Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > ReaScript, JSFX, REAPER Plug-in Extensions, Developer Forum

Old 10-04-2018, 09:24 PM   #1
brummbear
Human being with feelings

Default LiveBeatRepeater - Stutter effects in real time!

Description:
JSFX for live performance stutter effects, instant "on the go" sampling/looping and more. Zero latency. Synchronized to project tempo and time signature - sample accurate. Slicer can be controlled by built-in pattern sequencer or external MIDI. Works well with linear songs as well as loop based material. Mashes up nicely your rhythms on drum tracks/percussion (slice pattern sequencing allows to completely change the groove of drum loops). Great toy on voices.

Constantly samples the input and repeats what you just heard when you trigger the repeat mode. I.e. you do not have to trigger recording a loop blindly hoping it will be what you want, but you repeat what was just played.

Most fun if controlled via a MIDI/OSC hardware device (pad controller, touch screen device). E.g. Repeat On-Off to a pad, continuous Loop Length to a rotary encoder (relative mode) and stepped Loop Length to dedicated pads (one for each loop length).

Separate loop audio routing allows to conveniently feed the repeating loop into any custom fx chain. Phaser, resonant HP/LP filters with variable cut off frequency, ping pong delays etc work particularly well with the stutter and allow spontaneous live (or automated) build ups. For additional variation you can parameter modulate these effects synced to tempo (built in Reaper feature) if you are running out of hands to tweak knobs...

Plugin download here:
https://stash.reaper.fm/v/34512/LiveBeatRepeater.jsfx
or via ReaPack https://reapack.com/

================================================== ================================================
Notes:
1. The track audio that feeds into the effect is sampled while playing => track should be playing least 2 bars before initiating repeat mode for the first time. No limitations thereafter.

2. This plugin really asks to be controlled with a hardware controller. Best are pads or a touch screen but a keyboard works too. I like the free plugin "ReaLearn" from Helgoboss (https://www.helgoboss.org/projects/realearn/) because it simplifies the mapping process greatly. Attached screenshots show a mapping example incl the details for one exemplary note pad that sets the loop length to 1/2 bar when touched.

If you run into issues with linking elements of the GUI to your controller or when you want to automate or parameter link GUI elements check out this post for some hints:
https://forum.cockos.com/showpost.ph...4&postcount=79

3. In order to route the looped audio into additional fx processing set Fx Channel Routing to "Loop on separate Fx Output only". Go to pin connector and route the loop audio to track channels 3/4. From there into any fx bus on another track or to an effect sitting on 3/4 in the same track (the latter requires you to merge the audio at the end of the fx chain back onto 1/2 via e.g. the stock JS stereo mixer that comes with Reaper).

4. Built-in Pattern Sequencer (SEQ)
Pattern Slice types:

Pink: "Play First"
Red: "Play"
Black: "Skip"
Grey: "Replace/Mute". Input will be played during slice period and also put onto Fx output for further processing.Fx routing "Active Slice only" will mute slice entirely.

Left mouse click: Cycle through slice type
SHIFT + Left mouse click: Make current cell Play First
Right mouse click DRAG: Copy slice type to neighbouring pattern cells

Usage hint: Patterns that constitute an even fraction or multiple of a bar work particularly well with start trigger set to "At Next Bar".

5. Slicer controlled by MIDI Control (MIDI)
Slice types:

Red: Play (triggered by MIDI note on)
Grey: Replace/Mute. Input will be played during slice period and also put onto Fx output for further processing. Fx routing "Active Slice only" will mute slice entirely.

While Loop-Repeat is on MIDI note on/off events are immediately effective, i.e. it is possible to trigger a slice in very short order even if slice length is long. MIDI sequencing precisely follows sequencer input with sample accurate audio-to-MIDI sync.

MIDI Loop-Repeat:

Manual: Loop must be triggered via Loop-Repeat.
Auto-On: First valid MIDI note on event triggers loop automatically.
Auto-On/Off: Use this to play individual slices "on the go" for "stream sampling". Slice starts at chosen Loop Start setting, slice fade out according to Loop Fade Out setting.

