Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Feature Requests

Old 08-22-2021, 11:29 AM   #81
jm duchenne
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by schwa View Post
This is a super useful thread. To the extent possible, we'll be adding or changing whatever we can incrementally to move along the path toward ADM rendering, but I'm sure it will take a while before it's all implemented.
What a wonderful program!
And perhaps, by chance, more than 64 channels busses will be one of the easier tasks?
jm duchenne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2021, 02:10 PM   #82
Joystick

Quote:
Originally Posted by junh1024 View Post
I had a menu since LFE might not be on 4. But since for RPR/SMPTE it's almost guaranteed, how about this simplified approach:
  • HW out is searched for a 3/4>* out or 4>* out.
  • A checkbox [.] LFE > Sub monitoring levels appears on that
  • If a stereo output is checked, 3/4>* out is split into 2 mono outs.
  • 4>* out is boosted by 10dB on a slider.
  • When the checkbox is unchecked, it goes back to 0.

How about that? Also, should 3/4>* out or 4>* out also be changed to 3/4>3/4 & 4>4out instead?
I'm not sure which approach would be best. Leave it free or kind of standardize ch.4. Both could work, so I guess it depends on which way one works, right?

For me, in canonical surround formats with one Sub/LFE, I like to have it always on ch.4, just for memory purposes. I should clarify, not my computer's memory, my own. Hehehe. It's easier to remember where is what with projects using so many channels.
Joystick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2021, 12:51 PM   #83
BartR

Just installed the 6.35 and enjoying the RSP :-)
When you will do the one for Atmos: just make it enlargeable fo rwho ahs sight problems like me :-)
I do really love it!

A reason more to go to Atmos :-p
BartR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2021, 01:33 PM   #84
Joystick

Quote:
Originally Posted by jm duchenne View Post
And perhaps, by chance, more than 64 channels busses will be one of the easier tasks?
Good suggestion. This also allows for parallel work done for two high-channel formats in the same track, which might be needed if one works on Dolby Atmos and classic Ambisonics at the same time, to support different deliverables (i.e. cinema and 360 video).
Old 08-26-2021, 02:08 AM   #85
BartR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joystick View Post
Good suggestion. This also allows for parallel work done for two high-channel formats in the same track, which might be needed if one works on Dolby Atmos and classic Ambisonics at the same time, to support different deliverables (i.e. cinema and 360 video).
That's a good point.
Old 08-30-2021, 06:08 PM   #86
bcslaam

Hi all
I've been following this with great enthusiasm, being recently fitted out with a 7.1.4 system and using Reaper in Windows for about 10yrs with no plans to change. So hearing from Shwa that they are progressing towards an ATMOS capable workflow that doesnt require Dolby Mastering Suite/Renderer is music to my ears. I'm also interested in DTS-X and other formats. I'm against a Dolby monopoly.
From my perspective it cant happen soon enough since I'm going to be composing and mixing a low/mid budget feature in immersive format from now (theme is in development) until April 2022 deadline.

My noob questions:
1. Initially (before I read this thread) I assumed that I could do music composition using only 7.1.4 beds, assign to 12ch stem buses with Penteo on it set to convert to ATMOS bed channel format and record those beds as multiwav stems. With music I didn't plan on using objects at all. If there is fancy dynamic panning (rarely happens with instruments) it would just be an effect that can exist within a 7.0 bed, I assumed. Is this flawed?

2. When it comes to the final re-recording mix of the film I was going to introduce some objects in the sound design tracks in a new separate Reaper project for the final mix. Export that mix as an adm file from Reaper and do the final ATMOS encoding to DDM with final vision in Davinci Resolve Studio in Windows. And output all the different film formats required by the streamers from there. The focus isn't on cinema so disregard that really, it's on streaming (and Bluray), we want to avoid having to send to a big Dolby cinema licensed dub house. Although there will be some small local indi cinema showings, accuracy of the ATMOS cinema side of it is not a priority, just a consequence of doing it at the Dolby HE level would suffice. I havent tested this work flow yet, the last film mix I did was in 5.1 surround in Reaper. Is this flow flawed?

