Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > MIDI Hardware, Control Surfaces, and OSC

Old 09-12-2021, 01:23 PM   #1561
helgoboss
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by fak0u View Post
Hello i'm using Realern with behringer midi products and it functions pretty well !
Thank you for this wonderful add on to our beloved DAW

Would realearn work with Softube console 1 ? I have no use for softubes console plugins, i just want to use the midi controller as if it were a behringer BCR 2000, and controller any plugin on reaper, not suftube's ecosystem.
I don't know much about the Softube Console 1 controller. As long as it transmits and receives MIDI, it should work with ReaLearn (after learning its controls). The problem is I can't find any MIDI spec for it. I guess it's not conceived as a general-purpose MIDI controller. If you have this thing at home, you could try to learn some controls and tell me how that works out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sound asleep View Post
Would it be possible with scripting or just action list hopefully, to do the following?

Let's say I have a controller, and it has channel strips. I go to assign the fader of my controller to let's say the "pre-fx volume envelope" now, since I did that, I'd like to have the "mute" "solo" and "rec arm" and "pan" all automatically assigned for that channel strip, until further notice. The pan is less of an issue for me, since pan isn't something I normally automate, so I'd use that with a mouse. But the mute and solo and rec arm buttons, especially if rec arm can be assigned to automation rec arm now I think of it, would be very cool, rather than go through and do each one, it would be cool if they all assigned to the same track by only assigning one parameter of the channel.
No, this specific thing you are asking for is not possible (ReaLearn automagically adding mute/solo/... assignments triggered by assigning "pre-fx volume envelope). But why so complicated? You could just create a preset that contains mappings from a channel strip to mute/solo/... e.g. of the currently selected track (or whatever track you desire) and activate this preset whenever you need it.

Quote:
Another question, does realearn have any ability to dictate how controllers adjust parameters in terms of latch?

For example, if my physical fader on controller is at the bottom, and I switch to a track where the fader is at the top in my saw, some controllers if I move the fader, the parameter in saw will skip right down to whatever value the physical controller fader is.

For me, a preferred behaviour is for it to do nothing until I push the physical fader right up to where it meets the daw parameter value, then latches on, and then controllers the value normally.

Is this something realearn can control? Or must that be the controller device itself or its drivers that choose that?
You are looking for "Takeover mode". ReaLearn has them all. For the mapping in question, set "Jump Max" to a very small value (e.g. 1%, you might need to experiment a bit because too small values might make the value get stuck). As soon as you do this, your chosen takeover mode applies. The default "Pickup" should be exactly what you described. But there are 3 others to choose from. Give them a try.
helgoboss is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2021, 06:58 AM   #1562
Sound asleep

Quote:
Originally Posted by helgoboss View Post

No, this specific thing you are asking for is not possible (ReaLearn automagically adding mute/solo/... assignments triggered by assigning "pre-fx volume envelope). But why so complicated? You could just create a preset that contains mappings from a channel strip to mute/solo/... e.g. of the currently selected track (or whatever track you desire) and activate this preset whenever you need it.

Because if I'm working, and I have assigned channel strips to certain elements of my mix, I would like the mute and solo buttons associated with those strips. If I set it to the active track, then I could doing god knows what, and wouldn't be able to solo definitely that strip, as I may or may not have it selected. If I need to use my mouse to make sure the right track is selected, I may as well just mute with my mouse. If I move the fader a bit, and then choose "undo" will that undo all fader movements? I may be able to make an action for each button to undo as first thing, so I move the fader and then that selects the track, but, then I force losing position sync of the physical fader, and that could cause problems if I just hit one of those buttons without thinking of moving the fader first. Or actually, if I'm not in record automation mode, I guess I wouldn't need to undo anything, I would just lose the position sync, and that's not so big of a deal I guess. So, that might work fine. As long as moving the fader actually will select the track, which, tbh, im not sure moving "pre-FX volume" assigned fader will trigger track selection. It may not ever, or not with my particular setup, I'm not sure.

It would be great if I could set like "this button toggle mutes track number 'x'" and then "track x = track number fader x is assigned to" and I could have a bunch of those, for me, I'd only need 8, but could have 32 or 64 available or something, then I leave all my buttons always assigned to that action, and whenever I switch whatever track the fader is associated with, the buttons work with that track until I change the track assignment for the fader again.

OR,

What might be easier, is an action that simply selects a track assignment. The tricky here thing is, it would need to get track assignment consistently from physical controls. Or, at the very least from specific midi CC. I personally would definitely be down with linking all my fader midi CC values with a select track function. Meaning like, "select track midi CC 8 is linked to" but it would need to be able to get the track number regardless of which parameter it's associated with.

