Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Pre-Release Discussion

Old 07-15-2017, 03:15 PM   #41
mschnell
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Winter View Post
Reccomended priorities:

99 kernel threads
95 sound card interrupt handler
80 jackd/or reaper (ALSA)
50 hardware interrupt handlers
1 software timers
0 most threads

This pretty much covers the configuration of low latency audio on Linux. Hope it's useful and that I didn't ramble too much
Very interesting information !!!

Regarding the other Thread here:

1) What about the VSTs ? (I suppose Reaper handles them as (Audio) threads with the appropriate priority setting

2) What about Windows VST running in Wine ? Can the the "bridged" processes running via Wine be assigned decent priorities ?

-Michael

Last edited by mschnell; 07-16-2017 at 02:17 PM.
mschnell is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2017, 02:06 AM   #42
4duhwinnn

Quote:
Originally Posted by mschnell View Post
A bad idea regarding performance issues, as the next urgent project will be more demanding.

-Michael
You've missed the context of both the question I replied to,
and my reply itself. The questions are those of someone
new to linux audio, and my reply was to proceed based on
existing conditions and experience. Most people won't ever have
a string of 'urgent projects', each more demanding than the last,
but will develope a routine and workflow that evolves with increasing knowledge and experience.

The most bitter linux haters were new linux users once,
were promised a fanboi's treasure, rushed in blindly,
were then poorly supported, and staggered away from the trainwreck,
never to return.

If_it's_broke,_fix_it

If_it_ain't_broke,_don't_fix_it,_write_a_song...
Cheers
4duhwinnn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2017, 04:57 AM   #43
Jack Winter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mschnell View Post
[b]Very[\b] interesting information !!!

Regarding the other Thread here:

1) What about the VSTs ? (I suppose REeaper handles them as (Audio) threads with the appropriate priority setting

2) What about Windows VST running in Wine ? Can the the "bridged" processes running via Wine be assigned decent priorities ?

-Michael
Yes it does. It makes some calls from a realtime context (audio processing), and others like GUI code from a non realtime context. This ought to work fine with linux vsts.

The interesting problem is with windows vsts, as they run as a different process with their own threads. I wrote a patch for wine many years ago called wine-rt, which allows windows programs that ask for elevated thread priorities to get their threads scheduled as realtime threads. Been using this for years to run reaper in wine with good success. With some plugins I can see them using this functionality to set a high priority thread.

This patch is not part of normal wine, but you could patch wine and build it yourself to get this capability. Some distros (kxstudio, maybe others) might have a wine-rt package, and the functionality has been added to wine-staging, but it needs to be activated by setting a couple of environment variables. For wine-rt it's WINE_RT and WINE_SRV_RT, and for wine-staging it's STAGING_RT_PRIORITY_BASE and STAGING_RT_PRIORITY_SERVER.

Regarding LinVst both me and osxmidi have recently added realtime support, albeit in different ways. To add osxmidi's realtime support you have to build it with a special makefile, and it will try to run lin-vst-server with all threads as realtime.

I submitted a patch that hasn't made it into the main LinVst repo, but which is available on my github fork: https://github.com/jhernberg/LinVst/tree/realtime

This patch takes a different approach. When reaper calls the plugin, it asks for the priority of the calling thread, then sends that info over the named pipes and finally sets the same priority of thread handling the request in wine. This means if reaper is asking linvst to process audio from a realtime thread, then the corresponding thread in lin-vst-server.exe will get the same priority.

I suppose one could even combine the two patches and run them at the same time. But haven't had much time to play with this, as I need to work on music and not hack code

So to sum it up, linux vsts ought to work fine even at low latencies. Windows vsts will work fine in LinVst without doing anything special, but for lower latency it could benefit from:

1. Use and configure realtime support in either wine-rt or wine-staging.
2. Use either osxmidi's or my recent realtime support in LinVst

I'll try to get around to cleaning up my linvst github and write a howto in the other thread.
Software: Archlinux/KDE/Wine, Reaper64, Komplete8, IK Multimedia, Toontrack and various other plugs. Gear: i7-2600k, 16gb ram, RME Multiface, RME Babyface, Behringer X32, Genelec 8040, and much more :)

Last edited by Jack Winter; 07-16-2017 at 05:05 AM.
Jack Winter is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2017, 02:21 PM   #44
mschnell

Really interesting stuff, indeed !!!
-Michael
Old 07-20-2017, 02:54 PM   #45
obx777

Default Thank You!