3. Now with RSP ability to think 7.1.4 and Reaper outputing an adm, do I need Penteo on the busses at all? It seems I dont need to use any Ambisonic encoding/decoding plugins at all. Straight to the open adm standard, into Resolve which then converts to DDM on the output? That would be great!

I do appologise if this is the wrong thread for these questions. But once I have an overview plan of my flow I'm sure I can contribute to this discussion after trying a few things.

Last edited by bcslaam; 08-30-2021 at 07:20 PM.
bcslaam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2021, 03:37 AM   #87
Joystick

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcslaam View Post
1. Initially (before I read this thread) I assumed that I could do music composition using only 7.1.4 beds, assign to 12ch stem buses with Penteo on it set to convert to ATMOS bed channel format and record those beds as multiwav stems. With music I didn't plan on using objects at all. If there is fancy dynamic panning (rarely happens with instruments) it would just be an effect that can exist within a 7.0 bed, I assumed. Is this flawed?
I think this approach works great, especially with the music soundtrack. It will also allow you for a more enveloping effect if you setup the music reverb(s) towards that philosophy.

Quote:
2. When it comes to the final re-recording mix of the film I was going to introduce some objects in the sound design tracks in a new separate Reaper project for the final mix. Export that mix as an adm file from Reaper and do the final ATMOS encoding to DDM with final vision in Davinci Resolve Studio in Windows. And output all the different film formats required by the streamers from there. The focus isn't on cinema so disregard that really, it's on streaming (and Bluray), we want to avoid having to send to a big Dolby cinema licensed dub house. Although there will be some small local indi cinema showings, accuracy of the ATMOS cinema side of it is not a priority, just a consequence of doing it at the Dolby HE level would suffice. I havent tested this work flow yet, the last film mix I did was in 5.1 surround in Reaper. Is this flow flawed?
For small theaters, low to medium budgets, domestic playback scenarios I don't think that there is so much accuracy lost. I think you would be pretty safe to do it that way. You can off course try with test signals and strategic renders on a small theater if you have access. In streaming I think further optimizations are happening to the final image so I believe you are safe there too.

Quote:
3. Now with RSP ability to think 7.1.4 and Reaper outputing an adm, do I need Penteo on the busses at all? It seems I dont need to use any Ambisonic encoding/decoding plugins at all. Straight to the open adm standard, into Resolve which then converts to DDM on the output? That would be great!
Let us know if you try this and works. Unfortunately DaVinci Resolve has so many bugs in my system that I got out of this train months ago. also the v17.x versions introduced a very crude backwards compatibility issue with video cards that I don't think I will use it. It reminded me of the Avid way of updating and it kind of repels me.
Old 08-31-2021, 10:16 AM   #88
BartR

Quote:
Hi all
I've been following this with great enthusiasm, being recently fitted out with a 7.1.4 system and using Reaper in Windows for about 10yrs with no plans to change. So hearing from Shwa that they are progressing towards an ATMOS capable workflow that doesnt require Dolby Mastering Suite/Renderer is music to my ears. I'm also interested in DTS-X and other formats. I'm against a Dolby monopoly.
From my perspective it cant happen soon enough since I'm going to be composing and mixing a low/mid budget feature in immersive format from now (theme is in development) until April 2022 deadline.
Well in the reality I think Schwa meant Dolby Panner ... because Dolby Renderer you are obliged to pass through
Old 09-01-2021, 04:09 AM   #89
bcslaam

I see. So you're saying in this proposed pipeline we can't go

Reaper> adm> Davinci> DNxHR/ProRes/DCP with ATMOS DDM embedded

and avoid all Dolby production suite, panner, renderer?

Last edited by bcslaam; 09-01-2021 at 04:14 AM.
Old 09-01-2021, 03:19 PM   #90
BartR

Quote:

Also DaVinci is only bed, so far (I own DaVinci Studio)
Old 09-01-2021, 03:22 PM   #91
BartR

The renderer has 128 objects hence 128 channels while Reaper is 64. Is planned an extension eventually?

Another thing ... here I found a video that uses Reaper in bridge on mac.
I see the dolby panner required by the renderer.
Perhaps it's useful to get some hint?

Old 09-01-2021, 07:33 PM   #92
bcslaam

Great thanks for that BartR and to Joystick for your replies.