Is anything like that possible?

Quote:
You are looking for "Takeover mode". ReaLearn has them all. For the mapping in question, set "Jump Max" to a very small value (e.g. 1%, you might need to experiment a bit because too small values might make the value get stuck). As soon as you do this, your chosen takeover mode applies. The default "Pickup" should be exactly what you described. But there are 3 others to choose from. Give them a try.
Sweet! I will explore the other ones. It's good to know it has takeover though. I know I will definitely like that one.

Last edited by Sound asleep; 09-13-2021 at 08:45 AM.
Sound asleep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2021, 07:17 AM   #1563
fak0u

Quote:
I don't know much about the Softube Console 1 controller. As long as it transmits and receives MIDI, it should work with ReaLearn (after learning its controls). The problem is I can't find any MIDI spec for it. I guess it's not conceived as a general-purpose MIDI controller. If you have this thing at home, you could try to learn some controls and tell me how that works out.
Thanks for your answer, if I had the console1 at thome I would have tried this right away, I don't... I'm looking for info on this before buying one, actually !
fak0u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2021, 07:19 AM   #1564
Sherazad

Quote:
Hello Benjamin, I've been away for a while, also because of the forced stop that music have suffered. Back to work now though, so first of all I'm once again amazed by the awesome work you've been doing for these latest updates. Have yet to check out the projection features but everything looks awesome.

I have to report an issue for 2.10 though. To reproduce:
- Open a project with a relearn instance, everything works fine.
- Deactivate the plugin
- Reactivate the plugin
- Now only feedback works. The midi unit receives updates, but the controls are not communicating to reaper.

With 2.9.1 everything works as expected.

Cheers!
Sherazad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2021, 08:38 AM   #1565
helgoboss

Quote:
It would be great if I could set like "this button toggle mutes track number 'x'" and then "track x = track number fader is assigned to" and I could leave all my buttons always assigned to that action, and whenever I switch whatever track the fader is associated with, the buttons work with that track, until I change the track assignment.

Is something like that possible?
This is possible by using track selector <Dynamic> (search for the next occurence of <Dynamic> here). Basic idea: You use prev/next buttons or an encoder to cycle through values of an internal ReaLearn parameter, e.g. p0. Then you tell ReaLearn in the mapping that you want the track number to follow that parameter value (by using <Dynamic>). Kind of expert feature though. You need to know what you are doing.

In near future, there will be an easier way to achieve this: A new target "Set currently selected track as instance track". Then, in all track-related targets you can choose <Instance track>.

Quote:
Thanks for your answer, if I had the console1 at thome I would have tried this right away, I don't... I'm looking for info on this before buying one, actually !
Maybe someone else on the forum has this thing and can tell you more about what kind of MIDI messages it sends and receives.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherazad View Post
Hello Benjamin, I've been away for a while, also because of the forced stop that music have suffered. Back to work now though, so first of all I'm once again amazed by the awesome work you've been doing for these latest updates. Have yet to check out the projection features but everything looks awesome.

I have to report an issue for 2.10 though. To reproduce:
- Open a project with a relearn instance, everything works fine.
- Deactivate the plugin
- Reactivate the plugin
- Now only feedback works. The midi unit receives updates, but the controls are not communicating to reaper.

With 2.9.1 everything works as expected.

Cheers!
Thanks for spotting this error! Fixing.
Old 09-13-2021, 08:52 AM   #1566
Sound asleep

Quote:
This is possible by using track selector <Dynamic> (search for the next occurence of <Dynamic> here). Basic idea: You use prev/next buttons or an encoder to cycle through values of an internal ReaLearn parameter, e.g. p0. Then you tell ReaLearn in the mapping that you want the track number to follow that parameter value (by using <Dynamic>). Kind of expert feature though. You need to know what you are doing.

In near future, there will be an easier way to achieve this: A new target "Set currently selected track as instance track". Then, in all track-related targets you can choose <Instance track>.

Uuh, ya, I think I'm gonna have to spend a little time understanding that once I receive the controller lol. But thanks for the info. The instance track thing sounds very cool. So, you would have sort of a list of multiple instance tracks like that I guess? Like "instance track 1" "instance track 2" sort of deal? This way I could have say, channel strip 1 buttons do "mute instance track 1" "solo instance track 1" "rec arm instance track 1" and then I could just always make sure like when I assign fader on channel strip 1, to make sure I assign it to "pre-FX volume & make instance track 1"?
Old 09-14-2021, 07:51 AM   #1567
mozart999uk

Hi all, This is probably really simple but for the life of me I can't work it out.

