Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER for Linux

Old 11-27-2019, 03:23 PM   #1
Pinknoise
Human being with feelings

Default Ubuntu Studio 19.10 can't make alsa work

Hello folks !

I've been trying to catch up with Linux it's been a hell of a ride !
I was warned the curve was steep but I was'nt expecting that steep!
But I'm stubborn so here I am !

I was able to make my little usb interface (NI Session) work on every other distro I tried and installing Reaper on many of them.

With cadence I found how but in the latest default Ubuntu Studio I can't select alsa in Reaper.
There is no cadence by default in this distro should I install it ?
Pulseaudio works, VLC and Youtube works also.
Usually it's the other way around with other distros. Reaper works and Youtube is a problem.

I busted my balls to get Linuxmint to work using KXStudio, and Wine for Linvst and carla and got it to work but it was unstable. Now I'll just make an install using native linux only and/or wine Reaper.

Any way I select the options in audio settings or patch qjack I can't select alsa in Reaper I always get this kind of message: Alsa can't select input bit depth of interface.

Can someone make a short step by step list of what should be done with freshly installed Ubuntu Studio 19.10 + Reaper to be able to select usb interface ?
Pinknoise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2019, 03:59 PM   #2
Glennbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinknoise View Post
Alsa can't select input bit depth of interface.
What bit depth is REAPER trying to use and does your sound device support it?

Also, what is Pulse audio set to use on it's mixer configuration tab? If it's your USB audio, try setting it to use mobo audio or HDMI audio and see if that has any effect. Don't know if it will change anything, but it's something to try.
Glennbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2019, 05:12 PM   #3
Pinknoise

I put Pulseaudio to none and now Jack is working low latency in Reaper baby ! Thank you !
Old 11-27-2019, 05:48 PM   #4
Pinknoise

I did'nt install 3rd party software because of problems with Nvidia but now youtube does'nt work. I've tried installing flash and chrome but it just tries to load videos and is stuck spinning eternally any idea ?
Java is enabled in Chrome.

Last edited by Pinknoise; 11-27-2019 at 05:53 PM.
Old 11-27-2019, 06:00 PM   #5
4duhwinnn

I think just turn on pulse when you want to browse with
google-chrome-stable.

There may be a way not to toggle forth and back by using
'jack sink', but I don't know or bother, prefer switching.
Cheers
4duhwinnn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2019, 06:34 PM   #6
Glennbo

I suppose another question worth asking might be whether the "Auto-Suspend Pulse Audio" box was ever checked on REAPER's audio setup dialog. Can't remember how it defaults.

I have always kept that box checked, but I use mobo audio for everything besides REAPER and used my USB audio device exclusively for REAPER only, so for me I don't know that it makes as much difference as it might to someone trying to use their outboard audio device for both.
Old 11-27-2019, 06:41 PM   #7
Pinknoise

Manage to make it work need the extension youtube-dl from Synaptic.

Also default software manager will give you this message when trying to install some packages: too early for operation device not yet seeded.
That's why I went with Synaptic. Needed to restart computer for the changes to take effect.

It's a labirynth Linux ! I understand completely why some people stay away from it. I'm just fueled by my hatred for Microsoft and Apple or else I would have given up long ago !
Old 11-27-2019, 07:10 PM   #8
Glennbo

Quote:
I'm just fueled by my hatred for Microsoft and Apple or else I would have given up long ago !
Microsoft drove me to Linux with their repeated brute force Windows 10 assault tactics on my Windows 7 computers.

The final nail in their coffin for me was when one of their attempts to turn my Win7 DAW into a Win10 DAW had a dialog box asking to install Windows 10 now or install Windows 10 later with no choice to not install it, AND clicking the "X" for that malware panel to Microsoft meant that you had responded to "Install this crap while I'm not looking".
Old 11-27-2019, 07:13 PM   #9
Pinknoise

Awfull practices.