Just want to say thank you for doing Reaper in Linux to all those involved.

I was notified by a friend who is still on Windows, "hey dude I think Reaper is on Linux now." I was like, "no man that is some stuff that has been sitting for years, that is not a real build." Then I started searching.

Then I found a .deb file for Reaper here:
http://www.bandshed.net/packages/reaper-linux/
Not sure who is posting these .deb files for us Linux dummies who don't know that package and library trickery but thanks!! For those not familiar a .deb file will click and install on Ubuntu (and others I think) like a Windows install program.

I downloaded, clicked and Unbutu studio loaded it up fast!, I selected JACK audio (had it running already) and BAM instant Reaper on my Ubuntu system!!!

Also, had an issue with an audio stuttering start and it was fixed before I could even comment here!

Reaper in the past has alway "just worked" for me. It just works.

Who is running the beta testing and where do we comment if we find anything?

I would post on you main Download page that Beta Reaper Linux is here!!
obx777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2017, 06:26 PM   #46
clepsydrae

Quote:
Originally Posted by obx777 View Post
Who is running the beta testing and where do we comment if we find anything?

I would post on you main Download page that Beta Reaper Linux is here!!
Someone will correct me if I'm wrong, but I think it's still in a sort of "pre-alpha" stage; last time I checked in, it wasn't time to start reporting bugs yet, but maybe that will change soon...
clepsydrae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 01:46 AM   #47
Jack Winter

Please feel free to report any issues you find in this thread.
Software: Archlinux/KDE/Wine, Reaper64, Komplete8, IK Multimedia, Toontrack and various other plugs. Gear: i7-2600k, 16gb ram, RME Multiface, RME Babyface, Behringer X32, Genelec 8040, and much more :)
Old Yesterday, 04:22 AM   #48
svoufff

Sincere apologies if someone answered me yesterday on IRC but i got severely disconnected all day long, so i will post here from now on.

Hi !
I installed Reaper from AUR on an Arch/kde5 distro.
Installs and runs without problem but a lot of fonts on the main panel (timeline, tempo, track names, track inputs...) are corrupted like this :

http://imgur.com/GtYTsdA

No tweaks applied, default theme and layout.

Maybe a missing font ? or an option in the config files ?
Sorry, I'm very new to reaper.I searched the original (long) thread on this forum but couldn't find the same problem.
Another AUR user reports the same in the package comments.
svoufff is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 04:37 AM   #49
Jack Winter

What is the output of: "find /usr/share/fonts -type f" ?
Old Yesterday, 05:12 AM   #50
svoufff

https://pastebin.com/2tZsyqrn
Old Yesterday, 06:43 AM   #51
Justin
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by svoufff View Post
The easiest thing to do is to install ttf-freefont or ttf-dejavu.

(In a pinch you could add some lines to reaper.ini to help it find some of the other installed fonts, in fact I'm going to modify the stock libSwell to work in this scenario (there's a quirk in the font mapper), but for now just install one of the above packages)

Last edited by Justin; Yesterday at 06:56 AM.
Justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 11:12 AM   #52
svoufff

Worked perfect, thanks mucho !
I relayed the info on the Arch package comments.
Old Yesterday, 12:09 PM   #53
marxmarv

Default not enough recursion

5.50rc6, Debian 9
I can't load JSFX. The directories themselves are presented to me as the scripts.
Likewise, the VST search path in Preferences -> VST doesn't appear to be searched recursively on Linux as it was in Windows. Possibly the same bug?
(btw, great job on loading VSTs once found, especially @osxmidi . All my Windows plugs load great.)
marxmarv is offline   Reply With Quote