Is it possible to map a controller to the "trim volume" envelope on a track. I can get it to map to "track volume" but not "trim volume".
mozart999uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2021, 11:26 AM   #1568
helgoboss

Quote:
Originally Posted by mozart999uk View Post
Hi all, This is probably really simple but for the life of me I can't work it out.

Is it possible to map a controller to the "trim volume" envelope on a track. I can get it to map to "track volume" but not "trim volume".
Actually, I don't know how. Is it really intended to be used with a knob/fader/encoder? I'm not so familiar with "Trim Volume" but if I read the section in the user guide and try playing around with it, it looks to me as if it's more like a draw-only thing "on top" of the real volume envelope. Or alternatively an "increment/decrement a bit"-only thing ... at least when controlling it via the GUI knob, it always snaps back to the middle. The envelope can also not be written in write/latch mode, so it's quite different from all the other track parameters. If you know a ReaScript or extension that does this and if you can somehow describe its usefulness, please point me to it.
Old 09-14-2021, 11:27 AM   #1569
helgoboss

Released ReaLearn 2.10.1 (ReaPack installation instructions)

Changes:
- #441 Fixed bug in 2.10.0 that caused disabling and reenabling ReaLearn FX to stop control
Old 09-15-2021, 03:34 AM   #1570
mozart999uk

Quote:
Actually, I don't know how. Is it really intended to be used with a knob/fader/encoder? I'm not so familiar with "Trim Volume" but if I read the section in the user guide and try playing around with it, it looks to me as if it's more like a draw-only thing "on top" of the real volume envelope. Or alternatively an "increment/decrement a bit"-only thing ... at least when controlling it via the GUI knob, it always snaps back to the middle. The envelope can also not be written in write/latch mode, so it's quite different from all the other track parameters. If you know a ReaScript or extension that does this and if you can somehow describe its usefulness, please point me to it.
Thanks :-) I currently have a controller mapped to "track:set volume" and the automation mode to "trim/read". I've been using the volume envelope to draw in automation (which doesn't move the "track volume level") and then the "track volume level" manually as a trim. So, I can draw automation and then still have a post volume global adjustment using my controller .

The problem has arisen that I wanted to write some automation using my controller to the volume envelope without adjusting the track volume. I couldn't work out a way of doing that and I thought "trim volume" might help.

I know it all sounds over complicated but I stumbled upon the "trim/read" mode and although it's different to how Cubase works (for example) I've found it really useful to work this way.
Old 09-15-2021, 06:17 AM   #1571
fak0u

Default Edit Window too big

Hello,
i'm using a laptop at the moment with the pretty common resolution 1366x768 (100% scaling)
the Edit Window height is too big and I cannot use, nor even see the bottom of it.
Old 09-15-2021, 06:24 AM   #1572
fak0u

Default Change an option for all mappings in one main preset

I have done presets with 20 mappings
What i want to do is change the same option for all my mappings at once, without having to click on all the edit buttons of my 20 mappings and change the option 20 times.

for example i want to change Track from "position 1" to <selected> for all the mappings or FX "by position 1" to "by name : Reaeq"

can this be done ?
Old 09-15-2021, 10:57 AM   #1573
helgoboss

Quote:
Thanks :-) I currently have a controller mapped to "track:set volume" and the automation mode to "trim/read". I've been using the volume envelope to draw in automation (which doesn't move the "track volume level") and then the "track volume level" manually as a trim. So, I can draw automation and then still have a post volume global adjustment using my controller .

The problem has arisen that I wanted to write some automation using my controller to the volume envelope without adjusting the track volume. I couldn't work out a way of doing that and I thought "trim volume" might help.

I know it all sounds over complicated but I stumbled upon the "trim/read" mode and although it's different to how Cubase works (for example) I've found it really useful to work this way.
Okay. I think it's possible via REAPER API by writing the envelope points directly. But for the moment, I think this is not something I would like to support because the use case seems quite exotic and changing envelope points is not yet something that ReaLearn does.

Quote:
Hello,
i'm using a laptop at the moment with the pretty common resolution 1366x768 (100% scaling)
the Edit Window height is too big and I cannot use, nor even see the bottom of it.
That's a known issue, however, one that I'm not very keen on fixing because I haven't yet found a way to do it that would satisfy my own needs and is not too much effort. If you have an idea, let me know (no scrolling in dialogs though).

