Old 07-04-2015, 02:11 AM   #1
junh1024
Human being with feelings

Default Surround tools/MIDI/Scripts JSFX

https://github.com/junh1024/Reaper-Surround/

Ambisonics (FuMa), (Many more not listed)

* 1.0 to 3oA 3D Panner (S).txt
* 2.0 to 3oA 2D Panner (M).txt
* 3oA Rotator (M).txt
* 4.0 Ambisonics codec.txt (padded to 5.1)
* 7.1 Ambisonics decoder.txt
* 1oA 3D cube decoder v3.txt
* 15.1 to 3oA Downmix (M).txt

Surround Tools (Many more not listed)

* 1.0 to 5.1 Panner GUI (M).txt
* 1.0 to 15.1 Panner GUI (M).txt

* 2.0 to 5.0 Upmix V3 (L).txt
* 5.1 to 7.1 Upmix V3 (M).txt
* 5.1 to 3D Upmix (L).txt

* 5.1 Level Control.txt
* 5.1 Mix Control (M).txt

* 15.1 to 3D Downmix (M).txt for Auro3D & AMBEO 5.1.4, Atmos Base 7.1.2, DTS-X Base & MPEG-H 7.1.4, and Atmos 9.1.6
* 7.1 to 5.1 Downmix (M).txt
* 5.1 to 2.0 Downmix (L).txt

Download: https://github.com/junh1024/Reaper-S...ive/master.zip

Last edited by junh1024; 01-21-2021 at 11:13 PM.
junh1024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2019, 03:43 PM   #2
junh1024

Bump, new tools.
Old 01-13-2019, 04:00 PM   #3
LowlyOP

I may try it in just a bit.

Does the script regarding deletion of <20ms fades apply automatically or per user action / contextually?
LowlyOP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2019, 07:09 PM   #4
junh1024

Quote:
Originally Posted by LowlyOP View Post
I may try it in just a bit.

Does the script regarding deletion of <20ms fades apply automatically or per user action / contextually?
for selected items, per run.
Old 01-13-2019, 07:49 PM   #5
LowlyOP

One more pre-use question; can the crossfade slopes for the Input Cross Fader be customized?

Thanks
LowlyOP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2019, 12:44 AM   #6
junh1024

Quote:
Originally Posted by LowlyOP View Post
One more pre-use question; can the crossfade slopes for the Input Cross Fader be customized?

Thanks
It currently uses a equal power/cos/-3dB slope. Pan law is not parametric for this tool. (but you can change the code). I have lots of surround tools with faders, some have a parametric pan law. I don't think they can be abused for a DJ-style mixer, but they may have other uses.
Old 01-21-2020, 12:55 AM   #7
junh1024

Bump, new BPM scripts
Old 08-09-2020, 05:42 PM   #8
X-Raym

What an impressive set of FX !
Thx for sharing ! it can make people I know quite happy.

How did you made all that
.. and how do I miss it ? ^^

Anyway, consider making this reapack compatible it will make update process easier

Also on your readme.md, a link to this thread and your forum cockos user profile can help people give feedbacks :P
X-Raym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2020, 06:44 PM   #9
junh1024

Thanks. There's a few big additions this year, I haven't updated this thread tho.

Quote:
How did you made all that
Over a number of years. It started out as a need. I need X, so I make it (rather annoying when you need to make something to complete a project).

2014: I begin with simple FX & maths, spl0=-(spl2-spl0) etc
2015: I can use cos & sin, so I can make panners
2016: mid/side stuff, I can make passive surround upscalers
2017: I begin dabbing in ambisonics.
2018: 2 modified MIDI FX, a bunch of python reascripts
2019: mid/side & Metrics collection, I can make reactive surround upscalers & FX
2020: I can make simple GUI displays, and I use templates by geraintluff & Tale to make FFT FX

Basically the biggest problem & this is true for everything, is that you know what you want to make, but what's the code?

Is this the answer you were expecting?

Quote:
.. and how do I miss it ? ^^
Yeah it's not in reapeack, not included FX, not really promoted (apart from me), and not many reascripts with GIFs which demonstrates that it's immediately useful for everyone so it's not that sexy. But if you look hard enough there's probably something for everyone, maybe in terms of FX.

Quote:
Anyway, consider making this reapack compatible it will make update process easier
ok, but when is a good time to insert into reapack? It's a bit messy atm & I wanna make some more FX before I do

Quote:
Also on your readme.md, a link to this thread and your forum cockos user profile can help people give feedbacks :P
done
Old 08-11-2020, 03:57 AM   #10
X-Raym

Quote:
Is this the answer you were expecting?
Definitely !

Quote:
ok, but when is a good time to insert into reapack?
Any time ! It doesn't matter that it is not "ready", it is just make distribution and update easiers.
Just put warnings in your readme, or use version number below 1.0 (this is kind o a convention to say that it is in beta, like v0.5, v0.6 etc).