So in the meantime, whats the problem with us just using beds (for now) in a film. And still have things panning around in them like you would an object but just inside the bed structure using RSP or dearVR etc?

I run an old MacbookPro 2011 to access my 2 Metric Halo ULN8 3d devices. I can currently send 24 adat to them from my PC's RME card and pick them up in the Mac through to the Dolby Production Suite. This could be 2x 12ch beds. Also send MTC and its still just like in this video above just that Reaper is run on the PC?

Also, as you say BartR for now Resolve only knows beds (thats a bummer hope it changes). But really we dont even need the Dolby renderer on a mac if we keep to beds and export an adm from Reaper into Resolve for Windows, yes?

BTW @schwa, I also put my hand up for Reaper to support 128 channels in a track.

Last edited by bcslaam; 09-01-2021 at 10:08 PM.
Old 09-02-2021, 01:46 AM   #93
BartR

Quote:
Great thanks for that BartR and to Joystick for your replies.

So in the meantime, whats the problem with us just using beds (for now) in a film. And still have things panning around in them like you would an object but just inside the bed structure using RSP or dearVR etc?

I run an old MacbookPro 2011 to access my 2 Metric Halo ULN8 3d devices. I can currently send 24 adat to them from my PC's RME card and pick them up in the Mac through to the Dolby Production Suite. This could be 2x 12ch beds. Also send MTC and its still just like in this video above just that Reaper is run on the PC?

Also, as you say BartR for now Resolve only knows beds (thats a bummer hope it changes). But really we dont even need the Dolby renderer on a mac if we keep to beds and export an adm from Reaper into Resolve for Windows, yes?

BTW @schwa, I also put my hand up for Reaper to support 128 channels in a track.
The bed, in facts, ha not meaning. If you use Atmos. you use it for objects. Each object is an instrument you can place in a determinate space position.
Objects are NOT simple pannings as many think they are.

Resolve ha beds bat soundtracks are made upfront DaVinci post-production. So that you have the objects already there.
DaVinci MUST talk with the renderer as well.
Or not Atmos is got.
Old 09-02-2021, 04:20 AM   #94
junh1024

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joystick View Post
When DA is implemented in RPR, there's no need for 2 separate streams in a bus to achieve 2 separate deliverables. With the dual-export function in RPR & DA, you can export ADM + insert a CBA>HOA plugin on the master to simultaneously deliver DA & HOA.

Quote:
Yes.

Approach:

Using penteo to upscale to 71/714, I would suggest to only do it very seletively. Since if you upscale everything, it is pointless since consumers can upmix @home with DSU. YOu should mostly place different instruments in different places like classic 2D surround mixing, and upscaling should be very selective.

(714) Beds:

- Array @ cinema, but sound blurry.
- Do not array up @home, and you may end up with empty speakers if using a >714 setup
- Cannot use all available speakers in either setting.

Hence, it is bad to over-use bed audio.

Most music tutorials will recommend using objects for music. https://www.mixonline.com/technology...-music-edition

There's nothing wrong with using static objects for instruments.

If you read AV forums, there are often complaints about 714 fixed soundtracks . I am also considering adding 916 bed or speaker types to my Proposal v3.3. ALso, the maximum speakers for home Atmos is apparently 24.1.10.

Quote:

Quote:

DA = Dolby Atmos.

DDM = Dolby ADM since there are other types of ADM which are not compatible with Dolby tools.

not sure what you mean by your DDM.

Note that Resolve doesn't do DA HE deliverables (iirc).

As said above, just sprinkling a few objects over the top does not a good mix make. It needs to be a thorough effort, preferentially from the start. if you are not going to use a lot of objects then at least use a lot of 3d ambiences.

When DA in RPR is finished, you can export Dolby ADM (DDM) directly from RPR, no need for Resolve to convert ADM/EDM to DDM. DCP does not use ADM directly. If you need theatrical delivery, perhaps you can use Dolby Atmos Conversion Tool to convert DDM to IMF IAB for DCP, and use other software to assemble a full DCP. If you really wanted to, you can still import DDM to resolve for video editing/DCP packaging.

And keep in mind there may be acoustic differences listening @home vs @cinema. Ther may also be specific requirements if doing a DA theater run.