Just a tip: You don't need to press OK at the bottom of the window, everything gets applied immediately. If you want to close the window, pressing ESC or clicking the X is enough.

Quote:
I have done presets with 20 mappings
What i want to do is change the same option for all my mappings at once, without having to click on all the edit buttons of my 20 mappings and change the option 20 times.

for example i want to change Track from "position 1" to <selected> for all the mappings or FX "by position 1" to "by name : Reaeq"

can this be done ?
Not in a convenient way, no. There's a much faster way than changing the option 20 times, but only if you don't fear text editing:

1. Make sure all the mappings you want to change are in one mapping group.
2. Show this mapping group, right-click the header panel and choose "Copy listed mappings".
3. Paste the result into a decent text editor and use its search-and-replace function
- In your specific case, replacing ["trackIndex": 0,] with ["trackGUID": "selected",] (excluding the brackets) should do the job.
- You need to be careful of course not to change anything that should stay the same.
4. Copy-and-paste the result back into ReaLearn via "Paste mappings (replace all in group)".
- If this action is greyed out, you know you have done something wrong in the text editor.
Old 09-15-2021, 11:07 AM   #1574
Dex

Quote:

Just set your track automation mode to touch or latch when you want to write automation to your volume envelope with your controller, and then set it back to trim/read when you're done. That should do what you want, I think.

It would be nice to be able to write automation to the "trim volume" envelope with controllers as well, since as far as I can tell, that envelope is really just a second volume envelope for the track, but Reaper seems to control access to it differently.
Dex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2021, 03:37 PM   #1575
fak0u

Quote:
Not in a convenient way, no. There's a much faster way than changing the option 20 times, but only if you don't fear text editing:
OK thank you, I will try this later
I found a way to do it before seeing your reply
i opened the JSON preset file in windows notepad and replaced all occurences of

"trackIndex": 0,
"fxAnchor": "index",

with

"trackGUID": "selected",
"fxAnchor": "name",
"fxName": "VST3: NA Mrh159 (Nembrini Audio)",

it worked as intended
Old 09-16-2021, 12:43 AM   #1576
DaneJH

I used to be able to Map the target to
Type: FX: Enable/disable
Track: <Master>
FX: (in previous version, a drop down menu I could select the FX on the Monitor FX)

Under the Tuning section I had it set to a range where I could switch between bypassing FX on my monitor FX chain using one knob(See attached), This is no longer working...

https://i.postimg.cc/s2Q5L9bN/Problem.gif
https://i.postimg.cc/zBwHmd70/Solution.gif

I have tried to use the FX: (By name) and typed in the FX value, but this doesn't work.

When moving the Knob the FX Does not Disable the FX, it only Enables at all Min/Max values

Is it possible to get a legacy version of the plugin?
DaneJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2021, 01:43 AM   #1577
mozart999uk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dex View Post
Just set your track automation mode to touch or latch when you want to write automation to your volume envelope with your controller, and then set it back to trim/read when you're done. That should do what you want, I think.

It would be nice to be able to write automation to the "trim volume" envelope with controllers as well, since as far as I can tell, that envelope is really just a second volume envelope for the track, but Reaper seems to control access to it differently.
Thanks for the suggestion. That seems to do the same here as leaving it in "trim" mode. Both the Volume envelope and track volume fader move. Although I don't know how much of a problem that is. I thought originally that it was giving a "double volume" effect when writing (not when playing back) so it was hard to judge writing the automation by ear, which is what I wanted to achieve. However, I'm not actually sure it is.....

Yep agreed re "trim volume". I guess that's what I'm trying to do with the volume envelope. I appreciate Helgoboss' position but I don;t think it's particularly exotic. I think it would be used loads if it was possible :-)
Old 09-16-2021, 09:01 AM   #1578
helgoboss

Quote:
OK thank you, I will try this later
I found a way to do it before seeing your reply
i opened the JSON preset file in windows notepad and replaced all occurences of

"trackIndex": 0,
"fxAnchor": "index",

with

"trackGUID": "selected",
"fxAnchor": "name",
"fxName": "VST3: NA Mrh159 (Nembrini Audio)",

it worked as intended
Great, that's a similar alternative. You have figured it out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaneJH View Post
I used to be able to Map the target to
Type: FX: Enable/disable
Track: <Master>
FX: (in previous version, a drop down menu I could select the FX on the Monitor FX)

Under the Tuning section I had it set to a range where I could switch between bypassing FX on my monitor FX chain using one knob(See attached), This is no longer working...

https://i.postimg.cc/s2Q5L9bN/Problem.gif
https://i.postimg.cc/zBwHmd70/Solution.gif

I have tried to use the FX: (By name) and typed in the FX value, but this doesn't work.

