Old 06-23-2015, 09:23 PM   #81
hopi
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by heda View Post
I suggest you to add the tracks form the script using the + button. Maybe easier. Select all the tracks you want to have the dpmeter and click + button. It should add the dpmeter correctly at the end of the chain in all selected tracks. Same to remove.. using the - button.

oh what a good idea! I did not understand that + - part. Works like a charm and is MUCH easier... you are brilliant!
Old 06-24-2015, 01:36 AM   #82
heda

thank you. I'm brilliant? You made my day...

Everything will be better explained in a HTML webpage help with licecaps or maybe a videotutorial. For now the little time I have I need to do the script's code
heda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2015, 02:58 AM   #83
heda

Sorry I couldn't really do any scripting last week. This morning I have found some precious hours to be able to advance a bit in the script. I'm making progress today with the markers at overs.
testing 3 added features for pre16
+ Button to refresh track's names and colors
+ Create markers or regions at overs
+ Customizable Master color
Old 07-04-2015, 03:37 AM   #84
X-Raym

It will be very nice and useful god work man !
X-Raym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2015, 08:43 AM   #85
imispgh

Has anyone seen or tried this?

https://www.klangfreund.com/lufsmeter/

The 60 sec demo seems nice. It also lets you chnage the loudness to a determined level.

Thoughts?

Last edited by imispgh; 07-04-2015 at 09:18 AM.
imispgh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2015, 09:12 AM   #86
X-Raym

it does look nice but the deep level REAPER integration of heda's script beats any kind of VST.
Think about region integration, multitrack flexibility, zoom on time selection and the other stuff.
Nothing can compete with that...
And price is far more accessible with Heda's script ! (but if you want to pay more, you are welcome )
Old 07-04-2015, 10:02 AM   #87
imispgh

I think you need to add the Adjust capability. I don't want to have to figure that out manually every time
imispgh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2015, 02:09 PM   #88
musicbynumbers

Quote:
Originally Posted by X-Raym View Post
it does look nice but the deep level REAPER integration of heda's script beats any kind of VST.
Think about region integration, multitrack flexibility, zoom on time selection and the other stuff.
Nothing can compete with that...
And price is far more accessible with Heda's script ! (but if you want to pay more, you are welcome )
indeed. Nothings come close to Heda's script!
Old 07-05-2015, 04:36 PM   #89
heda

Thanks. Indeed there are many plugins but I haven't seen any with the graph linked to the timeline and integrated in such way with the DAW. This is why I think this is interesting.

Pre16 is able to add regions or markers at overs. Finally working. It was more complicated than I thought. Or maybe it is too hot for my brain to code but it works now.
Also, clicking on the regions to analyze the segment and add adjustments to the selected envelope. It can be improved. Experimental work in progress.

click image to see gif

Last edited by heda; 07-05-2015 at 05:04 PM.
Old 07-05-2015, 04:46 PM   #90
BenK-msx

Automatically adjusting envelopes to fix the overs...

V smart!

I'd go so far as to apply the term sexy.
Old 07-05-2015, 05:09 PM   #91
heda

Thank you BenK-msx

I was experimenting a bit with it. It works but it can create a sudden noticeable level change. The good thing is that then you can manually adjust the envelope further to fade in and out more the adjustment. Or maybe it is better to apply a compressor. Or adjusting the envelope in the overs as spk77 script does in his Manipulate take volume envelope script.
Old 07-05-2015, 05:39 PM   #92
BenK-msx

V cool.
If that kind of fine point envelope was an option that'd be good but cam see it useful to keep a general area level as now

Would it be possible/helpful to apply % amount of correction in the current form so user can decide what is too noticeable or OK?

Excellent work by you and the other scripters. It's nuts.
Old 07-05-2015, 06:20 PM   #93
hopi

Quote:
Thanks. Indeed there are many plugins but I haven't seen any with the graph linked to the timeline and integrated in such way with the DAW. This is why I think this is interesting.

