Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > newbieland

Old 03-23-2020, 10:33 AM   #1
lmcd
Human being with feelings

Default Record Monitoring sounds...doubled/chorused

Hi all,

Upon firing up Reaper after a long hiatus to record some new tunes, I find the vocals sound Doubled/Chorused in the headphones. What's stranger is that it is *fine* on the track, just not in the monitor. I don't have any FX running.

I am going through a MIC channel on a LINE6 Toneport UX2. I find it really odd that it never happened before. Thanks!

Stay well, everyone,
Laura
lmcd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2020, 10:36 AM   #2
DarkStar

It sounds (npi) like you have Direct Monitoring [#] enabled in your UX6. So you are hearing the audio before it is sent to your computer / Reaper and when it it received back from Reaper.

[#] it may be called something-else in the UX6 user manual.
Old 03-23-2020, 11:06 AM   #3
solger

Quote:
Originally Posted by lmcd View Post
... What's stranger is that it is *fine* on the track, just not in the monitor. I don't have any FX running...
Just in case: have you also already double-checked the Monitor FX chain (View > Monitoring FX) for any active plugins?
Old 03-23-2020, 11:18 AM   #4
lmcd

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkStar View Post
It sounds (npi) like you have Direct Monitoring [#] enabled in your UX6. So you are hearing the audio before it is sent to your computer / Reaper and when it it received back from Reaper.

[#] it may be called something-else in the UX6 user manual.

Thank you for your response. That's exactly what it sounds like; however, I'm not running any of its intermediary software - going straight through REAPER.

That said, I *do* have RECORD MONITORING: ON enabled in Reaper. I wouldn't know how to hear myself otherwise (?)
Old 03-23-2020, 11:41 AM   #5
lmcd

Quote:
Originally Posted by solger View Post
Just in case: have you also already double-checked the Monitor FX chain (View > Monitoring FX) for any active plugins?
I have looked and there are no FX there.
Old 03-23-2020, 11:57 AM   #6
Kenny Gioia

Quote:

That said, I *do* have RECORD MONITORING: ON enabled in Reaper. I wouldn't know how to hear myself otherwise (?)
Turn it off. Do you still hear yourself?
Kenny Gioia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2020, 12:00 PM   #7
lmcd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenny Gioia View Post
Turn it off. Do you still hear yourself?
No, I cannot hear myself at all.
Old 03-23-2020, 12:23 PM   #8
solger

What are the current settings under Preferences > Audio > Device (can you maybe post a screenshot)?

And are the headphones working fine when connected to other devices (just to rule those out as possible issue source)?
Old 03-23-2020, 01:32 PM   #9
lmcd

Quote:
What are the current settings under Preferences > Audio > Device (can you maybe post a screenshot)?

And are the headphones working fine when connected to other devices (just to rule those out as possible issue source)?
When I go through Gearbox (which is a standalone software F/X modeler that comes with the Line6 Toneport UX2 USB Audio interface), it sounds just fine. This is only when I go through REAPER.

I'm attaching the screenshot as requested (thank you!)
Attached Images
File Type: png screenshoyt.png (50.3 KB, 164 views)
Old 03-23-2020, 01:46 PM   #10
lmcd

Quote:

Oh, and to make things more interesting, my Midi keyboard controller is going into my laptop via a usb, which Reaper picked up nicely. I'm using an AddictiveKeys plugin and this is not happening on that.

???
Old 03-23-2020, 03:35 PM   #11
DarkStar

Quote:
Thank you for your response. That's exactly what it sounds like; however, I'm not running any of its intermediary software - going straight through REAPER.

Sorry for the confusion, I was not referring to the "Record Monitoring: On" in Reaper. I meant audio going directly from the UX2 Mic input to its output. Are you sure that that is not happening?

