

Thanks for the tips. Yeah, the X50 is a CPU killer, and I have it on several tracks, but I haven't found anything I like as much, tone-wise -- the X30 is a very different sounding sim to my ears.

@chucky5p -- what kind of settings are you talking about? Are they in RPR or the X50? *Nevermind, just saw it in the vid you linked

@rictheobscene -- no reverbs yet, which makes this all the more disappointing

And I should clarify that I'm only running one VST *instrument*. Obviously, I've got several VST ampsims going (but very little else at this point).
Old 02-15-2012, 05:58 PM   #6
chrisharbin

Sounds like a chore for freeze
chrisharbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 09:03 PM   #7
brainwreck

Put it in the input fx section, and save yourself some cpu. I'm seeing around 1.6% for an i7, but that is an unnecessary 1.6%, the way that I see it.
brainwreck is offline   Reply With Quote