When moving the Knob the FX Does not Disable the FX, it only Enables at all Min/Max values

Is it possible to get a legacy version of the plugin?
You have detected a regression bug. Thanks. I will release a fix tonight. BTW, you can always go back to old versions by selecting the version in ReaPack. But in general I would suggest to report bugs, let me fix them and move forward.

Quote:
Yep agreed re "trim volume". I guess that's what I'm trying to do with the volume envelope. I appreciate Helgoboss' position but I don;t think it's particularly exotic. I think it would be used loads if it was possible :-)
True, maybe not exotic. Just seemingly not intended to be used like this by the REAPER devs.
Old 09-16-2021, 09:45 AM   #1579
helgoboss

Released ReaLearn 2.10.2 (ReaPack installation instructions)

Changes:
- #447 Fixed bug in 2.10.0 and 2.10.1 that made it impossible to target monitoring FX instances
Old 09-17-2021, 01:28 AM   #1580
DaneJH

Okay, thank you helgoboss.

My reason for requesting a legacy version was to see what could be causing the problem, so I could A/B.

The drop down menu is back, however the problem I am having is still not fixed.

In version 2.9.1 with the settings mentioned in my previous post, it works as expected, from 41 - 81 the FX should be enabled,
0 - 40 & 82 - 127 it should be disabled (see attached).

This does not happen in the latest version 2.10.2 for some reason and I suspect it has something to do with the Group Interaction that has been introduced.
Attached Images
File Type: png 001 17-09-2021.png (7.2 KB, 108 views)
Old 09-17-2021, 02:27 AM   #1581
mozart999uk

Quote:

True, maybe not exotic. Just seemingly not intended to be used like this by the REAPER devs.
Good point :-)
Old 09-17-2021, 08:38 AM   #1582
fak0u

not directly linked to Realearn but, is Reaper able to autofloat the last controlled FX window (when i control it via realearn for example) ?
Old 09-17-2021, 08:49 AM   #1583
helgoboss

Quote:
Okay, thank you helgoboss.

My reason for requesting a legacy version was to see what could be causing the problem, so I could A/B.

The drop down menu is back, however the problem I am having is still not fixed.

In version 2.9.1 with the settings mentioned in my previous post, it works as expected, from 41 - 81 the FX should be enabled,
0 - 40 & 82 - 127 it should be disabled (see attached).

This does not happen in the latest version 2.10.2 for some reason and I suspect it has something to do with the Group Interaction that has been introduced.
Oh no, you are right. Good catch. Right now, it essentially ignores source min/max setting for MIDI sources in control direction. Will fix this on the weekend and add a test case, this is a pretty basic thing. It broke because of some internal works for the discrete processing feature which will be released at some point.
Old 09-17-2021, 10:17 AM   #1584
DaneJH

Perfect, thank you very much.
Old 09-17-2021, 10:59 AM   #1585
istominmusic

Default ReaLearn

I have a weird job. I set up ReaLearn to work with the plugin. They are in the same track. I save the track like Track Preset. Then, if I download this Track Preset - there are no saved parameters in the ReaLearn! Every time I upload this Track Preset to a new project - ReaLearn loses all settings! It's not very convenient. How do I do that I can set up once and that I can transfer this customized track between projects without losing my settings?
istominmusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2021, 11:39 AM   #1586
helgoboss

Quote:
Perfect, thank you very much.
You should become prerelease tester

Quote:
Originally Posted by istominmusic View Post
I have a weird job. I set up ReaLearn to work with the plugin. They are in the same track. I save the track like Track Preset. Then, if I download this Track Preset - there are no saved parameters in the ReaLearn! Every time I upload this Track Preset to a new project - ReaLearn loses all settings! It's not very convenient. How do I do that I can set up once and that I can transfer this customized track between projects without losing my settings?
You probably address the plug-in instance (let's call it "FX instance" from now on) which is on the same track "By ID", am I right? Choosing "By ID" is like saying "Hey ReaLearn, I want you to control this particular FX instance, and this only!". The problem with that is: If you save the track as track template and load it again, ReaLearn will not find this particular FX instance anymore because, well, it's not the same instance anymore, it's a new one. REAPER was right to give it a new ID!

