Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Color Themes and Icon Sets

Old 03-12-2020, 01:56 PM   #1
amagalma
Human being with feelings

Default A fast way to adjust all the colors of ANY theme (zipped or unzipped)

I think many may find it useful, that is why I am posting the link again here.

https://stash.reaper.fm/38676/amagal...rs%20v2.00.gif

amagalma_Adjust theme colors script

Last edited by amagalma; 03-27-2020 at 07:22 PM.
amagalma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2020, 11:59 PM   #2
tonybeepbeep

Thanks for the heads up. Very useful script for me.
tonybeepbeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2020, 01:06 AM   #3
martmix

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonybeepbeep View Post
Thanks for the heads up. Very useful script for me.
where do i dounwload it?
martmix is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2020, 01:38 AM   #4
Mordi

Pretty cool script!

Quote:
Originally Posted by martmix View Post
where do i dounwload it?
Via the ReaPack extension, it looks like.
Old 03-13-2020, 01:49 AM   #5
martmix

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mordi View Post
Pretty cool script!

Via the ReaPack extension, it looks like.
thank you
martmix is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2020, 08:55 AM   #6
BirdBird

This looks awesome!
BirdBird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2020, 10:09 AM   #7
White Tie
Pixel Pusher

This is great.

Just like when people use the theme tweaker, when this writes a new theme file, it will break the connection to the theme adjuster for any theme that has one. I would be grateful if you could help spreading the word on this, we've known about the problem for a while now but are struggling to get the message out to a critical mass of users so that when people experience this they get the correct advice. Thanks!

If you were interested in extending this, your script could, I imagine, mitigate the problem. When the user saves the theme, you could clone the theme adjuster script and adjust the name accordingly. For extra awesomeness, you could then perhaps also clone the old theme's entry in reaper-themeconfig.ini so that it doesn't revert to the blank 'you've never edited this theme's theme adjuster' state the next time the user fires up Reaper.
Old 03-13-2020, 05:11 PM   #8
amagalma

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Tie View Post
This is great.

Just like when people use the theme tweaker, when this writes a new theme file, it will break the connection to the theme adjuster for any theme that has one. I would be grateful if you could help spreading the word on this, we've known about the problem for a while now but are struggling to get the message out to a critical mass of users so that when people experience this they get the correct advice. Thanks!

If you were interested in extending this, your script could, I imagine, mitigate the problem. When the user saves the theme, you could clone the theme adjuster script and adjust the name accordingly. For extra awesomeness, you could then perhaps also clone the old theme's entry in reaper-themeconfig.ini so that it doesn't revert to the blank 'you've never edited this theme's theme adjuster' state the next time the user fires up Reaper.
If I understand correctly, the settings of each theme that connects with the default Theme Adjuster script are saved in reaper-themeconfig.ini under the theme's section name. Right?
Code:
[Default_6.0]
param19=25
param22=100
param18=6
etc....
My script works with unzipped themes only as there is not, at the moment, any way to read from, write to or extract zipped files with Reascript (if I am wrong and there is a way, please tell me - I am really interested!! ).
The connection of the default Theme Adjuster script with the Default theme is broken from the moment you extract Default_6.0_unpacked.ReaperTheme from the zipped Default_6.0.ReaperThemeZip. This is because there is this inside Default_6.0_unpacked.ReaperTheme:
Code:
ui_img=Default_6.0_unpacked
If it is changed to:
Code:
ui_img=Default_6.0.ReaperThemeZip
then the connection is back.

But all this has nothing to do with my script, because these are steps that the user has to do, before using the script. The script just changes the colors of any unzipped ReaperTheme that is thrown to it.

IF there was a way to read/extract and write to zip files with Reascript then I would adapt my script to do the whole process and work with zipped themes. But there is not

The only thing I could do is:
- check if the name of the extracted theme is Default_6.0_unpacked.ReaperTheme and if yes then automatically change ui_img from Default_6.0_unpacked to Default_6.0.ReaperThemeZip ***
- check in reaper-themeconfig.ini if there are entries under [Default_6.0] and duplicate them under the entry of the new saved adjusted theme.

