Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Music/Collaboration Discussion

Old 10-30-2017, 01:19 PM   #41
DaveKeehl
Human being with feelings

and just to be clear... I've/We've chosen the FLAC format, because it's uncompressed but still quite light. I don't wanna pay for a google drive or dropbox business account xD
Old 10-30-2017, 01:20 PM   #42
DaveKeehl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy James View Post
I have had Reaper for almost a year now. But I didn't know about this. I spend so much time mixing my band it would be fun to mix something else!
This would help getting to know Reaper plugs. How do I find the next mix song? I am really excited about this!
usually the contest starts around the 5th-6th of every month go on the website to see October's schedule so you have an idea on how it works
Old 10-30-2017, 01:21 PM   #43
dug dog

Cool. Thanks.
I'll make a point of downloading.
dug dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2017, 05:07 AM   #44
DaveKeehl

And the winner is...

Grass

Congrats You have just been granted the supreme power of choosing a song for the November contest Go here and choose a song you like. When you're done, PM and let me know

Old 11-01-2017, 05:20 AM   #45
DaveKeehl

Updated Top 20

Old 11-01-2017, 05:24 AM   #46
dug dog

Hey Dave: Where do we go to get a look at the winning project file? Very useful for us aspiring mixers.

Thanks.
Old 11-01-2017, 05:25 AM   #47
DaveKeehl

I'll do it tonight! I've reached the limit of 15 GB on google drive and need to free some space hahahaha
Old 11-01-2017, 05:30 AM   #48
dug dog

Cheers!
Old 11-01-2017, 06:18 AM   #49
martinmadero

congratulations to the winner! and all who participate this month!
martinmadero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2017, 06:21 AM   #50
DaveKeehl

also a few updates:

I'm rehashing that old sticky thread at the top of the Music/Collaboration Discussion forum section, because it didn't make a lot of sense of letting it die like that. So now I'm updating it to have it like a sort of central hub here on the forum.

I also started another thread where I asked if there is anyone interested in having his/her music mixed next year because we're running out of good songs on the Cambridge website. So, if someone is interested, please raise your hand and get in touch with me
Old 11-01-2017, 06:38 AM   #51
uncleswede

My personal feedback - bearing in mind that my mix came joint last ;-)
Your mileage may very well vary :-)

Mix 1
Main vocal and bass pretty good. The drums for me were far too heavy and the background vocals could have been more
distinct - they were kind of lost in the mix. Also I thought the mix overall was a bit too bright.
I particularly liked the constructed outro with the string lines poached from earlier in the project. Nice!

Mix 2
I didn't like the slap back reverb on the main vocal. The acoustic drum mix sounded fine but the
electronic drums were far too loud for my taste. I thought the backing vocals with mixed really well
but possibly the main vocal wasn't quite as clear and balanced as it could have been and
I didn't like the fact that there was no attempt at a proper outro

Mix 3
Generally I thought this was a pretty good mix all round. It was my fourth favourite.
My only criticisms really are that I felt that the overall mix was too bright with a bit of harshness
and again I would have liked some sort of outro, albeit just a clean fade or the constructed outro like in Mix 1

Mix 4
I like this mix. This was my second favourite mix :-) I thought it had a particularly strong instrumental section
although the drums after the instrumental section were too weak to my taste. Apart from that a good,
balanced mix with good EQ. Still would like to have heard a proper outro :-)

Mix 5
I really like the main vocal quality and balance on this mix. However the overall drum mix was not to my taste
with the electronic drums being far too loud. It all comes down to taste really. I thought the overall mix
was very bright and, again, I would have liked to have seen a proper Outro

Mix 6
Thought the main vocal on this was a bit bright and was a little bit harsh as a result. I thought the
bass guitar could have been a bit stronger/louder or maybe a have a little bit of distortion on it to
cut through the mix. The drums I thought were too loud, particularly the snare. The backing vocals
I thought were too quiet as was the instrumental section. I would like to have seen a proper outro

Mix 7
Excellent main vocals, pretty good distinct bass guitar. The drum mix I didn't particularly like :-(
I thought the electronic drums were too loud. The backing vocals I thought were brilliantly mixed
but I thought the overall mix was probably a bit harsh. Ideally I would like to have seen a proper outro

Mix 8
Overall this was my favourite mix :-) I think the main vocal could have been a tiny bit quieter overall,
just to sit better in the mix, and with maybe slightly less reverb. But overall I thought the main
vocal sounded great. I thought the drums sounded particularly good as did the backing vocals, and
I thought the overall mix was balanced and well EQ'd. There was a outro fade which pleased me,
although I preferred Mix 1's constructed outro

