Old 01-04-2015, 12:51 PM   #1
Human being with feelings

Default Problems with correlation meter

It`s actually (I believe) not a problem of Reaper, still I`ve decided to ask hear. Recently I`ve discovered that everything I really record (usually only vocals through condenser mic or DI el. guitars)gets the correlation that is almost fully at -1, while VSTi`s and samples don`t. They say it`s normal if the correlation meter is about 0 or leaning to 1, but if it`s getting to -1, that`s not good. And I really don`t know how to fix it and where to read about. I thought it`s somehow connected with panning of signal but it`s no use. So any ideas are appreciated. Thanks.
111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2015, 01:15 PM   #2
Lawrence

Samplers seem to be notorious for exaggerating the stereo images of their presets.

I think they do that to make the presets sound better to users, no clue, but I can go through Kontakt & Mach 5's best factory stereo patches / presets and the vast majority have very poor mono compatibility. So much so, that when I think there's any chance the end result might be played in mono I'll reduce the stereo spread of those sounds in the mix with plugins, per track.

I suspect that's what you're seeing. Unless you expect the result to be played in mono, don't worry about it, or reduce the stereo spread of those sampler presets until they correlate better.
Lawrence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2015, 01:21 PM   #3

Soo, the problem of correlation is interconnected with mono compatabiluty, right? I tried to reduce stereo using Wide knob, correlation meter didn`t change
Old 01-04-2015, 01:25 PM   #4
Lawrence

If the correlation meter is - after - the stereo width reduction it should. If it's inseted in a Reaper track and you're using the Reaper width control on the channel, that will be after the correlation meter i think so you won't see the meter reflect the change.

I always keep a correlation meter on my master bus so I can just solo anything and have a quick look.

Hope that helps.
Lawrence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2015, 01:58 PM   #5

Well, maybe later, I learn slow)
Strange, I`ve just found one of my broken projects and nothing there is in -1, only 0 and 1...I`ve done how you said, just inserted cor. meter on master and soloed every track. So I really can`t understand so far why sometimes there are not any problems with correlation and sometimes opposite...

Last edited by 111; 01-04-2015 at 03:32 PM.