Would that be ok?

But this is the most that can be done with tied hands.. Give me zip support and then the sky is the limit

***Perhaps the ui_img=Default_6.0.ReaperThemeZip entry could be there in the first place? I mean make it the default setting from the next Reaper version? Is there any reason the entry should be Default_6.0_unpacked?

Last edited by amagalma; 03-13-2020 at 05:25 PM.
Old 03-14-2020, 03:23 AM   #9
Jerok

Amazing work Amagalma

Sadly for less skilled people it has some as you say lockdowns.
Lets just hope for a zip support to make this usefull for people who dont understand everything to get it to work ..

keep up the amazing work.
Jerok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2020, 10:00 AM   #10
White Tie
Pixel Pusher

Quote:
Originally Posted by amagalma View Post
If I understand correctly, the settings of each theme that connects with the default Theme Adjuster script are saved in reaper-themeconfig.ini under the theme's section name. Right?

- check in reaper-themeconfig.ini if there are entries under [Default_6.0] and duplicate them under the entry of the new saved adjusted theme.
That's correct. And if you've already made changes to the theme adjuster, as you note they aren't carried over to the new theme, which is tripping a lot of people up, because everything appears the way you've set it, but next time you start Reaper it only loads the params for the 'new' theme.

Quote:
My script works with unzipped themes only
Ah, dammit. I was assuming you'd licked that particular problem. That's a shame, and its going to limit its immediacy for rank and file users, but make no mistake ...the script is still of enormous value. Really well done sir.

Quote:
The only thing I could do is:
- check if the name of the extracted theme is Default_6.0_unpacked.ReaperTheme and if yes then automatically change ui_img from Default_6.0_unpacked to Default_6.0.ReaperThemeZip *** ... Would that be ok?
I think that would cause more problems down the line, because it leaves the theme in a kind of 'semi unpacked' state. That's going to cause a lot of confusion! Because Reaper prioritises a ReaperThemeZip theme over a duplicate theme of the same name (which used to be the other way round, but that's a whole other saga) the user needs to corrupt the extension by making it .zip so that Reaper doesn't see it any more. The default theme may change name when you unpack it, but almost every other theme doesn't ...because that didn't used to be necessary.

What you have here is great. I would like to withdraw my suggestions of complicating it What I would still, however, request is that you add very clear instructions that join in my efforts to spread the word to users about the need to duplicate the theme adjuster with the new theme name. It breaks things, and there's no way for the user to know why, so repeating the information as often as possible. This chap, for example...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ledg View Post
I'm through with the Theme Adjuster. It's stuck on a configuration that will not change. I have to readjust it every session. Let me know when it's fixed. Back to 5.0
...that post is from a thread where the solution is described in post #1. But if the theme adjuster behaves strangely, it is reasonable for a logical person would assume that it is the theme adjuster that is broken. Just gotta keep saying it... When you save, its a new theme
Old 03-15-2020, 08:22 AM   #11
amagalma

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Tie View Post
That's correct. And if you've already made changes to the theme adjuster, as you note they aren't carried over to the new theme, which is tripping a lot of people up, because everything appears the way you've set it, but next time you start Reaper it only loads the params for the 'new' theme.

Yes, that is because they may not get that a mod of a theme is a new/different theme!

Quote:
Ah, dammit. I was assuming you'd licked that particular problem. That's a shame, and its going to limit its immediacy for rank and file users, but make no mistake ...the script is still of enormous value. Really well done sir.
Thank you sir! Actually, I found a way to solve this problem too. I have opened a discussion with other scripters in the script forum and made a proposal, so that we can come up with a unified solution.

Quote:
..Because Reaper prioritises a ReaperThemeZip theme over a duplicate theme of the same name (which used to be the other way round, but that's a whole other saga) the user needs to corrupt the extension by making it .zip so that Reaper doesn't see it any more. The default theme may change name when you unpack it, but almost every other theme doesn't ...because that didn't used to be necessary.

Are you sure!?.. Because, here I don't see such a change! Reaper always prioritizes ReaperTheme over the same-named ReaperThemeZip.

