Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Bug Reports

Old 10-16-2021, 12:24 PM   #1
alek2
Human being with feelings

Default Roland Zenology and REAPER sampling rate issue

Hello, I'm new here.

I'd like to issue a bug report.

The problem is with Roland Zenology Pro VST3i in REAPER. I never had this problem in REAPER until recently, when I updated the Zenology Pro. But I think the problem may be in REAPER.

The problem is, my harmonically sounding track sounds like a horror movie soundtrack, when using Zenology Pro.

I have already contacted Roland Customer Support, and they said that 44.1kHz sampling rate should be enabled.

But I have always had the 44.1kHz 24-bit sampling rate, and I have never changed it.

I just noticed that when I reopened REAPER which opens up the last saved project(s) in one tab or multiple tabs - then there is that dissonance in the track(s). But when I close those last saved projects and I reopen the other version of my track, which previously sounded dissonant with that bug - it surprisingly sounded fine!

Here's what Roland Customer Support responded:
"We've seen that issue sporadically with Windows DAWS running at 44.1kHz, and it may be that the DAW isn't notifying Zenoogy of the proper sampling rate, so it defaults to 48kHz and bad sound ensues. The Reaper camp could probably offer a deeper insight into what may be going on."

I am using the latest REAPER v6.37 in Windows 10, using ASUS gaming laptop and Steinberg UR 22 mkII audio interface.

Could you please help me! Thank you!

Regards,

alek2
alek2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2021, 02:23 PM   #2
domzy

There are several places where sample rate can get set - The interface's control panel, Reaper preferences, project settings, and windows audio settings. Have you ensured that 44.1khz is set in each of these?
Is it possible that some other app or Reaper project is set to 48khz & is trying to take control of the interface's sample rate?
domzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2021, 03:18 PM   #3
alek2

The interface's control panel - CHECKED (44.1kHz)
Reaper preferences - CHECKED (I checked the box to have a requested sample rate 44100Hz)
project settings - CHECKED (checked the project sample rate box to 44100Hz)
and windows audio settings - CHECKED (it is 44100Hz)

But none of these settings helped, even when I tried to restart REAPER - it still sounds like a horror movie soundtrack!

I have no idea if another app is set to 48000Hz. I haven't touched any settings of any other app. I haven't changed anything to 48000Hz or to anything other Hz. I have pretty much dedicated my music laptop to run only REAPER and the essential VST/VSTi plugins, and I haven't installed any other music apps, neither games nor such on that computer.

Neither have I used 48000Hz on any other Reaper projects - only the 44.1kHz sampling rate, which has been commanded by the default settings of the audio interface.
Old 10-16-2021, 04:06 PM   #4
domzy

Quote:
Originally Posted by alek2 View Post
it still sounds like a horror movie soundtrack!
That's a good thing isn't it? It's almost Halloween

Sorry i couldn't help.
domzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2021, 05:58 PM   #5
alek2

The effort is much appreciated!

Maybe the key to this problem is what I wrote before:

"I just noticed that when I reopened REAPER which opens up the last saved project(s) in one tab or multiple tabs - then there is that dissonance in the track(s). But when I close those last saved projects and I reopen the other version of my track, which previously sounded dissonant with that bug - it surprisingly sounded fine!"

And I continue from that: When I again close the REAPER, and reopen REAPER, then the track becomes again horrifyingly dissonant. (Back to square one.)

So - I have noticed that:

1) When opening REAPER again, the opening screen of REAPER does not treat the to-be-loaded/last-saved project (which has a Zenology Pro track) properly with 44.1kHz sample rate.

2) and only when one opens the project from within the REAPER: File -> Open Project... OR Recent Projects - only then REAPER treats the newly opened project (which has a Zenology Pro track) with 44.1kHz sample rate.

3) And when I close REAPER again after the phase 2, then reopen REAPER, then we are back to phase 1, and the 44.1kHz sample rate does not work with Zenology Pro.

So - there must be some fundamental difference when opening the project at start-up and when opening the project from the navigation bar. What that is, in terms of the computer code? I leave it developers.

I hope this helps to clarify things for the developers.