I did find this (my underlining):
Quote:
Phones- To listen using stereo headphones, plug them into this 1/4-inch stereo jack. This headphone jack outputs the same signal fed to the Analog Outs: The audio from your audio software on the computer, as well as the monitor signal from anything plugged into any UX2 input.
Also, if you are using Windows, check out the "Listen" tab in the Sound / Recording device Properties. I saw something that may help, in the POD Farm 2 Basic User Guide:

Quote:
On Windows Vista® and Windows® 7 only, you’ll also see this “Listen” tab once you click the Properties button from the Recording tab screen. The “Listen to Device” checkbox and “Playback through...” menu, when configured as shown above, route any audio that is fed into an input on your Default Recording Device to the selected Playback device. For example, this allows you to hear an instrument, mic, or line in source plugged into your UX2 through the UX2 outputs - which you would not otherwise be able to hear unless running the POD Farm 2 standalone application (or if running a
DAW application that offers input monitoring features).

Note that once this “Listen to this device” box is checked, however, it will always route input audio to the device’s output. This may not be what you want when using POD Farm 2 and/or DAW software, since you’ll likely prefer to monitor only your POD Farm 2 processed or DAW track signal! Since this also utilizes the Windows ® audio driver and internal routing, the input signal suffers a bit of delay before heard through your monitors (i.e. - not a “low latency” functionality, unlike the POD Farm 2 ToneDirect Monitoring and the ASIO audio driver provide). Therefore, it is not recommended to check this option with POD Farm 2 or DAW software running.

Last edited by DarkStar; 03-23-2020 at 03:50 PM.
DarkStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2020, 04:34 PM   #12
lmcd

Quote:
Sorry for the confusion, I was not referring to the "Record Monitoring: On" in Reaper. I meant audio going directly from the UX2 Mic input to its output. Are you sure that that is not happening?

I did find this (my underlining):

Also, if you are using Windows, check out the "Listen" tab in the Sound / Recording device Properties. I saw something that may help, in the POD Farm 2 Basic User Guide:

I first thought "Eureka!!!" I'm in Windows 10, and there is a slight difference. In Sound/Recording it was actually pointing to the new webcam I installed. Wow - this is finally it!!! I changed it to the UX2 driver and thought "that's that!"

Unfortunately - nope - it's still happening.
Old 03-23-2020, 04:39 PM   #13
DarkStar

Did you find “Listen to this device”? And did you turn it off?
Old 03-23-2020, 04:39 PM   #14
lmcd

Quote:

Okay this is weird - I changed the setting as described. However, look at this screen shot when I belted out a couple of notes:

HOWEVER: when I unplug the webcam - it's still happening~
Attached Images
File Type: png ss2.png (28.5 KB, 138 views)
Old 03-24-2020, 04:17 AM   #15
DarkStar

I've never really understood those Windows sound devices. And Windows 10 is beyond me.
Old 03-24-2020, 04:21 AM   #16
solger

The audio device settings screenshot of Reaper in post #9 looks fine.

Since you're using ASIO in Reaper, the Windows Sound Settings (which are using the WDM/WASAPI drivers) shouldn't normally have any direct effect on recording/playback in Reaper.
But maybe check if there might be any Audio Enhancements enabled: https://technicallyeasy.net/disable-...ts-windows-10/

-------------------------------

For testing purposes, you might also try the following:
  • Does it make any difference when using, for instance, WASAPI as audio system in Reaper (instead of ASIO)?
  • Or when disabling all of the other recording & playback device entries in the Windows Sound Settings ** - so only the TonePort ones are enabled?

** via Right-Click > Disable: https://winaero.com/blog/wp-content/...ble-Device.png

Last edited by solger; 03-24-2020 at 04:43 AM.
solger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2020, 10:11 AM   #17
lmcd

Quote:
The audio device settings screenshot of Reaper in post #9 looks fine.

Since you're using ASIO in Reaper, the Windows Sound Settings (which are using the WDM/WASAPI drivers) shouldn't normally have any direct effect on recording/playback in Reaper.
But maybe check if there might be any Audio Enhancements enabled: https://technicallyeasy.net/disable-...ts-windows-10/

-------------------------------

For testing purposes, you might also try the following:
  • Does it make any difference when using, for instance, WASAPI as audio system in Reaper (instead of ASIO)?
  • Or when disabling all of the other recording & playback device entries in the Windows Sound Settings ** - so only the TonePort ones are enabled?