Quote:
What you have here is great. I would like to withdraw my suggestions of complicating it What I would still, however, request is that you add very clear instructions that join in my efforts to spread the word to users about the need to duplicate the theme adjuster with the new theme name. It breaks things, and there's no way for the user to know why, so repeating the information as often as possible.

Thank you! The script is going to change and support zipped themes, so maybe our discussion up to the time being won't be relevant to the new situation. But I still want to get this right: why does a mod of the default theme, needs to have the theme adjuster script duplicated and renamed? Since in the reaper-themeconfig.ini every mod that accesses the theme adjuster script can have its own settings under its own section.

PS. One thing that I would suggest for the default theme adjuster script is to always check if the currently loaded theme is the same with the theme that was loaded when the script was first run. If it is not then load the settings of the new theme.

Code:
local first = reaper.GetLastColorThemeFile()
local msg = reaper.ShowConsoleMsg
local start = reaper.time_precise()
msg("\n\nCurrent color theme is : " .. first)
msg("\n\nNow please try to load a different theme\n\n")

function main()
  local new = reaper.GetLastColorThemeFile()
  if new == first then
    if reaper.time_precise()-start < 20 then
      reaper.defer(main)
    else
      msg("20 seconds passed and you didn't change theme! Don't be lazy!\n\n")
      return
    end
  else
    msg("New theme is : " .. new)
    return
  end
end

main()

Last edited by amagalma; 03-19-2020 at 06:34 AM.
Old 03-19-2020, 06:20 AM   #12
amagalma

New version v1.35 on ReaPack

v1.35 changelog:
- Zipped themes support (ReaperThemeZip)
- The new saved adjusted theme inherits the old theme's "Default_6.0 theme adjuster" settings, if any

I may try to supprt adjusting the colors in the rtconfig.txt but I do not promise, as this is going to be DIFFICULT!

Currently the script adjusts all normal colors (not colors with alpha and blend modes) in the ReaperTheme. Colors with alpha and blend modes are a mystery, so I don't think I'll try to mess with them..

Another idea I may try for a next version is to group colors so the user can adjust only a group of colors instead of all.

Last edited by amagalma; 03-19-2020 at 06:37 AM.
Old 03-19-2020, 10:41 AM   #13
lucas_LCS

Quote:
...I still want to get this right: why does a mod of the default theme, needs to have the theme adjuster script duplicated and renamed? Since in the reaper-themeconfig.ini every mod that accesses the theme adjuster script can have its own settings under its own section.
see the thread for: "Is a Custom Reaper 6 Theme Adjuster needed?"

After testing with a fresh install with a fresh script, I confirmed that each theme needs it's own Adjuster script.
::
Old 03-20-2020, 01:58 AM   #14
amagalma

I read the thread and I am not sure if it applies to my script..

For example, let's forget my script and follow this example:

- Load the Default 6 theme.
- Open the Theme Tweak Window
- Change some colors (BTW this is what my script does)
- Save as new theme (let's name it Test)

Now, Test is a new theme and is loaded. If you go to Main Options->Themes->Theme Adjuster the option is greyed out. If you go to Actions->Script: Default_6.0_theme_adjuster.lua the script opens and works! (discrepancy) But it has not inherited the changes done to the Default 6 theme. However, if you make some changes here, then these are saved (in their own section in reaper-themeconfig.ini) and are remembered. No harm is done to the settings of the Default 6 and in no way the settings of one affect the other.

IMHO, this is desirable because it would be a waste of space to duplicate the Theme Adjuster under a new theme for just a change of some colors! And it follows Reaper's paradigm of not duplicating the ReaperThemeZip file when saving a new ReaperTheme via the Tweak Window.

But I see White Tie complaining about this behavior (and I certainly understand him, because he is the one who has to explain to every folk complaining about the theme and its script) and insisting that every mod (even one done for just colors via the Theme Tweak Window) has to have its own Theme Adjuster script.

I have a clear understanding of how things work as they are now, I understand when a new Theme Adjuster script is needed and when not, and have no complains about themes are handled at the moment. BUT if White Tie is not happy about how things work, or there are folks who complain (because they don't understand how things work) at the moment, then it is the devs who have to change things!