Hence, in order to make your presets (ReaLearn compartment presets, REAPER FX presets, FX chains, track templates, ...) reusable, you shouldn't choose "By ID"! Infact, if you try to save your preset as ReaLearn compartment preset, it will even tell you that. But with those other kinds of presets it can't.

Solution: Address the FX instance "By name" instead, or "By position" ... whatever makes more sense for you.
Old 09-19-2021, 04:24 AM   #1587
helgoboss

Released ReaLearn 2.10.3 (ReaPack installation instructions)

Changes:
- #450 Fixed bug in 2.10 that made source min/max not work for MIDI sources
Old 09-20-2021, 01:43 AM   #1588
DaneJH

Quote:
You should become prerelease tester
Seems like a great idea, but I have enough PTSD from certain DAWS crashing, and just want to make music and not trouble shoot

Thanks for the fix, seems to be back in order again
Old 09-22-2021, 03:37 PM   #1589
Dex

Question 1:

I have ten faders. I would like the first fader to control the volume of the first selected track (if any). I would like the second fader to control the volume of the second selected track (if any). Etc.

Is this possible?

Question 2:

I have three faders (fader 0, fader 1, and fader 2). I would like fader 1 to control the volume of the selected track. I would like fader 0 to control the volume of the previous track, and fader 2 to control the volume of the next track. So, if I have selected track 50, the controls would be:

fader 0: track 49 volume
fader 1: track 50 volume
fader 2: track 51 volume,

but then if I change my selection to track 45, the faders immediately change to:

fader 0: track 44 volume
fader 1: track 45 volume
fader 2: track 46 volume.

Is this possible?
Dex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2021, 05:05 PM   #1590
helgoboss

Quote:
Question 1:

I have ten faders. I would like the first fader to control the volume of the first selected track (if any). I would like the second fader to control the volume of the second selected track (if any). Etc.

Is this possible?
No, not at the moment. Feel free to open an issue on GitHub.

Quote:
Question 2:

I have three faders (fader 0, fader 1, and fader 2). I would like fader 1 to control the volume of the selected track. I would like fader 0 to control the volume of the previous track, and fader 2 to control the volume of the next track. So, if I have selected track 50, the controls would be:

fader 0: track 49 volume
fader 1: track 50 volume
fader 2: track 51 volume,

but then if I change my selection to track 45, the faders immediately change to:

fader 0: track 44 volume
fader 1: track 45 volume
fader 2: track 46 volume.

Is this possible?
Yes. For fader 0, use track <Dynamic> with expression "selected_track_index - 1" and for fader 1 "selected_track_index + 1".
Old 09-22-2021, 05:27 PM   #1591
helgoboss

Released ReaLearn 2.11.0-pre.1 (ReaPack installation instructions)

Changes:
- #376 Added possibility to control using system-exclusive MIDI messages (by using the existing very flexible "Raw MIDI" source, which only worked for feedback direction so far - now supports learning, value extraction using patterns and logging of incoming messages)
- #325 Added new target "ReaLearn: Navigate within group" for cycling through mappings in a mapping group (for intuitively defining sequences e.g. for implementing pages, zones etc.; support sequences spanning completely different targets!)
- #438 Added new target "ReaLearn: Enable/disable mappings" for flexibly enabling/disabling mappings during a performance (can be used as a more straightforward alternative to conditional activation, especially when it comes to bank/zone switching scenarios)
- #449 Added new target "ReaLearn: Enable/disable instances" for flexibly enabling/disabling complete ReaLearn instances during a performance (great for paging)
- #394 Added completely new possibility to organize mappings - by tagging them (most new ReaLearn targets support tags to flexibly restrict the mapping scope, you can also search for them by prefixing a search term with a hash character #)
- #437 Added new source "ReaLearn instance started" in source category REAPER that fires when ReaLearn is started (can be used to execute an actions, restore parameter states or whatever on REAPER startup or project load)
- #394 Improved target "ReaLearn: Load mapping snapshot" by allowing to restrict snapshot loading to mappings with certain tags and activity state
- #436 Improved target value entry by providing buttons for trigger- or switch-like targets
- #435 Improved projection feedback by sending feedback initially, not just on value changes or on manual request via REAPER action
- Improved performance of "MIDI: Send message" target when sending to feedback output by avoiding deallocation in audio thread
- Improved documentation of what's special about "MIDI: Send message" target and what limitations it has

This version introduces a completely new and alternative way to implement switching and cycling between different banks of mappings (and even instances), which is probably more straightforward than conditional activation. Which doesn't mean that conditional activation is now old news! On the contrary, I will soon add target-based conditional activation.