I don't personnaly do surround, but this might help people who want to digg this :P
Old 08-11-2020, 05:34 PM   #11
nvk

Surround Pan 3 is especially exciting, since it is one of the best 7.1 panners I've seen for Reaper and would be super useful for post audio. I'm curious if you are thinking of continuing development on it, because I'd like to help out.

I noticed there was a bug where you couldn't write automation using the gfx UI since you had some slider calls that weren't under the @slider header which means they don't automatically update. I put in a quick fix by adding

slider_automate(slider1);
sliderchange(slider1);

under the areas that were doing slider calls, but perhaps these sections could be moved so they are under the header.

I also enlarged the puck so that it works better as an embedded tcp UI and got rid of the volume spheres since they were using too much cpu.

I've attached my modified version in case you are interested.
Attached Files
File Type: txt Surround Pan 3 - Nick.txt (46.8 KB, 211 views)
nvk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2020, 06:19 PM   #12
junh1024

Quote:
Originally Posted by nvk View Post
Surround Pan 3 is especially exciting, since it is one of the best 7.1 panners I've seen for Reaper
It's actually NOT mine, but by Anomaly, but he gave it to me to put in my repo. I've updated the zip anyway, thanks.

I DO have a GUI 7.1 panner as "1.0 to 15.1 Panner GUI (L).txt" in 2D mode, but it's missing center.
Old 08-11-2020, 06:33 PM   #13
sonictim

Default Awesome Work!

Very excited to discover this panner. I'm just using it in 5.1, but it's been working great. Nick's little tweaks actually helped it a lot. Another thing he added, was an adjustment for the smoothing, which is very helpful for fast pans, or when automation needs to change quickly in a film setting.

This is really a blessing. I've been looking for a good panner that does everything I need from a post production standpoint, and it looks like you've finally delivered (with help from Anomaly). Thank you!

Reapack is SUPER easy. What's great is as you develop, and update, users get them too, so you can post something that's not quite finished yet and then as you work on it, it will update everyone.

If you are looking to update it at all, I have a couple of suggestions/ideas I'd be happy to share with you.

Anyway, just wanted to say thank you for this! It's going to really be an amazing tool! And again to Nick for your awesome tweaks!
sonictim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2020, 08:44 PM   #14
junh1024

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonictim View Post
If you are looking to update it at all, I have a couple of suggestions/ideas I'd be happy to share with you.
You can comment on the stuff, I'll see if it's sensible/feasible to implement in the future. I'm working on a few projects atm so a bit busy.
Old 08-11-2020, 10:37 PM   #15
sonictim

Okay, this is based on the Nick update. I reached out to him with the same list not knowing yet how to get ahold of you. Who knows, maybe you can divide and conquer. These are my ideas in the order of importance to me.

1.) Ability to click one of the orange squares and bring the last touched puck to it. This would be especially useful for quick adjustments when embedded in the TCP GUI

2.) When pucks are overlapping, not having them stick together. I think the GUI thinks i'm grabbing both and I have to go to the Sliders to bring one out from behind the other. Would love to be able to solve this in the GUI also if possible. Perhaps it can remember the last touch puck (similar to my request from #1) and choose to move that first

3.) Input source grouping seems to only work with input (puck) 1. It would be nice if it worked with any puck I grab

4.). Center Percentage when in 5.1 or up. I know I can just automate to quad mode (which is a super awesome feature by the way! Love it!)... but sometimes it's nice to have a little center in there. There are other ways to solve this (same sound, one panned l/r in quad mode and the other to center, then adjust volume on track), but to have it in the panner would be nice.

5.) Divergence (ability to spread the sound field) out/bleed into other speakers. I LOVE how discreet this panner is but sometimes you want to spread your sound field out a bit while you pan. This is a feature I don't actually use very often, but is great when I need it.

Already, given how this plugin sounds and moves it's a step above anything else I've tried in reaper. I'm so thankful to have it. If any of these are easy fixes and you feel like implementing, that would be awesome! If not, I'm pretty happy with where it's at. Thanks for listening!
Old 08-12-2020, 01:47 AM   #16
junh1024

Quote:
5.) Divergence (ability to spread the sound field) out/bleed into other speakers. I LOVE how discreet this panner is but sometimes you want to spread your sound field out a bit while you pan. This is a feature I don't actually use very often, but is great when I need it.
Anomaly's panner looks quite modular & it's not in a style i would usually program in & I don't feel comfortable touching his code. So Nick can do this if he wants to.

For bleeding, "2.0 to 5.0 Upmix V3 (L).txt" in https://github.com/junh1024/Reaper-S...ive/master.zip should handle some of your needs. You will need to install the entire pack (or just its prerequisites, it will tell you what you're missing.)