MIDI 1st slice Trigger: MIDI note which triggers the righmost slice; slices to the left are triggered with decreasing notes.

Usage hint: Slices can be played like an instrument or sequenced via MIDI. MIDI sequencing allows unlimited rhythmic variations irrespective of slice length (try staccatos, breakbeats etc).

6. Freeze/Recall
Freezes a playing loop buffer instantly. Can recall a previous buffer even if that buffer was not frozen while playing (see recall indicator bar in button).
If activated also keeps buffer when stopping.

================================================== ================================================
Changelog
Edit 2020-10-30:
Release V1.50
- Added multiple MIDI control options for grid based slicer
- Added GUI mouse controls for manipulation of Slice Start/End and Slice Move (new).
- Allow manipulation of Slice Start/End while pattern is playing and terminate pattern mode immediately
- Added GUI indicator to show if plugin is in QUANTIZE mode
- Improved behavior when length transitions are set to "At Next Beat"

Edit 2020-10-18:
Release V1.30
- Added Slice Pattern Sequencer*
- Added Loop Freeze/Recall feature*
- Added new routing option
- Added vertical zoom slider for waveform
- Fixed wrong beat/bar length calculations for certain time signatures (Reaper's tempo is actually QPM, not BPM)
- Fixed slice start calculation when changing Slice Start Pos slider (was off by 1 sample)

*Note: Switching Pattern Sequencer on/off and Freeze/Recall can be automated just like other non hidden sliders

Edit 2020-10-09:
Release V1.20:
- Visualize sampled waveform, playhead and loop area
- Allow manipulation of loop start and loop end position during loop repeat

Edit 2020-09-30:
Release V1.12:
- 3 different loop fade algorithms selectable by user
- Updated Fx routing options
- Added loop start, loop end and playhead indicators (cannot be manipulated yet)
- Improve memory management
- Fixed bug during loop fade out when reversing

Edit 2020-09-24:
Release V1.10:
New features:
- Loop Direction: Forward or Reverse
Improvements:
- Loop fade in: Better slope extrapolation algorithm to reduce high frequency artefacts in spectrum

Edit 2020-09-19:
Release V1.04: Improvements
- Sample accurate time sync: Loop Start at next beat or bar now sample accurate in time
- Fade in: Loop starts with fade-in on extrapolated slope from loop end to reduce audio artefacts

Edit 2020-06-09:
Release V1.03: Added Features
- Additional Loop Lengths ("Triplets" and as short as 1/128)
- Logarithmic scaling of continuous loop length slider

Edit 2018-10-12:
Release V1.02: Added Features
- Continuous Loop Length Change Slider. Map this one to a rotary encoder in relative mode! When used the loop length transitions will happen immediately while repeat mode is on. When repeat mode switches back to off the plugin automatically goes back to stepped mode.

Edit 2018-10-10:
Release V1.01: Minor bug fix
- fixed loop soft fade out inconsistency when repeat mode is on for a longer time than 2 bars

Edit 2018-10-09:
First "official" release V1.0 after fixing the most important issues. Now with a second audio buffer which removes previous limitations when switching repeat mode on/off in short cycles. Enjoy!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ReaLearn-1.jpg (45.6 KB, 812 views)
File Type: jpg ReaLearn-2.jpg (45.9 KB, 662 views)

Last edited by brummbear; 11-01-2020 at 10:50 PM. Reason: Release v1.50
brummbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2018, 02:10 AM   #2
X-Raym

Thx for sharing !

even if Repeat length parameter is discrete internnaly (1/4, //8 etc...), it would be better if it was exposed as continuous, so that we can update from 1/4 to 1/32 (for eg) with only a ramp (two point).

Current mode is by adding a square point at each step.
X-Raym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2018, 12:44 AM   #3
brummbear

Thx for the feedback X-Raym!

I can see your point and have added a hidden slider ("Repeat Length", updated file in stash) for automation envelope curves as an alternative to the stepped input. It is only useful for automation edits and not so much for live use (which is the main focus of the plugin) because I found that JS effects do not always report the slider change reliably if either the mouse is still on the slider and clicked or even with linked MIDI CC when the controller sends continuous MIDI streams (weird). That sometimes results in delayed changes of the loop length which sucks when used live. The stepped slider has no such issues. Taken from the automation envelope the continuous slider changes work flawlessly. That's why the continuous slider is hidden and only exposed in the track envelopes. It is coupled with the stepped input - you have the choice, both sliders follow each other.