Last edited by helgoboss; 09-22-2021 at 05:32 PM.
Old 09-23-2021, 09:59 PM   #1592
Dopameme

Hey HelgoBoss,

I'm trying to make a fader control on my Launchpad Pro Mk3.
Similar to what you have going at the 47 minute mark of your "Introduction to ReaLearn 2" video. I've been trying for a couple of days now, but can't seem to figure it out.

So far I've been able to get everything else going. Including Sysex messages for switching between programmer mode and the built-in Launchpad modes.

Thanks for all the work you've put into this!

Ryan
Dopameme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2021, 10:20 PM   #1593
mschnell

Hi HelgoBoss,
As you know, I think the name "ReaLearn" is a rather bad choice for this great tool.

That is why I vote for enhancing the ReaPack description in a way that it will be found when searching for keywords it might be associated with.

E.g. when searching for "OSC", ReaLearn will not be found.

I don't know the best way of doing this, but I think it would be very useful for potential users.

Thanks !
-Michael
mschnell is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2021, 02:13 AM   #1594
helgoboss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopameme View Post
Hey HelgoBoss,

I'm trying to make a fader control on my Launchpad Pro Mk3.
Similar to what you have going at the 47 minute mark of your "Introduction to ReaLearn 2" video. I've been trying for a couple of days now, but can't seem to figure it out.

So far I've been able to get everything else going. Including Sysex messages for switching between programmer mode and the built-in Launchpad modes.

Thanks for all the work you've put into this!

Ryan
Getting this to work needs quite a bit of manual effort at the moment. You need one mapping for each pad, so 64 mappings in total! For each mapping, set target min and max to the same value (the value that you want your target parameter to have when pressing the pad). For getting the nice "fader-like" feedback, set "Out-of-range behavior" to "Min or max". I think that's all.

In order to reduce the tedious work to set this up, I used a text editor with some copy and paste of JSON snippets. Or if you know some programming basics, you ca. generate the JSON.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mschnell View Post
Hi HelgoBoss,
As you know, I think the name "ReaLearn" is a rather bad choice for this great tool.

That is why I vote for enhancing the ReaPack description in a way that it will be found when searching for keywords it might be associated with.

E.g. when searching for "OSC", ReaLearn will not be found.

I don't know the best way of doing this, but I think it would be very useful for potential users.

Thanks !
-Michael
Good idea, I agree. Not sure how effective it will be given that users have to consciously add the Helgoboss ReaPack repository before even finding ReaLearn in this list, so at that point they probably know the name already. Maybe I can ask someone to put this repo on the default repo list.
Old 09-24-2021, 05:02 AM   #1595
mschnell

As ReaLern takes care of many issues, some might consider a shortcoming of Reaper's, it would be really great if a new default installation of Reaper would allow to easily find it.

For this I consider a very useful way eould be to (1) have Re4aPack be installed by default, and (2) ReaLearn would reside in a "standard" repository of ReaLearn's.

-Michael
Old 09-24-2021, 08:25 AM   #1596
Sound asleep

Quote:

Good idea, I agree. Not sure how effective it will be given that users have to consciously add the Helgoboss ReaPack repository before even finding ReaLearn in this list, so at that point they probably know the name already. Maybe I can ask someone to put this repo on the default repo list.
I honestly don't think people will have much trouble finding this.

I think it will become as easy to find and as ubiquitous as sws extensions. There are no advertisements for that.
Old 09-24-2021, 02:35 PM   #1597
mschnell

Also with SWS it's a shame, that Reaper does not provide an easy and obvious way to inform about its features and to install it.

-Michael
Old 09-26-2021, 12:47 AM   #1598
cjunekim

Default Any way to make buttons exclusive?

I really like the modifiers feature.

Here is how I use it with Korg nanoKONTROL studio.

There are 4 buttons on the top and then a rotary knob for each channel. When I turn the knob, it moves the panning for the track. But when I hold one of the buttons while turning the knob, it will move the gain for the channel's EQ. Three buttons are for low, mid, and high frequecy EQ.

With the help of EEL2, I could separate all of them. That is, y= p1==0 && p2==0 && p3==0 for the panning feature, for example.

Now, I want to change the button modifier behavior into toggle. So that I don't have to hold the button while turning the knob.

So I press EQ Low button and release it and then I can turn the knob to control the gain for the low EQ. However, for the ease of use, I want the three toggle buttons to be exclusive from each other.

That is, when I hit the EQ high button, the currently turned on buttons(mid or low) should be automatically turned off, so that there is at maximum one button is on. Of course, if I hit the only turned on button again, all buttons should be off. Then I can use the knob for panning.