There is also no need to convert surround formats in Resolve either, you can do that in RPR now, and there is a "Multi Mix Convert (L).txt" which can do (some of that) in my suite (see my signature).

Disclaimer: I have not tested any cinema DCP workflow YMMV.

Quote:
Hi all
From my perspective it cant happen soon enough since I'm going to be composing and mixing a low/mid budget feature in immersive format from now (theme is in development) until April 2022 deadline..
DTS-X is mostly 714 at home, but it does array/scale up. If you're doing movie mixing, you can start some groundwork now. Also see my Proposal https://forums.cockos.com/showthread...5767&page=2#66 & comment on that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BartR View Post
The renderer has 128 objects hence 128 channels while Reaper is 64. Is planned an extension eventually?

Another thing ... here I found a video that uses Reaper in bridge on mac.
I see the dolby panner required by the renderer.
Perhaps it's useful to get some hint?
See my post https://forums.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=255767#26 . It's not required (on windows)? As said above, When DA in RPR is finished, you can export Dolby ADM (DDM) directly from RPR, no need for Resolve to convert ADM/EDM to DDM.

If you want to continue using Dolby tools for for RPR on mac, that's still possible.

Quote:
Also DaVinci is only bed, so far (I own DaVinci Studio)
Resolve supports objects. https://learning.dolby.com/hc/en-us/...Vinci-Resolve-

Last edited by junh1024; 09-02-2021 at 06:19 AM.
junh1024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2021, 06:19 AM   #95
BartR

Quote:
Indeed, I'm just busy now with it. Because after the message of bcslaam I got taken by a doubt...

P.S. we'r talking about 7.1.4 bed. But bed on Amtos is 7.1.2 = 10 channls
Old 09-05-2021, 04:19 PM   #96
BartR

Quote:
I went deep today on DaVinci. It's a bit more than 1 month I bought it and it's a discovery each time.
So far has everything integrated SO, even Reaper can have everything integrated. I mean renderer included.
And deliver the full Atmos Audio to Market.

If so (please Schwa correct me if I wrong) perhaps we should pay some fee because Dolby will require this to Cockos. I'm willing to pay it, in case. Of course I'm talking about myself.
Old 09-06-2021, 12:02 AM   #97
junh1024

Quote:
I went deep today on DaVinci. It's a bit more than 1 month I bought it and it's a discovery each time.
So far has everything integrated SO, even Reaper can have everything integrated. I mean renderer included.
And deliver the full Atmos Audio to Market.

If so (please Schwa correct me if I wrong) perhaps we should pay some fee because Dolby will require this to Cockos. I'm willing to pay it, in case. Of course I'm talking about myself.
Please have a deep dive & make sure you understand about Rendering, RSP, and RPR in

https://forums.cockos.com/showpost.p...0&postcount=26

Quote:
Indeed, I'm just busy now with it. Because after the message of bcslaam I got taken by a doubt...

P.S. we'r talking about 7.1.4 bed. But bed on Amtos is 7.1.2 = 10 channls
714 bed is possible. See the "# MAIN PROPOSAL : Reasurroundpan" section

https://forums.cockos.com/showpost.p...4&postcount=66
Old 09-06-2021, 10:07 AM   #98
BartR

Quote:
Please have a deep dive & make sure you understand about Rendering, RSP, and RPR in

https://forums.cockos.com/showpost.p...0&postcount=26

714 bed is possible. See the "# MAIN PROPOSAL : Reasurroundpan" section

https://forums.cockos.com/showpost.p...4&postcount=66

Clear the first point :-)
EDIT: I'm very happy with! it means no obligations :-)

But the second, is not fully clear, because Dolby stated that the Dolby Atmos bed is 7.1.2 and so is indeed. So hence my question: to keep compatibility is required to respect this?

Last edited by BartR; 09-06-2021 at 10:15 AM.
Old 09-07-2021, 11:30 AM   #99
BartR

Besides all what it was told and cleared out, what do you think about to have, into the Renderer, the possibility to mix-down in HRTF to monitor it?

While in Cinema this is not so useful, in music it's important to have also a binaural feedback.