If the devs and White Tie agree that things should change, then I can offer a couple of ideas/solutions:

- When the user saves a theme in the Theme Tweak Window, if that theme has a Theme Adjuster script associated with it, then it gets duplicated automatically with the new name and its Theme Adjuster settings get inherited. To follow this paradigm and be consistent, the new Theme is not saved as a ReaperTheme in the ColorThemes directory but as a duplicated ReaperThemeZip. (this solves another problem that I mention in the second solution below)

- Alternatively, if the user saves a theme in the Theme Tweak Window, the new ReaperTheme is NOT saved in the ColorThemes directory, but is saved inside the ReaperThemeZip, and is not considered as a separate theme, but just a color variation (what it is in reality). The Theme Adjuster does not need to get duplicated, nor alternative settings need to be stored in the reaper-themeconfig.ini. But this requires that Reaper changes the way it works, so that ReaperTheme files must always be inside a ReaperThemeZip (which can hold infinite color variations - that is ReaperTheme files). BTW, this solution solves another problem encountered by users (me included in my early Reaper days): the user saves the theme via the Theme Tweak Window and believes he has really saved everything that has to do with the theme. He has his new theme the way he wants it, so why not delete the old theme? He deletes the ReaperThemeZip (which, he believes is the old theme). Tada, his theme got messed up, because all the images, rtconfig.txt etc have gone.

As I said, I am fine with how things work atm. But if it is decided that they need to change, then I prefer the second solution.

Last edited by amagalma; 03-20-2020 at 02:07 AM.
Old 03-20-2020, 03:15 AM   #15
lucas_LCS

Quote:

For example, let's forget my script and follow this example:

- Load the Default 6 theme.
- Open the Theme Tweak Window
- Change some colors (BTW this is what my script does)
- Save as new theme (let's name it Test)

Now, Test is a new theme and is loaded. If you go to Main Options->Themes->Theme Adjuster the option is greyed out. If you go to Actions->Script: Default_6.0_theme_adjuster.lua the script opens and works! (discrepancy) But it has not inherited the changes done to the Default 6 theme. However, if you make some changes here, then these are saved (in their own section in reaper-themeconfig.ini) and are remembered. No harm is done to the settings of the Default 6 and in no way the settings of one affect the other.
That's what it seemed like to me until I tried it with a fresh, portable install and found it causes issues because, as White Tie pointed out, the Adjuster had broken ties wih the default.

Quote:
If the devs and White Tie agree that things should change, then I can offer a couple of ideas/solutions:

- When the user saves a theme in the Theme Tweak Window, if that theme has a Theme Adjuster script associated with it, then it gets duplicated automatically with the new name and its Theme Adjuster settings get inherited.
I like that idea.

Quote:
To follow this paradigm and be consistent, the new Theme is not saved as a ReaperTheme in the ColorThemes directory but as a duplicated ReaperThemeZip.
This sounds good to me if implementing is not difficult.
It would eliminate people asking why their saved mod doesn't work because they forgot to also copy the original theme to a fresh Reaper install.

::

Last edited by lucas_LCS; 03-20-2020 at 03:27 AM.
lucas_LCS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2020, 04:03 AM   #16
PhelixK

Quote:
Yes, the second idea you describe would be great for the user experience, and in the future, maybe prevent Stash from becoming inundated with new theme variations, probably not of your concern, but

Also, if a theme is using a specialized theme adjuster, one that corresponds only to a specific configuration file, it is very important to be able to keep the same Adjuster script within the setup and without the user having to manually install new name variants over and over.

Ideally, I think it would be nice if the Theme Adjuster was somehow encapsulated and working within the theme package itself. This would be a much more user-friendly and polished solution.

And,
thank you very much for the latest version of your script, very cool that you managed to get it working on packed themes!

I've already made variants of the ATC script to be able to grab certain color groups in isolation. Otherwise, things are getting out of control for my needs.

Last edited by PhelixK; 03-20-2020 at 04:24 AM. Reason: spelling
PhelixK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2020, 08:14 AM   #17
amagalma

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhelixK View Post
Ideally, I think it would be nice if the Theme Adjuster was somehow encapsulated and working within the theme package itself. This would be a much more user-friendly and polished solution.
This!!