Pre16 is able to add regions or markers at overs. Finally working. It was more complicated than I thought. Or maybe it is too hot for my brain to code but it works now.
Also, clicking on the regions to analyze the segment and add adjustments to the selected envelope. It can be improved. Experimental work in progress.

click image to see gif
Heda... are saying there IS going to be possible an automatic adjustment of the Overs? Or that it now exists in pre 16? [I don't have 16 just yet]
Old 07-05-2015, 06:49 PM   #94
heda

Quote:
Originally Posted by hopi View Post
Heda... are saying there IS going to be possible an automatic adjustment of the Overs? Or that it now exists in pre 16? [I don't have 16 just yet]
as you can see in the gifs, it already exists in pre16. It's semi-automatic, because you have to click on each region to adjust them one by one. At least for now. I need to test it a bit more. Maybe later it could automatically do all regions.
pre16 is not released yet, I wanted to show you all a bit of how it is going.
Old 07-05-2015, 07:49 PM   #95
hopi

thanks for the info.... not released yet, ...well that explains why I don't have it yet...

I reapeat: you ARE brilliant

longer story: the recent works of the scripting masters is adding SO much to reaper it is quite astounding. To me it is an aspect of Ver. 5 that is not yet taken into account by the average bear.
Old 07-06-2015, 10:05 AM   #96
heda

I agree with you hopi. REAPER 4 also has great scripting capabilities with EEL, but I think Lua integration in REAPER 5 will be more successful. I am surprised many users don't know about reascripts possibilities with REAPER, they don't even visit the JSFX and reascript sub forum. I am thinking I will announce the scripts in the general forum once they reach final version. And Cockos is certainly not doing anything to promote reascripts to the general public. Maybe in the future they could do something about it if they want. It has been mentioned before, how nice would it be an official Cockos blog, where they talk about latest features implemented with detailed explanations, or where they can showcase a featured script of the month for example. Or just put some screenshots of scripts working in the main site or something.

I will release pre16 tonight. Even if the adjustment is not finished yet, at least you will have the add markers or regions at overs. I want to make the buttons like toolbar icons too.
Old 07-06-2015, 12:48 PM   #97
heda

Default Download Update

v1.0pre16 (2015-07-06)
+ Customizable Master color in Options
# moved ML/SL/IL button and a bit bigger.
+ Create markers or regions at overs (master track overs)
+ Experimental: Click on Region to analyze and adjust selected envelope.
+ musicbynumbers added to list of sponsors

Download (zip icon in the patreon post): https://www.patreon.com/posts/2847061

Create Markers or Regions at overs(defined in options) works for overs in the master track only. So you need to have activated the master track. Which it should be by default.
You can experiment with the clicking of the regions to analyze and adjust selected envelope. but it is still experimental for fun. When you click on a region, it selects the region time, does a first pass analyzing the loudness, and then rewinds again to play and update the graph. You can click again in the Create Markers at overs to update them.
Old 07-06-2015, 05:01 PM   #98
hopi

ummmm... I know I'm not the sharpest spoon in the drawer but 16 has really got me confused...

it seems to write to the env. on the master [Vol. env.] but often as not it drops the points to where the section that was an over becomes inaudible... i.e., the points go way, way down... this is likely some user confusion but I'm just not getting it...

I guess what I expected was that it would just lower the volume to just below the Over amount????

OK... also... I'm wondering this: why would it do this only on the Master? In my thinking I would want it done on a track by track basis... for example: let's say we have 4 tracks and two of them have Overs... so what makes sense to me is to lower just those Overs and then see how it all comes out [expecting the Master to now be OK]

Am I crazy? ...or just too confused to understand this?
Old 07-06-2015, 06:32 PM   #99
heda

Don't worry.. the reason I was not releasing pre16 is because the adjustment part is not finished.. so I just put it as experimental in the current state... It will be better.
You have to select first an envelope track or it will mess with the master as you describe. The program should check if the user has selected an envelope first.
I need also to do a way to specify the track on which you want to analyze, insert markers and adjust. Not only in the master track as it is now.
Old 07-06-2015, 06:34 PM   #100
kindafishy

This looks like very advanced and creative use of REAPER's new scripting capabilities. Most impressive.

