Old 05-17-2017, 10:14 AM   #1
robgb
Human being with feelings
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 84
Default Faderport Problem?

Love the Faderport XT driver, but is there a way to set the fader to soft takeover? I find that when I go to a new track and touch the hardware, the fader onscreen automatically jumps to where the hardware fader is set, which throws off the mix.



So is there any way to let the software control volume until the hardware fader makes "contact" with the software fader? I looked in the ini file and couldn't find anything.

I tried using Kenny Gioia's method but the software fader jumped all over the place every time I touched the hardware fader. (It also did this when I tried setting it up without the XT driver.)


Last edited by robgb; 05-18-2017 at 09:49 AM. Reason: Included video
robgb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2017, 04:59 AM   #2
somebodyelseuk
Human being with feelings
 
somebodyelseuk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Birmingham, UK
Posts: 883
Default

All I can say is follow this exactly.

http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.p...ight=faderport

I did, I tweeked a couple of settings, unrelated to the fader, but it doesn't do what you describe.

As far as I know, the Faderport behaves like a MIDI controller, but it isn't actually a MIDI controller - I don't think it sends/receives MIDI messages, but I don't know for sure.

Is the FP running the latest firmware version?
__________________
"As long as I stay between the sun & my shadow, I guess I'm doing well."
somebodyelseuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2017, 06:48 AM   #3
karbomusic
Human being with feelings
 
karbomusic's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 19,096
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by somebodyelseuk View Post
All I can say is follow this exactly.

http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.p...ight=faderport

I did, I tweeked a couple of settings, unrelated to the fader, but it doesn't do what you describe.

As far as I know, the Faderport behaves like a MIDI controller, but it isn't actually a MIDI controller - I don't think it sends/receives MIDI messages, but I don't know for sure.

Is the FP running the latest firmware version?
They are midi messages IIRC but through the control surface interface. Just always make sure it is disabled as a MIDI device in MIDI devices and is enabled for MIDI communication (both in and out) in the Control Surface setup dialog.
__________________
Your whole life people will tell you what you can't do. Getting past them is the first step to actually getting things done.
karbomusic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2017, 06:51 AM   #4
karbomusic
Human being with feelings
 
karbomusic's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 19,096
Default

Quote:
So is there any way to let the software control volume until the hardware fader makes "contact" with the software fader? I looked in the ini file and couldn't find anything.
When you change to a new track in Reaper, the FP should chase that and auto change to match the volume of the newly selected track so there should never be a reason to need soft takeover because the physical and software faders should never be out of sync - I'm not seeing soft take over needed with a motorized fader with two-way communication - assuming I don't need more coffee since I just woke up.

Edit: You are using the AC power adapter for the FP correct? I believe it needs that to move the fader motor.
__________________
Your whole life people will tell you what you can't do. Getting past them is the first step to actually getting things done.
karbomusic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2017, 06:55 AM   #5
karbomusic
Human being with feelings
 
karbomusic's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 19,096
Default

Quote:
Love the Faderport XT driver, but is there a way to set the fader to soft takeover? I find that when I go to a new track and touch the hardware, the fader onscreen automatically jumps to where the hardware fader is set, which throws off the mix.
There is a tiny switch in the faderport fader. It is actuated by barely touching the fader which in turn sends the midi volume message to Reaper, that is the only thing I can think off of the top of my head that could cause the reaper fader follow the FP fader instead of the other way around.

Which firmware are you on, just make sure it isn't 1.3.5 because it has issues with the motorized fader.
__________________
Your whole life people will tell you what you can't do. Getting past them is the first step to actually getting things done.
karbomusic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2017, 09:20 AM   #6
robgb
Human being with feelings
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 84
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by karbomusic View Post
There is a tiny switch in the faderport fader. It is actuated by barely touching the fader which in turn sends the midi volume message to Reaper, that is the only thing I can think off of the top of my head that could cause the reaper fader follow the FP fader instead of the other way around.

Which firmware are you on, just make sure it isn't 1.3.5 because it has issues with the motorized fader.
Unfortunately, plugging in the power supply made no difference. I bought the FaderPort less than a year ago, so it should have the latest firmware, but will check into it. Hopefully that's the problem.
robgb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2017, 09:18 AM   #7
robgb
Human being with feelings
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 84
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by somebodyelseuk View Post
All I can say is follow this exactly.

http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.p...ight=faderport

I did, I tweeked a couple of settings, unrelated to the fader, but it doesn't do what you describe.

As far as I know, the Faderport behaves like a MIDI controller, but it isn't actually a MIDI controller - I don't think it sends/receives MIDI messages, but I don't know for sure.

Is the FP running the latest firmware version?
Thanks, but I did all this before I posted. When that didn't work, I tried Kenny's tutorial and got the fader jumping all over the place.
robgb is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 10:27 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions Inc.