How can I achieve this with ReaLearn?

update: I found Group Interaction feature, and tried it with Inverse target value. It works as exclusive buttons but when I press again already turned-on button, it will turn on the other buttons. I want them to be all off.

Last edited by cjunekim; 09-26-2021 at 01:19 AM.
cjunekim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2021, 05:56 AM   #1599
helgoboss

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjunekim View Post
I really like the modifiers feature.

Here is how I use it with Korg nanoKONTROL studio.

There are 4 buttons on the top and then a rotary knob for each channel. When I turn the knob, it moves the panning for the track. But when I hold one of the buttons while turning the knob, it will move the gain for the channel's EQ. Three buttons are for low, mid, and high frequecy EQ.

With the help of EEL2, I could separate all of them. That is, y= p1==0 && p2==0 && p3==0 for the panning feature, for example.

Now, I want to change the button modifier behavior into toggle. So that I don't have to hold the button while turning the knob.

So I press EQ Low button and release it and then I can turn the knob to control the gain for the low EQ. However, for the ease of use, I want the three toggle buttons to be exclusive from each other.

That is, when I hit the EQ high button, the currently turned on buttons(mid or low) should be automatically turned off, so that there is at maximum one button is on. Of course, if I hit the only turned on button again, all buttons should be off. Then I can use the knob for panning.

How can I achieve this with ReaLearn?

update: I found Group Interaction feature, and tried it with Inverse target value. It works as exclusive buttons but when I press again already turned-on button, it will turn on the other buttons. I want them to be all off.
First, congratulations. You are using ReaLearn in exactly the way it's intended Also, with the approach that you took (modifier-based conditional activation), group interaction is the correct ingredient to achieve this form of "exclusivity".

However, your requirement that switching the currently on button off *without* switching the other ones on, it's currently not possible. If you can hold your breath one or two days longer, I can implement it (https://github.com/helgoboss/realearn/issues/365). It's something that I wanted to add for some time already and not just for group interaction, also for exclusivity in track targets, which behaves exactly the same way at the moment: "You switch something on, the rest goes off. You switch something off, the rest goes on." What I want to add: "You switch something on, the rest goes off. You switch something off, the rest stays at it is."

Side note: There are also other ways to achieve what you want. Not necessarily better, I'm just presenting alternatives.

1. In the current prerelease you could do the same with tags and the "ReaLearn: Enable/disable mappings" target, instead of conditional activation. Spoiler: You would hit the same limitation with that approach.

2. In general, if you want each button to be exclusive (and really NEVER have more than one active), you can choose bank-based conditional activation, which is exclusive by nature. With that, it's actually possible to do what you want, already now. You would use 3 mappings with the same bank parameter as target (e.g. parameter 1). You would configure target min/max to let button A toggle the bank parameter between 0% and 1%, B between 0% and 2% and C between 0% and 3%. For good LED feedback, all 3 mappings should have "Out-of-range behavior" set to "Min". Then you simply set "Active" for the "EQ Low" mapping to "Bank 1", "EQ Medium" to "Bank 2" etc.

Last edited by helgoboss; 09-26-2021 at 06:01 AM.
Old 09-26-2021, 06:31 AM   #1600
cjunekim

Quote:
2. In general, if you want each button to be exclusive (and really NEVER have more than one active), you can choose bank-based conditional activation, which is exclusive by nature. With that, it's actually possible to do what you want, already now. You would use 3 mappings with the same bank parameter as target (e.g. parameter 1). You would configure target min/max to let button A toggle the bank parameter between 0% and 1%, B between 0% and 2% and C between 0% and 3%. For good LED feedback, all 3 mappings should have "Out-of-range behavior" set to "Min". Then you simply set "Active" for the "EQ Low" mapping to "Bank 1", "EQ Medium" to "Bank 2" etc.
Wow. Thank you for your interest and suggestion!

I think I understood what you wrote here and implemented it. However, it works differently from what I expected.

So there are 3 mappings.

1. midi button 1 to p1 : target min,max = 0,1%
2. midi button 2 to p1 : target min,max = 0,2%
3. midi button 3 to p1 : target min,max = 0,3%

And all are in Toggle buttons mode and their Out-of-range behavior is all Min.

Now if I start testing.

1. I hit button 1. It is turned on.
2. hit button 2. Button 1 goes off and button 2 is on. Okay.
3. hit button 3. All buttons go off. Uh-oh. Not what I wanted.
cjunekim is offline   Reply With Quote