PS: I find that even for editing the stepped envelope is more useful because it gives you precise control when the loop length changes. With curves it is a lot of trial and error (e.g. bezier tension) to get nice sounding transitions.

EDIT:
The hidden slider has been replaced in V1.02 with the Continuous Loop Length Change Slider. The latter works both live as well as for automation.

Last edited by brummbear; 10-21-2018 at 03:50 AM. Reason: change in V1.02
Old 10-06-2018, 02:10 AM   #4
X-Raym

Ok thx, it worths testing ! :P
X-Raym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2018, 05:59 AM   #5
todd_r

Thanks brummbear would it be possible to add a button instead of a dropdown to initiate it, would be a lot easier when playing with it live, rather than vie automation. Also buttons or checkboxes for the repeat length would be handier than a dropdown
todd_r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2018, 07:11 AM   #6
timbralzoom

lovely one!
Thank you so much!
timbralzoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2018, 01:38 PM   #7
zookthespook

Used this yesterday
Fantastic !
Thank you
Zook
zookthespook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2018, 03:55 PM   #8
brummbear

Updated version (in stash) with choices for loop transition timing and soft fade out when ending the repeat cycle.
Old 10-08-2018, 05:34 AM   #9
Nantho

This one is really fun !

Thank you very much

Can't wait to play with the future new features !
Nantho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2018, 05:59 PM   #10
brummbear

New version in stash.
Changes:
* additional loop transition timing choices
* separate loop audio routing (switchable!). This allows to feed only the looping audio into any fx chain. Much more flexible than built-in effects. Go to pin connector and route the loop audio to track channels 3/4. From there into any fx bus track or within the same track (the latter requires that you merge the audio at the end via e.g. the built in JS stero mixer).

Last edited by brummbear; 10-09-2018 at 05:52 PM.
Old 10-09-2018, 12:06 AM   #11
brummbear

Quote:
Originally Posted by todd_r View Post
Thanks brummbear would it be possible to add a button instead of a dropdown to initiate it, would be a lot easier when playing with it live, rather than vie automation. Also buttons or checkboxes for the repeat length would be handier than a dropdown
I agree that using the drop downs with the mouse is not much fun. I wrote this plugin to be used with a hardware controller as it really aims at a live workflow. While your suggestion would be an improvement it would still be far from ideal - the mouse is just not right for this. Have you tried with some MIDI mapping? Even a keyboard works. I have attached some pics now with exemplary mapping.
Old 01-15-2019, 06:41 AM   #12
Vagelis

Nice one! Any chance to add tripplets,dotted and reverse in the future? Thanks!
Vagelis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2019, 08:28 PM   #13
brummbear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vagelis View Post
Nice one! Any chance to add tripplets,dotted and reverse in the future? Thanks!
Yup, that should be fairly easy. Actually, I am thinking of adding a scrub/scratch function at some point, i.e. allowing to control the direction and playback speed of the loop on the fly. Unfortunately I am really busy with other things these days and it will take some time before I can look into this.
Old 02-05-2019, 01:40 PM   #14
Vagelis

That would be cool
No worries take your time, i'm looking forward when ever you 're ready.
Cheers!
Old 05-15-2019, 03:49 PM   #15
Ampa

Thanks for this effect. Really appreciate you work.

Already useful and fun to play with. Would love to see it develop when you have the time / inclination.

Ampa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2019, 05:22 PM   #16
TonE

Could you add euclidian rhythms to this?
TonE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2019, 11:14 PM   #17
brummbear

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonE View Post
Could you add euclidian rhythms to this?
Hah, interesting idea! Need to try this!

You mean trigger it to repeat/stutter in euclidean rhythms?