What's your thought about?
Old 09-07-2021, 11:49 PM   #100
junh1024

Quote:
Clear the first point :-)
EDIT: I'm very happy with! it means no obligations :-)

But the second, is not fully clear, because Dolby stated that the Dolby Atmos bed is 7.1.2 and so is indeed. So hence my question: to keep compatibility is required to respect this?
Bed 714 . This is actually implemented as 71 + 4 objects due to (DDM spec/ compatibility)

Quote:
Besides all what it was told and cleared out, what do you think about to have, into the Renderer, the possibility to mix-down in HRTF to monitor it?

While in Cinema this is not so useful, in music it's important to have also a binaural feedback.

What's your thought about?
When RSP renders to CBA, like 714, then you can use 1 of the plentiful HRTF VSTs, like Binauralizer studio (paid), mcfx convolver (free, but complex setup) , or the one for HOA in the IEM suite. No need to duplicate functionality.
Old 09-08-2021, 07:52 AM   #101
BartR

Quote:
When RSP renders to CBA, like 714, then you can use 1 of the plentiful HRTF VSTs, like Binauralizer studio (paid), mcfx convolver (free, but complex setup) , or the one for HOA in the IEM suite. No need to duplicate functionality.
It makes sense till certain point,becausse it means to deliver a partial product, since all the other platforms supporting Atmos, have a binauralizer integrated.

- mcfx is a pain in the ......... beep :-)
- IEM perhaps it can be made with the Multiencoder setup on 10 channels but it's more a panner
- Ok the other ones are commercial (and valid) products
Old 09-08-2021, 09:52 AM   #102
plush2

Quote:
It makes sense till certain point,becausse it means to deliver a partial product, since all the other platforms supporting Atmos, have a binauralizer integrated.

- IEM perhaps it can be made with the Multiencoder setup on 10 channels but it's more a panner
What about sparta binauralizer? I have found it to be relatively easy to work with.
plush2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2021, 10:00 AM   #103
BartR

Quote:
Originally Posted by plush2 View Post
What about sparta binauralizer? I have found it to be relatively easy to work with.
Well you need to load aa JSON file with the source direction ... nice but not practical.
To get the link you need to mouseover, to stay there, to write down the link then to rewrite it into the browser and then you go to: https://audioplugins.iem.sh/website/...gurationfiles/ the user should'nt be involved in programming for such stuff.
That way to approach: no-go

I mean: if you want something is considered frequently and pleasantly used bu users: reduce the "nerdy-stuff" to them and let them do 1 click ...
And then: it's yet a kind of panner. And we don't need it in Amtos, having the required Atmos Panner (supposing we have already this of course).

It's needed something that takes everything in 1 click, and mixes down to Binaural, directly into the Renderer. As it is into the Dolby Renderer, but also in Nuendo.

Last edited by BartR; 09-08-2021 at 10:06 AM.
Old 09-08-2021, 12:04 PM   #104
jm duchenne

Quote:

There is also MyBino and GRMTools SpaceVR, both free and without the need to go through ambisonics:
http://www.cmap.polytechnique.fr/xaudio/mybino/
https://inagrm.com/en/showcase/news/598/nouveaux-spaces
Old 09-08-2021, 12:20 PM   #105
BartR

Quote:
There is also MyBino and GRMTools SpaceVR, both free and without the need to go through ambisonics:
http://www.cmap.polytechnique.fr/xaudio/mybino/
https://inagrm.com/en/showcase/news/598/nouveaux-spaces
MyBINO is 7.1 missing the upper channels of ATMOS. It works for Auro and others. Atmos: nothing

GRM: Atmos 9.1 I do suppose it's 7.1.2. If this is the input configuration. I tested now in a track 10 channels, on top the GRM SpaceMaster to generate the test signals. It seems a good choice IF and only IF it respects the channels' order of Atmos. yes ... good :-)

P.S. I didn't tell to go through ambisonics at all.
I told it would be great if the renderer is delivered with a built-in Binaural encoder. As all the other realities on market, give.
Old 09-08-2021, 12:35 PM   #106
jm duchenne

Quote:
MyBINO is 7.1 missing the upper channels of ATMOS. It works for Auro and others. Atmos: nothing
You can set up to 48 speakers where you want around a sphere... there must be no problem for Atmos ;-)
But yes, of course, some ReaBino would also be nice to have.
Old 09-08-2021, 12:50 PM   #107
BartR