Mix 9
I felt that the main vocal was over compressed and too loud in the mix. The bass and drums were
pretty good as were the backing vocals. I would have liked to seen the proper outro.
Overall I thought the mix was very dense
uncleswede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2017, 06:48 AM   #52
DaveKeehl

@uncleswede you're the best
Old 11-01-2017, 09:35 AM   #53
Grass

Thank you! I am very glad to participate in this contest! I think the reaper's plugins idea is a very proper!) I will be glad to talk about mixing. Special thanks to @uncleswede for your useful information
Grass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2017, 12:51 PM   #54
Jimmy James

Quote:
Originally Posted by uncleswede View Post
thank you, this is very interesting. I have never heard of this before.
Jimmy James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2017, 12:53 PM   #55
Jimmy James

Will there be a new thread for the next song to mix? I only use Reaper EQ, so I need the fastest head start possible LOL! This will get me on some more JS plugins thogh.

edit: NVM, I see now the Download says Oct. I didn't see a month on it before the download. So I was not sure.

I know it is reaper plugins only. But what is JS custom plugins? Are those stock? Or do ppl download those?

Last edited by Jimmy James; 11-01-2017 at 01:07 PM.
Jimmy James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2017, 01:03 PM   #56
DaveKeehl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy James View Post
Will there be a new thread for the next song to mix? I only use Reaper EQ, so I need the fastest head start possible LOL! This will get me on some more JS plugins thogh.

edit: NVM, I see now the Download says Oct. I didn't see a month on it before the download. So I was not sure.
yes I'm creating right now the new thread
Old 11-01-2017, 02:18 PM   #57
kgarello

Congrats Grass! Nice job!

Hopefully I will be posting my listening notes tonight.
kgarello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2017, 05:57 PM   #58
kgarello

Here are the notes I took while listening.

1. I like the strings outro. verse 1 seems low compared to intro. Vocals distant. Kick, low end missing, mids seem cloudy

2. Intro reverb on vocal seems to big clouding vocals. Transission from intro to pre verse cool. big. Lots of low mid. I think bass is too forward and reverb too much causing muddy mix - if bass was dropped a lot I think everything else is ok.

3. Good Intro and transition to pre-verse. Bass not big enough in pre-chorus and chorus. Outro Chorus Nice

4. Arena intro and pre-verse not distinct enough... verse cool. I like more hi-mid on snare - strange background vox on Pre-chorus (too loud on left?).. cool break panning. ending pretty good, but I would want more there...

5. Loud but clean intro.. pre-verse way back..cool back ground vocal effect in pre-verse, would like more low end overall. Slap distinct in outro.

6. intro lower than most. Big Pre-chorus - vocals very forward -- I like the bottom end and slap in chorus. Vox needs work. and maybe mid lows.

7. Vox verb big but nice. good pre-verse transition - got louder without falling back. Verse pumping compression but good balance. Mix grooves. Bottom drums may be too big. Break to 2nd chorus nice transition.

8. Intro vox effects different. kind of spooky. Mix is cool but dark. Would have liked more drum for groove.

9. Cool vocal arrangement - no center at the start then comes in center on chorus. Would like more high-mids. Good sound stage separation (I don't know if that is a thing). Strong Mix overall.
kgarello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2017, 09:50 AM   #59
hwhalen

Hi Dave, my username is actually hwhalen not hwalen, not that big a thing but I'll probably submit again...

Cheers

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveKeehl View Post
Updated Top 20

hwhalen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2017, 09:53 AM   #60
DaveKeehl

sorry my bad. Why did you quote the top 20?
Old 11-02-2017, 02:45 PM   #61
Fergler

I missed the date on this one. Maybe november.. I will reclaim the throne. >
Fergler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2017, 08:15 PM   #62
dug dog

Having the project files for all submissions was very educational. Very cool to see some of the JS plugs at work (many of which I've never used.)

Also, very interesting to see the different approaches to layouts, routing and processing. Some projects had very minimalist approaches to processing, while others completely choked my modest internet computer.

Thanks to all who participated. I think I would have been scared off by the track count!
Old 11-02-2017, 11:34 PM   #63
hwhalen

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveKeehl View Post
sorry my bad. Why did you quote the top 20?
Sorry my bad, I just quoted, didn't purposely do it.
hwhalen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2017, 08:18 AM   #64
uncleswede

@DaveKeehl I can't find the link to the submitted projects for October on the contest site. I'd like to study the mix strategy of the winning project :-)
Old 11-03-2017, 08:34 AM   #65
dug dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by uncleswede View Post
I'd like to study the mix strategy of the winning project :-)
Link is in the first post of this thread.
Old 11-03-2017, 10:45 AM   #66
uncleswede

Cheers. Got it.