I might make a new, simple 1>5 GUI panner tho

Last edited by junh1024; 08-12-2020 at 01:53 AM.
Old 08-12-2020, 03:58 AM   #17
sonictim

Awesome! I'll look into it! Thanks so much!
Old 08-13-2020, 06:40 AM   #18
svijayrathinam

Quote:
Originally Posted by junh1024 View Post
Anomaly's panner looks quite modular & it's not in a style i would usually program in & I don't feel comfortable touching his code. So Nick can do this if he wants to.

For bleeding, "2.0 to 5.0 Upmix V3 (L).txt" in https://github.com/junh1024/Reaper-S...ive/master.zip should handle some of your needs. You will need to install the entire pack (or just its prerequisites, it will tell you what you're missing.)

I might make a new, simple 1>5 GUI panner tho
First of all Thank you junh1024. You have solved the biggest issue for people who are doing film post work in reaper !! Great work. I love this new surround panner. Just like sonictim, I have reached out to nick not knowing how to contact you. Big Thx to X - Raym who helped find this brilliant set of surround tools.

Here is a list of things I would love to see updated.

I have a few more requests. Pls see if you can change them.

1. Can you make the pan puck even bigger pls ? - UPDATE : This is fixed now. When I downloaded the latest "bleeding edge" the pan pucks looks nice and big and easier to grab. Not sure who did this Nick or yourself. Whoever it is thank you so much.

2. When I have the input source grouping on, it only allows me to move the left pan puck as you would expect. When I grab the right one..it makes the pan width smaller. I would say there should be a seperate width control.

3. it would be nice to have a modifier key command for input source grouping. For example. Holding Command should do input source grouping, Holding Control Should lock the movements in a straight line (Y Axis Movement only). Holding Control + Shift should lock the movements in a diagonal line. Holding Option should lock the movements to only X axis Pans. Holding Option Shift Should allow rotation or spin. Something like this will really be very useful !

4. Pls put this on reapack so it will be easier for the users to update.

5. it would be very useful if this surround panner's UI can be embedded in TCP and MCP

6. Do you have a link for donations ? I would love to contribute for such a development. I am sure all the people who missed a good surround panner so far in reaper would also contribute.

Thank you very much..I am loving this !!

Last edited by svijayrathinam; 08-13-2020 at 06:59 AM.
svijayrathinam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2020, 06:24 PM   #19
junh1024

Quote:
Originally Posted by svijayrathinam View Post
First of all Thank you junh1024. You have solved the biggest issue for people who are doing film post work in reaper !! Great work. I love this new surround panner. Just like sonictim, I have reached out to nick not knowing how to contact you. Big Thx to X - Raym who helped find this brilliant set of surround tools.
As I said, i did NOT make "Surround Pan 3 ", it is by Anomaly https://forum.cockos.com/member.php?u=6341 , and modified by Nick (nvk). I did make the other tools in the pack. Anomaly doesn't seem to be responsive, & I won't make code changes to "Surround Pan 3 " . If you want to donate for "Surround Pan 3 ", PM Anomaly &/ Nick.

Last edited by junh1024; 08-14-2020 at 11:17 PM.
Old 08-14-2020, 02:25 AM   #20
junh1024

I have made NEW 1.0 > 5.1 panner, called "1.0 to 5.1 Panner GUI (L).txt"

DL: https://github.com/junh1024/Reaper-S...ive/master.zip . You need to install everything since many depend on each other.

It's simple, works, and MCP compatible.

Quote:
4.). Center Percentage when in 5.1 or up.
width feature.

Quote:
Originally Posted by svijayrathinam View Post
3. it would be nice to have a modifier key command for input source grouping.
SHIF & CTRL/CMD(mac) restrict to Y & X.

I DID make "1.0 to 5.1 Panner GUI (L).txt".

Last edited by junh1024; 08-28-2020 at 05:56 PM.
Old 08-16-2020, 10:49 PM   #21
timothys_monster

Hey Junh,

I am just starting to get my head around all these great tools and since I was looking for a 5.0 downmixer the other day, they would come in really handy!

Any chance to add your repo the ReaPack? I didn't see any link so far...

Great work and thanks for sharing so generously!!!
timothys_monster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2020, 07:18 PM   #22
RobinGShore

Quote:
Originally Posted by nvk View Post
Surround Pan 3 is especially exciting, since it is one of the best 7.1 panners I've seen for Reaper and would be super useful for post audio. I'm curious if you are thinking of continuing development on it, because I'd like to help out.

I noticed there was a bug where you couldn't write automation using the gfx UI since you had some slider calls that weren't under the @slider header which means they don't automatically update. I put in a quick fix by adding

slider_automate(slider1);
sliderchange(slider1);

under the areas that were doing slider calls, but perhaps these sections could be moved so they are under the header.