Quote:
You can set up to 48 speakers where you want around a sphere... there must be no problem for Atmos ;-)
But yes, of course, some ReaBino would also be nice to have.
Well Atmos has a precise sequence of speakers. You can't just setup some speaker just to have them.
If the order is not respected, can't be Atmos at all, so it will be not encoded as it should.
Honestly I prefer to avoid any system that's not clearly made for.

however, for such kind of things, never ever delegate third parties software. Or you go out with a finih-shed product, or you get neglected because other ones, they came out with already everything integrated and at the "distance of one click"

Last edited by BartR; 09-08-2021 at 12:56 PM.
Old 09-09-2021, 01:56 AM   #108
junh1024

Quote:
Quote:
It's needed something that takes everything in 1 click, and mixes down to Binaural, directly into the Renderer. As it is into the Dolby Renderer, but also in Nuendo.
Are you sure you did a "deep dive" of Resolve & Nuendo?

"A Dolby Atmos Renderer is still needed for monitoring in binaural, authoring Binaural Render Mode settings..."

https://learning.dolby.com/hc/en-us/...Vinci-Resolve-

"A Dolby Atmos Renderer is still needed for monitoring in binaural..."

https://learning.dolby.com/hc/en-us/...inberg-Nuendo-

For proper DA BIN rendering/monitoring, you need to set the BIN metadata/BIN modes (I can't find an open spec for this), and 2-4 sets of 714 streams (or whatever it's rendered to), to apply the 4 different BIN render modes, which are set for each object. It can get quite complex.

Quote:
Well Atmos has a precise sequence of speakers. You can't just setup some speaker just to have them.
If the order is not respected, can't be Atmos at all, so it will be not encoded as it should.
Honestly I prefer to avoid any system that's not clearly made for.

however, for such kind of things, never ever delegate third parties software. Or you go out with a finih-shed product, or you get neglected because other ones, they came out with already everything integrated and at the "distance of one click"

I'm not sure what you mean by the last statement, but Binauralizer studio seems to support the 714 order which RPR outputs, and can load custom IRs. There are other ones with rotation, IR adjustment, etc.

For Mybino, you can use the
"Auro3D 11.1 (7+4)" layout which is close to generic 714. A 714 layout isn't specific to Atmos, btw, it's also used by DTSX too.

Conclusion: It might not be feasible/affordable to implement proper DA BIN monitoring. BIN monitoring in general may have some merits, but I think it would be best to focus on ADM first.

Last edited by junh1024; 09-09-2021 at 02:39 AM.
Old 09-09-2021, 04:33 AM   #109
BartR

Quote:
Are you sure you did a "deep dive" of Resolve & Nuendo?

"A Dolby Atmos Renderer is still needed for monitoring in binaural, authoring Binaural Render Mode settings..."

"A Dolby Atmos Renderer is still needed for monitoring in binaural..."

https://learning.dolby.com/hc/en-us/...inberg-Nuendo-

For proper DA BIN rendering/monitoring, you need to set the BIN metadata/BIN modes (I can't find an open spec for this), and 2-4 sets of 714 streams (or whatever it's rendered to), to apply the 4 different BIN render modes, which are set for each object. It can get quite complex.

I'm not sure what you mean by the last statement, but Binauralizer studio seems to support the 714 order which RPR outputs, and can load custom IRs. There are other ones with rotation, IR adjustment, etc.

"Auro3D 11.1 (7+4)" layout which is close to generic 714. A 714 layout isn't specific to Atmos, btw, it's also used by DTSX too.

Conclusion: It might not be feasible/affordable to implement proper DA BIN monitoring. BIN monitoring in general may have some merits, but I think it would be best to focus on ADM first.
Do you have it to tell so? I mean DaVinci? Because there is not any sign of binaural mixdown on DAVinci. I'm still looking for it. On 17.3.1 there is not any indication it has.
This is not Binaural. IT's not written in this way.
The other modes are 5.0 or 5.1 to 2.0 classical old fashion way to mix down in the old Dolby Digital stuff.

