Old 07-15-2017, 07:35 AM   #1
BlindFish
Human being with feelings

Default Muting Midi Out while Recording

Hi everyone,
i am using a track template that creates 16 tracks (one for every midi channel) nested inside a folder track. These 16 channels are set up for recording the appropriate midi channel of my synth workstation. The folder track is set up to send the midi back to the synth workstation on the original channel so after recording i can listen to what was recorded.

The problem now is that when i am recording, each note is played twice, once by me when pressing a key and a second time by Reaper which is sending out the receiving midi data back to my synth. The synth has an option to mute the local tone generator so only notes that are received via midi can be heared, but due to a noticible delay between pressing a key and having the data sent back from Reaper this function is quite useless at the moment.

does someone have an idea how to work around this issue?
BlindFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2017, 07:39 AM   #2
EvilDragon

Gotta hate MIDI feedback loops is all I can say... You should probably disable hardware MIDI sends when recording.
EvilDragon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2017, 07:49 AM   #3
BlindFish

Yes, this would indeed be the most obvious operation :-). however, it is not so helpful on a beat creation workflow. to be honest, i didn't really expect a solution for this. but as i discover new things in reaper every day, i wouldn't have been surprised either.
Old 07-15-2017, 07:52 AM   #4
EvilDragon

I am not sure what else to suggest, it's obvious you have MIDI feedback going on, and the only way to sort it out is to simply not have it...
Old 07-15-2017, 08:06 AM   #5
BlindFish

Looks like i got one step closer after chosing the right keywords in Google.

Playing around with the midi output offset seems to be really helpful in my case. Of course, this only helps when i turn the local TG off or if i use another keyboard to input my midi notes, but for now it appears to be much better than nothing.

Thank you anyway!
Old 07-15-2017, 12:00 PM   #6
DarkStar

How about muting those 'MIDI' tracks, select the first and last and click one Mute button. Or just Mute the folder track?
Old 07-16-2017, 02:28 AM   #7
BlindFish

Muting might work in some cases when recording simple instrument tracks. But it would require continous action to mute / unmute tracks and this is not what i want in my idea recording phase. Also, muting is not an option when it comes to overdub recordings.
Old 07-16-2017, 03:03 AM   #8
EvilDragon

I don't think this can be solved, really. As long as there's MIDI feedback going on, any DAW would have a problem with it, no?

Perhaps you should rethink your workflow?
Old 07-16-2017, 03:17 AM   #9
BlindFish

Actually i am fine with the solution posted yesterday. Adjusting the Midi Output Offset value reduces the latency in a way that i do not care anymore. i have also changed some of my track templates to not play my synth with its own keyboard but remotely through a NI Kontrol and for now this seems to work pretty well.

i guess it wouldn't be such an issue for most people out there to rethink their habits and workflows. as i am legally blind i often have a hard time finding proper solutions for the things i have in mind :-).