** via Right-Click > Disable: https://winaero.com/blog/wp-content/...ble-Device.png
Was unsuccessful in getting DAW to respond when changing off of the audio interface driver. Plus it gave me a bunch of error windows. I believe on the Toneport is already the only device enabled in the recording/playback settings. (Thank you!)
Old 03-24-2020, 10:26 AM   #18
DarkStar

Possible stupid question:
Could it be that the webcam mic is picking up the sound from the monitors and feeding it back out to the monitors?

Do you hear any chorused sound if Reaper is not running?
Old 03-24-2020, 10:28 AM   #19
DarkStar

Looking at the screenshot in post #9, are those input correct? (First: Send 3, Last: Send 1)?
Old 03-24-2020, 10:46 AM   #20
lmcd

Quote:
Possible stupid question:
Could it be that the webcam mic is picking up the sound from the monitors and feeding it back out to the monitors?

Do you hear any chorused sound if Reaper is not running?
Oh, do I wish that were so. I disconnected the webcam completely and it still did that. If Reaper is not running and I'm going through, let's say Gearbox (Line6's modeling software), it sounds just fine.
Old 03-24-2020, 10:47 AM   #21
lmcd

Quote:
Looking at the screenshot in post #9, are those input correct? (First: Send 3, Last: Send 1)?
I did that I believe when I was trying to run Mic1 & Inst1 sends through the audio interface for a livestream (which didn't work - neither Zoom nor Youtube recognizes a second feed, at least when *I* tried).
Old 03-24-2020, 10:50 AM   #22
DarkStar

. . .
Quote:
Did you find “Listen to this device”? And did you turn it off?
I keep seeing "ToneDirect Monitoring" mentioned in the documentation

And, are you running the POD Farm software too?
Old 03-25-2020, 08:55 AM   #23
lmcd

Quote:
. . .

I keep seeing "ToneDirect Monitoring" mentioned in the documentation

And, are you running the POD Farm software too?
No, I am not running PODFARM. It doesn't happen when I go through something not-REAPER.

I'm going to download a free trial of another DAW and see if it happens with that one. I'll keep you posted.

Thanks for staying with this. It is quite maddening.
Old 03-25-2020, 10:13 AM   #24
solger

If the issue persists:

Does it only happen in specific projects? Or in general (regardless if using a new project or opening an existing one)?

For testing purposes: maybe also try making a fresh portable Reaper install to a separate folder (side-by-side to your existing install) to check if the behavior is the same there:
http://lacinato.com/cm/blog/25-reaperportable
Old 03-25-2020, 10:17 AM   #25
lmcd

Quote:
If the issue persists:

Does it only happen in specific projects? Or in general (regardless if using a new project or opening an existing one)?

For testing purposes: maybe also try making a fresh portable Reaper install to a separate folder (side-by-side to your existing install) to check if the behavior is the same there:
http://lacinato.com/cm/blog/25-reaperportable
It happens in every project, new,old, etc. I've downloaded a free trial of Cubase and will see if it happens there.

Stay tuned.....
Old 03-26-2020, 06:22 AM   #26
lmcd

Default SOLVED

First off, thank you everyone for hanging in there with me. I really appreciate the generosity of your time and attention.

I hopped on a phone call with my IT guru back in Taos, New Mexico (where I lived for 12 years). He logged in and we were troubleshooting for about an hour. He's also a musician so he was comfortable with the hardware setup as well.

It appears that the problem is the hardware itself - the Toneport UX66 digital audio interface is throwing random signals and needs to be replaced. It *is* 10 years old, so I'm sure my replacement will be well warranted.

In case anyone is curious, I'll be replacing it with an Audient product, haven't decided on the model yet, it's between 2 of them.

Thanks again! Stay creative!
Laura
Old 03-26-2020, 07:17 AM   #27
solger

Great to hear that the mystery is solved