By the way you also need to stop Jack from running for Youtube to work or else videos don't load.
Old 11-27-2019, 09:55 PM   #10
JamesPeters

It sounds like Ubuntu Studio's setup isn't necessarily very friendly for average computer use so much as it is set up specifically for DAW use. I had no problem making Pulse Audio work in several different common distros and also have ALSA work for Reaper. From there it's a matter of a few basic tweaks to get the best performance (not nearly as many as a lot of people make it seem necessary). It's actually just as easy to make it work for DAW use as Windows (in my case, better).
JamesPeters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2019, 09:40 PM   #11
s wave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glennbo View Post
I suppose another question worth asking might be whether the "Auto-Suspend Pulse Audio" box was ever checked on REAPER's audio setup dialog. Can't remember how it defaults.

I have always kept that box checked, but I use mobo audio for everything besides REAPER and used my USB audio device exclusively for REAPER only, so for me I don't know that it makes as much difference as it might to someone trying to use their outboard audio device for both.
Auto suspend pulse is important depending on what you want to do. I did not like Ubuntu that much... it was good but I had no flow on it... I was going to reverse the left right buttons for exit etc. but found distros that fit me better. I do the same glemmbo - for other operations it is the easy way to go.
s wave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2019, 08:09 PM   #12
Pinknoise

It's true it was easier on many other distros to make the interface work.
Once KXStudio is installed on any distro the interface works right away after selecting it.

Also on Ubuntu Studio I can't drag midi from Superior Drummer into Reaper it won't let me, I did'nt have this problem with other distros.

I prefer Mint but it freezes on Idle after a while.
Manjaro does'nt like my dual graphic cards. Buster neither.
Xubuntu works ok with some screen flickering.

Can't install KXstudio on Peppermint it's sad I like this distro, and the forum suggests another distro it's too far away to the end goal of lowlatency recording.

Ubuntu is probably the most stable among them for my computer but I need to tweak a lot to make it to my liking, it tends to break the more tweaks I make.

It's close but it seems there is no complete solution for my PC at this point, there is always something clunky. If I stick strictly to Reaper it's good but when you have a huge collection of plugins, it's a little sad...
Old 12-11-2019, 08:17 PM   #13
JamesPeters

Quote:
Xubuntu works ok with some screen flickering.
I've been using Xubuntu 19.10 since it was released.

Turn on the compositor in Window Manager Tweaks. That should fix it.

Also: Nvidia (proprietary) drivers work fine for me for the 2 cards I have used (GT1030, GTX 680). I can swap between them (or an AMD card) and reboot, every time the right driver is chosen and settings work fine. I was never that lucky in Windows when swapping video devices.
Old 12-11-2019, 09:15 PM   #14
Lokasenna

Funny thing... I hopped onto Ubuntu Studio at 18.04 and 19.10 is the first one where ALSA actually works for me. I didn't even change anything.
Old 12-11-2019, 10:04 PM   #15
Glennbo

I think the audio device might have an effect on what works. When I had two M-Audio Delta 2496 PCI cards, I had to use JACK audio to get both audio and midi to work, but when I switched to an external USB audio interface, ALSA worked fine with both audio and midi.

In both cases system audio was assigned to motherboard audio, but with the Delta cards I could never get midi to work with ALSA. With JACK I needed to use the -Xseq switch and then midi would work.
Old 12-21-2019, 08:42 AM   #16
Pinknoise

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesPeters View Post
I've been using Xubuntu 19.10 since it was released.

Turn on the compositor in Window Manager Tweaks. That should fix it.

Also: Nvidia (proprietary) drivers work fine for me for the 2 cards I have used (GT1030, GTX 680). I can swap between them (or an AMD card) and reboot, every time the right driver is chosen and settings work fine. I was never that lucky in Windows when swapping video devices.
I have installed Cinnamon desktop so the window manager you are suggesting is for XCFE. I will try a brand new install on another partition or VM and see how it goes with XFCE intact. I can revert back to XFCE when login but I prefer a fresh install, those extra desktop over the original I find less stable.

Last edited by Pinknoise; 12-21-2019 at 08:52 AM.
Old 12-21-2019, 10:10 AM   #17
JamesPeters

I agree. I'm sure there's a way of swapping desktops within a distro which is more foolproof, but I'm too much of a fool. I'm glad there are different "flavors" of various distros to save me the guesswork.