Quote:
And,
thank you very much for the latest version of your script, very cool that you managed to get it working on packed themes!

I've already made variants of the ATC script to be able to grab certain color groups in isolation. Otherwise, things are getting out of control for my needs.

Thank you! I want to add color groups in the script. I am currently thinking how to group them and what to leave outside. Any ideas?
Old 03-20-2020, 10:00 AM   #18
PhelixK

Quote:
I want to add color groups in the script. I am currently thinking how to group them and what to leave outside. Any ideas?
Very often one color tag is affecting more elements, so not super easy to separate in groups. And yes, it's essential to be able to leave some elements untouched, like if a person prefer a light Midi Editor but dark Arrangement etc.

I could suggest the list of tags I’ve been experimenting with, but they’re specifically chosen to leave a lot of 'important' elements out as I need to align it with the graphics I create. I don’t think other people can use that for anything.

Otherwise I’m thinking the usual suspects, like when entering this kind of filters in the Tweaker, e.g:

main NOT pane
empty
background OR window NOT fader
list NOT MIDI
media NOT MIDI
MIDI NOT media NOT window NOT VU
media AND item NOT MIDI

Last edited by PhelixK; 03-20-2020 at 10:07 AM.
PhelixK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2020, 03:23 PM   #19
amagalma

Following how colors are grouped in the theme tweak/configuration window, and by taking into account their names, I came up with the following groups:
Code:
groups = { "group_0","group_1","group_2","group_3","group_4","group_5","group_6","group_7","group_8","group_9","group_10","group_11","group_12","group_13","group_14","group_15","group_16","group_17","group_18","group_19","group_20","group_21","group_22","group_23","group_24","group_25","group_26","group_27","group_28","group_29","group_30","group_31","group_32","group_33","group_34","group_35","group_36","group_37","group_38","group_39","group_40","group_41","group_42","group_43","group_44","group_45","group_46","group_47","group_48","group_49","group_50","group_51","group_52","group_53","group_54","group_55","group_56","group_57","group_58","group_59","group_60","group_61","group_62","group_63" }
wiring = { "wiring_grid2","wiring_grid","wiring_border","wiring_tbg","wiring_ticon","wiring_recbg","wiring_recitem","wiring_media","wiring_recv","wiring_send","wiring_fader","wiring_parent","wiring_parentwire_border","wiring_parentwire_master","wiring_parentwire_folder","wiring_pin_normal","wiring_pin_connected","wiring_pin_disconnected","wiring_horz_col","wiring_sendwire","wiring_hwoutwire","wiring_recinputwire","wiring_hwout","wiring_recinput" }
envelopes = { "auto_item_unsel","col_env1","col_env2","col_env3","col_env4","env_track_mute","col_env5","col_env6","col_env7","col_env8","col_env9","col_env10","env_sends_mute","col_env11","col_env12","col_env13","col_env14","col_env15","col_env16","env_item_vol","env_item_pan","env_item_mute","env_item_pitch" }
dockers_tabs = { "docker_shadow","docker_selface","docker_unselface","docker_text","docker_text_sel","docker_bg","windowtab_bg" }
midieditorlist = { "midieditorlist_bg","midieditorlist_fg","midieditorlist_grid","midieditorlist_selbg","midieditorlist_selfg","midieditorlist_seliabg","midieditorlist_seliafg","midieditorlist_bg2","midieditorlist_fg2","midieditorlist_selbg2","midieditorlist_selfg2" }
midinotationeditor = { "score_bg","score_fg","score_sel","score_timesel","score_loop" }
midipiano = { "midi_pkey1","midi_pkey2","midi_pkey3","midi_noteon_flash","midi_leftbg" }
