Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > MIDI Hardware, Control Surfaces, and OSC

Old 02-05-2020, 02:59 AM   #1
Garwyx
Human being with feelings

Default List of OSC-commands for TouchOSC (Android App)

Hey all,

Is there a complete list with all the OSC-commands available for TouchOSC? I now extract them from existing presets, which is tedious, and not everything I need is available.
Garwyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2020, 11:09 AM   #2
pljones

OSC is a protocol for transferring strings between devices (like MIDI is a protocol for sending binary messages between devices). Nothing more: there's no "set of strings" that definitely means something, in the same way that MIDI events don't definitely mean anything.

It's up to the device to decide what to do - and Reaper lets you map the strings however you want in a couple of ways:
- Actions->Show Action List
- Options->Preferences->Control/OSC/Web, then "Pattern config" for the OSC control surface - i.e. a ReaperOSC file

For Actions->Show Action List, find the action you want to trigger, click the "Add" button in the "Shortcuts for selected action" box, then send your OSC command. When you close out of the Show Action List window, your OSC command should then trigger the action.

The Default.ReaperOSC lives in %APPDATA%\REAPER\OSC and contains a list of all the known bindings, with (some) descriptions. The binding file has the "benefit" that it's bidirectional - in as much as Reaper sends out the equivalent string to what it receives. It also parses and formats parameter values helpfully.

The Action List approach allows more flexibility in that you can trigger your own scripts... but the integration is limited in that there's no simple way to trigger an outgoing OSC message from a script. Also, parameter support is limited.

Last edited by pljones; 02-07-2020 at 12:05 PM.
pljones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2020, 01:51 AM   #3
Garwyx

Thanks for your reply. There is so much information in the default .ReaperOSC-file! I have created a custom file a long time ago, but there are many things very different in there (if I remember correctly, I based that file on the Logictouch template). Back to the drawing board .
Garwyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2020, 09:18 AM   #4
ivansc

GULP! I just got interested in OSC again, especially TouchOSC which I have working fine.
But the Logic pad & LogicTouch layouts leave a fair bit that I would like to change, but looking at the data in that file within Appdata\reaper\ It all looks above my paygrade. Is there any way for a non-codehead like me to figure out how to do things like edit titles on faders, etc.?
Old 03-06-2020, 04:27 PM   #5
pljones

If you just want to change the look of a TouchOSC app, then there's no interaction with Reaper -- it's done in the TouchOSC Editor application.

It's only if you want to start changing the behaviour of the app you need to understand the interaction.
Old 03-09-2020, 02:29 AM   #6
ivansc

downloaded the TouchOSC editor but I dont seem to be able to get it to play nice for me.
Any suggestions?
Old 03-13-2020, 10:32 AM   #7
pljones

Not sure what you mean. What have you tried and what's not working? And what are you trying to do? There's a lot of scope for it not playing nicely..!
Old 03-15-2020, 02:55 AM   #8
ivansc

I have been hunt and pecking with this application & getting nowhere.
Zero explanation that I can find about what the various labels, functions, etc., are supposed to do & so far all I have managed to do is add a large horizontal rectangle with the word "track" in it, which does nothing.

I cant find any explanation as to how it is supposed to work or indeed where I can find the various templates provided with TouchOSC to import & change them.

Last edited by ivansc; 03-15-2020 at 03:04 AM.
ivansc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2020, 06:34 AM   #9
pljones

There's a manual: https://hexler.net/docs/touchosc-editor
The sample layouts should have been in the ZIP file you downloaded the editor in. If they weren't, you've not downloaded the official ZIP.
Old 03-15-2020, 11:02 AM   #10
ivansc

Just checked & YES I do have them. Win10 changed the way the downloads are displayed recently & I keep forgetting where to look!

As soon as I opened that link, I recalled reading that article on the editor, wading through a fair bit of it & getting totally lost. I will keep trying & hope it gets a little clearer... Thanks for the help.
Old 03-17-2020, 12:14 AM   #11
pljones

It takes a while for it to make any kind of sense!