I guess the easiest way is to simply learn a corresponding rhythm generator to the inputs. Straight forward would be to learn it to Repeat ON/OFF and set Loop Start to immediately. For simple sequences one can then set the Loop Length to e.g. 1/16 and the Length Transition to Loop End (for fixed 1/16th "note" lengths). But one could even leave the note length control to the generator: Setting the Loop Length to a longer value (say 1 bar) and setting Length Transition to immediately. In that way the generator determines the "note" length on top of the rhythm.

There are a couple of interesting free euclidean generators out there...

EDIT:
Ok, I just tried this with Euklid. https://mikemorenoaudio.wordpress.co...nerator-guide/

Produces interesting results with percussion/drumtracks. It can turn monotonous drum patters into groovy rhythms - quite usable! I did not get any satisfying results with voice or complex audio tracks though.

Last edited by brummbear; 05-17-2019 at 12:42 AM.
Old 05-16-2019, 11:22 PM   #18
brummbear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ampa View Post
Thanks for this effect. Really appreciate you work.

Already useful and fun to play with. Would love to see it develop when you have the time / inclination.

Thank you, glad you have some use for it. I am certainly motivated to develop it further, in particular add live scratching effects to it. However, it may take a while since I am overly busy with other things in life. In terms of audio I recently got entangled in writing some Reaper integration support code for my latest keyboard acquisition... this will distract me even more. Once this episode is over I may revisit LiveBeatRepeater. You will be notified in case you manage the install it via ReaPack.
Old 04-24-2020, 03:47 AM   #19
Aleskis

Hi,

I come to the news in these free times of social distancing. First of all, thank you for your job on this simple and hyper efficient plugin. I love it.
I was wondering if there are any updates planned in the near future ? At least just for times above 1/32 and tripled values ? I tried to edit the code myself to add it. Total failure.
Thank you for all and have an excellent Friday !
Old 06-09-2020, 07:10 PM   #20
brummbear

Updated version
Release V1.03: Added Features
- Additional Loop Lengths ("Triplets" and as short as 1/128)
- Logarithmic scaling of continuous loop length slider

Have fun!
Old 06-10-2020, 02:40 AM   #21
Vagelis

Thank you!!
Old 06-10-2020, 02:55 AM   #22
Vagelis

Just tried it and is really nice!

One thing that it would be nice, would be to be able and choose separately straight , tripplets or all together as it is now. Especially with the slider it would help when someone wants to change only the rhythm to straight or just tripplets or all together.
Old 06-10-2020, 10:52 AM   #23
brummbear

Hi Vagelis,

The slider "Loop Length (Continuous Mode)" is not really intended for what you seemingly try to do. It does actually enable any loop length (that's why I named it "continuous"). It does not just flick through the fixed lengths of the slider above, i.e. it is not some form of automation for the stepped lengths.

When you move "Loop Length (Continuous Mode)" the loop length gradually changes (you can see the number value change gradually). The field "Loop Length (Stepped Mode)" will flick to the closest matching interval just as a visually helping indicator where you roughly are. But, again, as long as you move the continuous slider the loop lengths are not exactly what is shown in the stepped mode field, but change gradually. When you switch Repeat to OFF or when you change the length to something else in "Loop Length (Stepped Mode)" it will go back to the exact length (and you can see that as the number field for continuous loop length also changes to the exact matching value again).

Now, if you want to just flick through exact stepped lengths then you have to automate that very parameter (not the continuous mode slider). Personally, I do not see much use for a rotary encoder or fader to flick through the stepped lengths. I recommend to use dedicated pads/buttons on a HW controller.

But if it is what you want you can of course automate it as is right now. You can also just flick through straight or triplet intervals without much effort. You could for example simply add another slider that only selects the straight intervals of slider2, another one for the triplet intervals of slider2 or whatever combo you want. Then you automate those newly added sliders.
Old 06-20-2020, 06:12 PM   #24
brummbear

Quick note rg previously mentioned roadmap for LiveBeatRepeater:

As mentioned earlier I considered adding scrubbing and reversing. For now I have decided to implement these features in a new separate plugin LiveScrubberDucky for more flexibility. You can get it here: https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=238590

LiveScrubberDucky can be chained with LiveBeatRepeater for rhythmic scratching.
Old 09-15-2020, 01:54 PM   #25
tapemelancholy

Nice plugin!
Really fun to use!