midieditornotes = { "midi_notebg","midi_notefg","midi_notemute","midi_notemute_sel","midi_itemctl","midi_ofsn","midi_ofsnsel" }
midieditors = { "midi_rulerbg","midi_rulerfg","midi_grid2","midi_grid3","midi_grid1","midi_trackbg1","midi_trackbg2","midi_trackbg_outer1","midi_trackbg_outer2","midi_selpitch1","midi_selpitch2","midi_gridhc","midi_gridh","midi_ccbut","midioct","midi_inline_trackbg1","midi_inline_trackbg2","midioct_inline","midi_endpt" }
mixertext = { "mcp_fx_normal","mcp_fx_bypassed","mcp_fx_offlined","mcp_sends_normal","mcp_sends_muted","mcp_send_midihw","mcp_sends_levels","mcp_fxparm_normal","mcp_fxparm_bypassed","mcp_fxparm_offlined" }
VU = { "col_vuclip","col_vutop","col_vumid","col_vubot","col_vuintcol","col_vumidi","col_vuind1","col_vuind2","col_vuind3","col_vuind4" }
routingmatrix = { "col_routinghl1","col_routinghl2" }
lanes_reg_mark_tsig = { "region","region_lane_bg","region_lane_text","marker","marker_lane_bg","marker_lane_text","col_tsigmark","ts_lane_bg","ts_lane_text","timesig_sel_bg" }
cursors = { "col_cursor","col_cursor2","playcursor_color","guideline_color","midi_editcurs" }
gridlines = { "col_gridlines2","col_gridlines3","col_gridlines" }
arrange = { "col_tr1_bg","col_tr2_bg","col_tr1_divline","col_tr2_divline","col_envlane1_divline","col_envlane2_divline" }
marks_on_items = { "col_mi_fades","item_grouphl","col_offlinetext","col_stretchmarker","col_stretchmarker_h0","col_stretchmarker_h1","col_stretchmarker_h2","col_stretchmarker_b","col_stretchmarker_text","col_stretchmarker_tm","take_marker" }
item_peaks = { "col_tr1_peaks","col_tr2_peaks","col_tr1_ps2","col_tr2_ps2","col_peaksedge","col_peaksedge2","col_peaksedgesel","col_peaksedgesel2","col_peaksfade1","col_peaksfade2" }
media_items = { "col_mi_label","col_mi_label_sel","col_mi_label_float","col_mi_label_float_sel","col_mi_bg","col_mi_bg2","col_tr1_itembgsel","col_tr2_itembgsel" }
transport = { "col_trans_bg","col_trans_fg","playrate_edited", "col_transport_editbk"}
timeline = { "col_tl_fg","col_tl_fg2","col_tl_bg","col_tl_bgsel2" }
fader_background = { "col_fadearm","col_fadearm2","col_fadearm3" }
empty_areas = { "col_tracklistbg","col_mixerbg","col_arrangebg","arrange_vgrid" }
tcp_text_background = { "col_tcp_text","col_tcp_textsel","col_seltrack","col_seltrack2" }
window_list = { "genlist_bg","genlist_fg","genlist_grid","genlist_selbg","genlist_selfg","genlist_seliabg","genlist_seliafg" }
io_window = { "io_text","io_3dhl","io_3dsh" }
toolbar_button = { "col_toolbar_text","col_toolbar_text_on","col_toolbar_frame" }
main_window = { "col_main_bg2","col_main_text2","col_main_textshadow","col_main_3dhl","col_main_3dsh","col_main_resize2", "col_main_text","col_main_bg","col_main_editbk" }

They are 28. Do you think they are too many and some could be merged together? The user will be able to select any he wishes, or all.
Old 03-21-2020, 03:08 AM   #20
PhelixK

Quote:
Following how colors are grouped in the theme tweak/configuration window, and by taking into account their names, I came up with the following groups
That's a great start.
It's hard to quickly analyze all those tags, what can be merged or not. Anyway to me, it's the more the merrier!

28 groups can of course be overwhelming, and in such case I can think of 6 groups which could include;

Main, backgrounds and areas
Arrangement and timeline
Items, Media and Automation.
MiDi, editor, notation etc
Windows, modal
Toolbars appearance.

As you said, it should also be easy to pick everything (huge green button!), make some color adjustments and keep working.

Old 03-27-2020, 07:10 PM   #21
amagalma

v2.00 changelog:
- Complete re-design. See here