What is a practical application for this? I am not at all being disingenuous here, I would really like to know.
kindafishy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2015, 06:58 PM   #101
heda

Quote:
Originally Posted by kindafishy View Post
What is a practical application for this? I am not at all being disingenuous here, I would really like to know.
Well, for me it is really helping while mixing. I setup each group with a track analysis bus and then I can visually confirm the loudness of them relative to each other. It helps also training your ear for loudness if used constantly as a visual reference. It helps also to quickly spot something that is really low volume and you forgot it was there in the mix...
Then for film and post production, or broadcast industry, it is mandatory to always check loudness levels so it is a good tool to have it running too while working and correct things before anything.
Old 07-06-2015, 06:58 PM   #102
X-Raym

@heda
Quote:
Thanks for this
Nice work !

EDIT : have you consider outout overs as text items.on last touchd track (or on a rrack called overs) to be used with your brilliant crzate markers and regions from items notes script ?

Last edited by X-Raym; 07-06-2015 at 07:06 PM.
Old 07-06-2015, 07:23 PM   #103
heda

Yes X-Raym. I think I mentioned it here or in the patreon posts. Don't remember. Some code is already there for this.. for example if you create the track as "Overs Regions 100" it will pick the 100 number as starting idx number for the markers. or whatever number you put in there. Set it as a high enough number to avoid conflict with other existing regions or markers you may have. By default is 1000. But with this track you can customize it to whatever number you need. Next is to create the empty items in that track.
Old 07-06-2015, 10:16 PM   #104
kindafishy

Quote:
Well, for me it is really helping while mixing. I setup each group with a track analysis bus and then I can visually confirm the loudness of them relative to each other. It helps also training your ear for loudness if used constantly as a visual reference. It helps also to quickly spot something that is really low volume and you forgot it was there in the mix...
Then for film and post production, or broadcast industry, it is mandatory to always check loudness levels so it is a good tool to have it running too while working and correct things before anything.
Thanks. I can see how useful this would be.
kindafishy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2015, 10:22 PM   #105
hopi

ah ha... thanks Heda... I feel better now by far.... my confusion is lifting
Old 07-13-2015, 09:34 PM   #106
hopi

ummm just got and trying pre 17

not understanding something that happens...

I am using only regions for the overs... OK

so if I db clk a region in the graph, it makes a time selection in the arrange window... but it is not exactly the time selection I would expect...

I'll try to explain: the time selection is most often larger than the region in the the arrange window... now, if instead of doing the db clk in the graph, I do it on the region in the arrange window, I do get the expected result.

anyone else seeing this???

Also some thoughts and questions:

I wanted to make a custom action that would do this:

Make time selection of region under the mouse
create 4 points in the envelope of that time selection [vol. env]
go to next region

... and with a hot key, be able to just run that until there are points in the env. for every region... so that I could just go back to the env. and drag the line between the points down to reduce the vol. at each Over's region.

However I do not find actions that will do this... perhaps another 'cousin' script would do it????

I await your suggestions.... thanks so much
Old 07-14-2015, 12:03 AM   #107
heda

pre17 only fixes some bugs reported by X-Raym in the patreon pages
Sorry I didn't have time to do anything new on the overs treatment.

Don't double click in the regions. Just one click is good.
The time selection is shifted to the left. That's on purpose. It still may have to be adjusted a bit. It's experimental. I also should remove the temporary time selection, or restore previous time selection after the second pass is done and graph adjusted.

the 4 points are already added to the current selected envelope. but only for one region you click.
Old 07-14-2015, 08:34 AM   #108
hopi

ummm .... just got pre 18

so now I understand your thinking about the time selection being off set from the region... fine and dandy, makes sense now...

I do not find that 4 points get inserted to the vol. env. .... I can do it manually or with my own hot key but of course I have to have the focus on the arrange window and the desired envelope...

I am trying this with just one track... and regardless of trying to get the env. points on either that single track or on the Master... I don't see it happen.

What am I doing wrong please?

NOTE: I guess what I'd like to do is NOT do the Master, but be able to go one track at a time, fix those overs via the vol. env., and when those are all done... then have a look at the Master... right?
Old 07-15-2015, 02:08 AM   #109
heda

It works for me. Strange. To add the 4 points you have to have the envelope track selected before clicking on the region. That's the only thing I can think of you may be missing. Can you create a licecap gif to show what is happening?