I also enlarged the puck so that it works better as an embedded tcp UI and got rid of the volume spheres since they were using too much cpu.

I've attached my modified version in case you are interested.
Hey Nick (nvk), hopefully you're still following this thread and will see this. I'm wondering if you'd be able to make some more changes to surround pan 3. It has a lot of potential as a great panner for post-production, but I'm still having some trouble with it even with the modifications you made. Could the puck be even bigger? I have the gui shrunk down pretty small when I embed it in a track and the puck get so tiny that it becomes difficult to consistently hit with the mouse. Also there's is a black border around the edges of the gui that expands inward as the gui gets smaller, leaving less usable space. Here's a screen shot so you can see what I'm talking about. There's also an instance of ReaSurround included so you can compare puck sizes. As you can see the puck in ReaSurround is much larger and easier to grab.

The other problem I am having is that it does not automate properly from the gui if the track is in touch mode. Works fine if I use the sliders, but when using the gui the envelopes continously fight back against me and I end up with envelopes that look like this
RobinGShore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2020, 12:51 PM   #23
Ice

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobinGShore View Post
The other problem I am having is that it does not automate properly from the gui if the track is in touch mode. Works fine if I use the sliders, but when using the gui the envelopes continously fight back against me and I end up with envelopes that look like this
I've had this same problem for a loooong time, with lots of 3rd party plugins. I have to use latch instead of touch for lots. Its a bummer and I have to use" Automation: Clear all track envelope latches" as an "auto-match out" of latch.
Ice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2020, 02:45 PM   #24
junh1024

[QUOTE=RobinGShore;2334598]Hey
The other problem I am having is that it does not automate properly from the gui if the track is in touch mode./QUOTE]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ice View Post
I've had this same problem for a loooong time, with lots of 3rd party plugins. I have to use latch instead of touch for lots. Its a bummer and I have to use" Automation: Clear all track envelope latches" as an "auto-match out" of latch.
Have you tried my panner from this post (aka 1/2 posts up)?

https://forum.cockos.com/showpost.ph...6&postcount=20

Getting it in Reapack will be tricky since it started in 2014, when reapack wasn't a thing, & it's very large.

Last edited by junh1024; 08-28-2020 at 10:12 PM.
Old 09-16-2020, 02:59 PM   #25
RobinGShore

Quote:

Have you tried my panner from this post (aka 1/2 posts up)?

https://forum.cockos.com/showpost.ph...6&postcount=20

Getting it in Reapack will be tricky since it started in 2014, when reapack wasn't a thing, & it's very large.
Wow your 5.1 panner looks very nice, not sure how I missed it before. The gui works great for embedding in the TCP and MCP, even when it's shrunk down really small. Unfortunately it has the same automation problem as the sonic anomaly panner that I posted about a few weeks ago. If the track is in touch mode and I try to automate from the gui the envelopes continously fight back against me and I end up with envelopes that look like this:

Is it possible to fix this or is this bug with all jsfx guis?
Old 09-17-2020, 02:32 AM   #26
junh1024

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobinGShore View Post
The gui works great for embedding in the TCP and MCP, even when it's shrunk down really small. Unfortunately it has the same automation problem as the sonic anomaly panner that I posted about a few weeks ago. If the track is in touch mode and I try to automate from the gui the envelopes continously fight back against me

Is it possible to fix this or is this bug with all jsfx guis?
I tried to move some code around, to no avail. I'm not sure where the problem is. But if you use the sliders instead of the GUI it behaves well. How often do you need to use the GUI for touch (ie move X&Y simultaneously), what sort of movements do you do?

Last edited by junh1024; 09-17-2020 at 02:43 AM.
Old 09-17-2020, 09:13 AM   #27
RobinGShore

Quote:
. How often do you need to use the GUI for touch (ie move X&Y simultaneously), what sort of movements do you do?
Fairly often, enough that I'm not sure I would want use this in practical situations if this can't be fixed. I just checked a few other JS plugins, and it seems like this bug is common to all JSFX guis. Bummer.
Old 09-17-2020, 11:29 AM   #28
X-Raym

Quote:
I just checked a few other JS plugins, and it seems like this bug is common to all JSFX guis.
I confirm, tested with kawa XY effects,
it is either a bad code or maybe there is no solution and it is more like a reaper bug.

But the other automation mode works as expected.
Old 09-17-2020, 09:01 PM   #29
junh1024

Well, moving slider_automate() around, it makes certain behavior better while others worse, so I threw away that idea.

BTW, there are non-GUI circular panners in my suite which should work , if you make circular motions (degrees instead of XY) but they're not 51 so you'll need to convert if you use it.
Old 09-20-2020, 01:47 AM   #30
X-Raym

Bug has been reported by Robin here : https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=24247
Hopefully Justin will be able to propose a solution which works for all JSFX without having to update their code :P