Old 09-09-2021, 04:39 AM   #110
BartR

Quote:

Yes Binauralizer Studio has it.
What I meant is that: when you release such package: Panner + Renderer as native, to delegate to third parties software to complete the feature, is not a great idea.

it's way better to release a full package as native, included the BIN.
It makes the product: complete.
It will have not any strange cumbersomeness inherited by other strange stuff around.
It will have not further 3rd parties legacy (imagine if one of the BIN convertes company decide to give up. TO bankrupt or else ... all you efforts are vanished :-/ )

Never ever. As much a spossible these things should belong to one "releaser": Cockos.

Perhaps it will be possible to subdivide into gradual features releases (due complexity) ... so far: the panner, then the renderer then the BIN.
Dividing into MVPs. It's a signal it's going ahead something and successfully and with a defined plan.

It means all of us will wait for the great moment :-)
Old 09-11-2021, 10:52 PM   #111
freshandclean

Hi, anyone has try if on Windows i can use rearoute Asio driver to send audio to the dolby atmos renderer ?

Because i try on a mac and on mac we have the dolby audio bridge, but on windows not.

If yes , after that can be done to have the dolby panner work on reaper on windows machine?
freshandclean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2021, 06:18 AM   #112
BartR

Quote:
Originally Posted by freshandclean View Post
Hi, anyone has try if on Windows i can use rearoute Asio driver to send audio to the dolby atmos renderer ?

Because i try on a mac and on mac we have the dolby audio bridge, but on windows not.

If yes , after that can be done to have the dolby panner work on reaper on windows machine?
In fact there is not any Dolby Panner either for Windows. Dolby doesn't care to make one. Thus what's the point to send something to the renderer if you have not what generates the codes for it?

ReaRoute: I tried it with DaVinci Resolve STUDIO 17.3.1 (so: the paid version) to use it as panner/renderer. It works but it's useless... why?
Because it's way better to record and edit with Reaper, export all the stems, then import them into DaVinci and position the objects with it. Then apply up there the plugins (it is compatible with VST2/3 etc) IF EVER they are useful; the levels IF EVER they need to be really touched after the positioning, and render the Dolby Master with it.

PROBLEM: in my case, I have a bug I highlighted to Blackmagic: my panner is useless 'cause the graphic got unreadable. I think there is a not full compatibility with my HW/Drivers. They are investigating. Waiting for a solution.

Last edited by BartR; 09-12-2021 at 02:02 PM.
Old 09-17-2021, 10:21 AM   #113
mlprod

Following!
Old 09-20-2021, 03:34 AM   #114
bcslaam

I am still following and have gone over your proposal @junh1024. I will take your advice to make as many objects as possible and avoid doing it all in beds like what Davinci currently is limited to. You said Davinci doesnt do deliverables, to me it looks like it does. What am I missing?

This also means I'm in a dilemma. Should I invest in the RME MADI cards and a new mac when M2 comes (I dont think my current 2011 i7 macbook pro will cope?) and run Dolby Production Suite (DPS) in order to make deiverables or should I wait 4 months and see if Reaper comes further in this direction, along with Davinci (I have Resolve Studio) and make deliverables without DPS.

Along with the immersive sound for the current feature film I'm working on, I also want to make immersive music for as many formats as is needed for the current HQ music streamers, including binaural.

I could keep producing in stereo for another 4months before I am required to go immersive.

Binauralizer Studio is on sale BTW. I am very tempted.
Old 09-20-2021, 06:18 AM   #115
BartR

Quote:
You said Davinci doesnt do deliverables, to me it looks like it does. What am I missing?
There are full interventions and clarifications about in this thread.
To limit the comment to just one, has not sense, to me, because it put's out of orientation.

I thought it had not the objects and it was working only with Bed.
But it has everything it needs.

I told also DaVinci has not Binaural (despite the Dolby's documentation). I don't see it on manual nor into the exporting- window (I posted it). As far as they do "secretly" ............... :-)
Old 09-21-2021, 02:52 AM   #116
junh1024

Quote:
You said Davinci doesnt do deliverables, to me it looks like it does. What am I missing?
Please quote & link the relevant text you are referencing.