Is it possible to add a fade in?
Very often it makes really loud digital clicks
tapemelancholy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2020, 05:19 PM   #26
brummbear

Quote:
Originally Posted by tapemelancholy View Post
Nice plugin!
Really fun to use!

Is it possible to add a fade in?
Very often it makes really loud digital clicks
Hmm, not exactly sure what you mean. Can you describe in more detail please? Do you mean cross fades between loop start and loop end, or just the first loop fades in?
Old 09-16-2020, 05:08 AM   #27
tapemelancholy

Quote:
Originally Posted by brummbear View Post
Hmm, not exactly sure what you mean. Can you describe in more detail please? Do you mean cross fades between loop start and loop end, or just the first loop fades in?
I'm talking about very beginning of the loop (when i set repeater to on). Because it always a cut of audio there is a diginal click sometimes.
It will be great to have a smooth loop cut

i've made a quick demo to demonstrate it:
https://stash.reaper.fm/40347/beatrepeat%20demo.mp3

Also, sometimes there is a strange left/right skewness, I'm not sure if it's a bug or feature

All in all, that is a great plugin, i will definitely use it in my lives
Old 09-18-2020, 01:43 PM   #28
brummbear

It is an interesting problem/task. The amount of and probability of abrupt changes (which causes the "clicking") depends of course on both the material that you chop and the settings that you use - notably "Loop Start" and "Length Transitions" settings when working with rhythmic or even beat matched material.

Since the plugin allows quite some freedom to change the loop length (immediate changes, continuous mode) it is not trivial to implement smoothing. For example, a soft fade in (starting from zero volume) would still cause clicking because the last samples of the loop are still different from zero volume.

I can think of three approaches:
1) Short fade in for the loop start and short fade out for the loop end
-> this will lead to some degree of volume pumping but could be ok (?)

2) Short fade in and cross fading the loop beginning onto the loop end
-> this would lead to less pumping than 1) and create the smoothest loops but it could go wrong if you change the loop start (immediate or continuous mode) while being in the cross fade area of the loop end

3) Gradual sample approximation at loop start, i.e. slowly approach the sample target values over a short transition time with the start value being the last sample played.
-> this will still leave some clicking / spectral pops but should smooth out the most gnarly jumps in sample values

I will look into these at some point... don't know yet when I find the time

EDIT:
Took a look at it and have found a reasonable way to make transitions smoother. The next version will use approach 3) with a 10ms fade in taking into account the sample(s) at the loop end including their slope for a nice transition. Another improvement in the next version will be sample accurate loop start timing when you chose "at next beat" or "at next bar". Until now it was not sample accurate but within audio buffer tolerances. New version should be available in the coming days.

Last edited by brummbear; 09-19-2020 at 02:10 PM.
Old 09-19-2020, 11:55 PM   #29
brummbear

Default V1.04

Updated Version
- Sample accurate time sync: Loop Start at next beat or bar now sample accurate in time
- Fade in: Loop starts with fade-in on interpolated slope from loop end to reduce audio artefacts
Old 09-20-2020, 02:12 AM   #30
tapemelancholy

Quote:
Updated Version
- Fade in: Loop starts with fade-in on interpolated slope from loop end to reduce audio artefacts
Thank you!
Works like a charm!
Old 09-21-2020, 09:39 AM   #31
mccrabney

thanks for these two cool plugins. i do a lot of stutter editing manually on the Arrange, but this looks like a much more fun way to do it. one less flashy application for this kind of thing is stuttering while fading a sample that doesn't have a nice ringout to it. it's more rhythmic than trying to smooth out the tail with reverb. i can't wait to build a controller mapping for it, and the ScrubberDucky plugin.

i have a small FR: as an option, could you allow the unmodified audio to pass through LiveBeatRepeater even when the Repeater is engaged? right now, enabling Repeat stops playback.

perhaps a 3rd option in "FX channel routing:"

1- combined main output
2- Loop on Separate FX output only
3- dry on Main, Loop on Separate.

i know this could be done with routing, but it'd be nice to skip a step.
mccrabney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2020, 01:13 PM   #32
TonE

Quote:
Originally Posted by mccrabney View Post
i have a small FR: as an option, could you allow the unmodified audio to pass through LiveBeatRepeater even when the Repeater is engaged? right now, enabling Repeat stops playback.

