Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Bug Reports

Old 08-07-2021, 07:54 AM   #1
ajawamnet
Human being with feelings

Default Reaper will not close on certain projects at certain zoom levels (FIXED)

This is one of the weird ones... I was told to re-post it here. This will be long

I have a project where version _26 will close just fine, and version _27 will not. both had the same amount and instance of plugins. Even if I remove all plugins using Fx Bay, _27 will not close. And what's real interesting is that after I removed all the plugins from _27, Reaper now fails to show up in Task Manager Processes or Details tab. And this is even stranger, even tho Reaper is greyed out with the black Initializing splash thing, I can still scroll through the Track panel in the greyed out project, but can't close Reaper. Had to reboot to get Reaper to go away. I really hope Reaper doesn't get like Altium... that'd suck.

See vid.

Tried Open with no FX - still hung.

So here's two files - two different versions of the same file. All FX deleted. Both are otherwise the same. One closes and one does not.

Files in this thread - https://forums.cockos.com/showpost.p...78&postcount=6

Here's the diff's between the two files.

xpander mentioned:
"Yep, zoom and several of the track heights. The one which won't close on your end is zoomed way closer and has some of the tracks much taller. The one which closes has all the tracks small and the whole project length visible in Arrange.

However, on my end those don't matter. Both projects open and close normally here.

Would it make any difference if you zoom out on the not closing project and set tracks small, similar to what they are in the closing one...then trying to close it? "

So I took his advice and collapsed all the tracks in wontclose_nofx.rpp. Now it closes. But only when I scroll to the end of the project in the TCP

Also noticed something weird. When I open wontclose_nofx.rpp I get about double the CPU Power Usage in Task Mangers idiot screen - like 16% then drops to 14%.
I can hear the system fan/CPU fan increase in speed.

When I open willclose_nofx.rpp it hangs at around 7%...

Now if I open wontclose_nofx.rpp and collapse all the tracks (using CNTL Mousewheel) it drops to 7% and NOW WILL CLOSE.

In the real Task Mangler:

For wontclose_nofx.rpp I get:
reaper.exe -
CPU = 13
Memory (active...) = 456,404K
User objects = 303
GDI = 262

reaper_host32.exe
CPU = 00
Memory (active...) = 25,192
User objects = 7
GDI = 28

For willclose_nofx.rpp I get:
reaper.exe -
CPU = 3
Memory (active...) = 453,280
User objects = 300
GDI = 254

reaper_host32.exe -
CPU = 0
Memory (active...) = 25,204
User objects = 7
GDI = 28

So now - - if I open wontclose_nofx.rpp and after using CNTL Mousewheel to collapse all the tracks, after the collapse I get:

reaper.exe -
CPU = 3
Memory (active...) = 458,232
User objects = 300
GDI = 254

reaper_host32.exe -
CPU = 0
Memory (active...) = 25,432
User objects = 7
GDI = 28

.. and then it will close.

At different zoom levels I get different CPU utilization.

So if I open wontclose_nofx and collapse it And scroll to the top of the TCP it goes back up to 9-12% and will not close.

Now if I scroll to the bottom of the TCP to the last track, the CPU drops to 3 and I can now use Close Project.

I'm using an OpenGL Quadro card with three monitors running...

Here's a link to a video of what I'm talking about. Note the Task Mangler values for reaper.exe CPU as I go through various scenarios.

http://www.ajawamnet.com/thisisreallyweird.mp4

Might have to use Chrome and stretch it across two monitors to read Task Crap.

It's also affected by the horizontal zooming. If I take wontclose_nofx.RPP with Task thing showing 13% CPU, and I then Zoom the TCP horizontal out to the show the whole project, the CPU drops to 3% and I can close even without changing the TCP vertical zoom. See vid -
http://www.ajawamnet.com/getsevenweirder.mp4

Reaper 6.23 does NOT have this problem. I tried every version back to then and used the examples I posted. All using the same theme and config, for some reason reaper 6.23 works as expected. 6.30 - 6.33 fails to close

And if I copy the tracks from the wontopen_nofx.RPP into a new project, it now closes. It's as though something is corrupting RPP files.

Last edited by ajawamnet; 08-14-2021 at 05:55 PM.
ajawamnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2021, 11:05 AM   #2
Justin
Administrator

Maybe a plug-in has a modal window that is obscured and is preventing normal mouse handling from processing? If you like when this happens, open the task manager, go to reaper.exe, right click, and do "create dump file" and then zip/email a link to that to support at cockos dot com, and we can take a look.
Justin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2021, 07:49 AM   #3
ajawamnet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin View Post
Maybe a plug-in has a modal window that is obscured and is preventing normal mouse handling from processing? If you like when this happens, open the task manager, go to reaper.exe, right click, and do "create dump file" and then zip/email a link to that to support at cockos dot com, and we can take a look.
No, I specifically kept all effects out - no Monitor FX either. Still hangs. Task Banger shows a "reaper.exe is running normally" in the Task Mangler's "Analyze wait chain" dialog.

I've sent a link of the dmp file to support
Old 08-08-2021, 07:52 AM   #4
ajawamnet

And as I mentioned - Reaper 6.23 does NOT hang closing the same project.

Last edited by ajawamnet; 08-08-2021 at 07:59 AM.
Old 08-11-2021, 12:26 PM   #5
ramses

I tried the willclose_nofx_6.RPP project, and it won't close for me. Stuck forever on "initializing". Created a dump-file, will e-mail it.
ramses is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2021, 12:29 PM   #6
ramses

Oh, there are indications in other threads that this bug has to do with having the mixer open on a second screen. Just mentioning it in case.
ramses is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2021, 12:50 PM   #7
ajawamnet

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramses View Post
I tried the willclose_nofx_6.RPP project, and it won't close for me. Stuck forever on "initializing". Created a dump-file, will e-mail it.
Thank you so much for verifying that. Yea, I saw the other post about initializing getting stuck on open...

Not sure if you tried to re-zoom the TCP and scroll... weird that for me, it closes then.

I have a bunch of projects I'm trying to get out and ever since 6.30 I've had this issue creep up on revisions (using the "_x thing) where the previous version worked as it should and then that latest revision would not.

I guess I should feel lucky they open...