Quote:

This also means I'm in a dilemma. Should I invest in the RME MADI cards and a new mac when M2 comes (I dont think my current 2011 i7 macbook pro will cope?) and run Dolby Production Suite (DPS) in order to make deiverables or should I wait 4 months and see if Reaper comes further in this direction, along with Davinci (I have Resolve Studio) and make deliverables without DPS.

A trial of DAPS is available, ADM test material too so you can test your system.

Quote:
I could keep producing in stereo for another 4months before I am required to go immersive.
I have old projects from 5-8y ago, they were originally 51, now 716, and I am planning on how I will upgrade them & my tools to OBA.

So, no need to delay in RPR, you can continue to make projects in CBA/beds, flag them in your RPP, and just change the mode to obj later. In the worst case you need to copy over your automation.

Quote:
Along with the immersive sound for the current feature film I'm working on, I also want to make immersive music for as many formats as is needed for the current HQ music streamers, including binaural.
If your distributor supports DA , you just need to give them stereo + ADM & the infrastructure will handle the multiple 3d formats including BIN.

https://avid.secure.force.com/pkb/ar...tmos-Music-FAQ

Avidplay supports about 50 outlets currently.
Old 09-21-2021, 02:53 AM   #117
junh1024

Quote:
I thought it had not the objects and it was working only with Bed.
But it has everything it needs.

I told also DaVinci has not Binaural (despite the Dolby's documentation). I don't see it on manual nor into the exporting- window (I posted it). As far as they do "secretly" ............... :-)
Please see again https://forums.cockos.com/showpost.p...&postcount=108

Quote:
In my next proposal there will be 916 beds & layouts.

Do you also want other layouts like 716 & 914 as well?
Old 09-21-2021, 09:41 AM   #118
BartR

Quote:
No Junh. Dolby says that but's not what DaVinci is delivery. I showed you also the screenshot
Please see here > https://forum.cockos.com/showpost.ph...&postcount=109

So for me, Dolby can say what they want. But till the moment I don't see it in real life: I let them talk.
DaVinci ONLY mixes down to normal 2.0 by adding channels not by binauralizing them.

Not even reported as binaural into the manual. It's just a mixdown as reported on my screenshot out the application.

I see you have not DaVinci Resolve Studio, hence you can't base yourself on suppositions/assumptions.

So: drop Dolby statement.

It's valid ONLY if you use External Dolby Renderer. Not the one of DaVinci (indeed it's not even reported into the manual).

Quote:
In my next proposal there will be 916 beds & layouts.
Do you also want other layouts like 716 & 914 as well?
Well, my question was about to understand why 64 channels on 128 objects.
But I think I got it watching some video on how to set it up :-)

Last edited by BartR; 09-21-2021 at 10:06 AM.
Old 09-21-2021, 11:45 PM   #119
junh1024

Quote:
No Junh. Dolby says that but's not what DaVinci is delivery. I showed you also the screenshot
Please see here > https://forum.cockos.com/showpost.ph...&postcount=109

So for me, Dolby can say what they want. But till the moment I don't see it in real life: I let them talk.
DaVinci ONLY mixes down to normal 2.0 by adding channels not by binauralizing them.

Not even reported as binaural into the manual. It's just a mixdown as reported on my screenshot out the application.

I see you have not DaVinci Resolve Studio, hence you can't base yourself on suppositions/assumptions.

So: drop Dolby statement.

It's valid ONLY if you use External Dolby Renderer. Not the one of DaVinci (indeed it's not even reported into the manual).
If you read

When Dolby says "Dolby Renderer", they mean the external renderer.
The "native" renderer is internal renderer.

Dolby is still correct, it's just a matter of phrasing. Sorry if i wasn't clear in my post.

Last edited by junh1024; 09-21-2021 at 11:59 PM.
Old 09-22-2021, 12:58 AM   #120
BartR

Quote:
If you read

When Dolby says "Dolby Renderer", they mean the external renderer.
The "native" renderer is internal renderer.

Dolby is still correct, it's just a matter of phrasing. Sorry if i wasn't clear in my post.
OK then it's clear indeed they say that: DaVinci, to have the possibility to get Binaural, needs the external Dolby Renderer.
This is ok. Indeed.

But DaVinci di per sé, has not any Binaural (which is my point).

Ok we are aligned now :-)

Last edited by BartR; 09-22-2021 at 01:09 AM.