1- combined main output

Using wet parameter does not help?
TonE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2020, 01:55 PM   #33
mccrabney

^ ah, of course. thanks.
mccrabney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2020, 12:17 AM   #34
brummbear

Default V1.10

Updated Version
Release V1.10:
New features:
- Loop Direction: Forward or Reverse
Improvements:
- Loop fade in: Better slope extrapolation algorithm to reduce high frequency artefacts in spectrum

The reversing option (finally!) was somewhat overdue... Your controller mappings may have to be updated with this release due to the additional direction feature and renaming of sliders.

When changing loop direction while Repeat is ON:
- the loop playback direction changes immediately
- changes of the loop length while reversing are also effective immediately even if in stepped mode with the length transition set to next beat or loop end.
This means that when switching directions while Repeat is ON a time synchronization of the loop start with beat/bar will get lost due to the immediate nature of changing direction (rather than changing direction only at measure). It has like a "freewheeling / scratchy" feel. Maybe I will add an option in a future version to also synchronize changes of direction to a measure.

On that bombshell: have fun with having it both ways

Last edited by brummbear; 09-24-2020 at 05:42 PM. Reason: more detailed explanation of behavior when changing directions
Old 09-24-2020, 12:27 AM   #35
Vagelis

Awesome!Thank you very much for the reverse function
Old 09-24-2020, 01:36 PM   #36
brummbear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mccrabney View Post

1- combined main output

sounds like a good idea as it makes life a bit simpler. will include this in the next update (together with another idea that I still have to test)
Old 09-24-2020, 01:49 PM   #37
gwok

Hello, thank you for this great plugin.

Do you think there would be a way to accuratley do/implement 5 and 7 tuplets?

Also, I am using the Continuous Mode for different loops lengths, but it keeps resetting to the nearest Stepped Mode increment when I turn off Repeat.

Just some thoughts. thanks!
gwok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2020, 05:16 PM   #38
brummbear

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwok View Post
Do you think there would be a way to accuratley do/implement 5 and 7 tuplets?
Sure, that would be easy. You can add any measure that you want - also more exotic ones - without much coding know how. If you go to the editor you can see a function at the top that returns the inverse of the fractional loop length of a bar, e.g. 4 for 1/4bar, or 6 for a 1/4 triplet (= 2/3 the duration of a normal quarter note = 1/6 of a bar in a 4/4 bar).

You would add in this section the length you want and add that measure also to the slider to choose from. E.g. for a 16th quintuplet you would use the value of 20 (dividing 1 bar into 20 equal intervals)....

Quote:
Also, I am using the Continuous Mode for different loops lengths, but it keeps resetting to the nearest Stepped Mode increment when I turn off Repeat.
This is by design and meant as a convenience for most situations! If you have a use case where you want some exotic "hand tweaked" length to persist you only need to set Length Transitions" to "Immediately". Then the the plugin will keep that length also when you switch Repeat to OFF. I think this makes the most sense because if you are transitioning exactly on measures you would normally also want the lengths to be a fraction or multiple of a measure (= stepped mode) so that over time the loop start will fall on a measure again.
Old 09-24-2020, 05:38 PM   #39
gwok

Quote:

You would add in this section the length you want and add that measure also to the slider to choose from. E.g. for a 16th quintuplet you would use the value of 20 (dividing 1 bar into 20 equal intervals)....
awesome, thanks! I'll do that!!

Quote:

This is by design and meant as a convenience for most situations! If you have a use case where you want some exotic "hand tweaked" length to persist you only need to set Length Transitions" to "Immediately".

ah great, didn't realize that, thanks!!

ps* thought of trying your hand at a granular time stretcher??
gwok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2020, 08:56 AM   #40
Vagelis

Hi brummbear, would it be possible to add visual representation of the waveform that's coming though the buffer, too see better what part of it is being frozen? Also a start position to scroll through the buffer would be great if possible