The overs are detected only in the master for now. So you have to go and select which track envelope lane you want to adjust first. This is because it was a bit complex and I wanted to finish the code for the master track before entering in detecting overs for each track. I didn't have time to work more on it. Maybe I will consider releasing the script 1.0 version and leave the adjustments mode for version 2.0... because I may be busy with other things for another month.
Old 07-15-2015, 08:34 AM   #110
hopi

Heda... rather than a LICECap for the moment, here is an image screen capture that shows the story...

fyi, Win7-64 bit and reaper latest pre 64 bit

http://***************/a/img537/3248/WIr0T2.jpg
Old 07-15-2015, 09:27 AM   #111
heda

oh wait... maybe it is a stupid bug
I totally forgot one small detail. If REAPER is stopped, it should start playing to analyze etc.
Try the same while REAPER is playing.
So sorry. will fix for pre19
Old 07-15-2015, 02:27 PM   #112
hopi

well yes... reaper was stopped... reason being of course so I could deal with one portion at a time... LoL... nice to be on the same page again!
Old 07-15-2015, 02:50 PM   #113
hopi

ummm... Ok so trying it while reaper is running... now know that I have one track and only one track... and of course the Master... and there are no other FX or anything else on the track nor on the Master...

OK... so confusion enters [again]....

first, once an over is fixed on the track itself, I'd assume it would no longer show on the Master since the Master is only 'playing' what is sent to it, which in this case is only the one track. But that is not the case. I can fix an over on the track and then go back to the start and still see the Over show in the same place on the Master.... I don't get it????

next... doing the clk on the region while playing, so that it 'automatically' repairs the Over with vol. env. points seems to have some issues... there are sections where it put some points so low that nothing is heard there... and these areas are just a male vocal with nothing else there... that can't be right, eh? So again, I don't understand what is going on with that??

I know it is likely 'me' doing something wrong or setting something wrong but I'm clueless about what that is...

Oh... also... Save as default does not seem to work... when I reopen the graph it comes open without the settings I just put in. [Dark theme, Regions only, etc.]

Happy to wait for pre 19 if that is my problem.
Old 08-01-2015, 03:16 AM   #114
X-Raym

@TonE
I don't think it will be relevant as this script is track oriented.
We use busses to analyses post fx post fader track, not items loudness. There is SWS actions for that.
Old 08-13-2015, 03:55 AM   #115
ADDIKTION

Default Awesome

That's awesome Heda really! That's why we love REAPER.
Old 09-05-2015, 03:24 AM   #116
heda

Hello everybody.
I'm sorry for the lack of updates.
I've been some months without being able to find time for scripting, but now I'm back. This script is almost ready to be finished very soon. Cheers.
Old 09-05-2015, 03:31 AM   #117
vanhaze

Ooooh yes, can't wait !!
vanhaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2015, 05:01 AM   #118
X-Raym

We missed you :P
Old 09-05-2015, 12:06 PM   #119
heda

thanks
I'm fixing some more bugs and it's being hard because I didn't properly comment all the code and it's 2900 lines of bad organized code... LOL
now a spike appears in the graph when redrawing a zone when rewinding to another time and that was not happening to me before. I need to investigate it further.

The part of fixing the overs will wait maybe for a next release. It was not the main purpose of the script.

I am also updating the help page to be an HTML file with some gifs. I don't know how to open the local html file from Lua. I can do an http address, but not a local file:// address.. I don't know why.

here is the code I'm using to open a URL from Lua
Code:
function open_url(url)
  local OS=reaper.GetOS()
  if OS=="OSX32" or OS=="OSX64" then
  os.execute("open ".. url)
  else
  os.execute("start ".. url)
  end
end
using open_url("http://whatever...") works, but pen_url("file://...") does not. I don't know why. Maybe there is an easier way to open the html file. It should call your default browser or just open the html file with your associated program by default.
Old 09-05-2015, 12:35 PM   #120
vanhaze

Heda, this is all abracadabra for me; i have zero knowledge of scripting.

But i DO know your script will help me so much when making DJ mixes in Reaper.

It will allow me to quickly see and adjust all the different loudnesses of the tracks in the mix , so the overall loudness of the mix will sound much more coherent and master processing of the whole mix
can be more gentle applied.

Many thx for the effort !!
vanhaze is offline   Reply With Quote